Post #5600909

I'm off to get some pics for you Terri.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2008
11:28 AM

Post #5601178

Thanks for the new thread Sue, now you hurry back with your spring gardens for us!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

September 26, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #5602073

Thanks for the new thread Sue. While we are waiting.. here's a few flowers from my garden which is winding down.

A few Dahlias here, the yellow crocosmia in the pot didn't flower, so I'm going to put it in the ground and hope it flowers next year!!

Thumbnail by terriculture
Click the image for an enlarged view.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

September 26, 2008
3:56 PM

Post #5602084

Nasturtiums (sp)?

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #5602102

Very nice end of seasons photos. Isn't it funny how all of a sudden the dahlias appear to be everywhere? I guess I am just noticing them more because they are lonely blooms these days.
Those nasturtiums are just as vibrant as they could possibly be.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

September 26, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #5602103

Chinese lantern with spider!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2008
4:00 PM

Post #5602105

Nice, my lanterns are still green as can be!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

September 26, 2008
4:03 PM

Post #5602117

I love them when they are green!!! Over the fence, my neighbours fuschia is looking good!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2008
4:04 PM

Post #5602123

Now that is gorgeous! Reminds me I killed one once.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

September 26, 2008
4:16 PM

Post #5602162

hahaha! so did I. My neighbour has given me cuttings and small plants several times, they just don't grow on this side of the fence!!!!!!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

September 27, 2008
10:28 AM

Post #5605017

*Huff, puff* Sorry I'm late. Lovely pics Terri. My Grandad used to grow Fuschias, and we used to twirl them by the stem and pretend they were ballerinas.
I went out in the garden and never came back in! Hubby had me working like a dog in the garden today too, but it looks terrific! We have visitors (on his side) next weekend, so we're in clean up and impress mode! Pffftttt!
This is my most vibrant Clivia. There are bunches of them out at the mo, but this one is always the best
Oh my aching back!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

September 27, 2008
10:29 AM

Post #5605018

heres what I was told is an Evening Primrose? This is the first year I have had them, and am happy for them to self seed everywhere.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

September 27, 2008
10:30 AM

Post #5605021

this is a Hippeastrium (or Amyrallis) my sister gave me a few years ago. It has about 4 bulbs now and a couple of flower stems.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

September 27, 2008
10:32 AM

Post #5605023

this is the Native violet that is growing like crazy in all the shadey spots. I like it too.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

September 27, 2008
10:33 AM

Post #5605026

A variegated Japanese Iris flower, the first since I planted it 2 years ago! There is a little spider on the right hand top flower.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 28, 2008
11:08 PM

Post #5610657

Your company is gonna be quite impressed! That clivia is wonderful!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

September 29, 2008
10:15 AM

Post #5612023

Thanks Candee. I'm really loving the garden and the weather right now! I'm making the most of it before the heat of summer sets in and sizzles everything, and the bark will soon be peeling off the gums and falling throughout the garden, squashing and breaking plants as it does. But lets not think about that right now. Whats happening with your season at the moment?
Are you going into Autumn/Fall?
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2008
11:19 AM

Post #5612136

Yep, fall season here. Temps nice in the 70's and not humid, cool evenings which I really like about in the 50-60 range. Soon the trees will be changing colors and that is always a lovely site especially up at the cabin.
I have most of my tropicals already taken inside, i.e., pineapples, jasmine, caladium, elephant ears, pineapple lily. Still need to bring in the passiflora, vigna caracalla and bromliad. The passiflora and vigna are still blooming.
I also need to pull up all the dahlias and wash and dry the tubers for next year, but they are blooming profusely right now as well.
Also been deadheading the spent zinnias to gather their seed for next year, so mostly just winterizing here.

So that bark off the gums, is it quite heavy? What makes it peel away? Guess I need to look up gum trees.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

September 29, 2008
10:35 PM

Post #5614620

Lovely flowers Sue. I'm sure your visitors will love it. How is the new shade house coming along?
I thought evening primrose was yellow? Is the Clivia from a bulb? it looks really special. Love your Iris, well worth the wait!!
There's not much flowering here, it's Autumn for sure and every year I wish I had planted more for late colour!!
I guess it's time to enjoy the foliage and the lovely autumn colours, seed heads and berries.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2008
11:50 AM

Post #5616412

I looked up the gum trees, had no idea they were eucalyptus, again I learn somethin new every day. Now just wish I could remember some of it LOL!
About the only thing really bloomin here is the black eyed susans and the dahlias but those dahlias are soon to come inside. Oops forgot those couple passiflora and vignas that will have to come in as well. I'll soon be taking pics of my inside garden which is the end of my bedroom and a bit cramped, but serves the purpose for the winter.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

