Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Tree Care - Only you can prevent tree abuse!: Another problem...

Communities > Forums > Article: Tree Care - Only you can prevent tree abuse!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Tree Care - Only you can prevent tree abuse!Replies: 6, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2008
12:08 PM

Post #5628433

I can understand an unknowing homeowner making the serious blunders you mention here, but for hired services workers to do such is criminal. Another problem I see every year that makes my heart sick is the butchering of healthy, beautiful trees, in the name of professional pruning!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

October 3, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #5628882

Hi Lari Ann. I have a 100 year old pecan tree with an embedded WWI army belt.
The tree survived Ivan and still produces pecans - which my dogs love to crack and eat.

A few years ago I was manager at an apartment house here - rural Alabama.

The landscape trees - Bradford pears - were planted in their pots. The landscape company didn't even know that the trees were supposed to be taken out of the pots before they were planted.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 3, 2008
3:24 PM

Post #5629104

WHAT!!! A landscape company that DIDN'T KNOW the trees should be taken out of the pots???? oh my...
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #5629310

gloria I love that story.

I have a young fireman's cap tree that I strapped 'cause it was wobbly. I always intended to remove the strap once it was firmly implanted, but the dang thang got embedded into my little tree way faster than I expected, in less than 1 yr. I was able to remove most of the strapping, but it deformed my trunk a little bit. Hopefully it will recover.

good article
gardener2005
Baton Rouge area, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 3, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #5630006

We could make a t.v. show similar to animal police for trees. My husband is a arborist who has seen everything as far as how trees can be abused. He is always trying to help people save their trees. I have seen him lose money refusing to do unnecessary and wrong cutting. Thanks for another good article. More awareness of property owners helps a lot.

Karen

Edit: spelling

This message was edited Oct 3, 2008 2:58 PM
wooconley
Oak Hill, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 6, 2008
8:02 PM

Post #5640131

Another thing I hate is "tree topping". Here's a picture of what the neighbors just did to their maples/

Thumbnail by wooconley
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2008
2:48 AM

Post #5641692

Yep, right there it is, the thing I hate the most!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Tree Care - Only you can prevent tree abuse! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice One phicks 0 Oct 3, 2008 6:59 PM
Lawn care services dfwdennis 2 Oct 8, 2008 12:55 AM
DO NOT VISIT Puerto Rico Noturf 0 Oct 6, 2008 12:39 PM
Contractor damage surfcity 0 Oct 6, 2008 2:45 PM
how to kill a young tree B8C4D2A7 0 Apr 26, 2010 9:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America