seed saver envelopes

Talihina, OK

Where can I find small seed envelopes,preferably with re-sealable flaps?

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I just use regular mailing envys. BEV

Talihina, OK

Thanks Bev but was hoping to score some that were like the re-closable one that I got when I ordered seed from a Maine seed company..Do we get to send Names of companies?

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Grits are you looking for the glassine envelopes or just the tiny ziplock baggie type? I did see someone past a link last year for the glassine envies and I'm sure you could do an online search and find a few sources. I just use the small baggies that you can find in the craft dept. at Walmart. They are 100 bags for $1.00 and they work beautifully.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I do use those plastic baggies from Walmart too. I don't know about sending names of Companies. I don't know that it would hurt. BEV

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I don't think there's any rule about using company names. At least if there is it isn't adhered to.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

It is ok to use a company name to describe an item that you are looking for. We just do not allow the advertising or promotion of any business or service here.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the clarification Melody. Kinda. LOL.

Is it OK to recommend a compay for something? That is of course if you have no affiliation with them? For example Grit is looking for envelopes. Is it acceptable to tell him/her that I bought mine at Joe Schmo's House of Envelopes and was very pleased with his product? Or is that considered promoting?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

That is ok too. You are helping locate a product.

The hair splitting is when someone sings the praises of Billy Bob's Bulb Farm, and gives a link to the place. Or if Billy Bob asks customers to give him great reviews in the GWD. Billy Bob is entitled to ask that folks give him feedback, but he cannot specify what kind of feedback he gets.

We don't police the forums with an iron fist (or mouse), we just ask that you make sure that your post isn't commercial., We all talk about different products from time to time here. The Canning and Freezing forum has discussions on what type of pectin is best. The Pets forum will talk about different grooming aids. The Tomato forum will discuss different brands of fungicide, or even Earthboxes. All of these instances are quite acceptable, as long as the members (and friends) do not have a financial stake in the product.

If you feel that it is not acceptable, chances are, your gut will be right.

Talihina, OK

this is kinda what I want they are re-sealable...

Thumbnail by grits74571
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

http://www.reimerseeds.com/seed-envelopes-white-2-x-3.aspx

I found this source, but I've never done business with them.

Talihina, OK

melody I ordered the seed envelopes so we shall see The envelopes were 5 bucks and the shipping was $8.35 so likely wont order anything else from there...

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

eeek! That is pricey.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I get all sizes, from tiny to larger, from Wal-Mart. Check the hobby section where they keep the stuff for making beaded jewelry and stuff. They work wonderfully.

Donna

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Are they paper envelopes? I've seen the zip-loc ones there, but not the paper ones.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

What about coin envelopes. I've used those before and designed some about the same size.

http://www.miracle-envelope.com/coin.html

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

OK LOL it was going to drive me crazy so I went back and looked at the post from last fall on glassine envies. If you want to read it it's here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/766729/

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I use the coin envelopes alot, they're cheap, and I prefer the paper. They are just a one shot deal when it comes to sealing them.

What is in question, is a good cheap source of the resealable paper ones. These have a gummy lip like the old bank statement envelopes did. (my bank no longer uses this type) You can lift the flap and stick it back down multiple times. For those of us who prefer paper over plastic, there just isn't much that will fit into a typical seed saver budget. I can't afford to send out seeds with this type of envelopes, they'd have to be for my own use.(we're a penny-pinchin' bunch, aren't we?)

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

I use the manilla coin envelopes from one of the business supply stores. If I don't want to seal the envelope I use a paper clip. If I want to label them I print something out on a standard mailing label. There are also templates here (Dave's Garden) and elsewhere online for fancy packets. If I just want to know what the seed is, well those ball point pens work for me.

Z

Talihina, OK

This is just a blanket reply to all of the wonderful people that have worked on this with me THANK Y'ALL' the ones from Reimer were very pricey but I ordered anyway but then got a message that they declined my credit card (that little ID number on the back is hard to read..So I was happy about the outcome and will just stick to using plain mailing envelopes and dope dealer baggies..LOL hey I watch Law and Order

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

These aren't resealable, but I just got 1 3/4 x 2 3/4" glassine envelopes at dianeseeds.com. They were 100 for $5. You can fold them over and use tape to seal, and the tape comes off easily. They also have a link to herbariumsupply.com where you can get 1000 for $33.25.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

BTW - dope dealers don't use sealable baggies. (retired prosecutor).

ha. good to know! Wonder why not? You'd think that would be a good thing.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

too expensive and too slow to pack & open when you're jonesing. They prefer foil it doubles as a cooking vessel and they can buy it under the radar.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Oh the things we can learn on DG! There are all kinds of helpful hints on the uses for items you can just find around the home.....and another 'food' group to cook in foil.