October 2, 2008
9:23 AM

Post #5624152

The gum bark varies, as each species ahs different types, i.e stringy, papery and flakey. I don't mind the flakey stuff, but the stringy stuff comes off in pieces up to 3mtres long! Its just messy really. Mostly too big to mow up.
I'm sooo glad I don't have to bring plants in for the change of season. I can't remember how it was when living in a cooler climate, because I wasn't really into plants then anyway.
Yes Terri, I have the yellow one, (evening primrose) but this pink one was given to me with the same name. I should put it in the ID forum and see what it really is. Later! The Clivias are a bit like an Agapanthus in the bulbous root. They grow very well from seed, and form clumps also, which devide easy. They are quite shade and drought tolerant, so perfect for under trees.
I've got alot in flower, but most you have seen already. I got one foxglove self seeded, and it's almost out in bloom.
Here is part of the Bromeliad garden today. Some of the old bromeliad flowers look even better than when they were in full bloom!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2008
1:05 PM

Post #5624608

Your broms look very satisfied in their setting, what an inviting place to view.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 2, 2008
4:43 PM

Post #5625413

Thanks for the info on the plants Sue. OOOOhhhhhhhh wish I was one of your visitors, really need some warm sunshine! The bromelaid garden looks so exotic and makes me want to be there!
Think I'll be organising a trip from the cafe over to your place sue! I have a London bus to take us through cyber space, hope you don't mind if we crash at your paradise for the weekend? Is the swimming pool warm yet?
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

October 3, 2008
7:28 AM

Post #5628069

The pool is 24 degrees celcius, or about 80 degrees farenheit. I have been cleaning it all week, adding soda ash, salt and a splash of chlorine, but it looks pretty good and sparkly actually. Took a sample to the pool shop and they said it's perfect! Yahoo!
I'll be swimming tomorrow! Wanted to go in this arvy, but i was dirty from work, and didn't want to dirty the sparkly water!
Everyone come on over! Bring a tent, a caravan or sleep under the starts! theres heaps of room and I'd love to have you all. I'll put on a cheese and dip platter, or fruit platter, plus beer and wine!
See you there!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 3, 2008
3:50 PM

Post #5629210

Gorgeous Iris Sue! they don't do very well in my garden. Infact I dont have any!!!
The pool sounds fabulous, can't wait to get in!!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

October 4, 2008
4:19 AM

Post #5631542

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/909478/
Jump on in Terri
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #5636973

Oh the pool sounds splendid 80, back here we need that. We have gotten in the hottub a couple times already and just hate to get out, so may pop over the next time we submerge!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

October 6, 2008
10:26 AM

Post #5638405

I'm just loving this foxglove! I wish there were more of them!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2008
11:42 AM

Post #5638514

This is a pretty one Sue, so there is just the one? How did you let that happen?

BTW, how many more blonde moments do you think I will have before I am completely crazed??? I posted my recent flowers in the garden on the last thread? duh!

This message was edited Oct 6, 2008 7:47 AM
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 6, 2008
11:54 AM

Post #5638539

Hahahahaha you're so funny Candee! I'll go and see your flowers in the other thread then!!

Sue, you will have millions of seeds from that foxglove, lots more to look forward to.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

October 7, 2008
7:35 AM

Post #5642296

I had millions of seeds from last years lot, but I must've mulched too well. I'll have to learn to either sow them in seed trays, or keep a clear patch of ground to get the seeds going in. Doh!
I'll go look at your pics too Candee. I'm also about to go and start the grand opening of the Flowerpot Cafe', so get your frocks on!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 8, 2008
10:09 AM

Post #5646053

Hi Sue and Candee,
I jumped into Sue's pool and forgot to come up! I'm Having a lovely time down under.

My garden is looking a complete mess. We had a storm last night which blew down my jasmine arch, can't get down the path at all now!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 8, 2008
10:16 AM

Post #5646059

The view from the other side...
I haven't got the energy to sort it out!!

Still not feeling good, can't seem to shake of this cough and head cold.
Thanks for the new cafe' thread Sue. I'll be along there soon.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2008
11:35 AM

Post #5646162

Oh no, I do wish I could be there to help you pick up the pieces. do you usually cut back the jasmine for the winter, if so that could help the sorting a lot.
Do wish you were getting better instead of lingering with that cold stuff. You likely overdid yourself and just didn't tell us. Now don't worry bout that arbor, there is plenty of time of get it straightened out and will be much easier if you have a clear head and fit body. Take it easy and you will see!

I had to bring in the vigna and passi the other day due to potential frost and what a mess sorting that was as well, the vigna had rooted to the isle and the vines half blooming and half not all intertwined and could not bring in due to space issues unless cut way back. Same with the passi and that had twined and captured everything in its path as well.

Now do get yourself well, try some hot tea with lemon (I know you don't like it, but try it)! Better yet put a drop of rum in it and you shall be amazed how that may clear your head.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 10, 2008
5:15 PM

Post #5655554

Hi Candee, Thanks for the well wishes, my cough is still lingering, it's keeping me awake! It's good to have friends to chat to in the middle of the night!!!!!
Are you expecting frost all ready??? seems summer was so short this year.

