Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: 10 Hardy vines you should know: Wisteria, akebia

Communities > Forums > Article: 10 Hardy vines you should know
bookmark
Forum: Article: 10 Hardy vines you should knowReplies: 1, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wandygirl
Brookfield, CT

September 29, 2008
10:58 PM

Post #5614691

Wisteria is a puzzlement: My sister lives in Orange County, NY (zone 5) and has been trying to get hers to bloom for the past few years with no success. I think she has W. floribunda or perhaps W. sinensis. Here in western CT a nearby vacant lot has been overrun by Wisteria (not sure which species), oriental bittersweet and tree-of-heaven (truly an unfair name). In that setting the only good thing I can say about the wisteria is that it is giving the bittersweet a good challenge to see which will strangle the tree-of-heaven first.
I love Akebia quinata, but be warned. Don't turn your back on it. It will likely make the CT invasives list soon. It is definitely on the IPANE* radar.

*IPANE = Invasive Plant Atlas of New England
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

September 29, 2008
11:45 PM

Post #5614918

I had to use a chain saw to remove the wisteria - after it pulled the arbor away from the house, and got under the roof shingles. It still comes up from the ground - and sneaks up tree trunks and what have you so quick. Flowers? What flowers??? If I knew then, what I know now, I would have put this bully in some other location.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: 10 Hardy vines you should know Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love this... Sharran 9 Sep 30, 2008 2:43 AM
thanks for the great list of vines!! gardenTress 0 Sep 29, 2008 8:24 AM
seed germination capcarl 0 Sep 29, 2008 10:53 AM
A very useful article! DrDoolotz 3 Sep 29, 2008 3:07 PM
Silver Lace Vine Careywood360 5 May 26, 2009 3:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America