-
AuthorContent
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2008
4:33 PM

Post #5613379

Hope someone has some suggestions for me with this magnifica. This plant is from a cutting I got in the spring DL Co-op. It rooted and has been growing great but lately I've noticed some of the vines turning brown and dying back a little ways. I have just been trimming the dead pieces off. Any ideas as to what would cause this?

I took a quick picture, can you see what I mean? There's one short end that is totally brown and I have cut back a few stems that were like this. I am going to repot in fresh mix later today but I'm wondering what to do about the stems turning brown. I should have taken a picture when it had three or four brown dead stems. I did have a couple of leaves turn yellow and fall off and immediately checked to see if the soil was too wet ... it was on the dry side. I wonder if I am keeping this particular one too dry?

Well, I have to go finish mowing the lawn. I will check back in later in hopes of some feedback!

Lin

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

September 29, 2008
9:58 PM

Post #5614509

Sometimes when the vine points downwards, it will die back to the next node. The one brown area I can see looks as if it were cut below the node...if there is no top node, they often will die back. I don't know why it does it...mine does it too from time to time...just part of the growing, I think.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2008
10:30 PM

Post #5614597

Thanks, Carol. So, you don't think anything is wrong with the plant? Here's another picture where I zoomed in on the plant and the brown stem is visible. Those nubby looking stems in the center did the same thing, they were growing long and then just began to turn brown and die back so I cut them off. Is it a good idea to cut the dead stem away or should it be left alone? I know I'm being a worry wart but I don't want to kill this plant.

Thanks as always for all your great advice.

Lin

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

September 29, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #5614771

Definitely cut the dead part back. You can see new growth coming from the nodes... Just like people...sometimes they just get 'zits'... lol
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 29, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #5614805

LOL, love that description, I've got to remember that!

Thanks so much for your help.
markroy68
San Francisco, CA

September 30, 2008
4:18 AM

Post #5615985

Lin, your plant looks fine, but magnifica is a very vigorous grower, makes lots of roots very quickly and takes lots of water. Don't grow it dry.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

September 30, 2008
5:30 AM

Post #5616106

...and Mark reminded me that it is one of those hoyas that really doesn't like being pot bound...it like a bit more room. Others like that are H. imperialis, H. albiflora...H. calycina too.

Carol
propmaker
Teguise
Spain

September 30, 2008
6:34 AM

Post #5616157

Ive have H arrchboldiana, H crassicaulis and H purpurea fusca do the same Lin. A healthy new growth will first loose its tip, then die back. It stops at a node somewhere, then re shoots at that node or further down. If the whole plant were in trouble, it kind kicks the bucket in a more spectacular way...and all the leaves yellow, fall, followed by the collapse of the plant. I would say its going to be fine, but dont be surprised if it does it again somewhere. You could also try moving the plant to a different position.
Dominic

This message was edited Sep 30, 2008 2:37 AM
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2008
12:10 PM

Post #5616461

Thanks so much for all the good advice and tips!

... Whew, I am relieved that what's going on with this one is easy to fix, I was worried that it was dying. I didn't realize it was a hoya that prefers a lot of water like imperalis. I'm going to do as Dominic suggested and change the location too. It's been on the front porch but I will move it to the back deck right next to imperalis. Plants out in that area get watered more often than the plants on the front porch.

I didn't get a chance yesterday but am going to take it out of the pot today and take a look at the roots. I had no idea that some hoya like roomier pots, I thought they all loved being root bound! I didn't think this one could be root bound since it was a cutting placed in this pot back in April/May when I received it, but you never know, it put on a lot of growth this summer so it might need a larger pot.

I am learning so much from this forum! Thanks again for the advice, you all are great!

Lin

markroy68
San Francisco, CA

September 30, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #5617441

This is a pot of H. albiflora, which is a very similar species to magnifica and calycina. The scale is misleading, the plant is actually in a 10" plastic pot siting in a 16" terra cotta pot. The whole thing is over 6' tall when sitting on the ground. This plant is only three years old from a 2 node cutting!
See how the older leaves are kind of yellow and have died off near the base? Its because the plant is so root-bound it is hard for me to keep it adequately watered. These species also seem to like a bit of extra fertilizer, as well as extra water compared to most Hoya species.

Thumbnail by markroy68

propmaker
Teguise
Spain

September 30, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #5617687

Big plant Mark...has it flowered yet?
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2008
5:11 PM

Post #5617749

Wow! That is one nice plant, Mark! Beautiful. That's only 3 years old from a cutting?! Amazing! Does magnifica grow that fast? I was kinda surprised at how fast my cutting grew just in a couple of months ... it will be awesome if it grows like that in just a couple of years!

I am so glad I posted to get feedback from you all. I feel so relieved that nothing is wrong with my plant! Now, I need to go out and remove it from the pot and inspect the roots and repot it ... and WATER! Ocassionally I use VF-11 plant food and add a drop of super thrive to the water too ... is that detrimental in any way? I'm bad about remembering to feed so I figured since it's not all the time it wouldn't hurt anything.

Mark, thanks for posting that photo of your gorgeous albiflora! That looks exactly like what my magnifica has been doing.
Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

September 30, 2008
5:29 PM

Post #5617804

Lin,

My H. magnifica has behaved just as badly as yours. I've had my plant about six month's longer than you have. At one point, it looked like I was going to lose it, and then all of a sudden it rebounded and trippled in size. Right now It looks great, but the verdict is still out on this plant for me as to whether I'm going to be successful with it or not. It is supposed to be very closely related to H. australis, and I just threw out my last one of those - yesterday as a matter of fact. This is really supposed to be one of the easy ones to grow, and I can't grow it to save my life, and I've tried everything. I have to say that it is very liberating to finally be rid of them, because they caused me much undue stress - One day they look great; I water it, and 36 hours later they are on death's door. Who needs a plant like that? It seems to be all about finding Hoya that do well in your conditions, and H. australis (at least 5 different species) hate my conditions, and apparently me personally.