I haven't done much with the arch yet, just tied it to the Forsythia next to it for now.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2008
6:41 AM

Post #5735896

Good luck to all of you who have to move your plants indoor for the winter. I tend to be on the lazy side, so I have very few frost tender plants. I did try growing a plumeria once - keep it alive for a few years but it never bloomed. I forgot to move it into the corner of the porch early enough two years ago and it died. So, I stopped trying to grow plants that I cannot leave outside. I applaud all of you for your diligence in taking such good care of your tender plants.

Sue - it is refreshing to see all your new blooms as we are getting into our winter months. Soda ash in your pool - that is something new for me. I am now the new caretaker of our pool so I am learning how to care for it. What does the soda ash do?

Terri - hope you are fully recuperated now.

Here's a photo from last week. This is the end of much of the color in my garden.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 31, 2008
6:20 PM

Post #5737337

Your garden still looks colourful, Thanks for showing us.
Thanks Dianne, I'm fine now. I've just had a week off work for half term, been visiting relos!!

Sue eeeeeeeeeeeee! Where's all your gorgeous flowers?? We need to see some, it helps with the winter blues..LOL!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

November 2, 2008
7:53 AM

Post #5742697

Hi all, hey Dianne, I might have got the name wrong, its to raise the alkalinity. It's soda something, or something of soda? Derrr!
Just having to install some programmes to resize my pics. Had a computer glitch today and had to reformat, so bear with me.
All done, Lovely Iris's that just go on and on!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 4, 2008
9:57 AM

Post #5750258

Hi sue, your Iris is a gorgeous colour, Thanks for sharing! Hope the computer glitch is sorted now?
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #5751765

Hi Sue - thanks for the pool info. All I have been adding is chlorine to keep the algae down - will have to monitor the pH better. And backing up to some of the way earlier posts - the pink evening primrose is Oenothera berlandieri (also known as Mexican evening primrose) in case you still need the ID. It does spread a LOT, but every year, I pull out as many plants as I can without letting it go to seed, and it comes back with just the right amount of plants for the next year. New plants sprout up from the root system. That is a great looking clivia - I just have the orange ones. There was a yellow one at a nursery for $16.99 - but I was too cheap to buy it, and am waiting for the prices to come down a little.

Terri - you mentioned you have a week off for half term. Are you teaching?
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

November 5, 2008
8:09 AM

Post #5754378

Hi Dianne and Terri, thanks Dianne for the primrose ID. I did get it pretty quickly when I posted it! I have seen it running semi-rampant in others gardens, so will keep an eye on it. I quite like semi-rampant! LOL
Your Cream Clivea would cost about $40 here! I'm too cheap also! I'll wait untill they are a bit more common, and see if I can get a bulb from someone. I know a lady who has several, and am waiting to see if the flowers go to seed, but think they will not.
These are Hippeastrums, I think. They are slightly different than the red and pink ones, and flower a bit later. These had been thrown out at the local Tip, and when I went to throw out some greenwaste, I couldn't help but take them home, not knowing what they were. I'm stoked I got them!
Terri, the computer is an ongoing concern right now, as I've had to reload all the programmes on, and I don't know which ones I need untill I need them, and it tells me I haven't got them! *sigh* I reckon it took about 2 hours to do updates online today. Boooo
Anyway, it seems to be working o.k, so fingers crossed there is not too much more that needs doing.
I s'pose you guys are deeling the chill now??

Thumbnail by weed_woman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2008
12:41 PM

Post #5754604

Sue, that is another lovely setting. It is now in the 50-60 range here. This time of year it can be 65 one day and 35 the next, so we just enjoy what we can while we can. HAven't had to turn the heat on too much yet, just a bit to take off the chill from time to time, hope that lasts a bit longer with these fuel prices.
Hope your puter pops back for you 100%. I have had them crash on occasion and it is quite an ordeal to get everything back. Once I lost a couple thousand music files and they were lost forever, oh well and so it goes sometimes when not backed up.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 7, 2008
4:37 PM

Post #5763075

Hi all, That flower bed looks gorgeous Sue! I do like the orange Hips, don't think I have seen that colour before.
I had the day off work, classes were cancelled! It was sunny this morning, ( it's almost dark now) so I ventured out into the garden.
A Blue sky and some sunshine helps to lift the spirit!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 7, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #5763085

Chinese lanterns still there! I have picked lots of them to dry inside.

This message was edited Nov 7, 2008 4:41 PM

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 7, 2008
4:46 PM

Post #5763109

Weigela

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 7, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5763116

couple of struggling Dahlias!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 7, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #5763119

Feverfew

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 7, 2008
4:52 PM

Post #5763134

Over the fence... my neighbour has Fushias and Nerines!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 7, 2008
4:55 PM

Post #5763142

Kerria japonica, still has it's leaves.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 7, 2008
4:57 PM

Post #5763148

Cornus

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 7, 2008
4:59 PM

Post #5763154

Nasturtiums

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 7, 2008
5:01 PM

Post #5763158

They have become my 'Blob' lol!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 7, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #5763188

Soon most leaves will be gone, it's nice to still have a few Autumn colours outside the window!

