Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Weather: October Daily Weather, What's happening in your yard?

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 199, Views: 1,342
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2008
12:44 PM

Post #5620818

We are finally getting below 70º at night.
I know many of you have replaced cotton with fleece and wool.
We have had some fantastic pictures and we all love hearing about our families.
72.7 F / 22.6 C
Clear
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 68 F / 20 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h
Pressure: 31.01 in / 1050.0 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 72 F / 22 C
Visibility: 2.0 miles / 3.2 kilometers
Please come by often with a smile and a few words.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 1, 2008
1:30 PM

Post #5620980

Happy October!

We finally got our cool front the other day! Now the highs are only in the mid-80s rather than the upper 80s/low 90s. LOL It gorgeous out there right now, only 59 and heading up to about 85 this afternoon.

Here are my Four Nerve Daisies. They bloom from early early spring until frost. They also LOVE the hot dry summers and never miss a beat.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2008
2:38 PM

Post #5621241

Wow, Stephanie. Those are very pretty. I've never heard of them. They may be in my gardens next year.

As to the snaps, I don't do anything to them. They do that all on their own.

Wonderful pics everyone.

58F with (again) 84 coming later today.
Feels like: 58F

Barometer: 30.1 in ↑
Dewpoint: 41
Humidity: 53%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 7 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:24 AM
Sunset: 7:08 PM
UV Index: 6 Moderate

Public garden, Oregon.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2008
2:58 PM

Post #5621324

Stephanie, welcome I too love those daisies.
Celia, That's what my garden aspires to look like.
;)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2008
3:04 PM

Post #5621349

Yeah, mine, too.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 1, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #5621708

33 ~ overcast~ looks what in the forecast beginningThursday:
Cloudy with a chance of rain and snow showers. Lows in the upper 20s to mid 30s. Light winds.
Friday
Mostly cloudy with a chance of rain showers...mixed with snow in the morning. Highs in the mid 40s to lower 50s. Light winds.
Friday Night
Cloudy with a chance of rain and snow showers. Lows in the 30s.
Sidney~what a pretty start/thread; I see coleous, too:))
Stephanie~so glad it's cooled down; do you like hot weather? The dasisy's look great.
Dyson~ looks as if you're off to a great start, today, as well.
Joey~loved the gorgeous flower/colors.
kwanjin~it's a wonderful garden ~ from ocean views to garden views; very nice.
The overlook of Matanuska River; the pathway is being lost to slides/erosion.

Thumbnail by kiska

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 1, 2008
5:14 PM

Post #5621841

Sunny but very windy. Still a little chilly out too.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #5621875

Hi everyone! Just a quick wave to everyone to let you know I'm home ;-) We got back a week and a half ago but I've been busy with birthdays and other stuff since we got home I haven't had time to check in. Still busy so I probably won't have time to check in again until next week.

The trip was great and we all had a blast :-) We had wonderful weather both in France and Spain ... it was a rather brisk homecoming though - leaving 80F behind in Spain and arriving to 40F with wind and rain. The weather was like that for most of the time while we were away so we didn't miss a thing ;-) The remnants of Ike blew through here before we got home and pretty much took care of the fall colors this year. The trees all have tattered, brown leaves at least on the windward side. It was windy and rainy all last week as well, this week the rain is on a break and we've gotten some sunny spells. Today it's very blustery though and only 40F now at 1 pm, that's probably the high for today. Last night's low was close to 32F. Had to break out the snow suits and thick coats this morning ... (groan) ... The girls need new boots (I found out this morning) so we need to take care of that this afternoon ...

Hope you're all well!

Marylyn - how are you doing? Was there any damage from Ike where you live?? You've been in my thoughts since I heard about it.

I wish you all a wonderful day :-)

Rann

The girls in Disneyland :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 1, 2008
10:11 PM

Post #5622848

Welcome back from a wonderful vacation, Rann. The girls' expressions say it all.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 1, 2008
10:16 PM

Post #5622855

I'm not feeling well so I'll keep it short today.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on October 01, 2008
99 F / 37 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 18%
Dew Point: 48 F / 9 C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 29.86 in / 1011 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Few 17000 ft / 5181 m
(Above Ground Level)

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 1, 2008
10:27 PM

Post #5622881

Get well soon, kelli.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2008
10:38 PM

Post #5622912

Hi, everyone! Our internet is officially up - Yayyy! The Comcast guys came this morning. I spent the morning/early afternoon when Joy & I weren't working on homeschool getting caught up on our e-mail - over 215 messages. Yikes! I deleted 99.8% of the "Fwd: Fwd: Fwd:This is cute!" messages without reading them.. don't tell my aunts.

Then I semi-caught up in here... The photos have been wonderful, as usual!

Welcome back, Rann!

I hope you feel better SOON, Kelli!! Go Dodgers!

Happy (very belated) birthday, Joey.

I'm sad for you and Kelsey about your family moving away, Kiska.

Congratulations to your dh, Celia!

We'll try not to share our hurricanes next time, Ric, and all of those who Ike visited after leaving us.

I edited a bunch of (rather dim! - at least the inside ones) photos.. I'll put them up in a Picasa Web gallery tomorrow. :-)
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2008
10:40 PM

Post #5622919

Gee, I haven't done this in so long, I forgot the weather! It's absolutely gorgeous right now... sunny and 84%. Our low tonight is supposed to get down into the upper 50%s! It sounds heavenly. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 4:53pm CDT (45 min ago)
Temperature 84 F 29 C
Dew Point 46 F 8 C
Humidity 26%
Pressure 29.99 in 1015.7 mb
Wind Speed 8 MPH 7 kts
Wind Dir NNE 20
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 81 F 27 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 57.9F / 14.4C
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 1, 2008
10:55 PM

Post #5622974

Welcome back, Marylyn~so good to see you again~ thanks, they will be missed, for sure.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2008
11:09 PM

Post #5623019

It is still light here! but it is fading fast!

72 in the house, 67 (and dropping) outside. Another beautiful early autumn day spent inside a factory.

Marylyn_TX - I am not good at them but... {hug}... so good to see you back.

Kelli - get well soon.

Rann - which Disney did you visit?

And all - fair winds and calm seas.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #5623024

It's cold, dark and wet here today so here's a verse from a weather related song that also kind of reflects the mood of the country by one of my favorite singer/songwriters, Greg Brown.

Cold & Dark& Wet

Tell me what's a fellow supposed to do,
when a car costs what a house used to
And that house is a pile of,
chipboard, paint and debt
I'm at the city limits and
it's cold and dark and wet

Big rig rolling over me in a blizzard--
I'm living on beans and chicken gizzards
One day I was young, the next day I was old
Late November, it's wet and dark and cold

Jobs, I guess they're like wild geese--
They all went flying overseas
I'm standing in the rain smoking my last cigarette
Morning in America is cold and dark and wet

Photo: A bit of fall color. Poison Ivy vine climbing a tree in the woods behind my back yard.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

petralittledog
Salina, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #5623266

That poison ivy vine is rather pretty in its fall dress. But I will definitely pass after spending the best part of a month fighting poison ivy or something that is very similar.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2008
12:54 AM

Post #5623315

Marylyn! Yeah! You're back! :D I thought that you'd never get the internet hooked back up! Glad that things are getting back to 'normal' for ya, but really glad that you are back! :D (Thanks for the wishes ;)

Rann! Glad that you are back, too! I was wondering if you had gotten lost or just decided to stay in Spain. :) Those are 2 of the prettiest smiles I have ever seen! :D

Kelli, I sure hope that you start feelin' better, soon. You're not relapsing, are you?

Celia, I forgot to mention earlier, I hope your DH does good thru the DT's. I can't get my Dh to quit...he says that he would have to use 2 patches & have the nicotine intravenously in order to quit. I really think that it's all about mental attitude & perseverance. (or will power)

E_B, Gorgeous looking PI. Our Va. Creeper is looking that way. :D But it sounds like you're down in the dumps. Or is it the 'cloudy day blues' ? Hope it clears up soon. ;)

Oh yea! the weather! Our high today was 61. Our low is supposed to be in the 40's & tomorrow night it is supposed to be down to 40! I think I will have to go get some of my flowers in tonight!

Thanks Sharon, My Dahlia's are still hanging in there! :D

Sidney, Love the Butterfly Bush(?)!!

Thumbnail by music2keep

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 2, 2008
1:14 AM

Post #5623380

Early Bloomer, neat lyrics - I'm thinking they may become true for more of our working people. Hope not.

Overall, gardeners are a very resilient people. "Who plants a seed beneath the sod, and waits to see, believes in God" A lot of us will be living a little more carefully in the months ahead - but beauty has no intrinsic price and can be shared among ourselves and our friends. I need to be careful in the months ahead to provide for family and relatives. But I also need to share the beauty of our gardens and our Dave's Garden Family.

Weather here has been darn near perfect. We even had a thunderstorm this afternoon with 1/4 " of rain. Can't be better. Daytime temps are in the mid 70's and nights have become cooler at 45 degrees. Uh,oh, winters coming. LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 2, 2008
1:24 AM

Post #5623402

Hey we finally got some rain Monday night.
Maybe 1/4" but we'll take it.

Here's a shot from our back dock at work.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 2, 2008
1:26 AM

Post #5623405

The whole 'Crew'

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2008
3:47 AM

Post #5623874

Hi Joey...It's all good. Here's a photo of me, my son and my grandson. He's 2 months old now.

early_bloomer

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 2, 2008
3:48 AM

Post #5623876

Love the deer pics, ric. They are such a pretty animal.
se-eds~that's very well put; so glad you had a good rainfall, too.
E_B~at least the poison ivy is nice looking; it's not up here, but I do recall getting into it, as a child. We'd visited family in Michigan and it was there~most unpleasant ~
These past few months, my oldest daughter and her husband have welcomed into their home, his seriously ill father. After a wonderful few months here; getting to know his Alaskan family/friends, he passed away quietly yesterday. He had said he was so glad to have come up here and we loved getting to know him, too. He's going to missed by his many "new" friends here.
As my DG friends, I felt the need to share this with you. Thank you all for becoming a wonderful part of my life.
Jackie

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 2, 2008
3:49 AM

Post #5623879

E_B~what a beautiful family and photo.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2008
3:56 AM

Post #5623888

That's just beautiful, Kiska. Thank you. Thank goodness for friends.

Early, Mr. Radio Flyer is very handsome, isn't he? As are you and your son.

Darrell is doing okay, I guess. He's feeling the withdrawals and isn't liking them. It'll get better as the time goes but for now it's kind of rocky. He'll be fine, though. He's the strongest person I know.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2008
9:53 AM

Post #5624183

LOL Joey - well, with the sun and warm temps it was tempting to stay longer. I can't say we were eager to go back to rainstorms and cold weather ;-) On the other hand we couldn't afford a much longer vacation ... with the economic crisis going around the world the icelandic currency (krona) has taken a dive so we're not really looking forward to getting our visa bill ... It's around 100 kr. to a dollar now (the euro is even higher); a year ago it was around 60 ... (sigh). Needless to say prices are skyrocketing since most things are imported ...

I had a bit of a shock when I went looking for boots with Hildur Eva yesterday. $120 ! Yikes! Another store had some really pretty ones (have to be pink ;-) lol) for $70 which I thought was really expensive last year, but all of a sudden those were a bargain! lol Unfortunately they were sold out in her size, another shipment is due tomorrow I think and I'm fearing they'll be more expensive since the currency just keeps falling ... :-S

Dyson - we went to Disneyland Paris :-)

We had a freeze last night. The wind has calmed, there's a light cloud cover and currently 37F.

Have a great day everyone!

Rann

Another one from Disneyland Paris :-) I went to Disney World in Florida quite a few times while I lived there and it was very similar ... I missed Epcot Center though ... ;-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2008
9:57 AM

Post #5624189

Good Morning! How did I get so far behind again? LOL~

Hi Stephanie Pretty Daisys! Your temps sound like ours.
Celia Beautiful garden. Thats kinda what mine wants to look like when it grows up :)
Kiska Brrrr a tad chilly in the area. Looking forward to the snow pics.
Rann Welcome back! Sounds like you had a wonderful time on vacation. The girls are growing up before our eyes they are beautiful. I heard Ike was heading your way, didnt really think it would hit though. Ike left made a disaster everywhere it went.
Kelli I hope you feel better soon
Marylyn Welcome back! Weve missed you! {{{HUGS}}}
E_B Thats a rather bleak song, but it rings true. The poison ivy sure is pretty.
Joey Your Dahlias are certainly hanging in there! I think mine decided it was just too hot to try anymore LOL
Ric Nice pictures! They are so pretty.
E_B Thats a great family picture! What a handsome family you have.
Kiska Im really glad you got to know your SILs father before his passing. What a wonderful testament to him. Im so sorry for your loss. Thats a beautiful picture to post. My background now.

64.2 F / 17 C
Clear
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 43 F / 6 C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 29.86 in / 1011.1 hPa (Rising)

Today
Mostly sunny. High 77. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

It's going to be a gorgeous day, it's starting out very nice. I feel a briskness in the air. Didn't feel up to my normal workout this morning, so I cut it short, will finish after work. now that it is cooling down I am planning a garage sale with a friend. Time to move some clutter and stuff...one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Painted Lady Hibiscus

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2008
1:06 PM

Post #5624615

Good morning!! :-) It's sooo nice to be back! Thanks for the welcomes. ^_^

Kiska, I'm also sorry to hear about your SIL's father.. and glad you all got a chance to know him. I will be praying for you and your family.

