Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Gingers: New gingers ... should I plant or not?

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 6, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

October 1, 2008
5:51 PM

Post #5621965

I've just recently received 2 gingers for my Bday and planted them in 5 gal buckets with holes drilled around them for good drainage. I thought it might be best to pamper them and then planting in the spring? Now I'm wondering if perhaps since I'm in 8B should I go ahead and plant them while my weather is beginning to cool off? I didn't know if they would be okay this winter. I have 3 Hedychium Coronarium, or at least that's what I think they are. These are Hedychium 'Daniel Weeks'. Any help would be appreciated.

Pillita
Keystone Heights, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2008
6:34 PM

Post #5622157

I would let them sit in the pots for just a couple of weeks and then plant. I've been moving some gingers around for the last couple of months and as long as I give them a lot of water and let them get back to growing in the pot, they do fine when I put them in the ground. The Hedychium that I moved to a new bed last week of July didn't even wilt.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

October 1, 2008
7:59 PM

Post #5622447

Thanks so much for the info. If there are some broken leaves would you trim them off or let them die?
Pillita
Keystone Heights, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2008
8:08 PM

Post #5622468

I would probably trim if it was just leaves. If I broke the stalk (shudder), I'd probably leave it. I had to move mine because they needed more shade.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

October 1, 2008
9:15 PM

Post #5622662

Oh thanks ... it's just some leaves that have broken ... thank heavens no stalks! I'd shutter, too! LOL I'm sooo proud of these and will be sure to take pics when they bloom. Here's the discription.

This 1992 Gainesville Tree Farm introduction (probably H. flavescens x gardnerianum) is one of the longest-flowering of the ginger lilies, starting here
in late July or early August, and continuing until frost. The 4'+ tall stalks are topped with scrumptious, golden-yellow flowers with a dark gold throat.
In early evening, the air is perfumed with their strong honeysuckle-like fragrance. This rapid grower will make a 3-4' wide clump of arching canes in only
a couple of seasons.

Aaaah, can't you just smell them? :)
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2008
1:49 PM

Post #5624775

It 's a full zone colder here, so I have to be more cautious, you can disregard this advice if it doesn't apply, but...if it's less than 4-6 weeks before your first frost is scheduled, I'd wait until next year because the roots won't get much chance to get established before winter...but you are much warmer. You are safe to cut the leaves, and the stalks ( a few inches above the base of the plant)...they won't mind
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

October 2, 2008
9:36 PM

Post #5626441

Thanks ... I looked up my frost date, and it says 10-26? Now I'm second guessing myself. Maybe I'll just baby them through the winter and plant them out in the spring. Sure don't want to take a chance on losing them. :) I appreciate all this great info. Y'all have been very helpful.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America