Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Ohio River Valley Gardening: Tomato Harvest 2008 in the ORV???

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 11, Views: 123
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2008
1:26 PM

Post #5612612

Hi, All,

I've been bitten by the tomato bug (thanks to some of the gracious plant swappers at the spring RU) and managed to harvest a few nice heirloom and hybrid tomatoes this last month. And now I was hoping to hear from some of you (who I know are quite good at growing tomatoes) about how your tomato harvest went this year, specifically~~

1) Overall results of your crop and if it was poor, why? If it was abundant, why? If average, why? Any secrets/tips to share?

2) What is your favorite/best tomato for Salads, Sandwiches and/or Sauces?

3) What tomato variety was a particular disaster/wipe-out/disappointment?

4) What was your earliest tomato? Do you grow tomatoes for a continuous harvest through a long season?

5) Please don't forget to show us pictures of your tomato garden or your harvest, too!

I think it will be interesting to hear from all of you about specifics for successful tomato growing in our region...

Thanks! t.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2008
12:57 AM

Post #5615284

You had a lovely harvest! Ours were very disappointing. I am going to grow in homemade Earthboxes next season. My favorites are Cherokee Purple and Black Cherry.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

September 30, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #5615464

Not a horrible year but not a good one either.
The nights were just too cool for a great crop I guess.
We lost about 10% of the plants to a fungus but the survivors gave us a steady crop just nothing to write home about.
I don't have all the names in from to me but Melissa's Russian tomatos, the sweet salad and the Black Seaman did and tasted about the best.

Ric
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2008
2:04 PM

Post #5616919

I have read a lot about the Black Cherry (on the Tomatoville website). And everyone seems to like it. And the Brandywine. I will want to try that Cherokee Purple next year, too. I haven't heard about the Black Seaman and will check it out. We liked our Marmande but we only got a few from the vine.

Today I am creating a new raised bed for tomatoes in a really sunny place. Layering chopped leaves, mushroom compost, straw and newspapers and will let it cook through the winter. That will make a big difference in what succeeds next year. And I'm reading the threads from the DG Tomato forum (and the Tomatoville site) to find out more about good varieties to grow around here. There sure are a lot of tomato growers/fanatics online!

I know Melissa grows so many different kinds of heirlooms and it would be interesting to hear about her crop this year...

These are my new stick tripods for my tomato vines. We just got them up about a week ago (a little late and messy) but hopefully we will get a few more tomatoes to ripen yet this fall if it says sunny enough...

Thumbnail by tabasco

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5616989

Tabasco, check out this link to my strawbale experiment this year for your raised bed.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/840638/

Doug
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

September 30, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #5617179

Doug's strawbale gardens were *awesome*. I learned so much by looking at how he put them together. The plants were huge and healthy, even at the end of the summer. I just wish we got more sun - that's our downfall. We'd have to plant them right by the sidewalk for them to get full-sun, and it would look weird on our lot. Our neighbors wouldn't like looking at it in front of the house, and neither would we. LOL

I'm going to ask my next-door neighbor Mandi to try some gardening experiments. She's a gardener, loves veggies, and best yet, has abundant sunshine in her back yard.

This message was edited Sep 30, 2008 11:02 AM

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2008
3:55 PM

Post #5617488

Thanks for the compliment Kimberley!
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 30, 2008
7:35 PM

Post #5618206

Hi, Doug,

Just read through your strawbale gardening trials and found it fascinating. I remember reading Ken'ts first posts about it last year (before there was a forum dedicated to Strawbale) and then I forgot about the method, so thanks for reminding me. It looks like from your serial that it's good to have some kind of bank boards around the bales for maximum good effect. Is that right?

Then, as I recall, someone somewhere plants out their bales with a spade full of planting mix in each planting hole. I suppose this is necessary when you're on the fast track (impatient to plant), especially when the bales don't have time to decompose initially...I'm going to have to do more research...

We worked this morning on layering some lasagna beds. We made them 3 ft wide by 12 ft long and will build some bank boards around the beds, especially since you had success with them in your trials. We are waiting for the leaves to fall to layer in chopped leaf mould into the beds. So far we have cardboards, straw (I don't know what kind, I'd better check that out), mushroom compost, some 10-10-10 fertilizer, and will wait now for a good fat layer of chopped leaves and then some more compost, etc. I don't know it all the layering is worth it if all I have to do is lay out some straw bales and plant them, though! Oh, well.

Someone said that the tastiest tomatoes are grown in pure leaf mould beds but I don't know if that's true or not. I do believe that the type of growing medium does influence the taste, but I'm not sure exactly why. Maybe the balance of nutrients...?

Kim, I feel for you about the sun issue! Our best sun is in the front yard and our neighbors are getting a little fed up with my growing experiments going on for all to see (because mostly they are failures!). I did have 2 more trees removed from our back yard this morning, so maybe that will help. (I had 12 trees removed earlier in the summer, but it didn't make much of a difference.) I am making the new lasagna gardens at my sister's house nearby and she has loads of sunshine (but 3 black walnut trees to avoid, always something!)

How lucky that you got to stop at Doug's on the way to the Fall KY RU. Must have been fun to see the trials, and Bardstown is such a pretty place.

Tonight we are having omelettes made with the tomatoes and basil from the garden. So fun to have the different heirlooms to taste test!

Would like to see more pics of different gardens. Lots of ideas here! t.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2008
1:13 AM

Post #5619569

I didn't use any planting mix in the bales, after the Ammonium Nitrate treatment Kent describes the bale were soft/mushy enough to just spread apart and stick the plants into the bales and push back together. I am very pleased with the results.
I will definitely do this next year, just lay the fresh bales out sooner and let nature decompose them for me.

Doug

tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2008
11:08 PM

Post #5623016

That's good to know. I'll be following along on your progress next spring!

Are you going to start your own tomato seeds?
unclehudy
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2008
8:36 PM

Post #5752010

My tomatoes died off a little early this year. I had some white little bugs on the underside of the leaves that did some damage before I figured out what the problem was. Of course the rabbits didn't help out when they ate my 2 red brandwine plants. I wasn't that impressed with black krim but atkinson and market wonder did great. Also, caspian pink produced good size fruit. I also planted 1 tommy toes (cherry tomato) and the hybrid beefsteak ( very big but not many maters).
I saved seeds by covering the buds with a wedding veil like cloth. The problem I have for next year is that I'm cutting back to 12-15 plants compared to almost twice that many this year. Which to choose?
Here's one of the grandkids collecting tomatoes.

Thumbnail by unclehudy

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2008
8:52 PM

Post #5756210

Wonderful!

Wish we could get that just picked taste year round!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America