Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: can I grow rose bought from flower shops?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 5, Views: 109
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
youngman
Beverly Hills, CA

September 26, 2008
11:30 PM

Post #5603656

since they sometimes sell nice roses and other things, can I buy the roses, cut the rose, and just use the rose cuttings and put them in the soil, will the roses grow?
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 27, 2008
1:56 AM

Post #5604224

yes
youngman
Beverly Hills, CA

September 27, 2008
9:31 AM

Post #5604982

oh, has anyone ever tried that? I don't know if they have treated those things with special chemicals or anything.
roseimp
(Rosie) Belturbet
Ireland

September 27, 2008
9:59 AM

Post #5605000

Cuttings will probably grow youngman but may not grow true to type - you could get a throwback. I think some minature roses definatly have a growth retardent added to keep them tiny. I grew some of these mini types in the garden but they ended up quite big strubs.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

October 7, 2008
7:13 AM

Post #5642269

cuttings can grow but normally the kind of roses you get from a florist are a bit fussy about conditions.
Normally they are grown on a different root stock as the actual flowering part is susceptible to root disease
You might get lucky.
I would try cutting a slit in the end with a very clean sharp knife & then dip into hormone rooting powder to give it the best chance.
I stick cuttings straight into the ground when I prune, most of them take but I am just lucky with roses.
I know lots of people who think I am mad doing it so casually - but it works for me:)
cheers - Dalfyre
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 13, 2008
2:08 AM

Post #5664275

The roses from the florist have been grown on a different rootstock to the ones we buy from the garden store with roots and in pots, the florist type are grown for prolific flowering as cut flowers, they are treated with special hormones to grow lots of flowers in the one season and are then normally tossed away and new plants are ready to take their place, lots are grown indoors under glass /polythene houses to make sure the buds are not damaged with rain water etc, so as mentioned above you could be lucky, but I feel you would be disappointed with the results Youngman, but hey, it wont break the bank to give it a go, who knows, you might get a lovely surprise at the end of it. Good luck. WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America