It's cool! It hasn't been cool since early March, so this is a very welcome relief. On the downside, there is also an ozone alert for this afternoon when the air heats up. Apparently when it is warm, the skies are clear, and there is no wind, pollution becomes a huge issue; so very small children, elderly folk, and anyone with asthma or emphysema or similar issues are supposed to stay inside between 2 pm and 7 pm. Yuck.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (5 min ago)
Temperature 56 F 13 C
Dew Point 54 F 12 C
Humidity 93%
Pressure 30.04 in 1017.3 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 54.0F / 12.2C

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 2, 2008
1:21 PM

Post #5624667

Well, I'm behind again, too! Miss one day on here and that's what you get--behind!! LOL

Rann: welcome back--we missed you! So glad you all had a lovely vacation. The girls are as beautiful as ever--such sweet faces!
Marylyn: welcome back to you, too, and you were also missed! so glad things are getting back to "normal" for you.
Sidney: love the starting photo--so pretty!
Stephanie: I have never heard of Four Nerve Daisies but if they bloom from spring through fall I am going to have to try them in my garden next season--no matter how many nerves they have! LOL
Celia: I need a full-time caretaker for my gardens--then maybe they would look like the one in your photo!! LOL Oh, and tell Darrell that all of us here on the weather thread are cheering him on in his endeavor to quit smoking!
Kelli: so sorry you are still feeling poorly--get better soon. Loved the latest series of photos from Yellowstone!
Dyson: That was sweet of you to give Marylyn a "welcome back" hug. :o)
Kiska: What a touching story about your daughter's FIL and how nice it was for you all to get to know him--if only for a little while. The rainbow pic was very fitting, I think.
Se_eds: I agree with your sentiments completely! Right on!
Ric: great shots of the deer--such a beautiful animal. In my opinion, the deer and the horse are two of the most beautiful creatures on earth!
EB: 3 peas in a pod and very handsome ones, too! I am sure you are very proud of your son and grandson! As for the poison ivy--well, no matter what color it is, like petralittledog, I will also pass on it--that stuff has dealt me a lot of misery in the last few years and I want no part of it!!!
By the way, petra--did you know that there is a whole list of plants that can cause "contact dermatitis"--including the common mint? Ask me how I know--LOL!!!
Joey: love your dahlias! Now how about a pic of JW--I'm having withdrawals!!
Sharon: I've never had much luck with hibiscus. :o(( Yours is beautiful! BTW, the Donkey Ears is HUGE and has a lot of babies hanging off the ends of its "branches". I've already given some of them to new owners. :o))
Pepper: I think a good portion of the central U.S. is enjoying some really good weather right now from Texas up through Missouri--at least according to the weather maps.
Our weather has been just beautiful here in Arkansas, although we could use some rain. DH and I had to water the flowers and the lawn yesterday for the first time in a long time.
Today: Sunny
High 75F
Precip 10%
Wind: NNE 9 mph
Max. Humidity: 54%
UV Index: 7 High
Sunrise: 7:04 AM CT
Avg. High: 79F
Record High: 92F (1976)
Tonight:Clear
Overnight Low 47F (BRRRR!!)
Precip 10%
Wind: N 3 mph
Max. Humidity: 83%
Sunset: 6:50 PM CT
Avg. Low: 53F
Record Low: 37F (1985)

DH and I went to Grandparents' Day at our DGS' school last Friday. On the way home, I snapped this pic--a rural scene less than a mile from his school.

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 2, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5625191

25 ~ clear and getting light out. Sunrise is 8:07am.
Thank you all for thoughts and prayers. Very touching.
Gotta lots to do today so will get back later.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #5625197

Wonderful, everyone! Too much to comment on now.

65F with 83 for later. We have a bit storm coming. You can feel it in the air.
Feels like: 65F

Barometer: 29.9 in
Dewpoint: 40
Humidity: 40%
Wind: 8 mph SE
Sunrise: 7:25 AM
Sunset: 7:06 PM

This advisory...

"A POTENT PACIFIC SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO IMPACT THE REGION THIS WEEKEND. WIDESPREAD VALLEY RAIN AND MOUNTAIN SNOW CAN BE EXPECTED AS THE SYSTEM MOVES ACROSS THE REGION THROUGHOUT THE WEEKEND.

MOISTURE WILL BEGIN TO INCREASE OVER THE AREA ON SATURDAY. THE ASSOCIATED COLD FRONT IS THEN FORECAST TO MOVE ACROSS NORTHERN UTAH LATE SATURDAY... REACHING SOUTHERN UTAH BY SUNDAY MORNING.

SNOW LEVELS WILL FALL QUICKLY BEHIND THE COLD FRONT TO NEAR 7000 FEET. SNOW LEVELS ARE EXPECTED TO CONTINUE TO FALL THROUGHOUT THE DAY SUNDAY... REACHING NEAR 6500 FEET BY SUNDAY AFTERNOON ACROSS NORTHERN AND CENTRAL UTAH. THIS STRONG SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO BRING THE FIRST SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATION TO THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF NORTHERN... CENTRAL AND EVEN PARTS OF SOUTHERN UTAH SUNDAY."

Take care everyone!

I want this tree. Cedrus deodara, "Silver Mist".

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2008
3:45 PM

Post #5625199

A little chilly this morning but only a slight breeze. :~)

I will post pics again when I get my software installed. I keep stalling. lol
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2008
4:12 PM

Post #5625295

That is pretty Celia,
Morning everyone. Welcome to petralittledog. Hope you drop by again.
Marylyn I know you are sooooooooo glad life is resuming it's pace.
Rann those little dolls look like they loved every minute.
Ric, looks like a crew.
Reminds me of a sign posted in a break room.
"This corn is for squirrels and birds only! Any deer caught eating this corn will be shot on site!!!"
LOL
Dahlia is pretty Joey and Oct blooms are always a treat.
EB, looks like a wonderful bundle. EB#3 looks so alert and engaging. You are so blessed.
Sharon the Hibiscus love this weather too.
Kiska, I hope they move that fence to the left while they can. I loved your fall landscape and it's my new desktop.
Marsue I know your GBs are proud of you and DH too.
The plant at the top of the thread is a Duranta, aka pigeon berry. The butterflies do love it.
I have about a dozen and am continuously cutting off the heavy berries.
These are a 'standard' that is growing in the front of the garden.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 2, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #5626557

For anyone interested in coneflowers, there's a co-op where you can order CHEAP thru Oct. 6th at 3 p.m., I think.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/909039/
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #5626761

Marylyn You were cooler than us this morning! Hopefully that will make its way here soon.
Sidney That is a pretty start picture. I always wondered what it was called.
Marsue LOL at Donkey Ears! Can you imagine how bit it would get if not controlled? Beautiful picture!
Celia Cedrus is gorgeous! Snow!

69.1 F / 20.6 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 42%
Dew Point: 45 F / 7 C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.92 in / 1013.1 hPa (Rising)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 6500 ft / 1981 m

Tonight
Mostly clear. Low 56. North winds 5 mph.

Yesssssss Low 56*!

Damsel Fly

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2008
11:27 PM

Post #5626809

a l m o s t - dark. 62, clear, tired (not the weather - me). Best to all.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2008
3:27 AM

Post #5627634

48 tonight with a few showers expected tomorrow. Looks like a nice sunny autumn weekend ahead.

Thanks for the compliments on the little_bloomer. He is pretty perky for a 2 month old.
It's hard to believe I'm a Grandpa. Like the song said, One day I was young, the next day I was old.

Sidney...Your Duranta is really neat.
Ric...Nice deer photos. They look fat and healthy. My son had a big buck jump right over the hood of his car this morning. One of the buck's rear hooves left a nice skid mark across the hood.

rannveig...Looks like the kids had a great time at Euro-Disney. That cold weather on your return had to be a wake up call.

marsue...The poison ivy does stand out. I didn't realize there were vines that big so close to the yard. I've been trying to keep it in check and had done a fairly good job until the past year or so. My wife got into it a couple of years ago and really had a bad time .

Jackie...So sorry to hear of the loss in your family. The rainbow is beautiful.

Here a weather related link about the effects climate change will have on Pennsylvania.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08276/916784-113.stm

early_bloomer
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2008
9:56 AM

Post #5628153

Hope you slept well last night Dyson :)

E_D - The article is a real eye opener, would be a shame to loose all those resources. Global Warming can't be denied.

59.5 F / 15.3 C - Wooo Hoooo Below 60* LOL! It feels good outside.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 50 F / 10 C
Pressure: 30.01 in / 1016.1 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
Clouds: Few 10000 ft / 3048 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Mostly sunny. High 81. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

I want to buy some pumpkins and gourds, but it's still too hot for them outside.
Look at that belly, he's become a Michelin kitty. At least Sylvesters feet will stay warm this year. :)

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2008
11:41 AM

Post #5628347

Boo looks like a penguin. Have you looked to see if there's an egg under there? LOL

60F with 79 coming later. The sun isn't up yet. Dyson Dark but scattered light is on it's way. Very scattered, it's cloudy.
Feels like: 60F

Barometer: 29.8 in
Dewpoint: 48
Humidity: 64%
Wind: 3 mph S
Sunrise: 7:26 AM
Sunset: 7:04 PM
UV Index: 3 Low

Monarda

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2008
11:53 AM

Post #5628391

Very pretty! That's Sylvester - His fatness LOL! Boo would be miffed at being reffered to as "him". In her opinion - she is way too cute LOL! She likes to swat at him as he walks (waddles) by :)

Thumbnail by MySharona

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2008
12:01 PM

Post #5628414

Mornin' All! :D We were under a frost warning last night, 13 counties were included. Right now the temp is 40 w/ intermittent light. :)
At Dublin...
Frost advisory
Clear: 39F
Feels like: 37F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 39
Humidity: 100%
Wind: 3 mph SW
Sunrise: 7:21 AM
Sunset: 7:02 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

E_B, Love the 'little_bloomer'! :D Certainly a nice looking trio, but the little one is a doll baby! Adorable! :D LOL!! Just wait until he is about 1 year old! ;) I know what you mean...getting old. :) Va.'s trout level are in decline, too. WV, I feel sure they are here, too, but have not read any articles on it yet. I do know that the native Browns seem to be doing well. We have a stream (Tug River) where they seem to be thriving. Sorry your son had such a close call w/ the deer. DD had an encounter similar to that once...but the deer stabbed itself w/ the cars antenna!
Celia, Love the Silver Mist! Does it get tall? How is DH doing w/ the DT's? Pretty Monarda!
Marsue, Thanks for the Link! And for you 'withdrawal' symptoms...I can oblige! :D Is that a big lake in you pic?
Kelli, I hope you are feeling better today...
Sharon, Love the Hibiscus! Wow! The Damselfly is pretty, too. :D LOL!! 'Michelin kitty'! ---How is Gary's platelet level or have they retested yet?
Sidney, Thanks, Love the Pigeon Berry! The BF's must certainly love it. Quite unusual! :D
Marylyn, Ahhhhh, So good to have you back! It's like there was a piece of our puzzle missing! ;)
Rann, I'm glad that you had the opportunity to go, but am glad that you are back. Every time that you show us a pic of the girls...I think they get taller every time!
Kiska, Everyone there is in my thoughts & prayers.

Have a Great Day!!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2008
1:19 PM

Post #5628647

Living in TX makes me appreciate our long summers, short winters and sometimes long springs. We really have no fall. One day it's hot and the next it isn't. Just reading about temps up there in WV, PA and all that in the 30's and 40's makes me glad I don't live up there. I'm sure the people are very nice but I like my hot weather. 30's & 40's are really cold winter temps for us, you see. I have lived where the temps were lower, sooner and didn't like it much and now in my "golden years" I get cold much easier.

Ann
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 3, 2008
2:23 PM

Post #5628888

Dyson: hope you catch up on your rest this weekend.
Celia: "Silver Mist" is pretty as is the bee balm(monarda). Hope Darrell is doing okay with his quitting smoking campaign.
Sharon: the term "Michelin kitty" made me laugh!! Have you put Sylvester on a diet yet? (and was there an egg under there?--LOL) Boo is sure enough "her royal highness--the Queen Kitty". By the way, I will definitely NOT be putting Donkey Ears into a bigger pot--LOL!
Sidney: love that pigeon berry!
EB: sorry about your son's "run-in" with the deer. Deer can really do some major damage to a car (and vice versa). I had $3000+ damage to my car several years ago when a whole herd of them jumped out in front of me! Fortunately, I only hit one of them that I know of and it ran off.
Joey; thanks for the JW fix--I can hear him squealing now when you try to get some sugar for me from that sweet little neck!! No, that was just a pond in the photo above--not a lake.
Ann: I'm with you--glad I don't live up there in the "frozen north". My feet stay cold all winter down here in the South, as it is!

More lovely autumn-like weather today--
Today:Sunny
High 78F
Precip 10%
Wind: SE 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 57%
UV Index: 7 High
Sunrise: 7:05 AM CT
Avg. High: 79F
Record High: 90F (1973)
Tonight: Mostly Clear
Overnight Low 52F
Precip 10%
Wind: ESE 3 mph
Max. Humidity: 80%
Sunset: 6:48 PM CT
Avg. Low: 53F
Record Low: 37F (1985)

Another pic from the hay field in the photo above

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #5629103

Sharon, that's what I get for posting so early! LOL My appologies to Her Highness.

No, Joey, the Silver Mist doesn't get tall. 6 feet and 4 feet wide. Perfect for my yard except it's only hardy to Z6 and I'm Z5. I could try it but I'd have to mulch A LOT!

I think I'd have better luck with an Alaska Cedar. This is "Glauca Pendula".

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 3, 2008
9:32 PM

Post #5630230

Rain and snow showers in the evening. Snow showers likely after midnight. Snow accumulations 1 to 3 inches toward Hatcher Pass. Little snow accumulation elsewhere. Lows in the upper 20s to mid 30s. Variable wind 10 mph.
"They" could be wrong, but it does look like it could snow. Very gray, low clouds, 41 degrees, so a bit warm right now.
Again, thanks you all so much for the thoughts and prayers; it means a lot.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2008
9:34 PM

Post #5630234

Another bright beautiful cool autumn day ... no rest for the wicked, I have to work tomorrow. But that is OK, we can use the bread.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2008
9:54 PM

Post #5630296

LOL! Dyson!!! I thought that was "rest for the weary!"