Who Knew?

haha. Hey wait a minute, someone just sent me some seeds wrapped in waxed paper and then foil!!! LOL.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Told you so.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've bought "repositionable" spray adhesive, and I think I've seen it in glue stick form also... it makes a reusable seal, not unlike a post-it note. You might try that on the manila coin envelopes for a DIY version of resealable paper packets.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Scotch makes a removeable matte finish tape. It's sort of like Post-it note adhesive in a tape form. This is what I've been using on my seed packets and it's working great!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the tip!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks so much critter andmarie. I use coin envelops with regular tape and they get trashed after awhile when I re-use them. Both those products will work exactly for me.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I think a hobby store might have small envelopes for collections. Just a thought for those who want to get locally

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I get my coin envelops at the large office suppy stores cheap like borsh. I picked up the reusable tape as a refill role that I can put in my existing dispenser thingy and it was pretty reasonable too considering the amount of tape I will need for each envelop. I didn't see the glue stick or repositional spray though in the 2 office supply stores I looked in. Maybe in a craft suppy store? Critter where did you find yours? Thanks.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

It's been a while, but either Michael's or JoAnn's, so yes, try a craft store. The glue stick form seems to come and go on the shelves, but the adhesive spray should be easy to find (I've used it for stencils, and it's wonderful for that -- no more paint leaking around taped edges, the whole stencil sticks tightly to the surface and is still easy to lift and move to the next section). I think your reusable tape is as good a solution and easier than the spray. With the spray, read the directions -- it's something like, if you want a permanent bond, spray and stick it down right away, but if you want a tacky repositionable bond, spray and wait 2 minutes before adhering.

La Vernia, TX(Zone 8b)

I wanted to pass along information re: great deal for seed ziplock bags. Better deal I could not find on the Internet and I spent well over 3 to 4 hours checking out all the volume discount pricing. I had wanted the smaller bags because it takes up less space...I did not find any major dealer carrying this size. They also carry other sizes from 1/2" sq. to 2" sq. The best price I found was on eBay, the dealer's contact is: rjtozzman@comcast.net ...or...you could copy the following into the search parameters on eBay:

720 MINI ZIP LOCK PLASTIC BAGS RESEALABLE 1 1/4 X 1 1/4

Visit the seller's store once you've entered the above and you will find the other ziplock sizes available. I spent $7.00 for the ziplocks and another $3.00 per item for shipping. From what I've gleamed, the price is the same regardless of the size of the ziplock bag. The delay time between purchasing and receiving the item was less than a week to TX.

Hope this helps someone out there get a better deal!

Best regards,
Valerie

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I use the ones from the WalMart craft department... I think the size is 1 1/2 x 2 inches, and they come 100 to a pack for about a dollar. I like that size because I do label slips on the computer (use an address template on plain paper, cut apart after printing and insert inside clear zip bags), and this size lets me use a readable-sized font for the name & description.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

If I want to be sure I can re-open something made of paper, I use two pieces of tape, one under the other, so that the "re-sealable" bond is tape-on-tape.

The bottom one stays in place on the body of the envleope, where the flap will overlap it.

The top tape sticks to the flap, and then sticks re-closeably to the bottom piece of tape.

Mostly, I have been using plastic ziplocks for seed, and just dry the seed carefully before zipping.

Also, the plastic ones are cheaper.

Corey

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

i bought those little wax papery looking envelopes that stamp collectors use at a hobby shop.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I think the "stamp supply" route is most promising, but every site but one seemed to have large minimum orders, 'small order charge' or high prices.

Then I followed someone's suggestion about Mystic Stamp Compnay and got all excited, had my credit card out and everything. The smallest was larger than I wnated, but I figured I could fold it over the long way.

http://www.mysticstampcatalog.com/lg_display.cfm/catalog/Vol_5_2010/page/137/highlight/glassine%20envelopes

Then I happened to look at the pictures. The flap is on "the wrong edge". Instead of "long like a sock", it is "wide like an evelope for letters or stamps". Just not what I want.

I remember from the '70s, in a sleazy part of New Haven, a head-shop-and-worse that sold the perfect size glassine envelopes in bulk. Their clientele did not seem primarily to be gardeners, but ...

For now I'll stick with craft paper coin envelopes until dry, and then plastic zip-locks.

I thought that glassine would be less bulky for storage and shipping, more see-through than paper, and less retentive of humidity than paper. I sent 4-5 coin envelopes with Bok Choy seed in a bubble-wrap mailer, and it was pushing 3/4" thick.

http://www.fetpak.com was promising, but online, they want to add $7 for orders unders $100. I'm going to try ordering my mail with a check. They have organza bags and ziplocks, with a special right now on micro-ziplocks, 5/8"x5/8", $4 per 1,000. But they seem not to have glassine.

Corey

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.