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

November 12, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #5780807

Its good you still have some life and colour there Terri. I had imagined that it was all gone already! Such an optimist aren't I? lOL. It looks rather good still!
Will get out and take a couple of snaps later.
Sue
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 13, 2008
5:42 PM

Post #5786640

later???????????????????????? lol!

laters gaters !!!!

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

November 15, 2008
2:03 AM

Post #5792227

whoops! Roses in bloom Terri

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

November 15, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #5792233

I have alot of white out at the moment, with white gardenias, shasta daisies and white agapanthus.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2008
5:33 PM

Post #5797675

oh Sue those pics are to die for. Thanks for letting me sit under the rose arbor for a bit and get warmed up.
Terri you have much more than I would have dreamed as well for mid Nov. Nice fall color for your viewing.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 17, 2008
6:29 PM

Post #5801438

Hi Sue and Candee,
Gorgeous roses! the arch looks so lovely with the roses in flower, so they smell nice?
Love the white flowers in the garden, we want to see more please Sue!!!
I heard on the news there are storms and halestones the size of golf balls at the
'I'm a celeb get me out of here' camp!! Is that near you?
Brrrr Candee, it's too wet and cold to go out there now, I'm a fair weather gardener lol!!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

November 18, 2008
11:19 AM

Post #5804218

Hi Candee and Terri, no, the roses don't smell, boooooo!
The hail isn't near us, but we did have some the same size about a month ago, which left alot of my broms in tatters, but luckily not the favourite ones! They'll all recover, at least the pups will!
Its still raining here, so no work tomorrow by the look of it. I'm not even going to set my alarm, which won't make a jot of difference because my eyes always pop open around 5.30am these days! I might be lucky and get a sleep in till 7 if it stays dark and cloudy.
I'm a fair weather gardener too terri, but I might spread some manure pellets tomorrow, as the dogs won't go foraging in the rain, and hopefully it will wash the smell away and the fert will go into the soil. I haven't done it for so long, but used to do it every time it rained. It makes a huge difference to the garden.
The weeds are really taking off now, and I can't see where I weeded 2 days ago for all the new weeds! It can be very disheartening. On a good note, the grass is as green as green! It looks so lush! I should get a cow! LOL
I'll take some more pics when the sun comes back out, as all the flowers are looking a bit mushy now. I expect there will be quite a bit of fungal growth on any cool climate plants after all this, but thats the joys of sub tropical gardening. I've learned to live with it.
Catch you tomorrow no doubt!
Sue
This is an Aechmea fasciata 'Purpurea' bloom. The ants are busy pollinating everything in the shade house, so i will be looking for seeds in a few months time. I won't know what I'll be getting!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2008
12:30 PM

Post #5804326

Wow Sue that is a bouquet in itself, what interesting little blooms or whatever those colored things are.
I use weed killer on my weeds now instead of pulling all the time and it didn't look pretty when I first began and must admit I likely sprayed a few things I should not have, but after a couple years it has sure cut down on the number of them. I used to spend hours and hours out there and now just a little pull here and there.
Mold, now I had no idea that tropical gardening was a challenge, I thought the stuff just bloomed and bloomed w/o any special care at all. Always learning somethin new here at DG.
Perhaps you should consider a goat LOL!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

November 19, 2008
9:47 PM

Post #5809975

Those are the blooms Candee. They look like little Jewels don't they?
I didn't go to work until 11am yesterday, and finished off at 4pm with a splitting migraine, so off to bed as soon as I got home.
Its 8.45am here now, and really I should be mowing a lawn somewhere, but I still have a headache and my neck and shoulders are sore. I hate it when I feel off!
Anyway, did a little stroll around the garden while the rain is stopped (we've been getting an inch every 24 hours) and took a few pics. There are mushrooms/toadstools popping up everywhere!
Here is a Red Jacobean lily amongst the marigolds and purple Verbena and Lambs ears, oh and curry bush and iris leaves

This message was edited Nov 20, 2008 8:47 AM

Thumbnail by weed_woman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2008
12:41 PM

Post #5811648

Doesn't look too mushy Sue. Hope your headache is gone by now, perhaps a soak in a nice hot tub would relax those sore muscles. Glad you took a bit of a break and perhaps the rain is there to help you rest.
Those do look like gems, what a beautiful specimen.
I am just lovin lookin out the window at snow flurries and inside at your bloomin verbena!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 21, 2008
12:17 AM

Post #5813849

Your garden looks pretty Sue!

Check out the Birds nest I spotted in next doors garden!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 21, 2008
12:19 AM

Post #5813856

They are still flowering!!!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2008
2:05 PM

Post #5815494

Lucky you to have blooms this time of season, must be that green thumb of yours.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 21, 2008
7:19 PM

Post #5816576

must be, LoL!