Thumbnail by music2keep

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 3, 2008
9:59 PM

Post #5630310

Thank you for the get well wishes. I think I'm starting to get better.

Not hot, for once.

Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on October 03, 2008
75 F / 24 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 55%
Dew Point: 58 F / 14 C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the SE
Wind Gust: 20 mph / 32 km/h / 8.7 m/s
Pressure: 29.84 in / 1010 hPa (Falling)
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Few 5000 ft / 1524 m
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m
(Above Ground Level)

These are pictures from Norris Geyser Basin

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 3, 2008
10:01 PM

Post #5630315

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 3, 2008
10:06 PM

Post #5630329

It will not let me post another picture unless I write something so I am writing something.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 3, 2008
10:11 PM

Post #5630341

I can still almost smell these things. It's a hot, steamy, sulfur smell, kind of like boiling eggs, and not nearly as strong as something like an oil refinery.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2008
10:29 PM

Post #5630381

It was another nice day here, although the heat is back. It's going to be in the 60s tonight, which is not quite as cool as it has been. Ah, well... We still have several more weeks before anything really resembling fall gets here. :-)

I don't miss the cold of the north either, Ann! ^_^

Thanks for the JW fix, Joey! Your little bloom is adorable, too, E_B. :-)

If you're interested, here are a few photos we took after the hurricane: http://picasaweb.google.com/commerce.acct/HurricaneIke?authkey=6WxlPUSGxX0#

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 4:53pm CDT (30 min ago)
Temperature 88 F 31 C
Dew Point 59 F 15 C
Humidity 37%
Pressure 29.97 in 1015 mb
Wind Speed 10 MPH 9 kts
Wind Dir S 180
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 88 F 31 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 57.9F / 14.4C
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 3, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #5630517

I'm glad you let your kids draw on the sidewalk. We were never allowed to do that.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 3, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #5630597

Ric - that is a delicious shot of that deer. I raised my family on a lot of game and deer in the 70's and 80's. They grew up BIG and strong. LOL And they all know how to skin and dress an animal. I taught them survival techniques in gardening and hunting/fishing. And hoped they never had to use them.

Temps at 44 deg this AM, overcast and cloudy al day with a high 60 deg. We are closing down the gardens for the year. I still need to spread about a ton of mulch. Picture this ole lady unloading bags of mulch from the pickup truck into a wheelbarrow, then spreading it with a pitch fork. LOL - funny. They say it keeps you healthy - I think it makes you tired.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2008
3:51 AM

Post #5631473

So nice to see most of you back.

Kelli, good to hear from you again. We kinda missed you.

Kiska, your family means more than anything. I sure miss mine when they aren't around.

Marylyn? Awesome pictures! LOL We got to draw on the sidewalk when I was a kid. So much fun.

This girl doesn't know how to drive. She stopped everyone in the turn lane so she could get into her apartment driveway. The good part is, everyone was honking at her by the time she finally turned.

This message was edited Oct 3, 2008 9:52 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

mattsmom
Tomah, WI

October 4, 2008
9:46 AM

Post #5631851

We had our first frost here overnite. Current temp 32.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 4, 2008
3:02 PM

Post #5632561

Patchy fog this morning. Otherwise...
increasing clouds with isolated rain and snow showers.
Highs in the upper 30s to mid 40s. Variable wind to 10 mph
34 ~ dark sunrise: 8:12am
kwanjin~how true. Nice photo/slice of life ~ she'll not forget that moment:)
hi mattsmom: glittering frost is so beautiful; a very pretty transition.
se_eds~ tired and funny:) that would be a lot of work; but from what I've seen here, you always work hard. By the way, the minced parsley was great in the tuna salad. Thanks.
marylynnT_X~wow ~ the photos from your area/home were quite an eye opener. Glad you're all ok.
kelli~ feeling better and better? Sure nice seeing your trip and all the sites you visited.
music2keep~ JW looks as if he is reading:) So glad he's enjoying the books. He looks so cute and to see the phase from infant to toddler, has been a joy.
MySharona~what a cutie ~
Hi to all ~ have a great weekend.
September 26, the gkids and I went to watch the last of the salmon heading upstream.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 4, 2008
3:05 PM

Post #5632572

Salmon~ from the Pacific Ocean to Palmer, Alaska. End of their journey.

Thumbnail by kiska

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #5632620

I always enjoyed watching the Salmon while I was in Ketchikan. Also the eagles fishing for Salmon.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2008
3:50 PM

Post #5632688

Forgot :

Thumbnail by Dyson

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 4, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #5632709

That's neat that you get to see the salmon.

I think I feel a tiny bit better than yesterday. DH brought this back from his last business trip. He caught it on the plane. This is part of the reason why I hate to fly. More times than not, I end up getting a sinus infection. This time I wasn't even the one who flew. DH left today to go to Japan. I hope he brings me something, but not another disease.

60% chance of precipitation today. Woo! Woo! I've lived here long enough to know that I'll believe it when I see it. I figure we might get at most 0.1 inch of rain and then Santa Ana winds will start on Sunday or Monday. Anyway, it's pretty dark out. Later when I go read, I need to turn the light on. Usually that room is pretty bright.

Updated: 8:31 AM PDT on October 04, 2008
61 F / 16 C
Light Drizzle
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 55 F / 13 C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the South
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1013 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 8.0 miles / 12.9 kilometers
Clouds: Few 800 ft / 243 m
Mostly Cloudy 1300 ft / 396 m
Overcast 2000 ft / 609 m
(Above Ground Level)

This is a wildlife traffic jam. When you come to one of these, you know there are wildlife nearby.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 4, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #5632713

It's going around, Dyson.

Wildlife traffic jam, take 2.

Thumbnail by Kelli

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2008
4:29 PM

Post #5632796

Good morning!

It snowed here on Thursday night! And it's still here :-) or :-( depending on how you feel about snow. The girls are thrilled ... I think it's a bit early but it's supposed to be gone tomorrow so it's alright ;-) lol

Marylyn - great photos :-) I see Ike left quite a bit of mess behind. Glad there wasn't much damage. How long were you without electricity?

Celia- good luck to your DH. Love the Silver mist cedar - just gorgeous :-) I'd want one too if I lived where they could grow ;-)

Kiska - so sorry for your family's loss.

Sharon - Loved the photos of Silvester and Boo - they made me laugh :-)

Joey - JW is as cute as ever! He's getting big :-)

EB - great family photo :-) little bloomer is just too cute :-) And yes it was quite a wake up call ... and we needed it since it was around 4 am west - European time (2 am local) when we got out of the airport ... we were so tired I was worried DH couldn't keep awake on the way home ...

It was such an exhausting trip. The plane was one of those really crowded ones with no room for your legs and seats that hardly leaned back at all so it was pretty impossible to get any sleep ... when we got out of the airport at 2 am and picked up our car it had really low airpressure in all tires so we had to hunt for a gas station with an air pump ... that took half an hour, then it was a half hour drive home so it was just after 3 when we drove into our street ... and would you believe it - we got pulled over by the police! ARRRRGGGGHHH ... it was DUI check .. after all it was 3 am on a Saturday night , but we just wanted to get to sleep! I don't think I've ever been so happy to be home and crawl into my own bed ... EVER! lol

It's been a beatiful day here today. Sunny with a high around 38F. The girls are enjoying the snow while it lasts :-) I'm busy preparing for Selma's birthday party tomorrow, she turned 10 last Sunday.

Hope you all have a wonderful day! :-)

Rann

The view out the living room window on Thursday night. The girls were so excited to see the snow, you'd think they'd never seen it before. LOL Hildur Eva wanted to sing christmas carols, but I told her it was a tad too early for that! lol

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2008
4:43 PM

Post #5632828

Kelli - neat photos of the geysers and I'm glad you're gradually getting better :-) The smell from the geysers is a very familiar smell to us here - that's how our hot water smells. I don't mind it, it's so faint we barely notice it. But tourists find it really weird. However, about a year or so ago a geothermal electric plant opened east of Reykjavik and when the wind's blowing from the east or it's calm outside there's that sulfur smell in the air here. I was really surprised at first and wondered if there was a busted hot water pipe somewhere in the neighborhood - the smell (stink) can be really strong sometimes - I can't say I'm very fond of it ...

What kind of wildlife caused all that excitement?

Rann

Our snowy street, yesterday morning

Thumbnail by rannveig

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2008
5:44 PM

Post #5632966

Lucky you, Rann. Snow in October happens here but not very often and not so much. We can see snow in the higher elevations. Makes the skiers happy. Not me, though! LOL

Kelli, I so need to go back the Yellowstone. It's been way too long. Thanks for the reminder.

Awesome that you get to see salmon. A beautiful and yummy fish.

55F with only 63 for our high. It's raining! Yea!
Feels like: 55F

Barometer: 29.6 in
Dewpoint: 50
Humidity: 83%
Visibility: 6 miles
Wind: 11 mph S
Sunrise: 7:27 AM
Sunset: 7:03 PM
UV Index: 2 Low
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #5633079

Celia - snow this early in October is also very rare here - it was a real treat for the girls. And since I'd planted all my bulbs I don't really mind either ;-) lol There was actually a soccer match today - the final in the soccer cup here and they had a lot of snow to clear off the field before the match could take place! lol
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2008
6:51 PM

Post #5633092

Our electricity was off for 13 days, Rann. Long enough! :-) We had a generator overnight the very last night. Your snow photos are beautiful, especially the night one.

I think I see a deer sitting down in the photo, Kelli... Was there other wildlife there, too? I hope your dh brings you a non-viral souvenir from Japan, too! My dh would love to be sent to Japan on a business trip... He generally gets sent to exciting places like Milwaukee instead. LOL He has loved Japan for years.

There is no rain in our forecast until maybe Monday... I need to remember to turn the sprinkler on tomorrow, as hard as that is to believe! :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 12:53pm CDT (56 min ago)
Temperature 86 F 30 C
Dew Point 57 F 14 C
Humidity 37%
Pressure 30.11 in 1019.7 mb
Wind Speed 10 MPH
G 21 9 kts
G 18
Wind Dir SSE 150
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 85 F 29 C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 66.9F / 19.4C
6 hour max temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 86.0F / 30.0C
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2008
8:32 PM

Post #5633312

Sunny, warm with a slight breeze. Rain coming in tomorrow night, Monday and Tuesday. We desperately need it to kill the dust on the roads and to wash my truck. Can't tell what color it is right now with all the dirt on it.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 4, 2008
10:07 PM

Post #5633571

Rann, that traffic jam was caused by elk. We also saw bison traffic jams. (Is it true that in Europe, what Americans call an elk is called a wapiti and what Americans call a moose is called an elk?) I read that none of the geysers in Iceland are in their natural state - all have been turned into spas or geothermal plants. Is that true? Since geyser is an Icelandic word, how is it pronounced in Icelandic (the best you can phoentically spell it)? We heard British people calling them "geezers".

Marylyn, DH usually gets trips to the glamour capitols, too, like Tulsa and Phoenix. He's never been to Japan before. Neither have I. He didn't seem all that thrilled to be going, but the conference he'll be attending will be boring.

No rain, but this was the coolest day we've had in a long time. They're calling for it to be hot again next week.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on October 04, 2008
66 F / 19 C
Overcast
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 54 F / 12 C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 29.83 in / 1010 hPa (Falling)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 2500 ft / 762 m
Overcast 3600 ft / 1097 m
(Above Ground Level)

This is Artists Paintpots.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 4, 2008
10:09 PM

Post #5633576

a little blub thing - That's my word. I called all the little things "blub". When we were kids and we didn't have a word for something, we made one up.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 4, 2008

Post #5633580

(Let's get with the program here, Kelli.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 4, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #5633582

Scenery of no particular significance

Thumbnail by Kelli

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2008
10:52 PM

Post #5633658

Seeds here's hoping your tired yields great vigor.
I know your place is gracious and awesome when all those blooms there are popping.
Kiska, fresh Salmon sounds soooo good.
I may have to come try some one time. I agree with Ann though and am ever grateful it stays warm longer than not.
Rann, a Police stop is always aggravating. So glad your DH was sober.
That resembles a Winter Wonderland to me. I agree with Hildur Eva, time to sing christmas carols.;)
Joey that dollbaby needs to come visit me. I'm sure he's all backed up with Grandmas already.
I would love some GBs, but I don't think my son has any interest in getting married.
Marsue I made a wish on one of those bales.
I love Harvest and seeing everything getting lined up for inspection.
Celia Hope DH is coming along okay. The hardest habit to break, period!
Pepper I can remember long dry autumns and dust crusted cars.
My car is covered in some kind of pollen so it might as well be dust.
Kelli hope just reading about it won't hurt.
Great that your DH gets to travel to good places.
Those Geysers are a trip. Is Old Faithful still on time?
Sharon next spring I want cuttings of Manarda and Lady Margarite.
Marylyn I enjoyed those pictures. Even a shot of you. All looked terrific in spite of the distress.
77.4 F / 25.2 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 41%
Dew Point: 52 F / 11 C
Wind: 2.2 mph / 3 km/hfrom the East
Wind Gust: 8.3 mph / 13 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 78 F / 26 C
Sidney.
Copperleaf again,

This message was edited Oct 4, 2008 8:51 PM

Thumbnail by sugarweed

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 4, 2008
11:31 PM

Post #5633762

Marylyn - wow 13 days! Sheeshhh that must have been tough!

Kelli - great photos from Yellowstone :-) That's a place I'd really like to visit ;-) Yes it's true that the moose is called an Elk in Europe (Elgur in Icelandic), not sure what they call the Elk. We pronounce geyser : gaisir (ai = hair; i=in with a hard r on the end ;-) lol) Hope your DH has a good trip to Japan.

