Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Saving Seeds: How Do You Save Datura Seeds

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 14, Views: 261
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

JWLW

JWLW
Atkinson, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #5622865

HI:
I am looking for detailed information about collecting and saving Datura Seed.
We have grown several plants and would like to collect and save the seed for next year.
Any information is appreciated. We have searched on line and found lots of pictures and info on the plant but not much info on saving the seeds.

Thank You,
John

Thumbnail by JWLW
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 2, 2008
1:34 AM

Post #5623433

Ironically I just finished emptying my dat pods about 5 minutes ago John. There's really not much to it. The pods will split when they're ready to be harvested then all you have to do is pry them back and empty out the seeds. The trickiest part is not getting poked by all those pricklies on the pods. LOL.

This is my first year saving them but I assume the rest follows like any other seed. Let them sit on a plate or newspaper etc, for a few days to make sure they're completely dry then stick them in a bag for storage. I generally keep all my seeds in the fridge and will do so with these as well. Hope that helps.

La
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #5636541

John, I just went out and took these pictures for you. Neither of these are ready. They aren't open yet. But, I put these pouches on them so I don't lose them.

Do you see these on your plants? I don't keep all the seeds but I wanted to keep these so the pouches. Those that I don't want to keep I pop these pods off before they ripen or I would have all kinds of dats coming up next year.

Forgot to tell you, to keep the seeds out to dry quite a while before storing.

These are probably the easiest seeds I have ever done. I really have problems with a lot of other seeds. But then I haven't been trying very long.

Jeanette

Thumbnail by Jnette

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 5, 2008
8:36 PM

Post #5636548

Here is another one. 2 seed pods with pouches over them. Got the pouches at Michaels.

Jeanette

Thumbnail by Jnette

JWLW

JWLW
Atkinson, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2008
1:45 AM

Post #5637520

Jeanette, Just wanted to say thank you for your post , good information.

We grew Datura for the first time this year and have learned a lot about the plant.
We have lots of seed pots and are trying to save some of the seed. for next year.

There are two of us at JWLW John and Liza

John

Thumbnail by JWLW

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2008
6:07 AM

Post #5638210

Beautiful John. sunflowers are a favorite with me. And the phlox are very nice. Are the purple ones phlox also? They kind of look like it but not exactly. The white defintley does. Jeanette
Lala_Jane
North West, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 6, 2008
10:56 AM

Post #5638442

This message was edited Oct 6, 2008 6:58 AM

JWLW

JWLW
Atkinson, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2008
11:54 AM

Post #5638537

Jeanette, The pink and white flowers are Cleome. Attached is picture I thought I sent last time.

John

Thumbnail by JWLW

JWLW

JWLW
Atkinson, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2008
12:04 PM

Post #5638559

Jeanette, What color is your Dature ?

Would you like to swap seeds? Liza has some of the Cleome and hopefully will have some of the Datura. Our Datura is the one in the photo.

John

Thumbnail by JWLW

JWLW

JWLW
Atkinson, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2008
1:48 PM

Post #5638857

Lala_Jane, Thanks for the reply, good information. We are just learning about datura, this is our first year to grow them. Liza fell in love with them and is trying to save some seed for next year and is looking to seed swap for some different ones.

John

Thumbnail by JWLW

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 6, 2008
4:35 PM

Post #5639517

Thanks John but I have those. The one in the photo is a metal yellow. Triple yellow. My favorite. I may have some different ones which would be old seed if you want me to send you some of those too. no trade, just you can have them if you want to try them. Let me see what I have that I haven't thrown away. I really don't think these seeds get old for years. LOL

But, as you can see, the ones in the picture will be a bit before I can send any because they haven't popped open yet. Then they need to dry. Altho, you can dry them as easily as I can as long as you know they need it.

Jeanette
LissaD
Corrales, NM
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2008
1:13 PM

Post #5717786

The cleomes with the datura are beautiful. I just recieved some seed for both of these and am figuring out how to plan my garden for next year. I heard cleomes have some sharp stems and the Daturas have the spiny fruit. I just might stick these guys together too! :) Great pictures.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2008
7:05 PM

Post #5718814

John!! There you are! I couldn't remember where I was talking to you. Anyway, the triple cream colored Datura seeds that I have off of the ones that were blooming are dry now, however, I forgot that they are dwarfs. Balerinas. I put them in containers with other things and they get about 20 to 24" tall. Kind of like the dahlias.

Don't know if you are interested in them.

Anyway, for your information here is a picture I just took of them on a paper towel drying. I actually have had them there several days. I do believe they are plenty dry.

Jeanette

Thumbnail by Jnette

JWLW

JWLW
Atkinson, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2008
9:47 PM

Post #5719398

Jeanette, Yes we would love some of the seeds. Would you like us to send postage or stamped envelope, ?? Whatever.

I will Dmail you our address.

John.

Thumbnail by JWLW

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2008
9:57 PM

Post #5719429

Nope, I'll send them John. Just d-mail your address.

Jeanette

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America