Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
betra
Nashville, TN

October 1, 2008
6:08 PM

Post #5622039

How do we know that the moonvine seed is ready to harvest? Mine has been blooming for months, but the seedpods are still so green. How long does it normally take them to ripe after the bloom faded?
Thanks for help.
Betra
nedweenie
Windsor, CT
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2008
12:05 PM

Post #5682343

Like the blooming, it may take forever! Check them after a hard frost maybe? Certainly the lower ones will be older than the top. I've never had luck with moonvine- and looks like not many others have either!

Since they're morning glories, I suspect that they'll open when they're good & ready. You could try the pantyhose/knee high trick and cut & wrap a pod to catch the seed when it opens.

betra
Nashville, TN

October 18, 2008
9:47 PM

Post #5687799

Thanks Nedweenie,

I will try, in fact they are still blooming now. Actually the seed is very cheap, isn't it?. But it's fun to collect them tho. No problem with morning glory's seed as well ask hyacinch bean, have bunch of them. I wonder morning glory still blooming, but only one color, other's are finished blooming. Here is the picture, taken yesterday late afternoon. I guess I should change their name to "late afternoon glory" because normally they will close their petal's when about 9 am. LOL

Betra

Thumbnail by betra
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nedweenie
Windsor, CT
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #5690220

That is gorgeous! I love the matching truck too! ;)
Potagere

October 19, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #5690417

Fantastic, betra! Love the blue.
My "cheapo" morning glories (1st ones that have grown for me) do bloom only in the AM.
But they are still blooming after 1 frost and normal temps about 40 American during the day!
betra
Nashville, TN

October 19, 2008
4:13 PM

Post #5690720

The truck unfortunately is not mine, that's neighbor's. Wish if I have a truck so that I can buy more plants and dirt, specially when I am visiting a nursery. God, I want to have a nursery!

Thanks, Jim.
I don't know what morning glory I have. I bought many packages last spring, blue, white, pink and purple.
I guess mine is confused with the weather, they thought the afternoon is still morning. For last 2 week the temperature at 2-3 pm about 65, it's about the same at 9 am during the summer.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America