Sidney - lol - I'm not ready for Christmas carols until november at the earliest ;-)

Rann

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 5, 2008
3:59 AM

Post #5634586

Yes, Sidney, it is hard. Now if I could just get my brother to stop drinking for good. He's asked me to help him but I can't be there ALL the time.

Such a day! Moose traffic jams, deer traffic jams, painter's leaving their paintpots everywhere, coleus running amok...what's the world coming to? LOL

Anybiody have a suggestion on what to put here? It's full sun and whatever it will be should be a climber. I can't get anything to grow against this wall. I think lime is leaching from it. (the wall) I've had 2 roses and a wisteria. They all died.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2008
1:58 PM

Post #5635411

Celia, sometimes you just get lucky as in the Wisteria didn't live. They are Uber Invasive.
However a good solution to lime leach is to sink a pot
with good soil and plant in it. I'd use a 3 gallon plastic pot. I bet climbing roses would then grow there.
Then, I could send tou a start of Kudzu.
LOL
;)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 5, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #5635816

I'm behind again--LOL!
Kelli: loving the continuing "tour" of Yellowstone. We had a well back in the '80's that had water that smelled like sulphur. A filter on it did the trick--took away the hard water feel and the "rotten egg" smell. Glad you are feeling somewhat better. Maybe you should "de-bug" your DH before he comes back into your house after his trip to Japan. I don't know how you would do that, though, unless you spray him with Lysol or something, which I don't recommend! LOL
Joey: JW is "reading"!! LOL I take it that Kiska sent him that book?
Kiska: you get to see in person the things we only get to see on the nature shows on TV. Only one thing is missing--where are the grizzlies that like to eat all those salmon? Hopefully, they are far, far away from you!!
Rann: that nighttime snow scene(or was it early morning?) is lovely. I still have one of your snow scenes in my screen saver folder from last year.
Marylyn: 13 days without electricity--you were really roughing it! We were without electricity for 3 days once due to an ice storm and I thought that was bad.
Sidney: I have never heard of wishing on a hay bale (stars, yes)--what's that all about? LOL
Celia: Sidney's suggestion about the pot sounds like a good one. Either that or find a plant that likes lime! LOL

DGS' football team lost their game yesterday afternoon: 29--15. So far they have won 3 and lost 2.

Another beautiful day in the neighborhood here. We didn't get any rain in our area yesterday although some other parts of the state received some showers. High today supposed to be 82. Currently it is 70 and sunny. This is shortly after sunrise this morning--the clouds have now gone away.

Thumbnail by marsue

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #5635982

It's going to be another warm and windy day today. Fall hasn't arrived in my part of the world yet! LOL I wish it would hurry up, though. Going to be in the upper 80s/low 90s today with lots of sunshine and wind. Supposed to have a "cold front" coming through in the next day or so. Temps will drop into the low 80s for highs. I'll take it!!

The bees were enjoying my Hummingbird Sage this morning while I was out collecting seeds.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 5, 2008
4:38 PM

Post #5635998

Great photo, Stephanie! I love all kinds of salvia/sage. Is that its real name--"Hummingbird Sage?

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 5, 2008
5:22 PM

Post #5636113

Wow, I am so way behind! Beautiful pics everyone! It's been a busy week here , it was warm, but it's raining and it's cold again today.
This is a sunrise from a few days ago.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2008
6:02 PM

Post #5636224

Marsue~It's also called Texas Sage (Salvia Coccinea). All of my seeds were supposed to be for the light pink variety (pic below), but somehow this wild hot pink to dark red one got in the bunch!

Thumbnail by stephanietx

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 5, 2008
6:07 PM

Post #5636230

I know it as Texas hummingbird sage.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2008
11:50 PM

Post #5637107

I have a similar sage blooming now. It too is red.
I did see my first Hummingbird in 13 summers last month.
For 10 years I kept a feeder filled.
I quit 2 years ago, wouldn't you know.
It's getting between 60 and 65º at night now.
A sputter of rain tonight.
Sidney
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 6, 2008
12:55 AM

Post #5637331

36* mixed snow/rain all day so far. Neary 5pm~ calm outside.

Snow and rain showers in the evening...then scattered snow showers after midnight. Snow accumulation less than one inch in the valley...up to 3 inches higher elevations. Lows in the mid 20s to around 30. Light winds.
Monday
Mostly cloudy with scattered snow showers. Highs in the mid to upper 30s. Light winds
Loved seeing all the sights and seeing what's going on. Short on time right now; till tomorrow.
My brother and I a few years ago:)
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 6, 2008
1:27 AM

Post #5637462

Well, Stephanie, I am going to have to have some of the Hummingbird Sage for my garden next year. Except for Hot Lips, my salvias are some shade of blue and/or purple. Unfortunately, the Black and Blue Salvia got mealy bugs this past month and I had to pull up most of it. The other salvias didn't seem to be affected by the mealy bugs.
Sidney: it's amazing that you haven't seen a hummingbird in thirteen years!! Wow!!Adina: great sunrise!
Kiska: boy, that photo brings back memories! I have some photos that look very similar. "Lows in the mid 20's" Brrrrr!

Currently 66 and Dyson dark.

fan flower

Thumbnail by marsue

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2008
10:10 AM

Post #5638384

Well, yall have been busy! I spent most of the weekend outside playing in the dirt. Now I have a cold. Garys mother will pick him up this morning as he cant be around me. I feel bad for him because he is quarantined in his bedroom until she picks him up.

Joey Thank you for the JW fix. He is so adorable, his face the expressions LOL!
Marsue A question. My rose is getting really leggy. What do I do?
Celia That Alaska Cedar is beautiful.

Im living vicariously thru the frost and snow posts. Were back to warm and humid again. Aaaaaack :P

Kelli Cool geyser pics!
Marylyn You are so lucky there wasnt more damage from Ike. Im so glad you werent harmed. I grew up chalking up the driveway!
Kiska Neat pictures of the salmon!
Rann What a beautiful picture! Looks like a Christmas card.
Pepper I mowed the lawn last weekend. We are so dry my car went from white to brown from all the blowing dirt. We havent had any significant rain since TS Fay.
Celia- How is Darrell doing?
Sidney You got it! I bought a coleus yesterday on the clearance rack for $3. Ill post a picture later for ID as its still DysonDark!
Marsue - Beautiful sunrise!
Adina Beautiful sunrise too!
Stephanie The Texas hummingbird sage is very pretty.
Kiska Cute picture! Where did you grow up?
Marsue I love that fan flower.

What happened to TamaraFaye?

Sidney - I forgot I took a picture of it yesterday.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2008
10:11 AM

Post #5638386

Oops - forgot the weather

73.8 F / 23.2 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 70 F / 21 C
Wind Gust: 5.6 mph / 9 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 72 F / 22 C
Clouds: Few 2000 ft / 609 m
Mostly Cloudy 10000 ft / 3048 m

Today
Mostly cloudy with showers likely and isolated thunderstorms. High 81. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70%.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2008
10:19 AM

Post #5638397

Good morning!

It's back to wet and windy here, the snow's all gone and it's 45F currently at 10 am. It was very dusky this morning when I woke up, only a few days until I will be getting up in Dyson Dark again ...:-( Can't say I've missed that.

Great photos everyone :-)

Beautiful sunrises Adina and Marsue :-)

Sharon - thanks :-) Hope your cold clears up soon. How's Gary doing? Very pretty coleus.

Kiska - I love that photo of you and your brother a few years back ;-) Very cute.

Hope you all have a good day!

Rann

My 10 year old birthday girl :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2008
11:47 AM

Post #5638527

Good RAINY morning!! What a great way to start a Monday!!!!!! We've had a little more than 1/4" of rain since sometime while I was sleeping. This is caused by a cool front moving through. I really hope we get cooler temps.

Currently 65 with light showers. Should get up to 82 this afternoon. My plants are saying "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! Slurp!"

Here's a picture of my Pigeonberry I took a couple of weeks ago.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2008
1:13 PM

Post #5638749

Good morning! Happy (late) birthday, Selma Run!!

Your Pigeonberry is beautiful, Stephanie!

I'm sorry about your cold, Sharon. :-(

Yayyy for your Dodgers, Kelli! :-)

There's a 20% chance of rain today. I'm running the sprinklers now, so hopefully we'll get some. LOL Stephanie's cool front is going northeast, so unfortunately we're not likely to get any of it. Our high will be around 88 - still better than the upper 90s we're used to, so we're not complaining much. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CDT (52 min ago)
Temperature 73 F 23 C
Dew Point 70 F 21 C
Humidity 90%
Pressure 29.92 in 1013.2 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir SE 130
Visibility 5 mi 8.0 km
Heat Index 77 F 25 C
Current Conditions Mist
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 71.1F / 21.7C
6 hour max temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 73.0F / 22.8C
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2008
2:42 PM

Post #5639059

I noticed my lipstick salvia doing it's thing. It had been planted for months. So far no good picture.
Sharon, Anytime you need coleus come by my house. Here is a great site for IDing coleus.
http://www.coleusfinder.org/pictures.php
I have the same coleus, but don't know the name off the top of my head.
Kiska what a darling picture. I know your puppy was enjoying the ride too. I'd like a good sized tricycle myself right now. Not as big as Seed's DH's.
Stephanie I'm sure we have a dozen Pigeonberrys listed here. Do you know what cultivar that is?
These I have are native to Florida, but I'm sure they will grow in Ft Worth. These are Duranta http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=Duranta&Search=Search+PlantFiles
Maybe we could swap seeds.
Marsue I want all your secrets on that thriving Fan flower. I might water mine too much.
Rann, what a doll and now I'm hungry.
Ric I now remember Joycet and I swapped plants.
Did she have a great coleus garden?
Sharon's weather covers me too.
Have a great day.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 6, 2008

Post #5639530

27 ~ ice-encrusted everything; the snow/rain from yesterday is now ice.
Mostly cloudy with scattered snow showers...snow mixed at times with rain this afternoon. Areas of fog in the morning.
Highs in the mid to upper 30s. Light winds.
Rann~What a darling/and growing up daughter. Hildur Eva is beautiful; love the table/food, too. (Thanks, too, for thoughts).
MySharona~going through old photos, (not that old:))), this was a favorite. I grew up in Northern California, Redding area.
Stephanie~weather sounds good; the plant is very pretty, too.
Sugarweed~yep,the puppy was "loved" and ready or not, played with us. I love the color/blossom.
Yesterday was "eventful". We had a going away party for my daughter/family;
in addition, her oldest son, 18, had emergency appendectomy the night before.
He's doing well, the new technique/laproscopic surgery, certainly simplified recovery/etc. Susan missed half the party as she was at the hospital.
Sunset last week.

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #5639566

Rann Selma Run is a beautiful young lady! Happy Birthday! Yummy looking food/desserts youve got there!
Stephanie Congrats on the rain!
Sidney I was picking up some stakes for my Ficus Benjamina when I saw the coleus. I said very pretty. The guy that manages the department said hed give it to me for $3. It was the last one.
Kiska Glad to hear your GS is doing well after surgery. One of my co-workers just had an emergency appendectomy. Beautiful sunset.

Isn't he handsome? :)

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #5639606

Way too much behind. Great pics, everyone! Love them all.

55F with 66 for later today. Maybe more rain, maybe not. It's been raining since Saturday. The gardens are loving it! ☺
Feels like: 55F

Barometer: 30.2 in ↑
Humidity: 56%
Wind: 3 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:30 AM
Sunset: 7:00 PM

My friend from San Fran is coming into town on Thursday! Yea! She'll be here until Monday. The girl on the left is her.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 6, 2008
6:40 PM

Post #5639894

Marylyn, from your photos, it definitely looked like a "big wind" (understatement) blew through your neighborhood! It also appeared that you and your family made the best of a bad situation--staying cool in the pool, drawing on the sidewalk, playing with flashlights, etc. I'm so glad there was no major damage to your home. Your street certainly looked different after all the debris was picked up--very peaceful looking, which I am sure was a great contrast to when Ike blew through!
Celia: some people just never learn how to drive, do they? Glad everybody was watching out for that person because she certainly wasn't paying attention, it would seem! Have fun with your friend this week-end!
Rann: that was certainly a "spread" that you had for Selma's birthday? Can you call her a "pre-teen" now that she is 10?
Sharon: didn't you know that Floridians aren't supposed to get colds--the weather is supposed to be too nice down there!! Feel better soon! About your rose--it must be time to do some pruning. Some of mine are getting leggy, too, but I will probably wait until after the first frost to prune them. However, since you are not supposed to have frost in Florida, I don't know when you should prune yours. You may need to "google" that information. The cardinal is beautiful!
Mattsmom, kiska and Rann--please make sure you keep your snow/ice, etc., up north, please!
Sidney: I don't have any secrets on the fan flower--except that it is planted in a bed that was made with a lot of horse manure!! I don't know if it is an annual or a perennial but I hope it will come back in the spring and spread out under all of my roses. That was my original intent when I bought it. By the way, how is TF doing these days? We miss having her post over here on the weather thread.
Kiska; hope your DGS is doing well after the appendectomy. These new surgical procedures are amazing and they certainly cut down on the recovery time! Pretty sunset coming through those trees.

Currently 81 but it feels cooler than that to me--probably because of the low humidity. It has been overcast all day-supposed to get some rain after midnight tonight. We can use it.

Mexican Hydrangea

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 6, 2008
8:11 PM

Post #5640159

Just doing some free-time reading.
rann~looks as if I've got the wrong birthday girl~sorry about that; Selma is just beautiful, too.
kwanjin~bet you'll have a great time with your friend.
MySharona~ it's a very handsome bird~~thanks, he's been up a few times and will be ready for their trip to Ireland at the end of the month.
marsue~sure you don't want something like snow and ice? It's very cool:)
Although, with all the "ditch-divers" this morning, many unhappy drivers about now, as repairs are in their future.
Thanks, too.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 6, 2008
9:23 PM

Post #5640403

Rann, looks like a great birthday spread.

