Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Voting Booth: Did you enjoy the coffee articles this week?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 37, Views: 649
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

September 29, 2008
9:50 AM

Post #5611988

There are a total of 340 votes:

Yes, I enjoyed them and would like to see more theme weeks
(76 votes, 22%)
Red dot

I read most of the articles, but not all
(32 votes, 9%)
Red dot

I'm not a coffee drinker, so I didn't get much out of the week
(36 votes, 10%)
Red dot

I didn't know we had a theme week
(181 votes, 53%)
Red dot

Other?
(15 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

September 29, 2008
10:17 AM

Post #5612026

snap. What coffee, where? I like coffee! Coffee and biscuits. Cappucino, latte, yum yum.
valrita

September 29, 2008
11:13 AM

Post #5612121

I like coffee and read a few of the articles. But the subject doesn't interest me as much as plants and gardening.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2008
12:08 PM

Post #5612253

Here's a link to this week's newsletter: http://davesgarden.com/weekly.php?news=2008-09-29

If you would like to receive the email version of this weekly newsletter (it's sent out each Monday), you can sign up for it from your member page (click on "My Info", then "Manage your preferences" and you will see a link for the newsletter opt-in/out.)
gk1153
Paris, IL
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2008
12:27 PM

Post #5612316

Yes, I enjoyed the articles and, yes, I would enjoy more theme weeks. I joined DG because I wanted/needed to know more about growing flowers. But growing flowers isn't everything I enjoy. If making coffee isn't the first thing I do when I get up it's the second thing I do. Any coffee after the morning jolt involves friends and relaxation.

It may prove difficult to find topics for theme weeks since there are so many Community Forums available. Then again, consider eggs and the number of things that can be done with them. There are at least a week's worth of articles on eggs.
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2008
12:36 PM

Post #5612345

Shows you how observant I am since I didn't know we had theme weeks. Usually I read everything I can get my hands on up to and including things like cereal boxes. The coffee just passed me by. Of course, I was busy trying to catch up since I just got my internet back last week after Ike messed it up.

Ann

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2008
2:44 PM

Post #5612947

I enjoyed the articles as much as I enjoy my coffee. Which is a lot! LOL

I would love to see more themes.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #5613526

I have a deep-seated mental connection between coffee and gardening, since the very first thing I do in the morning is make a cup of coffee, and then go walk through my garden and check up on my plants. In the dead of winter, I find myself staring pensively out the windows at all the dormant plants, coffee in hand, dreaming of when it will all burst back into life.

So. . .no great leap for me to enjoy the coffee articles on a gardening site! And I love the idea of theme weeks, as long as all those interesting articles about unusual topics don't go by the wayside. I devour them ALL!

edited to add: At first, I thought, "Whoops, they both put the same mug picture in their article!" Then I started paying attention, and realized that each article had a different variation on the mug theme. What a nice touch!

This message was edited Sep 29, 2008 1:07 PM
bunsterco
Rutledge, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2008
5:49 PM

Post #5613692

First, I loved the theme and more themes would be fine with me.

Second, and *much* more important: do those Dave's Garden flower pot mugs really exist, and if so, where, oh where, can I get one? I LOVE them!

thanks, DG folk!

p.s. sorry if this is a silly question, asked in the wrong place. I didn't know where else to post it, and my searches were unsuccessful. ;-)
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2008
6:42 PM

Post #5613877

Theme?? I guess coffee doesn't register as a theme b/c it is my entire life ;0) I see coffee everywhere. BTW, the coffee I make at home is the best- better than Dunkin' Bucks! I always add cinnamon- yum!!!

I second the question as to wether or not those DG flower pot mugs exsist! I want one, too!!! I'm a potter; I wonder if I could make them.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2008
6:45 PM

Post #5613881

Seems like when I first joined DG, there was a little blurb at the bottom of the homepage offering those mugs for sale. Haven't seen it lately. Aren't they lovely?

tcs1366

tcs1366
Leesburg, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2008
7:51 PM

Post #5614071

I could have clicked 2 of them... i did enjoy the article [i'm a huge coffee drinker] but i did not know we had theme weeks.
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

September 29, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #5615012

Theme? Mugs? I obviously need to drink more coffee!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #5615015

I only drink one cup a day, but I appreciate all the learnin' I can get here at DG. I like the idea of 'theme weeks', yes!
I think those mugs were offered a long time ago and aren't available anymore--at least I believe I read that somewhere. I bet a lot of us would buy them now! (hint, hint, lol)
tetleytuna
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2008
12:19 AM

Post #5615097

I liked the coffee week even though I do not drink coffee. The article on coffee grounds was great and I called the local starbuck. May soon be the proud owner of coffee leftovers. I think tea should get equal time since they are usually thought of together. I think we should get more mugs too!
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 30, 2008
6:51 AM

Post #5616162

I missed out on the mugs too and I'm pretty sure Dave is not gonna be excited about shipping anything again!
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #5616816

Well, I until I looked twice again at the newsletter (thanks to Terry's link above) I didn't realize there was a theme for the articles. I just skim over the article titles in a random way so I missed the 'Coffee' aspect. Thanks for pointing it out after all.

A series about Tea would be interesting too. Everyone seems to be drinking all kinds of teas for enjoyment and/or health reasons. And we can actually grow some of the tea makings in our gardens (if we knew anything about how to do it or what to grow). Could be fun.

