The farmer and the broken ankle

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

No, it's not the first line of an old joke. Stan has a broken ankle. I can't even begin to explain why, but it seems to be taking at least 6 people to replace him (there seems to have been 11 last night), and that's with him out on a rank old pair of crutches micro managing us all. I am basically the fence manager, fresh cow and newborn calf wrangler and chief executive in charge of putting cows in and letting them back out. We have at least 3 milkers who will rotate out and possibly a neighbor boy to come and learn the ropes in case of an emergency (what! another one??). Oy.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

oh wow Kathleen~

Can I come help you????

I do hope he gets well soon.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sorry to hear the bad news. Tell Stan to take it easy & heal properly.
Big draw back to farming, very hard to take sick leave!
Have a Great Day!
Bernie

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

Kathleen we will be keeping you and Stan in our thoughts I don't envy you having the farm to keep running and having to sit on him too I have the feeling that would be like keeping me down and I come from along line of hard heads when geatgrandma knew that greatgrandpa was going live with us she told mother that you had to take a piss elm club to his head every now them

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

LOL, hmmmm, I'll have to find me one of those.

Right now, he's gone off to his brother's place to drop off some shingles for the parsonage and "look at the heifers." This is the first time he's driven since the break, thank goodness we now have all automatic transmissions. The break is in his left ankle down near the heel on the outside. It is apparently still lined up and there hasn't been a lot of pain and the swelling is going down. He has an aircast to hold it in line, which he's now wearing after his daughter the PA read him the riot act. He has an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon on Wednesday. We will know more then.

I appreciate all your thoughts and prayers. My granddaughter just told me that her mother told her to watch ME to make sure I don't over do. HAH, that's pretty funny!

Lisa, get up here, girl! You could learn how to milk a real animal!

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Hey... If only I had some extra vacation time.. I would LOVE to come and help with the milking..

Instead on my vacation this year, Hubby and I went to Oregon.. Guess who I finally got to meet? Yep... MaryE.. It was a quick meeting.. I was traveling with some of my family that had my time planned down to the nanosecond. Got to see some of that amazingly beautiful country she talks about though..

I'll think happy thoughts for you and Stan , Kathleen.. I really do wish I could come and help.. Too bad you aren't closer.

kj

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm sorry to hear this bad news. I'll keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers. How did he break it? I broke my hel bone once. Very painful if I put weight on it. I wonder why they didn't put a regular cast on it? Of course if it swelled like mine did you couldn't do ice pack therapy as well. Swelling is why I cut my cast off after about 5 days. Didn't have an aircast, just kept it wrapped in an ace bandage. Make sure he eats extra protein and calcium to help it heal.

It sounds as tho you have taken on quite a list of extra duties. Please do take care of yourself. Can't you delegate some of those 'new' tasks to those who are coming in to help?

GOD bless and keep you and yours.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Kathleen, you and Stan will both be in my thoughts and prayers. Oh, I can just see Lisa milking a cow and Stan supervising. Lisa, you'll need to wear shoes for this!

Yes, it was fun to meet KathyJo and her DH. We squeezed in a quick meeting after their busy day, and hubby's office potluck that happens once a year in his bosses back yard, so we were already in town. I wish we'd had more time, but we had a good visit, and maybe can improve on it another time.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Thank you all for your well wishes and offers to hike over here and help. We've actually had plenty of help most of the time.

Today, neighbors and friends are going to finish up a wood bee (or frolic, depending on which part of the country you're from) that started Thursday night after most of them got off work. Last night, there were three guys in the basement stacking and four guys in the back yard splitting and tossing down. I fed them cookies. Today, I have five dozen boughten doughnuts and four gallons of cider to keep things moving along. We're going to order pizza for those who are here for lunch - I couldn't even think of putting together a meal like Mom and Grandma used to get for the harvest crews - just too darn tired. We tested milk last night, Stan started out doing the weighing and recording while, Josh, our regular relief milker milked. Stan got through the first ten or so, but had to quit, so I went out and finished up. Stan came back to wash up while I got cookies for the kids that helped with chores and the guy in the back yard. It is kind of a zoo here!

The swelling is going down. He not only broke it, but sprained it badly and has had swelling to his knee. Yesterday, he got an old sneaker on and said it actually felt good. He has one hay field down and the regrowth on the oats mowed. The hay will get baled into regular square bales and the oats into big round bales that we'll wrap for baleage - it won't have to dry down that way. When he got done mowing, he said that haying is done for this year. About time!

We were supposed to be in Kentucky this weekend, seeing our daughter and son-in-law and grandbabies, oh, and Lisa and Melody and Sharon, too. I got just a bit cranky on Thursday, which was the day we were supposed to leave, but I know it would not be good or easy either one for Stan to ride for 11 hours, even if we took it over a couple of days, so here we are.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Kathleen, you have my sympathy.............trying to do EVERYTHING while the Spousal Unit is laid up is the pits. Ask me how I know this. How did he break it? My SU broke his arm about 10 years ago when a sow came up at him over the top of the farrowing crate. He saw her coming (he was in the little pig area of the crate doing something with the little ones) and put his arm up to deflect her. Hard headed sow on his arm was no contest; SU lost. It was a Sunday; Super Bowl Sunday to boot, and I don't think the ER crew was very happy. LOL He was in a cast for 6 weeks, and ended up being a couple weeks longer because it wasn't healing like it was supposed to. I wonder why????