Celia, as Sidney stated, you are probably just as well off that the wisteria didn't survive. It would eat your trellis alive. It sounds like you need to add sulfur to your soil. I have alkaline soil and alkaline tap water, and when things start getting chlorotic, I give them iron sulfate or epsom salts (magnesium sulfate). I give the tomatoes gypsum (calcium sulfate) if they are getting blossom end rot. I have also given stuff just plain sulfur, but they seem to respond better to one of the sulfate minerals.

Hot again. Kiska, could you send some rain this way?

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on October 06, 2008
90 F / 32 C
Clear
Humidity: 17%
Dew Point: 39 F / 4 C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s Variable
Pressure: 29.92 in / 1013 hPa (Falling)
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Firehole Falls

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 6, 2008
9:25 PM

Post #5640406

I'll try not to be too redundant with the thermal features but this one is a little different. This is Grand Prismatic Spring. From the air it looks like something from another planet. http://astrosurf.com/luxorion/Documents/yellowstone-grand-prismatic-spring.jpg

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 6, 2008
9:27 PM

Post #5640413

This is Jewel Geyser. It's just a little one, but it erupts every 7 to 10 minutes, so we waited for it.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 6, 2008
9:29 PM

Post #5640416

This is Old Faithful when it isn't erupting.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 6, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #5640422

Here are folks waiting for Old Faithful to erupt. It is 80 to 100 minutes between eruptions and it has been like that for as long as people have been keeping track. Most geysers are not predictable at all and some change with time.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 6, 2008
9:33 PM

Post #5640427

Old Faithful erupting - It looks just like all of the pictures you've seen. It doesn't make nearly as much noise as I was expecting.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 6, 2008
9:34 PM

Post #5640434

rainbow near the ground

Thumbnail by Kelli

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #5640555

Kiska, quite a busy day, glad the fella is recovering.
I like surgeries that only require a band aid to cover.
These farewells are really just "see ya later"s.
Celia having good friends is the best company.
I also think I have some Sapphire blue sweet pea seeds here somewhere.
My 2 sky vines may also produce seeds...at least the one that's blooming. All are good trellis climbers.
Sharon, I recall that we are supposed to prune roses in January. I know that HGTVs Gardener's Diary had a show on good roses for Florida. You may be able to watch it online.
Dab of rain, 77º.
;)
Yellow Knock-out

Thumbnail by sugarweed

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 6, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #5640765

kelli~if not cooler/wetter weather sent your way, at least you've got those beautiful falls to dream about. Very pretty. I love the Grand Prismatic Spring; gorgeous.
Sugarweed ~ I love the comment about farwell being "see you later"; very true. Yes, bandaid surgery is wonderful. Yellow knock-out for sure.
40 and cloudy at 3pm.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #5641087

Kelli I love the geyser and Grand Prismatic Spring pictures.
If life were perfect I would have a cabin close to those falls.
Thanks,
Sidney
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #5641129

Spotty showers off and on all day and tonight. High of 76. Now in the mid 60s.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2008
1:00 AM

Post #5641230

Hi Gang!
Sorry to be away so long.
Busy Busy getting the yard ready for Fall, getting the FPR buttoned up so we can work on it when the weather turns.
We've had a RU and a wedding the last two weekends so we are a bit behind on the construction.
Plus we need to get the GH done and pick up some plants from a friend about 50 miles away...
We did though find time to get a new TV last week... a 50" plasma... so the Football this weekend was AWESOME! LOL!

Weather cool and dry...
Maybe some rain or a T-Storm Weds...
BBL
Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2008
1:04 AM

Post #5641251

Men and their plasmas. *shakes head* LOL
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2008
1:10 AM

Post #5641289

LOL!
Audio is actually my big Toy.
I've spent years getting this system just right.
Actually it's replacing an old 26" we've had for 12 years.
It was fading fast... but had a great picture for it's day.
The TV will get used far more for movies and DIY shows than sports.
(Football is about the only one I watch. Though Bull Riding even scared the Dog!)
PLUS I can put my camera card in it or hook it straight to the 'puter.
GIANT Monitor! LOL!

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #5641317

LOL. I love to watcdh bull riding! But I can see how it scared the dog.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2008
4:26 AM

Post #5642058

Oh, my! LOL Another day full of things to see and read! Just awesome, everyone.

We had another lovely I didn't get to enjoy. I did find this, this morning. I had given up on these blooming. I got one crappy pic but, as someone on the MG Forum said, it looks like I'm holding a cup of light.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2008
10:02 AM

Post #5642398

Celia Have fun this weekend with your friend! She looks very nice.
Marsue We get frost. Im as far North as one can get without being in Georgia. Will Google the roses. The Mexican Hydrangea is very pretty!
Kelli I really like the geysers pics, esp the first one.
Sidney Yikes, if I wait til January the rose bush will be 5 tall! Definitely Googling! Beautiful Yellow Knock Out!
Ric As DH would say TOYS! LOL!
Celia That is a lovely picture!

72.7 F / 22 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 67 F / 20 C
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa(Steady)
Heat Index: 73 F / 23 C
Visibility: 4.0 miles / 6.4 kilometers
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 10000 ft / 3048 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 81. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

We had a little rain yesterday morning, but not enough to make a difference, maybe 2/10". My heads is a little fuzzy around the edges and my face feels like an elephant is sitting on it. I've had better days and worse days... blah...

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2008
12:47 PM

Post #5642667

The official forecast says "mist." Ummm... no. It's pouring out, with occasional rolls of thunder. The garden and birds will be very grateful. I ran the sprinkler yesterday, and when I went out to turn it off, there were doves playing in the water! They were flying through the top of the sprinkler and landing in a tree... then another one would do it, then they'd land and chat for a while before doing it again. Too funny. There were some black birds (I'm not sure what kind... probably cow birds - we get a lot of those) on the sidewalk where the water was puddling after running down our path. I was sorry I scared them all away when I came out. :-) I wish I had gotten a photo of the doves!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:27am CDT (12 min ago)
Temperature 73 F 23 C
Dew Point 69 F 21 C
Humidity 88%
Pressure 30.00 in 1016 mb
Wind Speed 16 MPH 14 kts
Wind Dir NNW 340
Ceiling 6500 ft 1981 m
Visibility 6 mi 9.7 km
Heat Index 77 F 25 C
Current Conditions Mist
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 73.9F / 23.3C
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2008
1:06 PM

Post #5642708

Marylyn - "Our" birds like to play in the trees and rub themselves on the leafs when I run the sprinklers! They move from tree to tree when I move the sprinklers LOL!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2008
1:15 PM

Post #5642735

Kiska: thanks but no thanks on the snow and ice. LOL If there were "ditch divers" up in your area, you should come down south and see what happens when we have even 1" inch of snow--and don't even mention ice on the roads!!
Ric: my DH finally gave up his search for the ultimate "TOY" after he nearly killed himself in a race car 11 years ago. Of course, a plasma TV is a lot less dangerous to one's physical well-being than a race car! However, you could always suffer from "remote thumb"--the arthritis you get in your thumb from flipping through the channels!! LOL
Sidney: I didn't even know "they" made yellow knock-outs. So pretty!
Celia: that MG looks as if it is glowing on the inside!
Sharon: you are doing a good job at keeping the birds well fed! Hope you are feeling better today!

We finally got some rain in our neighborhood--it rained off and on all night and more is called for today. The plants and trees are saying "THANK YOU!"
High today supposed to be 75.

I found this in one of the pots on my back porch. It has been tentatively ID'd as "Euphorbia cyathophora" or, in plain English, some type of poinsettia. I have never seen one with the oak-leaf shape like this. I have no idea where it came from--perhaps planted by a bird?

edited to add: make a correction to that ID. It is: Euphorbia heterophylla L.
Mexican fireplant (aka "Summer Poinsettia)

This message was edited Oct 7, 2008 9:44 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #5643030

Hey everyone

It's stopped raining, the sun is out and currently it's 50F. Not too bad at all. A bit breezy but nothing compared to yesterday.

I'm sorry to say it, but we made the news and not in a good way ... http://edition.cnn.com/
Yesterday wasn't just bad weatherwise, the icelandic nation is facing a crisis unlike ever before I think is fair to say. We've been bombarded with unsettling news for the past week - possible food and gas shortage and national bankruptcy no less ... the press have been busy speculating while we've been waiting for some answers from the government. Quite a few people have stocked up on food in the past few days and although people are trying to stay calm I think everyone feels anxious as to what lies ahead. Yesterday and today we're finally getting some answers and they're not very uplifting although I don't think there's any need to go running to the grocery store and fill up the freezer ... yet anyways. It's all very unsettling and depressing in any case.

Kelli - wonderful photos of the geysers. It is pretty amazing that Old Faithful is still erupting on schedule. Our big geyser, Geysir, has been dormant for a very long time.

Kiska - hope your GS is feeling better.

Sharon - hope you'll be feeling better tomorrow. Cute photo of the cardinal.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments on Selma and the "spread" - yes I guess she's a pre-teen now ... how I wish they wouldn't grow up so fast. (sigh)

Hope everyone is having a better day than we are up here ...

Rann
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2008
2:45 PM

Post #5643075

Sorry to hear about the troubles over there in Iceland, Rann. As you may know, we are having our own troubles over here in the U.S. It would appear that things are somewhat shaky on a world-wide basis.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2008
3:53 PM

Post #5643341

Rann, if your girls are anything like my Crystal, they'll be giggling with you forever. She calls me almost eveyday just to get a smile. And your "spread" WAS wonderful! LOL Economic troubles are never easy to deal with. People aren't sure how to react. Hopefully things will settle down soon.

Mau, your poinsettia is beautiful. How long have you had it?

Sharon, tell that elephant I'm sure he's a very nice elephant but he needs to sit elsewhere. Your cardinals are so cute! I so wish we had them. Our birds are mostly drab colors. We get the occassional goldfinch, bluebird or other colorful bird but not very often.

52F with 73 for later today. More rain for the weekend, which will be just fine because my friend and I plan to spend ALL our time in front of the TV! LOL
Feels like: 52F

Barometer: 30.3 in ↓
Humidity: 63%
Wind: 10 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:31 AM
Sunset: 6:58 PM
UV Index: 5

Gaillardia.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #5643343

Rann, if your girls are anything like my Crystal, they'll be giggling with you forever. She calls me almost eveyday just to get a smile. And your "spread" WAS wonderful! LOL Economic troubles are never easy to deal with. People aren't sure how to react. Hopefully things will settle down soon.

Mau, your poinsettia is beautiful. How long have you had it?

Sharon, tell that elephant I'm sure he's a very nice elephant but he needs to sit elsewhere. Your cardinals are so cute! I so wish we had them. Our birds are mostly drab colors. We get the occassional goldfinch, bluebird or other colorful bird but not very often.

Kelli, you must have taken a thousand pictures! All of them worthy of a coffee table book!

52F with 73 for later today. More rain for the weekend, which will be just fine because my friend and I plan to spend ALL our time in front of the TV! LOL
Feels like: 52F

Barometer: 30.3 in ↓
Humidity: 63%
Wind: 10 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:31 AM
Sunset: 6:58 PM
UV Index: 5

Gaillardia.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2008

Post #5643535

Celia, I don't know how long I have had the poinsettia in the photo above. It just popped up in that pot and I didn't notice it until about 3 weeks ago. It is only about 8 inches tall. LOL
Your gaillardia is very pretty. Can you collect seeds from it or is it sterile like my Oranges & Lemons?

Now this poinsettia is one I bought at Lowe's last year before Christmas. It has been on my back porch all summer but it is about time to bring it inside. I hope it "blooms" this Christmas season!

currently it is 70 and overcast--very pleasant.

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2008
4:45 PM

Post #5643569

It makes seeds and, if I recall correctly, this was the time of year this particular color came out. I'm going to try spreading them around the bed this winter. Do yours have to be reseeded by you every year?
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 7, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #5643621

32 Sunrise 8:20am
Today
Cloudy. Isolated snow showers in the morning...then snow likely in the afternoon. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch.
Highs in the mid to upper 30s. Light winds.
marsue~the poinsettia is fantastic; never knew they'd get past Christmas and thrive.
kwanjin~the gaillardia is gorgeous. I used a previous photo of one for inspriation for a bowl. I seem to get a lot of inspriation from the photos/blossoms posted on DG.
rann~thanks, he's doing well and can go back to work Friday. So sorry to hear of the uncertainty there. It can be unnerving as things are changing and you feel helpless. Hopefully, it's going to settle out soon all will be better.
ric~sounds like a wonderful addition, especially now with football underway.
The results of the Gaillardia inspiration.

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2008
5:33 PM

Post #5643711

Gorgeous bowl, Kiska!! Is that one on your website? Glad the GS is better and able to go back to work. 32---brrrr!! Yep, poinsettias do make it past Christmas. Unfortunately, too many people don't realize they can keep them throughout the year. I have another poinsettia that I have had in a pot for years and it blooms for me, too.
Celia, this is the first year I have had the Oranges & Lemons Gaillardia but the info I have on it is that it is sterile and won't set seed. However, it is supposed to come back from the roots in the spring. I sure hope it does because I really, really like it--and so do the bees and butterflies!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 7, 2008
6:46 PM

Post #5643842

marsue~thanks, and yes, it's on my site.
How nice to have a poinsettia for years~very good information.
A few days ago I'd posted a photo of the bonfire and mentioned the giant "malvaviscos", (marshmallows).
My daughter had some left, so I took a pic to show the size difference. We got them in Las Barrilles, Mexico last spring. They are very dense and have a vanilla flavor.
Malvaviscos from Mexico, regular marshmallows, and tiny marshmallows.

