Photo by Melody

Beginner Houseplants: Sweet Potato Vine as a houseplant?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 23, Views: 299
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PinkysPlants
Thomasboro, IL
(Zone 5b)

September 26, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #5603441

Does anyone know if sweet potato vines can be grown indoors as a houseplant?
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2008
10:21 PM

Post #5603450

I tried that last year and it seemed to be attacked by every leaf eating bug known to the human race!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 27, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #5603829

I grow it in hanging baskets on my deck and in mixed container plantings every year. They are dying back right now as they seem to do each year at this time but will resprout in spring.

I don't see why you couldn't grow it as a houseplant. As long as it gets the proper water and light it should make a nice houseplant.

I found this when googling: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/frugal/msg0714334929818.html

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53068/
tcinmb
Myrtle Beach, SC
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2008
12:47 AM

Post #5603919

Leaf eaters sure do love mine (outdoors). Is there anything that you can put on them to stop the chewing?
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #5603986

Usually it's too late to treat by the time you see the damage. It happens in cycles. Even if you used a systemic pesticide, there would be damage before the pest died.
Late summer seems to be an unusually bad time. Holes show up on the inside of the leaves, not on the margins.
tcinmb
Myrtle Beach, SC
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #5604131

The chompers aren't bothering anything else. Do you know what they are??
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 27, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #5604168

Something was eating the sweet potato vines in my yard all summer. I could never see any bugs during the daylight hours so I'm assuming it's some nocturnal buggers chewing on them. I dug out many of the tubers a couple of weeks ago because they were taking over everything and looking awful with all the holes chewed in the foliage. They are like weeds down here, growing wildly and trailing all over the flower beds.
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2008
1:55 AM

Post #5604220

Some blame grasshoppers, but they usually chew on the MARGINS of leaves, not the inside part. And the holes in ours are nicely cut out, while grasshoppers chew and leave ragged edges. Most people say it's slugs or snails, but they'd have to be young and lightweight, because the leaves are fragile and floppy. The damage looks like caterpillar damage, but I thought most moths and butterflies were through reproducing for this season. I guess it could be different varmints in different parts of the country. They seem to love the Marguerite best, and it looks worst because the holes in that chartruese show up so much.

As far as them taking over everything, that's where the new series Sweet Caroline come in. They are much more compact (short internodal spaces) and not as weedlike in their growth habits. Try them- you'll love the difference. They come in about a dozen varieties.

I'm going to take up my tubers for the winter soon, too. The leaves are so chewed I don't enjoy them anymore. Did you know that if you put the tuber in a shallow pan of water submerged an inch or so, maybe less, (next spring) little plants called slips will develop on the upper part? When the slips get big enough you can pot them and have many new plants. You just gently lift them off the tuber when they are big enough to pot. Just don't expose the tuber to freezing temps during the winter.
tcinmb
Myrtle Beach, SC
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #5604254

I'm going to get my flashlight and see what's eating mine tonight! lol Thanks for the great info. These plants really make a nice statement in a garden.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 27, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #5604276

LOL, I didn't take up the tubers for winter, I dug them up and threw them out because they take over everything! I love the looks of them in containers but it doesn't take long for them to trail out of whatever container they are in and run wild all over the yard!

I will have to check out the new Sweet Caroline series ... I have not heard of them, but if they are more compact and not as weedy, I would love to grow them!
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2008
2:05 AM

Post #5604288

tcinmb- I keep threatening to go out and check the plants at night too, but have yet to do it. Please let us know.
I forgot to mention, about growing the slips- you would think the s.p. tuber would rot sitting in water, but it can sit there for MONTHS and not rot.
nannykaren
Theodore, AL

September 27, 2008
2:09 AM

Post #5604301

They will root in water so easily so i try to keep some in bottles on my windowsills often
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 27, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #5604308

I remember many years ago learning to grow a sweet potato plant and an avocado plant in water. Take two toothpicks, stick one in each side of the tuber and sit it on top of a glass or glass jar, (the toothpicks lay on the edges of the jar to keep the bulb from falling into the water. Fill the glass jar just so the water level barely touches the bottom of the tuber. Eventually it will put out roots and the potato vines will begin growing out the top. With the avocado you stick the toothpicks in the avocado seed and do the same thing, roots will sprout and eventually you will see a little sprout from the top of the bulb and you can grow a nice little avocado tree houseplant!
tcinmb
Myrtle Beach, SC
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #5604369

I think I will look for the Sweet Caroline Vine next season. The one's we are speaking of now are pretty hardy. I found one growing up one of my trees.
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2008
3:49 AM

Post #5604666

When I was a boy, people didn't know what it was to buy houseplants. Ladies would put a sweet potato in a jar with a diameter smaller than the potato and grow a vine for the kitchen. Sometimes the vine would get so long it would turn the corner and grow along the next wall.
The vines were pretty enough, but if they could only see Marguerite, Blackie, Ace of Spades, Tricolor, and now the Sweet Caroline series!!! Bewitched is the queen of them all.
lusarytole
Fairmont, WV

September 30, 2008
12:37 AM

Post #5615175

I cut my sweet potato plant back, took off the bottom leaves. Then diped the leaves in clorox water(1tsp to a gal. water, to get rid of any bugs). Put them in a jar to root, (in a shady place)now I will plant them and bring them in for the winter. As they get bigger this winter I will continue to cut them back and root more. By spring I will have plenty to plant in my hanging baskets.

Thumbnail by lusarytole
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #5615470

Good idea. These plants are so easy to root we have a number of options.
Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

October 8, 2008
8:40 AM

Post #5646008

I grow sweet potato in my garden here, never thought of them as a house plant, their so big man! maybe not the same sweet potato! Everything wants to eat them even us!
cajunlady55
Bossier City, LA

July 14, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6816244

I have the holes in my sweet potato leaves also. I've noticed several empty shells that looks like a locust shell? Can someone help me with that??
joelcoqui
Roslyn
United States

October 17, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8852238

INSECTICIDAL SOAP !!!
acts238
Fort Wayne, IN

October 17, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8853250

All I've ever done was stick a sweet potato in a glass or jar of water about half way and watch the vine grow. They have always done well for me and when you get tired of the plant you can plant it in the spring and have lots of sweet potatoes in the fall.
good luck
Acts

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2011
8:19 AM

Post #8853948

... used to do that all the time as kids. Wedge a sweet potato in a glass or jar so the bottom half is in water & watch as it took off, growing like crazzy! Sometimes we'd stick toothpicks in the sides to keep the potato from falling into the container.

Al

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8858993

Not to hi jack your thread but I wanted to share this, I had mine in a large pot and a ground hog made a meal of it so I dumped what was left and lo & behold it gave me a present. I plan on cooking it up this weekend to see how it tastes...
Christine

Thumbnail by jasminesmom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8915365

I was amazed with the results for my sweet potatoes. I took cuttings in late spring (planted in early spring) and the took off. They were placed in a glass of water with some rocks to root. After 3 days i checked them and spotted roots. They rooted remarkably fast! Has anyone else had these results???

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America