Seeing as they seeded themselves there, I didn't really have much to do with it.

Sue, I saw that pink Brom at the Chelsea flower show, but it wasn't as lovely as yours!!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

November 22, 2008
10:22 AM

Post #5818540

Shucks, thanks Tezza! I like your bird nest shot, and the good old Nasturtiums, which I find always brighten up the garden!
I am all A-o-k for the time, and have an easier day planned on Monday, followed by a Hawaiian massage and acupuncture, so should be in fine form for our annual plant sale at college on Tuesday. I wouldn't buy the plants myself, as I don't think they are great specimens, but the money goes toward more equipment for the nursery, so alot of staff and students come shopping.
I'll add some pics next time as the batteries are flat, so give this thread a bump to remind me tomorrow?
Happy gardening, or fire sitting, whichever you get up to this weekend!
Sue
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2008
9:48 PM

Post #5820310

a massage and acupuncture sounds heavenly! I always say that one of these days I am gonna get a massage, but just never seem to do it. Have fun.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

November 23, 2008
12:21 PM

Post #5821993

Thanks Candee, I had forgotten the massage alrady and had just planned some lawn mowing tomorrow afternoon! Mind like a seive!
Jacobean lily

Thumbnail by weed_woman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2008
7:31 PM

Post #5823067

stunning Sue, what an interesting species as you seem to always have down under!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 24, 2008
12:41 AM

Post #5824054

Bump! what a pretty Lily, looks great with the purple in the background, is that verbena?
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

November 25, 2008
9:07 AM

Post #5828853

Why yes Terri, it is! I snipped abit form a customers garden and now i have it in many spaces in the garden. its a bit rampant, but makes a nice cut flower and fills the gaps in the garden. It flowers a long time too!
here is a pic my MUm took of me working at a customers house.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2008
12:32 PM

Post #5829017

You sure do look like one happy camper (or rather gardener) to me. You must whistle all day while you work!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

November 26, 2008
5:57 AM

Post #5832064

I don't know about whistling, but theres usually a bit of swearing, (startled by bugs or lizards or worse) the odd groan, an ouch or two and a sigh! LOL
It rained again today, so no work. I'm so happy! Instead I went around the garden and pulled the mulch back from the palms, mango and heliconias, and fertilised with manure pellets. I left the mulch off for a few hours to let the rain do it's work, then scraped it all back and topped it up.
Also, my rose arch had rusted and in the strong winds last week, developed a lean and had broken in a few places, so I went to town, bought some 'D' bar (2 metres long) and banged it in the ground. then I slid poly tube over it and used the connectors to add bits as cross sections, then tied the rose to it, and cut away the old arch (although I left the top still on for extra support) It seems to have worked, but on a really hot day, there is the possibility of the poly tube sagging with the heat! LOL.
The sun shone briefly late this arvie, but more rain is expected until the end of the week. How sad! LOL
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2008
6:46 PM

Post #5833398

Great fix up you did Sue. Oh I remember when visiting you taking my glass of wine and strolling under that arbor. Oh, I do miss it!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2008
7:47 PM

Post #5833611

Hi Sue - that is one great arbor and entrance to that section of your garden. We also have an annual plant sale here at the university where I work. I used to buy plants, but never seem to get them into the ground before they died.

Candee - you have to try a massage. They are great, though I haven't had one in awhile.
Sallysblooms
South, TX

November 27, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #5834482

Wonderful pictures everyone. Terri, I keep forgetting to get some pics of my nasturtiums!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 27, 2008
4:12 PM

Post #5835847

Hello Happy Lady gardener! nice to see you actually doing a bit . LOL!
Sue, would love to see all those wonderful palms mangos heliconias in tropical arrangements!!!! wow you have so much plant material. It's all looking goooooooood!

Hi Sally, we had a really cold spell and mine have started to collapse, so I'd love to see yours and anything else you got. please!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

November 28, 2008
9:46 AM

Post #5837549

Hi Terri, you will get to see them eventually, but after 2 years and plenty of fertiliser, still no blooms on the heliconia! How about this one instead, a Bromeliad called Portea petropolitana var. Extensa. What a mouthful. Its not to everyones taste, as it's a spikey customer. I think it has its charms. This flower spike hasn't opened yet i think (not sure as its the first flowers)

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

November 28, 2008
9:47 AM

Post #5837550

Not a very good shot, because I chopped the top off, but you can see the whole plant, and why its not for everyone. Lucky I see it with a mothers love! LOL

Thumbnail by weed_woman

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 28, 2008
10:08 AM

Post #5837556

Ohhhhh I love it!!! please may I adopt it if you are not too keen? lol
Thanks Sue, dont forget to show us when it opens, I can't wait!!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2008
3:40 PM

Post #5847307

Neat, the leaves remind me of my pineapple this time of year as it is yellowish. I like the weird and wonderful!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2008
7:08 PM

Post #5847983

It was a nice sunny day yesterday and I took a stroll through the yard and found the following in bloom. The last gerbera