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2008
10:29 PM

Post #5644466

Marsue I started popping Airborne yesterday. I swear by that stuff. I feel better tonight. Pretty poinsettia! Mine is huge again.
Rann I hate to hear about your economy. Ours is awful too. I think all this speculation isnt doing anyone any good.
Celia I think my Gaillardia makes seeds too. Ill have to check after one of the blooms dies.
Kiska Beautiful bowl! Now that is what I call a marshmallow! You only need 1!

77.0 F / 25.0 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 57%
Dew Point: 61 F / 16 C
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10.1 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 79 F / 26 C
Clouds: Few 3500 ft / 1066 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy with a 20% chance of showers. Low 68. East winds 10 to 15 mph.

My E. Hookeri has 12 little buds right now. I'm so excited - this will be the 3rd times it blooms this year :)

Here is my Gaillardia - slightly different from Celias

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #5644577

Close to darkness, it was a pleasant afternoon.

Night all.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 7, 2008
11:05 PM

Post #5644580

Overnight low was 28 deg here. Fist frost. Killing frost around here is 25 F. I did pick all the tomatoes yesterday and the dalily scapes with almost ripe seed pods and brought them inside.. Today was a lovely day with high above 60 deg. A good day to be living in Pa.

We actually had to cut the Grass yesterday. I still have daylilies to transplant. LOL
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #5644606

Sharon, my epi had a bud before the hurricane, but it's gone now. (sniff...) ^_^

Good night, Dyson!!

Brrr, se_eds... I'm sure not ready for 28! After the rain passed through this morning, it was hot and muggy - as usual. But tonight it's going to get down into the 50s and tomorrow will just be in the mid 80s. It sounds wonderful. :-)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #5644867

Spotty rain this morning- it missed me but hit my grandma's, grrrrr. Cloudy all day and chilly out.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 8, 2008
12:18 AM

Post #5644888

I wonder how much of financial panic is generated by the media. The media say that the economy is going bad so people start cutting back and this makes the economy worse, and so on and so on.

Hot again.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on October 07, 2008
97 F / 36 C
Clear
Humidity: 10%
Dew Point: 32 F / 0 C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 29.92 in / 1013 hPa (Falling)
(Above Ground Level)

Grand Geyser

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 8, 2008
12:19 AM

Post #5644895

Vent, Turban, and Grand Geysers all going off at the same time.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 8, 2008
12:21 AM

Post #5644899

fringed gentian

(I think I took something like 280 pictures.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 8, 2008
12:22 AM

Post #5644905

Old Faithful

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 8, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #5644910

Old Faithful Inn and Firehole River

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 8, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #5645048

Kelli WONDERFUL geyser shots.
I remember being less than impressed w/ the geysers but Loved the sulfur pools.
SO much color , if a bit stinky! LOL!
We lost our food box and cooler to bears when we were there in the mid 60's.
Cool if you're a kid though!

Rann I've been following Iceland's dilemma.
Dosen't look good there. No hopeless just not good.
World Banks are hustling to get some help there though.
GOOD LUCK!

Kiska that Bowl is Beautiful!

We should be into the rain by morning.
Then warm, for this time of year, and dry thru the weekend.

For the record I and Robyn aren't channel surfers.
(Well I do surf NFL Package but... lol!)
Mostly we watch prerecorded shows and wiz thru the commercials.
I do that w/ Football too...
start watching about 45 minutes into a game... you hit half time when they do...
Then work for an hour and start the 2nd half... I usually end the game w/in 5 minutes of real time.

We also watch a lot of Series programs on DVD...
4 half hour episodes take about an hour and 15 minutes...

Here's where we are so far on the FPR.
The north wall is completed except for the shingles.
East Wall is 1/2 framed... we're 'baying' the wall for extra storage space and plant shelf windows.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 8, 2008
1:10 AM

Post #5645079

Ric, I think the Yellowstone bears are less tame now. The park has done of lot of educating to keep people from feeding and attracting bears. We didn't see any at all, or even any sign of any and that was supposed to be the time of year when bears are fattening up for hibernation. I would have liked to have seen some grizzlies at a distance.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #5645110

A fresh marshmallow is so tasty.
I don't know if I ever tried a Mexican one all those years I lived in El Paso.
You did a great job with your Gaillardia inspiration bowl.
Celia very pretty cup of light and Gaillardia.
Sharon your bug could be pollen. Some yellow dust on my car makes me suspicious.
Rann at least the whole world is going thru about the same stress, not that I would wish it on anybody.
I decided to spring for a new TV too Ric, as I could get it interest free in 4 equal installments. I figured I'd get one before anything else happens.
God has been very good to me and I am thankful.
Cooler and darker.
Marsue I think you are supposed to put the Poinsettia in a dark closet for a few weeks, but don't really know.
;)
Purple Porterweed

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Jiny
Tokyo
Japan
(Zone 10a)

October 8, 2008
8:54 AM

Post #5646009

Just about 20c at night but had a great deal of rain and we just had another earthquake,
does that count as weather? Does here.Looking forward to the winter clear and dry
and perfect gardening weather. I've soooo much to do.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2008
10:07 AM

Post #5646052

Se_eds Sounds like you had a nice day. Im looking forward to cooler weather.
Marylyn Im sorry about your epi bud. I lost a couple of buds when I moved it in the garage during TS Fay.
Kelli Seems to me every time they speculate the numbers drop. Weve lost $$, seems like there isnt a safe place for retirement funds except maybe a mattress LOL! The geysers are awesome! I cant imagine ever getting used to seeing them blow.
Ric You are moving along with the FPR! Nice job! Feel free to come down when youre done..I have some honey do that Jeff thinks are honey dont want to dos! What would be a good zoom lens for my D40X?
Sidney I wish this was an allergy, but this is a cold. Its been going around up here, seems like everyone has it. I have year round allergies. I think they are easier to deal with.
Pajonica Welcome! I hope you and your family are ok. Another earthquake? I havent heard anything about it. It will probably be on the national news.

74.8 F / 23.8 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 64 F / 18 C
Wind Gust: 8.8 mph / 14 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 77 F / 25 C
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft / 3962 m

Today
Partly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 82. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90%.

Kiska - Don't look - sorry - I caught the baby tree frog in mid jump.

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2008
12:54 PM

Post #5646394

Good morning everyone :-)

Thanks everyone for your reassuring words. It's going to get bad before it gets better, but it will get better someday we must hope. What makes this worse for us is our currency is dropping like a rock which makes it pretty worthless and since we're very dependent on imported goods that's a big problem. Prices will be going through the roof. And the poor people who were foolish enough to take on foreign loans are in big trouble ...

The weather is pretty nice - light breeze, partly cloudy and 46F.

Sharon - cute frog. It took me a while to find it since it's the same color as the plant ;-) lol

Kelli - so true about the press. Sometimes I think they should just be quiet! lol They were close to causing a national panic here last week, shame on them ... Wonderful photos - thanks for sharing them :-)

Kiska - beautiful bowl :-) And those are some really huge marshmallows!

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Here's a photo from our trip. I'm so glad we had the chance to go before everything went bonkers - I can't even tell you. People are cancelling their vacations now because foreign currency is almost impossible to come by and it's horribly expensive. The kr. was around 145 to the dollar yesterday. It's never ever been so weak.

Happier days - I'm sure you recognise this one ;-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 8, 2008
1:24 PM

Post #5646521

Kiska: those are some really big marshmallows--they would be great for making s'mores!
Wow, Rann--it must have been awesome to see the Eiffel Tower "up close and personal"! So sorry about the problems with your Icelandic currency! I'm glad you and your family were able to make your trip before things started going "south", financially speaking.
Sharon: it took me a while to find the frog, too. He looks like the end of the leaf! LOL I hope the elephant got off your head!
Welcome, pajonica! Earthquake--yike!! Yes, I would definitely count it as weather, even if they are not caused by atmospheric conditions.
Sidney: lovely porterweed!
Ric: the FPR is coming along nicely--looking forward to photos of the finished product soon!
Kelli: more great photos! thanks for the tour!

Still overcast and cool here--currently 60. High today 75 Low tonight 49

--It's time for me to bring my potted plants indoors. I don't know where I am going to put them all.

Sharon--I'm afraid if I bring the Donkey Ears inside it will get so big that it might wrap its "tentacles" around us in the middle of the night! LOL
I counted more than 20 babies on its leaves yesterday. These are just a few of the babies. HELP!! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2008
3:01 PM

Post #5646875

Too much to comment on. Again. Gotta fly!

48F with 69 for later. It looks like it's going to be very cold this weekend.
Feels like: 47F

Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 39
Humidity: 71%
Wind: 3 mph ENE
Sunrise: 7:32 AM
Sunset: 6:56 PM

"WINTER-LIKE STORM TO HIT REGION THIS WEEKEND...
AN UNSEASONABLY COLD STORM SYSTEM IS TARGETED FOR UTAH THIS WEEKEND. ALTHOUGH THIS STORM SYSTEM WILL FILTER IN ACROSS THE REGION DURING THE NEXT FEW DAYS THE BRUNT OF THE SYSTEM WILL AFFECT THE STATE SATURDAY INTO SUNDAY. SNOW LEVELS ARE EXPECTED TO COME DOWN TO THE VALLEY FLOORS FOR ALL OF UTAH EXCEPT DIXIE AND LAKE POWELL REGIONS BY SATURDAY NIGHT. ALTHOUGH SNOW AMOUNTS IN GENERAL MAY NOT BE SIGNIFICANT... EVEN MINOR AMOUNTS COULD CAUSE HAVOC WHEN YOU CONSIDER THAT MOST TREES HAVE NOT LOST THEIR FOLIAGE. IN ADDITION... MAXIMUM TEMPERATURES ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY WILL BE ABOUT 25 DEGREES BELOW NORMAL."

Thumbnail by kwanjin

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2008
3:51 PM

Post #5647076

Well, fall has paid us a visit!! Last night the low was 49! Woohoo! Today it's cool with a high only in the low 80s. I'll take it!! It's a great day to be outside working in the garden!

Here's a pic from one of our trips to visit my DH's family in Tennessee.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2008
4:03 PM

Post #5647111

Stephanie, that photo is gorgeous! Tennessee is a beautiful state. :-)

Brrrrrrrrrr, Celia!!

I have the windows open again. Yayy!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 10:53am CDT (10 min ago)
Temperature 74 F 23 C
Dew Point 46 F 8 C
Humidity 36%
Pressure 30.12 in 1019.9 mb
Wind Speed 8 MPH 7 kts
Wind Dir N 360
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 76 F 24 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 54.0F / 12.2C
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2008
4:41 PM

Post #5647321

Rann Great picture! Im so glad you vacationed before this crisis hit.
Celia Time to get the winter gear out.
Stephanie Send that cool stuff this way! Beautiful picture.
Marylyn I want open windows.

79.3 F / 26.3 C
Overcast
Humidity: 70%
Dew Point: 69 F / 20 C
Wind: 4.8 mph / 7.7 km/h / 2.1 m/s from the WSW
Wind Gust: 9.7 mph / 15.6 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 82 F / 28 C
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1500 ft / 457 m
Scattered Clouds 5000 ft / 1524 m
Overcast 13000 ft / 3962 m

no rain yet...

Red Shouldered Hawk in the neighbors yard

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2008
4:47 PM

Post #5647351

Sunny and cool. A bit breezy it looks like.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2008
5:28 PM

Post #5647519

Seeds I think Autumn is a delicious time anywhere on the east coast. And gives those cool days for final bedding down for the cold ahead.
pajonica,
I noticed you are in the same Zone in Japan as I have here. How bad was the earthquake?
When do you have a killing frost?
Rann, the Eiffle Tower, how great you all got to see that.
So educational and fun.
Celia you don't have to comment as long as you have good pictures. LOL
Stephanie Tennessee mts are so pretty.
I'm lonesome for the Rockies. The mountains of my youth.
Sharon as you warn Kiska I squeal with glee. Frog Green a new favorite fashion color.
Cool, may rain this afternoon.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 8, 2008
6:10 PM

Post #5647638

10am~ 30F Hope to get up to 40 by day's end.
Freezing pellets lightly falling. Not quite rain, hail or snow; just pellets.
Welcome, pajonica~hope the quakes aren't serious~
MySharona~see, I just knew it would jump:)) you're so brave.
Sidney~Frog green as fashion~has a "interesting" ring to it:)
hello to all I've missed~enjoyed the read/photos.
rann~if nothing else, keep thinking positive thoughts at this time. Very scary time, though.

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 8, 2008
7:18 PM

Post #5647823

The earthquake in Japan was a magnitude 5, centered 20 miles ESE of Tokyo. I would imagine that DH felt that one. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2008xxaz.php
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 8, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #5647942

Celia; I hope the winter storm doesn't affect your friend's visit with you as far as her arriving and leaving is concerned.
Stephanie: gorgeous pic of the TN hills. Was it taken recently? Our trees haven't started turning yet.
Sharon: does that hawk ever try to get your cats or are they too big for it? How about the squirrels?
Sidney: gorgeous flower--what is it?
Kiska: is that a frozen bunny? LOL
Kelli: Has your DH been in touch with you about whether or not he felt that 'quake?

Our overcast skies have turned into beautiful blue skies with a few fluffy white clouds floating around. Current temp is 73. Gorgeous autumn weather! Much like what Marylyn and Pepper are both experiencing.

Sidney, I'll re-post a pic of a portion of the Colorado Rockies--just to keep you from getting homesick. on second thought--it might make you homesick! Sorry!

This message was edited Oct 8, 2008 3:00 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 8, 2008
8:52 PM

Post #5648079

DH calls me around 3:30PM my time, which is 7:30AM his time. (The time change is pretty strange. He's almost a whole day ahead of me here at the edge of the earth.) The earthquake happened at 3:07PM Wed. his time, which is 11:07PM Tues., my time. He would have been in a meeting then. By the time I would have gotten up and been downstairs this morning, he would have been asleep.

