-
AuthorContent
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 27, 2008
2:56 PM

Post #5605686

It is a Canon Powershot S-3...not sure what the problem is it won't turn on, at all..the batteries were changed, and it made no difference...
The camera is not under warranty, DH thinks it would cost as much to fox it, as it would to get a new one.
Does anyone know anyone who fixes cameras?
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2008
8:54 PM

Post #5618531

Here are some silly questions but these are usually the culprits.

Are the batteries good (assuming these are disposable AA)? New batteries can sometimes go bad. Were they put in the right way (if they were put in backwards, they may blow a fuse if there is one)? Sometimes just putting them in again can make it work. Is the power switch on and in the right mode?

melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2008
10:16 PM

Post #5618809

Yes, to all the questions...it just won't work...
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2008
11:45 PM

Post #5619196

It may be time to start shopping for a new camera. If it is out of warranty then your DH is probably right about buying new instead of repairing it.
melvatoo
Denton, TX
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #5619492

We have one on the way..a Nikon Coolpix P-50...I found a man who works on cameras and his diagnosis is free..may send the other one, to him..it is a lot better camera than the Coolpix.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5625189

Melva, did you find anything out about your Canon? If you still have it, you can try dipping a Q-tip in some rubbing alcohol and squeezing out the excess, then cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment. Sometimes they build up some corrosion and that effects the contacts. This worked for a Sony Walkman I had years ago, same principle.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 21, 2008
11:30 PM

Post #5817328

I am glad to see this Post...

I have had a Polaroid digital camera for 2 years now. Did not choose to buy it, but won it as a prize at my Company's Christmas party in 2007.

Even though it is a "cheapie"...maybe $80--it has served me well through many garden photos and a couple of extensive photo-Op trips and hundreds of digital photos.

OK! In the last month--this camera "froze up" on me at 2 different occasions. It just stopped dead in the middle of a picture. I could not close the lens or anything else.
The last time this happened was at my daughter's wedding 2 weeks ago. Bummer!!!!
I had brought extra batteries, but, even when i put them in, I could not close the camera down.

Later on--my new SIL came here and he took out the Memory card and THEN put in the new batteries and the lens closed OK. He thinks I need to get a new memory card...

My question here is-----Can the memory Card be at fault? It is a good card---lots of space...What else could have caused this?

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2008
6:21 AM

Post #5818417

It is possible a faulty card could cause the problem if the camera got to a bad spot on the card while writing data to it. Do you completely format your card when you are done dumping pictures to your computer? You could try borrowing a card from someone and trying it in your Polaroid to rule out the card being the culprit.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 22, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #5819027

ggardenwife,

What do you mean by "completely format my card"???
Does that mean delete all the pictures from it when I am done uploading them? Yes, I do, however--when I took the card to the Drug Store to have all the wedding photos put on a disk, there were about 6 photos on there from last Summer! Have NO idea where they were hiding!!!
I have now uploaded all the photos from the card, and it is empty. I will get a new one. They are not all that expensive any more...

Thanks for your help. Gita
Oldgardenrose
Salem, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #5819398

Gardenwife is saying you may need to "format" your card. I am a camera
newbie myself but, in my fuji instruction manual, you need to format the
card after many recording and deleting cycles to clean out any random
noise bits and reset the file structure much like formatting a hard drive.
Your camera should have a formatting feature since new cards must be
formatted before use. Check your manual--you should be instructed as
to the proper way.

There are a lot of ways to damage the card but the most common is to
turn off the camera power or remove the card while it is being read from
or recorded onto.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2008
5:46 PM

Post #5819608

If you uploaded your pictures then the card is probably okay.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2008
6:43 PM

Post #5819764

Not necessarily, hcmcdole. There can be problem spots on the flash memory that, when written to, cause the camera to hiccup.

Like Oldgardenrose said, you need to use the camera's format feature to completely wipe the card clean. When you just delete photos, they are not really deleted. The spots they occupy are just marked as available again so new files may be written over those spots. After a while, the open spots are scattered all over the card and the camera can't write as efficiently to it because the files have to be split into little bits to fill the various free spots. A format wipes all the data clean so files can be written to the card efficiently.

Interestingly, the data is still there and recoverable with the right software, just as long as new data hasn't overwritten the old. But that's another subject! :)

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 22, 2008
8:19 PM

Post #5820024

I'm just saying it is probably (probably meaning more than 50%) okay. I rarely format a card and have never ever noticed a problem. If I can read and write files to a card then it should be AOK.

Anyway cards are very cheap nowadays so it never hurts to have more than one. It's worth a try to test a new card and hopefully that is the problem (but I doubt it). If the card isn't the problem, then I'd buy a new camera since the prices have fallen a lot on these as well and the quality continues going up.

PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

November 23, 2008
5:41 PM

Post #5822746

Formatting of a flash memory card is only necessary if the file allocation table got corrupted resulting in read/write errors or if you get the threaded message that your card is not formatted.
Nevertheless if you still feel like formatting then do it in your camera and not with your PC since some cameras don't like the formatting done by the computer :)
cindylove
Lewisville, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 26, 2008
9:29 PM

Post #5833802

Melva...I live in Lewisville so you will know where I mean..Garland Camera...in Garland..if we know each other in person then email me privately!! hee hee!!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cameras and Photography Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
photography(?) tink76627 7 Jul 25, 2011 5:03 AM
* FYI > Defect in some digital cameras * Magpye 24 Nov 7, 2007 12:48 PM
Anyone Use a Canon S2? melvatoo 25 Jul 31, 2007 4:14 PM
Digital Camera for sale MiniSchnuz 31 Apr 5, 2007 9:53 PM
swimming hole Iluvposies 10 Oct 4, 2007 2:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America