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2008
7:09 PM

Post #5847984

gardenia

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2008
7:13 PM

Post #5847993

abuliton - this has been blooming since spring

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2008
7:14 PM

Post #5847996

Oh thanks for letting me join you on your stroll Dianne, blooms are sure a welcome site here in this sleet!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2008
7:17 PM

Post #5848001

Hi Candee - how nice to have some company...and around the corner is a cecil brunner rose

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2008
7:18 PM

Post #5848002

pink sasanqua camellia

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2008
7:22 PM

Post #5848008

tibouchina

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2008
7:22 PM

Post #5848010

cyclamen

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2008
7:24 PM

Post #5848013

the last alstromeria for the season

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #5848033

hedychium gardnerianum -

Thumbnail by soilsandup

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2008
7:43 PM

Post #5848065

narcissus. We had a unusually warm fall this year - extending the flowering season for the summer blooms and ushering in the fall/winter bloomers early.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2008
12:54 PM

Post #5850374

Dianne you are truly an inspiration. Believe it or not I had a dream last night that I went over to a friends house and walked around her garden (friend recently moved to a nursing home) and there were all sorts of things blooming like lilies and the bulbs were just in a tub of water and a couple roses and a number of other plants I could not identify in my dream. I was amazed that she had so much blooming and here I am with a dormant garden just the other side of town!
Musta been looking at you lovely individual blooms that inspired the dream.
Thanks, it was a great night's sleep, keep them coming. I can't imagine daffs blooming on 12/1!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 2, 2008
5:21 PM

Post #5851148

Great! you still have many flowers Dianne. Thanks for the stroll around your garden today!
I wonder what you will create with some of those? lol.

sweet dreams Candee!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2008
6:07 PM

Post #5851250

Thanks Terri and Candee. Terri - creativity is what I am lacking. I need you there to give me ideas on what to do...
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2008
7:26 PM

Post #5851431

I feel your pain Dianne, I have learned a lot of tips and tricks from Terri, but they never quite seem to take on the beautiful character of her creations. I am full of ideas but the outcome is often "iffy" at best.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2008
8:19 PM

Post #5851614

Well, Candee, you are at least one step ahead of me with the IDeas... I guess my main advantage is mild weather and being on the constant lookout for plants that bloom at different times of the year. I just purchased about $100 worth of plants, mostly late summer bloomers, and until the first frost bloomers. Now if I can only keep them alive through the winter...
Sallysblooms
South, TX

December 3, 2008
4:28 AM

Post #5853201

Beautiful photos! Just took this today.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2008
4:11 PM

Post #5854466

You got neat rocks Sally, that is quite attractive in the greenery.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 8, 2008
1:50 AM

Post #5869153

I'll catch the next flying teapot over to you Dianne! Just let the plant material tell you what to make. LoL!
There are no 'iffy' creations around here Candee, every single one is a learning curve!!
Don't get rusty now!!

Beautiful textures there Sally, you ROCK!!

Sueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee you gone walkabout again or what?????
Sallysblooms
South, TX

December 8, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #5869291

Well, I "HOPE" I "Rock!" HA!!!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2008
7:11 AM

Post #5869791

oooh...it would be so GREAT, Terri, if you really could take the flying teapot and come visit me. You could take all the stuff in my garden and show me what to do with them. I don't speak "plant" talk as well as you.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 8, 2008
5:26 PM

Post #5870941

sshhhhhh dont tell anyone I speak 'plant' they might take me away!!!!!

Hope you keep rockin' Sally!

Flowers anyone?? nothing here all gone!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 5, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #5969716

Sue, Have you got any Frangipani in the garden? Love those! need warming up over here, weather warning down to -10 tonight. Brrrr...
Sallysblooms
South, TX

January 5, 2009
8:58 PM

Post #5970103

Lots of flowers here. Just got inside. I have been weeding and trimming in the flower beds. Resting my back now, ha.

Sallysblooms
South, TX

January 5, 2009
9:05 PM

Post #5970132

Nasturtiums.

Sallysblooms
South, TX

January 5, 2009
9:06 PM

Post #5970135

One more.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 6, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #5973486

Hi Sally, Nice to see your flowers, love that creamy coloured Nasturtium, awwww it's going to be a long time before mine flower again! Never thought I'd say it, but I'd love to be weeding LoL!
Don't over do it, have fun! Thanks for the pics, lovely bright colours!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2009
5:55 PM

Post #5985482

Those are some perky purple pansies - say that 3 times really fast backwards! Thanks for sharing your warmth, we are in dire need of it right now!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2009
1:26 PM

Post #5988308

Lovely gardens. I miss this thread. I wish spring would come sooner. Guess this would be a good time to weed and prepare the gardens?
Sallysblooms
South, TX

January 10, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #5989067

I do ALL I can before the heat and humidity come! I love working in the cool winter.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 11, 2009
12:49 AM