Hey, guess what? It's hot again.

Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on October 08, 2008
96 F / 36 C
Clear
Humidity: 11%
Dew Point: 34 F / 1 C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s Variable
Pressure: 29.84 in / 1010 hPa (Falling)
UV: 7 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

spotted knapweed

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 8, 2008
8:53 PM

Post #5648081

sulfur buckwheat

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 8, 2008
8:54 PM

Post #5648083

Madison River

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 8, 2008
8:55 PM

Post #5648090

And the last of the Yellowstone pictures - the Madison River again.

Thumbnail by Kelli

petralittledog
Salina, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 8, 2008

Post #5648445

Kelli I am impressed at all the plants you can put a name to.

The donkey ears is another plant I have never seen nor heard of. Very interesting the way the new ones grow on the leaves.

Un til there was a hint could not find the frog. They are neat.

Beautiful day here today, have the window open & enjoying the air while working on paperwork, which is not interesting. Attempting to keep ahead on my Mothers affairs, but have decided that is just a dream.

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2008
10:39 PM

Post #5648565

Rain, glad to have it, though I hate to drive through it. If water ever becomes as much of a commodity as fuel has, we will all be in a hard boat to row.

If you look at the prices of bottled water, some of the distributors have already decided that the two items need to be priced in the same category.

Heck, spell check only caught one miss-spelled word in this post, I may need to buy a lottery ticket!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2008
10:50 PM

Post #5648598

Sidney Glad you like the frog. I have another picture, but will give Kiska a break! Pretty Azalea!
Kiska LOL! Cute bunny!
Kelli Did your DH feel the earthquake? Great pictures!
Marsue The cats and Prissy are too big. I run the hawk off every time I see him/her, not too often. They usually hang out a couple of blocks South of us. Beautiful picture!
Dyson We bought a filter system and hooked it up under the sink in the kitchen for our drinking water. Its a lot cheaper in the long run. Did you get a lottery ticket?

72.9 F / 22.7 C
Overcast
Humidity: 87%
Wind: 4.8 mph / 7.7 km/h / 2.1 m/s from the SE
Wind Gust: 11.0 mph / 17.7 km/h
Pressure: 29.95 in / 1014.1 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 71 F / 22 C
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1600 ft / 487 m
Mostly Cloudy 4200 ft / 1280 m
Overcast 6000 ft / 1828 m

Now
Through 745 PM...scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms continue to develop across northeast Florida. The showers are moving north to northeast at 10 to 15 mph. The heaviest activity will move into areas near Juniper Springs...Salt Springs...Palatka...Penney Farms and Green Cove Springs. Expect brief gusty winds...heavy downpours of rain and dangerous cloud to ground lightning with thunderstorm activity.

Rest of Tonight
Showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the evening. Chance of showers and thunderstorms after midnight. Areas of fog after midnight. Low 70. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%

Yay - Rain!!! So far we are just shy of 1".

Streeeeeetch - look at that belly!

Thumbnail by MySharona

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 9, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5648993

31 4:30pm and gray out. No way it's going to get up to 40 today.
kelli~hope all's well w/DH over there. The last pic is gorgeous. It's been great to see the photos and the narrations, too.
marsue~frozen bunnies need to be brought in for the winter. They tend to break if left outside, guess how I know:)
MySharona~now, that's the most relaxing stretch ever. Very cute.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 9, 2008
12:54 AM

Post #5649033

DH said that he just barely felt the earthquake. He doesn't know if anyone else felt it. No one said anything.

The Yellowstone pictures are done but I've still got a few from the drive home. This is a katydid, or as DH calls it, a big green leaf creature. This was on the car in Provo, UT.

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 9, 2008
12:57 AM

Post #5649041

Currently: 66 Dewpoint: 63 Wind: SW 6 MPH
Humidity: 90% Pressure: 29.91 in Hg

It started raining here about 3 AM and just stopped about 6 this evening.
Steady rain mostly w/ periods of drizzle.
In short a good soaking rain which we dearly needed.
Now we'll get sunny, clear and dry and near 80 thru Tuesday at least... night temps 50-55

Rann,
I couldn't grasp how a loan of only about 10 billion dollars US would turn your economy around.
Then I started looking a little closer.
I never realized Iceland was so sparsely populated.
The population here in the city limits is 332,252... slightly larger than the population there in Iceland.
That's a lot of money per capita/
It sounds like the talks w/ Russia are going well... I'd say you guys will be OK.

Ric

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 9, 2008
2:58 AM

Post #5649530

Another gorgeous cleanup day in Pa. Day temps in the mid -60's. We pulled out all the tomatoes and tomato stakes. Soon have to trim and debride the daylilies.

Life right now is invigorating and Good!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2008
9:55 AM

Post #5650060

Kelli I havent seen a Katydid in a long time. They are interesting looking.
Ric I enjoy a nice long drizzle. Everything gets a good soaking that way.
Se_eds Were still too warm, should be in the low 60s in the morning and 70s during the day. Even now we're in the upper 60's but the humidity makes it feel warm and muggy outside. I have a feeling its going to be a warm holiday season for us. I really enjoy cooler weather.

67.8 F / 19.9 C
Mostly Cloudy
Dew Point: 64 F / 18 C
Clouds: Few 6000 ft / 1828 m
Scattered Clouds 13000 ft / 3962 m

Today
Mostly cloudy. Patchy fog in the morning. Chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. High 82. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Kiska - Last one for now :)

Here you go Sidney :)

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2008
12:08 PM

Post #5650281

Good morning :-)

It's back to wind and rain although there's a slight break in the clouds at the moment and a few rays of sun have made it through. I saw a very pretty rainbow earlier.

Ric - yes there's only 300.000 of us - we're a rare breed ;-) lol We're a bit like the little train that thought it could, but couldn't as it turns out ... I guess our ambitions are bigger than our small population - we want to be just as good (or even better) than the "big" nations ... which is pretty much everyone else ;-) lol And we hate how we often are patronized by the bigger nations who most of the time don't really believe that we can play in the same sandbox as them ... really makes us mad. All this mess is caused by the three big banks (and yes there are only three) deciding to go on a viking mission to conquer the world so to speak. They've grown way bigger than the icelandic economy so there's no way the icelandic government can take over all their foreign debts. What they're scrambling to do now is just to save the domestic branches to keep things afloat here. We woke up to the news this morning that the 3rd bank (which was thought to be strong enough to make it through this ordeal on it's own) was taken over by the government last night. That means that there are no privately owned banks left, they've all been taken over. There are only a few small savings banks left that are privately owned. There were also news that grocers couldn't get foreign currency to pay for imported goods yesterday - if that doesn't get cleared up in a hurry we are facing a food shortage in the next week or two. That means we'll just have to start eating meat and milk products and "homegrown" vegetables - everything else is imported ... But at least we don't have to buy water - there's plenty of that for free here ... there's always a bright side ;-) lol We'll be fine in the end, it's just going to be a very painful transition.

Sharon - very cute tree frog and Silvester certainly looks well fed! lol

Marsue - beautiful photo of the mountains :-)

Kiska - thanks :-) We're trying our best to stay positive and optimistic. As a nation we're generally very optimistic (almost carelessly optimistic) but our "motto" of "things will work out" is sounding a bit weak at the moment. Very cute snow bunny.

My subscription to Dave's expires this month and I'm not sure I'll be able to renew it while things are this tight. With the drop in our currency it has doubled from last year and I've also heard that people haven't been able to use their visa and master cards abroad ... I certainly hope things will improve in the next two weeks but if they don't I'll have to take a break from Daves for a while.

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

There were two things the girls wanted to see in Paris. The Eiffel tower and the Notre Dame Cathedral. Unfortunately it was closed because the Pope was visiting, which explains all the trucks outside ... We only spent an afternoon in the city and Selma came to the conclusion that Paris was much too big for her taste ... I kind of agree with her. The entire icelandic population would fit in a small suburb there ... ;-) lol

Thumbnail by rannveig

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2008
12:45 PM

Post #5650372

Good Morning! :D We have a temp of 60 & it's rather foggy out. We had almost 1/2" of rain yesterday. We were bone dry here. I still haven't gotten out to take any fall pics, yet, but maybe today. :)
At Dublin...
Cloudy: 61F
Feels like: 61F
Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 61
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 1 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:26 AM
Sunset: 6:53 PM

I am hopelessly behind, but have looked at every one's pic's! and they are Great!

Sharon! Happy Birthday!!!! Hope that you have a great day! Love the baby frog! JW loves frogs ;) He has 3 that he plays w/ in the tub. How is Gary? My E. hookeri is really sprouting some roots! :D
Kelli! What a great set of pics you have shared w/ us. I really love Firehole Falls! Thank you so much!
Se_eds, glad that you are enjoying this weather...me too :)
Ric, Your progress is really looking Good! You're such a 'handy' fella! :D
Kiska! Now those are some Monster marshmallows! :-O Gee! The S'mores you could make w/ those! :D And Love your new dish! Beautiful!
Stephanie, Great color from Tenn! :D
Marsue! Look at all of those baby Donkey Ears! Oh, my! :D
Rann, Give the birthday girl a hug from me! Sorry I missed it! But I hope that her day was a great one! :D And LOVE les Tour Eiffel! :D
Sidney, What a gorgeous Porterweed! Wow!
Celia, Hope that your early winter isn't too bad. I can't wait to take JW out in some snow! ;)

A little trivia for ya...
A form of the degree-day used as a guide for crop planting and for estimating crop maturity dates is called what?
a) Growing degree-day
b) Heating degree-day
c) Cooling degree-day
d) Planting degree-day

Have a Great Day! :D
Joey

(high steppin')

Thumbnail by music2keep

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2008
12:54 PM

Post #5650400

Happy Birthday Sharon ! :-) Sorry I missed it earlier. Hope you have a wonderful day.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2008
1:04 PM

Post #5650423

^_^ ^_^ Happy Birthday, Sharon!!! ^_^ ^_^ I hope you have a wonderfully fun day. :-)

Rann, I'm sorry to hear about your country's financial crisis. :-( We will really miss you if you have to take some time away from DG, but we will definitely understand.

Thank you for the JW fix, Joey! Is he dancing in that last one? I have no idea on the trivia... I'm going to guess C, so everyone else should probably guess something else - I'm probably wrong. LOL

It's going to be a beautiful day today! The high will be in the mid 80s. Yayy!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (10 min ago)
Temperature 55 F 13 C
Dew Point 51 F 11 C
Humidity 86%
Pressure 30.05 in 1017.6 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 52.0F / 11.1C
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #5650652

Thank you for the Birthday Wishes! Its been great so far!

Rann Your economic crisis is the same here. I hate to hear how badly it is affecting you. I pray things get better for you soon. Great picture of Notre Dame. Its been longer than Id like to admit since Ive seen it in person. Paris is too big for me as well.
Joey Looking forward to your Fall pics. Gary is doing well. He had the kidney stent removed yesterday. Chemo begins again soon. Glad to hear E. Hookeri is doing well. Im going with A on the trivia.

I better get back to work! I really don't want to be here today :)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 9, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #5650680

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SHARON! May your day be as special as you are and may you have many more Happy Birthdays in the years to come! Glad to hear that Gary is doing better.
se_eds: I rejoice with you that life is invigorating and good! :o))
Kelli: I don't know that I have ever seen a Katydid "in person" but I certainly have heard lots of them!
Rann: Have you grown any veggies in your garden this year?--Sure hope you have enough "laid-by" (an old Southern term) to carry you through this crisis! Just seeing Notre Dame from the outside would be awesome!
Joey: I'm going with "D" on the trivia--strictly a guess. JW is certainly going to give you lots of exercise keeping up with him in the next few months! LOL

It's going to be another beautiful day in our neighborhood, too, Marylyn. Our high is forecast to be in the high 70's with low humidity and lots of sunshine. DH and I are off to the Mid-South Gardening Round-up in Mississippi in the morning. We'll be back Saturday night. Looking forward to lots of fellowship, fun and food--and oh, yes--plants! LOL You all have a good week-end!

Thumbnail by marsue

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2008
2:38 PM

Post #5650740

Well, I'm speechless ... dumbfounded actually. When I checked in again there was a D-mail for me saying that my subscription had been renewed until next year! Brought tears to my eyes to be perfectly honest. Now I feel a bit guilty complaining ... I certainly wasn't expecting someone to pay it for me. Whoever did this: I'm so grateful and touched there are no words that could express it. Thank you. :-)

Rann

The hotel we stayed in at the Disneyland Paris Resort - Vienna International Dream Castle.

Thumbnail by rannveig

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #5651200

Rann. looks like you have a secret Angel here at Dave's! Good on whomever did that for her!

Happy Birthday, Sharon!!! Happy Birthday to you!

Wonderful pics, all.

Thanks, Sidney. If I can't make a comment, I'll be sure and pull out the best pics! LOL

The weather will definitely not affect my friends visit. They're saying it will just be a dusting of snow, if it sticks at all.

49F with 60 for later today. Not so bad. Kristi will be here tonight! Yea!
Feels like: 47F

Barometer: 29.7 in ↓
Dewpoint: 42
Humidity: 77%
Wind: 5 mph WNW
Sunrise: 7:33 AM
Sunset: 6:55 PM
UV Index: 5 Low

Marigold of some kind. I had it IDed but I can't find my notes today.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 9, 2008
3:55 PM

Post #5651207

Happy Birthday Sharon!!

Very nice once again outside. Sunny but cool at 66* with a slight breeze outside.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2008
4:00 PM

Post #5651228

Rann, I know you and your girls had a wonderful time in the world of Disney. Great pics. Thanks for sharing them.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2008
4:33 PM

Post #5651331

Rann That was a wonderful thing for someone to do! If you hadnt said anything then we wouldnt have known what happened to you. DG is full of good people. And DG wouldnt be the same without you. Youre blessed :) Beautiful resort!
Celia Pretty marigold! Have fun with Kristi!