Doug
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

September 30, 2008
5:37 PM

Post #5617829

OH dear...another theory shot full of holes... I thought australis was one of the easy ones.
Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

September 30, 2008
5:49 PM

Post #5617862

Carol,

That was part of the reason, I ordered so many different kinds, and raised 40 of the seedlings from a seed pod that I got in a cutting order from you. I just have to say that they HATE (for emphasis; not yelling) Vermont!

Doug
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2008
5:53 PM

Post #5617875

LOL Doug ... I think you are right about finding ones that will be happy and love living in our particular area of the world! I have a couple of australis I got in trades and they are doing really well, just started putting on growth spurts this summer and one has two peduncles so I hope to see some flowers before long! So far the ones I have, all seem to love the heat and humidity ... and I guess they better or they will have to move someplace other than Florida cause that's all we've got here ... heat, humidity and more humidity!

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2008
5:56 PM

Post #5617881

Doug, just a thought ... I hate to hear of anyone throwing out hoyas (LOL, or any other plant for that matter) ... if you end up with any more that don't want to live in Vermont, you could sell them on the MarketPlace! I bet they would go real fast!
Hoya_24
Waterville, VT
(Zone 4b)

September 30, 2008
6:16 PM

Post #5617955

Lin,

Good idea, but right now with my new job and other responsibilities it is just too hard to find the time to deal with shipping anything out. I'm also going to use this winter as a time to thin out my collection. I only want the best of the best that look and do well in my conditions - no more fussbudgets!

Doug
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 30, 2008
7:13 PM

Post #5618122

Doug, That's understandable if you are trying to deal with a new job and every day responsibilities, you wouldn't want the hassle of listing plants for sale and then have the process of packing and shipping. I was all prepared to tell you to talk to those hoyas that you will be thinning and ask them if they'd like to live in Florida! :-)

I just went out back and un potted magnifica. I was surprised at the amount of roots and boy was it dry! I repotted into a little bit bigger pot and since we are having a nice rainy afternoon, I stuck a bunch of plants out on the pool deck to take advantage of the water!

markroy68
San Francisco, CA

September 30, 2008
7:23 PM

Post #5618151

Dominic, no flowers yet, sadly. Calycina and australis bloom mostly in the fall here- so since this is a related species I am hoping for blooms this fall. There are tons of peduncles- and funny, for such a grand plant, the peduncles are tiny- about 1/4 inch (.75cm) and very fuzzy.
Doug, I hear you. I have thrown out a number of Hoya that were a thorn in my side, and with great pleasure.

This message was edited Sep 30, 2008 6:34 PM
propmaker
Teguise
Spain

September 30, 2008
10:08 PM

Post #5618770

Yes, the peduncles are rather short and squat. Mine hasnt flowered yet.I had been looking at those stumps and had convinced myself they were peduncles...
Gabro14
Whitestone, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2008
1:04 AM

Post #5619510

My calycina, which is pretty big and has lots of peduncles, hasn't bloomed yet, and this will be the second fall season. So hopefully this season they will bloom! And yes, very short and stubby peduncles.

Gabi
propmaker
Teguise
Spain

October 1, 2008
12:39 PM

Post #5620805

Having had another look at my short fat peduncle today, I have buds forming...very exciting.I hope they dont blast, its not a really established plant..fingers crossed.!!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2008
1:48 PM

Post #5621055

Dominic, which hoya did you find the peduncle on? Hope you will post a picture when it blooms! Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't blast and you get to see the blooms whichever one it is!
propmaker
Teguise
Spain

October 1, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #5621450

On my H magnifica on its short stumpy peduncle
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #5621506

Oh, okay .. you mentioned a few others too so I was wondering which one it was. I will keep my fingers crossed for you! I've only seen photo's and read descriptions of the blooms and I can't wait for mine to get to blooming stage! I hope you will post a picture when yours blooms.
propmaker
Teguise
Spain

October 1, 2008
4:05 PM

Post #5621613

Mine isnt much bigger than yours Lin, you may not have to wait too long..:))

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2008
4:43 PM

Post #5621740

I just got this cutting in April/May of this year. It rooted quickly and really put on some growth this summer ... I will be thrilled if I see peduncles forming in the near future! I'm going to be watching it closely!
MyHoyas
Trelleborg
Sweden

October 2, 2008
5:43 AM

Post #5624025

This is one of those hoyas that I have a sort of love/hate relationship with... When I had it bloom in November 2001 (yes, long time ago!) I really liked the flowers - to LOOK at! I've had to cut this hoya down and restart it several times, but I'm not giving up hope on seing the flowers again. I've had a peduncle ever since it bloomed and there have been small buds several times, but they've always fallen off...

/Christina

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hoyas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Carol Noel order just came in. Dianne492 14 Oct 6, 2008 12:55 AM
Collection of your favorite informational Hoya links PanamonCreel 20 Dec 14, 2009 11:56 PM
Variegated & Green leaf on Kerrii ACsAgapePlants 4 Mar 2, 2009 3:29 AM
Big leaves meltn 75 Jul 14, 2007 3:14 PM
Hoya Jackpot in Vegas!! ACsAgapePlants 26 Apr 13, 2008 10:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America