Post #5990617

Its rather warm to be gardening here, but I got out in the early morning to snap some pics. Sorry terri, the Frangipani was too shaded.
Sally, Nasturtiums are soooo reliable and easy! Yummy. I also love pansies and violas, so cheerful.
How about some Marigolds grown from seed. I have just started toi deadhead them and spread the seed for next season.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 11, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #5990622

This is an Allamanda, a tropical flowering shrub that can also be a climber/trailer. I have it tied to a stake to get this effect.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 11, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #5990639

And good old kahili ginger, Hedychium gardnerianum. Unfortunately it is on the weeds list, so I'm not sure if I'll keep it. I do the responsible thing and cut the finished flower so there are no seeds, but I still feel guilty for having it!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Sallysblooms
South, TX

January 11, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #5990673

Very pretty, Weed woman. It is hard to garden in really hot weather. I LOVE our fall, winter and spring, but NOT summer!

I took this the other day. One of my planters in front.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2009
6:42 AM

Post #5991646

Lovely flowers, Sue and Sallysbloom.

Sue - my Hedychium garnerianum has never set seeds. I wish you could send your weeds this way - I am still trying to increase my patch. I got about 10 blooms this year, and would love more. And feel free to send the heat this way too.

Karma - you're right, this would be a good time to weed and prepare the garden. I do manage to come up with lots of excuses not to though - either it is too cold to go outside, or if it is nice and warm, I would rather go on some outing to take advantage of the nice weather. But, at some point, the weeds do become pesky and then it is a frantic rush to pull them out before they set seed.
Sallysblooms
South, TX

January 11, 2009
5:45 PM

Post #5992779

We bought lots of new mulch yesterday. I have been weeding and will add mulch soon.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 11, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #5992941

Hi Sue, my computer is playing up and I can't see any pictures!!!
Sally, your planter is invisilbe, but I'm sure it's lovely! Good to hear you are out of your chair and doin' a bit in the garden LoL!
Karma, it's too cold to be out in the garden here, but the weeds have stopped growing for a while at least!
Sallysblooms
South, TX

January 11, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #5993186

Wonder why you can't see the picture, Terri?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 11, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #5993193

I don't know Sally, it just says thumbnail then when I click on it, it's blank. Same on the other threads!
Sallysblooms
South, TX

January 11, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #5993203

I can see it. Maybe it will straighten up soon.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 11, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #5993216

I'm going to shut the computer down and try again later!

What kind of mulch do you use Sally?
Sallysblooms
South, TX

January 11, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #5993232

We use Cypruss mulch.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2009
8:53 PM

Post #5993369

Sue, Dianne and Sally your gardens are such a welcome sight here. All those lovely blooms whether weeds or not are still lovlier than snow and ice.
Terri, hope you get the bugs outta your puter soon.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #5994520

Karma - you'd be proud of me today. Since I played all day yesterday, I was feeling a tad guilty so I went out and sprayed my nectarine tree for peach leaf curl, swept the pool, moved some soil around, and did a little bit of transplanting. Still got lots more to do, but at least it is a start. Thanks for the "push" to be productive. LoL.

Terri - got your computer glitch fixed?
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2009
12:46 PM

Post #5995511

Wow Dianne you got a true burst of energy there, now don't go wearing yourself out!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 13, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #6002007

I can see !!!!!!

Sue, Love the Allamanda, do the flowers last for long? have you got a close up please? Looks like a pretty flower, any perfume? What are the big leaves behind the ginger? and I love the cheerful marigolds!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 13, 2009
10:50 PM

Post #6002034

Gorgeous planter Sally, it's absotutely crammed full of beauties! I spy Bizzie lizzies, Dianthus,Alysum,
is that snapdragon at the back? Lovely blend of pastels with the grey foliage, very nice!
I haven't seen Cypruss mulch around here.

Hey Dianne, I'm proud of you today! You did well, sounds like a great start to the gardening year for you!

I noticed a couple of Hellebore flowers in the garden on my way out today! The Day lilies are also starting to push their way up.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 14, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #6002976

Hi Terri, the big leaves are philodendron, (a.k.a elephant ears) I'm sure you've seen the Allamanda one before, as I used it in a couple of arrangemnts. It doesn't last very well I'm afraid, but maybe If I tried a treatment on it it might do.
Heres the close up. the flowers are about the size of a small hibiscus flower

Thumbnail by weed_woman

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2009
5:51 AM

Post #6003587

Sue - you are always coming up with flowers that are new to me! Allamanda is another one of those.