Thank you for the birthday wishes! I'm having a great day :)

79.5 F / 26.4 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 70%
Wind Gust: 6.9 mph / 11.1 km/h
Pressure: 29.95 in / 1014.1 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 82 F / 28 C
Clouds: Few 2400 ft / 731 m
Mostly Cloudy 10000 ft / 3048 m
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m

Severe Thunderstorm Watch number 914 in effect until 6 PM...

Remainder of Today
Increasing cloudiness with a 70% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some thunderstorms may be severe with strong winds and large hail. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Somebody has been sleeping in my chair LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 9, 2008

Post #5651351

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SHARON ! Have a wonderful day and many more to come !
Love all your pics, but I am so behind and I'll have to catch up ith you all. I'll just say the pics are great!
Rann, I'm sorry about what's going on with the banks in your country, I've been thinking of you since I heard about it. The pics in Paris are great, good you had a great time and saw Paris, everyone's dream! I'm sure things will get fixed and your banks will be on their feet again...praying for the poor people who are suffering so hard ! Congratulations and a big thanks for whomever paid for your new subscription, has a great heart!
This is for you Sharon!
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 9, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #5651355

Sharon HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Rann you didn't ask for help or suggest you needed it,
just stated a fact.
The Angels here have big ears...lol!...and big hearts!
I agree w/ kwanj... Good on You Angel!

Foggy here this morning!
Going to 85 by 4 PM!
HOT for Oct!

Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 9, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #5651359

Hey, birthday girl! Are you planning a party tonight? Any cake?
Buck is a very good boy!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #5651395

You guys are so awesome :-) I was dreading having to spend time away from you all - I'd have missed you terribly, that's for sure :-)

Rann

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #5651418

For Rann...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2008
5:05 PM

Post #5651445

Happy Birthday Sharon
If you're still sick may you have a day of super soft tissues and a clear head.
Celia that Hibiscus and the darker one I posted on Oct.6 are both from a hanging basket I purchased in 05.
I harvested at least 6 out of it.
This year I got another, and will get it planted today. So far I have seen it bloom a pretty yellow one, but not fluffy like my pinks.
There are "hardy" Hibiscus that will survive in the cold part of NC, so maybe you could find some next spring.
Joey JW looks like he's gonna be a dancer. Such a doll.
Marsue I put that picture on my desktop. I so long for the smell of Red River or Taos New Mexico.
I don't know if I could breathe at those high altitude anymore.
Rann, I've been blessed before too and it's wonderful to know we all help each other.
As a general rule gardeners are the most generous folks I've ever met.
Sharon,
if you have a feisty new batch of those little frogs I sure would like a dozen or so.
I'd drive to get them too.
82.6 F / 28 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 60 F / 15 C
Wind: 2.7 mph / 4 km/hfrom the SSW
Wind Gust: 8.7 mph / 14 km/h
Pressure: 29.83 in / 1010.0 hPa (Falling)
;)
Adina great to see you, Ric and Pepper
Lemon Sensation

Thumbnail by sugarweed

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 9, 2008
10:43 PM

Post #5652579

Hooray! Rann will be able to stay with us and many thanks to her "angel"! DGers "rock"!
Sharon, glad you are having a good birthday! Ahhh, the life of a cat! We should all be so lucky--LOL
Celia--love the marigold--when you find the name of it will you let me know? I may have to try growing that one next season. and again--have a great visit with Kristi!
Adina: lovely purple flower--what is it? Buck is adorable--give him a pat for me, please.
Sidney, so glad you are enjoying the pic of the Rockies. That was taken at a place called Sapphire Point above Silverthorne, CO. Lemon Sensation is beautiful!

For Sharon (Happy Birthday) and for Rann (because we are glad you will be able to stay here on DG) and for whoever was Rann's 'angel':
Angel Face (lavender) and Gypsy (red orange) with Samantha Lantana in the middle
edited for spelling

This message was edited Oct 9, 2008 5:45 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2008
10:57 PM

Post #5652629

Marsue,
That red orange looks like my Knockout Coco.
Sidney
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 9, 2008
11:30 PM

Post #5652725

I didn't know Knockouts came in that color, Sidney. I just love the Gypsy and it is my DH's favorite.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 10, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #5652943

39F
Rain likely...possibly mixed with snow this evening. No snow accumulation. Lows in the 30s.
East wind 10 to 25 mph:
with local gusts to 55 mph.
Happy Birthday, Sharon~have a wonderful year and certainly hope to see you here next summer:)
Hello all~soooo much to do~will get back later.
Loved seeing the pics, and even looked at Sharon's:)
Kiska
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2008
12:39 AM

Post #5653018

Clear and 59F this evening with a beautiful autumn weekend ahead. The extended forecast looks pretty good as well. I have vacation scheduled for the next 2-3 weeks so the good weather comes at a good time. We had a light frost here a few nights ago but no hard freeze yet.

Joey...the "Little Lunker" isn't so little anymore.

Sharona...Happy Birthday!!!

Rann...great vacation photos! Looks like everyone's economy is going in the toilet.

I recently bought a mountain bike so I could ride trails with my sons. We went to Cooks Forest State Park last weekend and rode the bike trail. We made a wrong turn and ended up biking through some really rough country. I was really happy to see the trail head.

Photo: Amish hay wagon photo from a recent bike ride.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2008
12:41 AM

Post #5653026

A family tubes the Clarion River through Cooks Forest State Park last Sunday aftenoon.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Oct 9, 2008 8:43 PM

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5653029

And finally, my cat (Big Kitty) soaking up some late evening sunshine. If there is an open window, that's where you'll usually find the cat.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Oct 9, 2008 8:44 PM

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 10, 2008
12:57 AM

Post #5653098

Wow, Early Bloomer, what a perfect time for you to be on vacation. I know we will see some of your fabulous photos of your section of Pennsylvania.

Rahn, I have been watching the Wall Street news, and made some adjustments to my retirement accounts earlier this year. However, I fear what would happen if the American FIDC would be called on to cover all of the savings account in America. I think we are all in a save and retain mode right now, all around the world.. But I am a gardener. I can grow food. And can live frugally. Things will pick up in time. This country have seen like challenges before and come out OK

Weather here is a perfect Indian Summer type - highs in the high 70's, sunshine and clouds and light breezes. It is beautiful out there.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2008
2:24 AM

Post #5653447

Another beautiful day! My friend landed safely and is sitting in the other room watching CSI. Gotta go! We're headed to dinner after.

Mau, that marigold is a Pot Marigold. Calendula officinalis. It came in a wildflower mix. Here's the whole plant. It has come back three years now.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2008
10:01 AM

Post #5654222

Thank you again everyone I had a wonderful day! DH took me to dinner with some friends. We had cake, but of it is gone and I didnt get a picture of it, was very good though LOL!
Adina The daisies are beautiful, love the color. Buck is handsome and poses so well.
Celia Beautiful rose!
Joey I missed the picture of JW and had to go back. What a cutie! Looks like hes doing the twist LOL!
Sidney Ive only seen 3 baby tree frogs, but if I find a nest(?) Ill let you know. Lemon Sensation is very pretty! Do I need to pick off the flowers on the coleus to make it fill out?
Marsue- Beautiful roses and I love the names they have :)
Kiska You are getting brave! We hope to be there next Summer.
E_B Nice time for a vacation! Your pictures are great! The water looks inviting. Looking forward to more pictures. Big Kitty is handsome! I like how the light is filtered through his fur, nice silhouette.
Celia - Glad she made it you you safely. Have fun :)

70.5 F / 21 C
Overcast
Dew Point: 66 F / 19 C
Clouds: Overcast 500 ft / 152 m

Today
Partly cloudy with slight chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms. High 83. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 20%.

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2008
11:20 AM

Post #5654339

Good morning!

It's partly cloudy, light breeze and 48F.

Thanks again everyone for your support.

Marsue - I forgot to answer your question earlier. No, I didn't get any crop of vegetables this year. But there are locally grown vegetables available, at least this time of year. And the greenhouse grown ones are available all year. I keep thinking I should go and stock up on things, but I can't figure out what to stock up on ... My brain is mush most of the time (the fibromyalgia does that to you ;-)) so I have trouble planning further than one day ahead ... When I go shopping I always have a horrible time remembering which things to put on the list and when I get home I always realise I forgot a number of things. Thanks for the roses, so pretty. Love the variegated leaves of the lantana too - very cool :-)

Sharon - sounds like you had a wonderful day yesteday :-) Cute frogs - I didn't notice the one on the window at first ;-) lol

Joey - JW is getting so big :-) What a cute photo!

Hope you all have a good day.

Rann

Relaxing in Spain :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 10, 2008
11:32 AM

Post #5654358

Good morning, everyone!
EB: great photos--they belong on a calendar!
Enjoy the vacation!
Celia: calendula officinalis is a winner for sure!
Se_eds: Autumn is a wonderful time of the year with its beautiful weather, the leaves turning color, etc., etc. Thanks for reminding us. :o))
Sharon: that's one happy frog! LOL I didn't notice the one on the window until Rann mentioned it--good shot! Glad you had a good birthday.
Rann: I didn't realize that you had fibromyalgia. I have a good friend who has had it for several years. :o(( Relaxing in Spain looks--well, very relaxing!!

DH and I are off to the Mid-South Round-Up in Boone, MS this morning. A good time should be had by all and the weather is supposed to be great, too!
You all have a good week-end!

Hot Lips Salvia in the morning sunlight yesterday

Thumbnail by marsue

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2008
11:49 AM

Post #5654386

marsue - have fun at the round up :-) It's over 10 years since I was diagnosed, I'd been battling it for a number of years before that. I had to quit my job 8 years ago because of it - but it has given me a chance to spend much more time with my girls and for that I am thankful :-)

EB - sorry, my memory really is "mush" lol GREAT photos :-)

Everyone else I'm forgetting - I enjoy all your posts and photos ;-) lol

Rann

Sunset over a Spanish salt lake.

Thumbnail by rannveig

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2008
2:45 PM

Post #5654962

Sharon, that frog photo is GREAT! LOL

E_B, as usual, your photos are just gorgeous. :-)

Rann, my aunt has fibro and I know from her how awful it is. I'm sorry. :-( Next time you go to Spain, I want to come, too! I'm also grateful to your angel, whoever it was. :-)

Have a great time at the RU, Marilyn!

Hi, Celia's friend! ^_^

We have company coming today, and as usual our house is not in company-coming condition, so I need to get busy on it. :-P

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:53am CDT (50 min ago)
Temperature 69 F 21 C
Dew Point 63 F 17 C
Humidity 81%
Pressure 30.01 in 1016.3 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Visibility 7 mi 11.3 km
Current Conditions Clear
Remarks Lightning detector not working. (I don't think we'll be needing it for a while, anyway. LOL)
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 57.9F / 14.4C

Today Mostly sunny in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 80s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy early in the evening then becoming mostly clear. Lows in the mid 60s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 10, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #5654999

43 Dark with a "howling" windstorm to listen to. 6:30am.
Last evening, just before the wind came, I stepped outdoors and heard what sounded like a train behind Lazy Mt and realized it was the wind coming ~ and it did shortly after that.
rann~so much to be worried about; it's easy for me to say, "don't worry", but that isn't much help. Just know that, if nothing else, there are many here that have you in our thoughts and prayers. Your trip photos are wonderful and something good to reflect on.
E_B~beautiful place to be; bet the better trail/road did look good to you. Love your "Big Kitty".
marsue~have a wonderful day; sounds good. Salvia looks so nice ~
MySharona~from small to large frogs there;)
kwanjin~have a wonderful day with your friend; the marigolds are so pretty.
Taken several years ago/Sept.

Thumbnail by kiska

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #5655081

Somewhat running through as I got lots to cook today.
Chili Cook Off tomorrow. Off to fresh market praying for some really good Anaheim Chillies.
Sharon remove flowers to keep alive and pinch growing tips to encourage bushiness.
;)
Purple porterweed and thorny varigated duranta.
The varigated is getting moved out. It's flowers are so pale blue and tiny it doesn't pay it's way.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2008
3:14 PM

Post #5655091

Rann, so sorry to hear of your condition. I don't know anyone who has it but I do know it's very painful. The pool looks relaxing, Ah, Spain...

Mau, have fun at the RU!!! LOL

Marylyn, I'll tell Kristi you said HI...LOL

36F with 48 for the hgih.
Feels like: 32F

Barometer: 29.8 in ↑
Dewpoint: 25
Humidity: 64%
Wind: 5 mph N
Sunrise: 7:34 AM
Sunset: 6:53 PM
UV Index: 4 Low

Millet.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 10, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5655212

Same forcast. Nothing's changed. LOL

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 10, 2008
7:03 PM

Post #5655866

Mau, the purple flowers are asters, have bloomed in my garden! Lots of pats for Buck from you and puppy kisses from him for you! LOL Have a wonderful time at the RU!
Sharon, cute frogs!
Rann, I'm sorry to hear about your illness...is it curable? I'm thinking...I also forget things and don't remember what I have to buy...how did you realise you have this fybromalgia? Great pics from Spain! How many countries have you visited?
Sidney, thanks for the tips on Coleus, I needed it too! Nice purpleweed!
Kiska, nice view! Take care with that storm!
Marylyn, the bunnies did all the mess ?LOL
Celia, I also have Calendula in seeds, will have to sow it in spring. I had it in the other garden and it has been blooming all winter, can you believe it?
E_B, great pics, as usual! Have you posted your pics for the contest yet? Congratulations for the grandson, he is beautiful!
It's warm and sunny during the day, about 68 and 50 at night. I'm so busy with all the pups and the house isn't yet cleaned, still have the terraces. The mums are blooming.
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2008
7:52 PM

Post #5656033

We were getting rather long on this old thread, so here's a new one. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/911612/
Please come by with your pictures and comments.
Sidney

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America