Think I will call Starbuck's and Carribou and see if I can score some grounds, too. Great idea and I need to follow up on that! Thanks. t.
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5616996

Yes something on tea would be great also. Maybe an idea for a tea garden,herbal teas to make at home ...etc...
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2008
4:47 PM

Post #5617655

I wonder which is the most popular beverage worldwide: tea or coffee?

I went to visit a family in England for a week when I was 14; part of a sister-city program. They were of modest means, but they went to the trouble of going out and buying a percolator coffee pot (remember those??) and ground coffee because they assumed all Americans drank coffee- even 14 year-olds! They made a fuss and were so proud that they were actually going to make coffee for me! I was SO flummoxed- I hated coffee at the time, but didn't want to say so. Needless to say, they made the worst swill in that percolator that I had to drink- I swear it had chunks- UGH! I think I was a pretty bad actor b/c they then realized I really enjoyed the tea they had. I felt terrible!!!

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2008
5:34 PM

Post #5617816

I really enjoyed the articles. My 2 faves were Marna's on shade grown coffee and the biscotti recipe. More theme weeks please.
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

September 30, 2008
9:18 PM

Post #5618615

I voted 'other'...'cuz ?HUH? (LOL!)

I saw a link as I was scrolling down to post...I'll check it out!
MargaretK
PERTH
Australia

October 1, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #5619712

I thoroughly enjoyed Marna's article on shade coffee. It was a real eye opener and has raised a number of ethical and environmental issues. I, for one, will not be purchasing any coffees other than those that can demonstrate sound environmental practices. I had never considered that my one cup a day from one of the big four could have an impact on bird habitat and migration.
Procrastinator
Havelock
Canada

October 1, 2008
4:08 PM

Post #5621626

Wow - Not only did I not realize we had a theme week but I missed a whole lot of great reading. Love the articles. Thanks for the link! See what happens when I hurry over to Parking Lot or Pets when I boot up my computer. I don't look to the right at all. I will have to make that a daily habit. I do get the newsletter, thank goodness, but sometimes save that for a day when I feel like reading through my e-mail. What was I thinking? Duh. I also loved the coffee theme as it is what gets me through the day. Now. your talking my language LOL.

Hugs Elaine and Otis

This message was edited Oct 1, 2008 7:37 PM
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2008
7:32 PM

Post #5622357

I noticed the theme of the week but, I don't do coffee. I love the smell of coffee but don't like the taste of coffee. But I like the idea of theme weeks.
booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2008
3:55 AM

Post #5623886

yum, blackberries!
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2008
4:38 PM

Post #5625399

boo, I love blackberries. I found a coffee that is blueberry cobbler flavored- it's my absolute favorite. If only they'd make a blackberry flavor, too...
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #5625529

I don't drink coffee either, but I like the idea of theme weeks! Good job, all of you writers!! ^_^

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

October 2, 2008
5:49 PM

Post #5625663

Didn't realize the theme. I skipped things saying coffee as i don't like it.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

October 2, 2008
6:49 PM

Post #5625860

Love coffee. Loved the articles. Why not mark the "theme" articles with a star or something each week?
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2008
6:51 PM

Post #5629804

Hi, Iris, we're neighbors. I went to Pingree, as did my son, and my Mom teaches at Pingree and lives in So. Hamilton! The Asbury St. Bridge closure is making me miserable!
kyle33541
Zephyrhills, FL

October 4, 2008
10:17 PM

Post #5633597

I love my coffee so strong you need a fork to drink it.
well i'm kidding but I like regular coffee .
Some times I will mix nuts or other things in the girder to add a different taste.
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2008
4:53 AM

Post #5634704

I would also like to know about the mugs!
OzarkGypsy
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 5, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #5636412

Years ago I was asked just what a Perfect Morning would be for me...
My reply over 25 yrs ago was:
Sitting out by the pasture on log, in the brisk morning air just before sunrise, a steaming cup of freshly brewed coffee and the early morning smells of the garden not far away, mixed with the smells of the horses warm bodies & breath, along with their freshly made "meadow muffins" as I watch them calmly eat their breakfast and the cats play across the yard while the dog looks completely bored.

How can a person enjoy the aspects of life without a freshly brewed cup?
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #5637688

I don't think I'd want "meadow muffins" anywhere near my morning coffee!!!!!!!! ;0)

My scenario is to be sitting at my dining room table, watching the birds at my feeders while a big snowstorm is blowing around. Nothing makes me appreciate a hot coffee like the knowledge that I am lucky enough to be toasty warm indoors. Drinking coffee leisurely on a nice day makes me feel (sometimes) like I'm "lolly-gagging" or "dawdling"- both word my mother used often. She is a morning person and couldn't understand how anyone could just sit while there were things to do. I AM NOT a morning person!!!!
kyle33541
Zephyrhills, FL

October 8, 2008
7:00 PM

Post #5647774

"meadow muffins" lol ohh my...
Procrastinator
Havelock
Canada

October 27, 2008
11:02 PM

Post #5723407

Did we ever get an answer about the mugs or is Admin. hoping that the topic dies without having to deal with the nightmare of mailing out all those fabulous mugs?

Would love to get an answer to this question.

Inquiring minds want to know...LOL

Elaine and Otis
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

October 27, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #5723440

We got an answer some time ago. Dave is not shipping any more mugs.
Procrastinator
Havelock
Canada

October 28, 2008
3:18 AM

Post #5724488

Thanks for the update on the mugs. Much appreciated!

Elaine and Otis

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America