Candee and Terri - my bursts of energies don't come very often in the winter. I have already missed the first set of spraying on my nectarine tree, so I was determine to at least get the second spray in. I hate to spray, but to grow any peaches or nectarines here, you have to spray for peach leaf curl. We were never able to keep it in check 100%, and we alwayst have some signs of the disease for the last 5 years. Now that I am responsible for ALL the yard work, I wanted to get off on the right foot.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2009
12:59 PM

Post #6003901

You sound very determined Dianne so am sure you will have a hearty harvest of peaches this year.
Wow, Terri you got posies coming up already. I looked at my hellebores yesterday but not a sign of a flower yet. Will have to go check on the dafs, but think it is still quite early for any signs of them here. But spring is around the corner, right!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 15, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #6008549

Thanks for the close up Sue, lovely flower, I thought it looked like a Hibiscus without the thingy!
Maybe I have seen it in one of your arrangements from a distance!! I love seeing everyones arrangements at least twice LOL! The close up really shows the flowers and the pic of the arrangement shows the overall shape and design. Not that I'm complaining or anything LOL!
How is my fav 'blue moon' rose doing? any roses to share? How is Brom Palace doing?

Spring seems far away even with a couple of Hellebore flowers!!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 16, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6010654

Blue moon looks crap! Its best season is early spring, then late Autumn anbd winter. It loses all its leaves in summer due to humidity, but once the weather begins to cool, it will come good.
Gotto go, but will catch up
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 16, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6012563

Charmed, I'm sure. LOL!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 22, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #6035708

Here's the Hellebore starting to flower...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 22, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #6035715

A couple of flowers starting to open on the Hebe...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 22, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #6036319

Some plants are coming back to life!

Snowdrops...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 22, 2009
4:18 PM

Post #6036325

Daffs

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 22, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #6036333

Aquileja

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 22, 2009
4:21 PM

Post #6036338

Veronica

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 22, 2009
4:23 PM

Post #6036347

Lanterns still hangin' on!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6036404

You are certainly on your way to spring, there is too much snow here to find anything, except the hellebores are flattened more than ever.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 22, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #6036451

Hi Candee, it feels like spring today, but we have a weather warning gale force winds and heavy rain on it's way! At least your snow looks pretty. It hasn't snowed here really, we had 1 day with sleet so far.
Nice to hear from you dear friend. Hope it warms up for you soon!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #6036541

Hope it gets warm as well as I have been shivering for 3 days and nights, but think my nerves are also getting the best of me from time to time, or old age has really set in!
They are calling for high 40's tomorrow so compared to the 17 and below we have been having that will be some relief.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #6037270

Hi Terri - great that your garden is waking up. Your hellebore looks so healthy!!
Candee - and good to hear that you are having warmer weather soon. We had a high of 66 degees F on Monday and Tuesday, then rain lightly yesterday night and today. Our mini-spring has ended.

Below is a photo of one of my cymbidiums - past it's prime though since I took the photo so late. I have about 4 varieties of these orchids - and they bloom anywhere from Nov to May. Very unpredictable.

Thumbnail by soilsandup

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 23, 2009
9:43 AM

Post #6039445

Terri, how did the picnic at the museum go! Did you get the crappy weather that was predicted, and how is your head? Still swollen with compliments? he,he!
Nice garden pics you gals.
This is a Tumeric flower. I will dig it up this year and see what it's good for.

Thumbnail by weed_woman

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2009
1:07 PM

Post #6039745

Dianne, past its prime or not it is gorgeous. You have such a talent with orchids I am in awe.
Sue, I have heard of those tumeric flowers, but never seen one. Or am I thinking of the tamarisk tree? Who knows, I surely cannot think straight anymore, even I don't know what I am thinking LOL!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

January 25, 2009
11:15 AM

Post #6048036

Hoy, Candee, you must be having a brain freeze! If the flower is still out tomorrow I will get another pic, as it was looking even better yesterday.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 25, 2009
1:49 PM

Post #6048292

Lovely flowers!

The weather was awful when we first arrived at the museum, but it did brighten up later on and I took a few pics in the gardens...
Mahonia..

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 25, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #6048300

Euphorbia (brain freeze) sp? !!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 25, 2009
1:56 PM

Post #6048316

We had lunch in the heated conservatory, very nice!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #6049864

Looks like a beautiful day Terri and reminds me of our excursion to Longwood last year. Bet that put the feel of spring inyour step and in the air.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 5, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #6096682

It's been snowing!!!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 5, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6096688

The birds nest is still there!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 5, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6096698

not a flower in sight !

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 5, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6096718

Chinese lantern.

Please someone, share your flowers and foliage to warm me up!!!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #6096908

Sorry Terri, nothin here to warm you up except warm wishes! We are hovering about 10-12 degrees and it is freezin inside and out.
What is in that little cupboard you have all snow covered there? Interesting piece.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 5, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #6097574

Hi Candee, the warm wishes are much appreciated, Thank you! Hugs to you and keep warm!
The old rabbit hutch is empty this winter! We miss Treacle, BAD fox!!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #6101417

You know I thought that was what I was lookin. I recall that horrid experience - will you ever get more do you think?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 6, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6102821

No more Bunnies, there are so many urban foxes about these days!

Roll on spring ...
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 7, 2009
1:34 PM

Post #6232920

Hi everyone! I started a new thread. March 2009 in the garden.
Show us your garden waking up!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America