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

lol, wonder why indeed! Stan was stepping down off a tractor, something he does a dozen times a day, hit a bit of uneven ground and though he rolled with it, it snapped. I don't know what his doc is going to say next week - he's been on and off tractors, crutching it after cows, and last night we were chasing a heifer who was trying to calve and avoid us at the same time. Me with my two bad knees, him with his crutches (one of which he threw at her, twice) and the 10 month old border collie who thinks he knows a lot more than he does - must have been hilarious to watch. I told him that we definitely need to get some one who can walk. The poor boy who was milking didn't know which of us to listen to and seemed a bit unsure at one point if we were yelling at him or the dog.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Oh Kathleen, wish we were coming that way. You know Ralph would love to be milking those cows and helping out and I could help you make cookies...ha, ha......I'm not that good at chasing cows that are about ready to calf!

I thank God every day that Ralph hasn't come down with something or hurt himself, but then I remember 10 years ago when we had the bad auto wreck and he was laid up for many, many months and sooooo many people were there to help, to include the army from Ft. Knox!

God provides. Hugs to both of you.
K & R

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Hey, Kathy, thanks. We've got lots of help for now. What I'm most worried about is when Stan and/or the doc decide he's well enough to go back to full time.

We've had some adventures this week. Yesterday morning, I heard Stan holler and looked out to see a backyard full of frolicking cows. A gate had been left open right behind the barn and they found it as soon as he let them out. They went back in fairly well, but I'm going to have to leave a sweatshirt hanging on the back door for such emergencies - it's toooo cold out lately to be running around in a short sleeved cotton shirt!

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Maybe it's time to retire! :) I dream of the day...........
Have you had a frost yet?
And you know that the animals will find an open door, even if they can't see it.......I believe they can smell it.
So sorry for all you guys are going through.........

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I am so thankful we no longer have cattle!! I loved them but it just got to be too much for me. The children were growing up and leaving home so help was dwindling. It was just time to get out. Jack was no help with the livestock. They just were of no interest to him. He had helped his dad & the hired men because he was part of the partnership but he didn't like to. He did the crops and machinery end of the farming.

I pray Stan is giving his body a chance to heal. He can't/won't heal if he keeps himself upset, overworked, etc. all the time. I do feel sorry for the boy in situations like that. I've been in that positions in jobs where there were 2 or more supervisors giving conflicting sounding orders.

Are you having frosts yet? Is all your gardening done and the canning/freezing mostly done? I don't know if we ever really get done.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Actually, Stan's been quite calm. We brought heifers from his brother's today, some in where the dry cows had been, some here. I was really mad when I saw the tractor hitched to the trailer. "Why are you so mad?" he says. Yeesh. I called our oldest daughter and she and her 13 yr old son came and helped right after we got the first load in the trailer. There were two little girls who hadn't gone in the barn, but we stunned them into good behavior with our very quiet stare down and got a gate across the back barn door, so everyone was corralled and the second load was as easy to load as the first had been.

We've had some light frosts, but I think tonight is going to be the killer. I need to go out and pick the last of the broccoli, I picked the last of the strawflowers yesterday. Everything else is pretty much gone or will survive. There are some self-sown spinach seedlings and some carrots and that's it.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Stan got into his new 8 inch workshoes this morning. He was going over to his brother's to grind corn. His brother had a stroke over the weekend. Now we have to pull together a wood bee for them!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sorry to hear that. I hope it wasn't really bad.
Everyone get well fast!
Bernie

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Bernie. It isn't good - there's a bleed in his brain, but they aren't saying much yet as he's going to be going through a bunch of tests over the next couple of days. He's alert and only a little slurred in his speech, but my daughter the PA says bleeding strokes are bad. Stan's got a guy to do morning chores for him, and one of the kids who has been doing chores will switch off night chores with his sister and a cousin. Stan's probably going up later with his mom. Maybe they'll know more then.

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Kathleen, Our choir director, who is mid fifties, had a bleeding stroke in January. The end of Sept. he had to resign his position as vp of a bank. He can't always drive and has to walk with a cane now. He has quite a gait. And they put him on medicine that has made him gain a lot of weight, seizure medications. Since his stroke, he has had 2 seizures which landed him back in the hospital. His rehab was about 2 mths for the first stroke.

It is sad to see him like this, as he was so busy and so vibrant. He has a good outlook on life though and just keeps on ticking. His wife gets on him when he is doing too much.

I will keep Stan's brother in our prayers and continue to pray for you and Stan. Boy, when it rains it pours, doesn't it.

Hugs,
Kathy

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm sorry to hear of the stroke. If it continues to bleed it can indeed be more serious because the pressure in/on the brain will increase causeing more damage. The sooner they can find where it is bleeding and get it stopped the better.

You and Stan really don't need extra stress right now but it sounds as tho you are both handling it very well. Were do you get all the energy? Please bottle some and send it to me. I need some more energy to get everything done.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images