Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Dave's Garden's heroes: Extreme reverse makeover saves the day: Great story

Communities > Forums > Article: Dave's Garden's heroes: Extreme reverse makeover saves the day
bookmark
Forum: Article: Dave's Garden's heroes: Extreme reverse makeover saves the dayReplies: 18, Views: 216
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 3, 2008
12:18 PM

Post #5628451

I'm not a bit surprised at the generosity of the DG community!
My best wishes for Aggiegrl and her children!!

Thanks for the article!
Bev
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2008
1:16 PM

Post #5628635

I heartly agree with Bev...I've seen the generousity of our DG'ers work in many instances.starting when my DH died after I was only on DG for 3 months...they sent me a "Friendship box" Such wonderful people here. Jo
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 3, 2008
4:16 PM

Post #5629302

Gardeners should rule the world... :-)
ceejaytown
The Woodlands, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #5629371

What a wonderful, heartwarming story! Thank you to all of you who stepped up and helped in this effort!!

If you know Linda (Smockette), you know that she's going to be there unless she's in the hospital!! And she'd better not be able to pull those tubes out of her arms...

I can't wait to get my Texas Gardening magazine!!
dorothian
Bad Axe, Mich., FL
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #5629376

This is a wonderful story.
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 3, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #5629526

I didn't cry while reading this story, but reading all the posts I am almost crying!

One day I will tell the story of how gardening saved me. I had lost hope in humanity with all this hatred and cruelty everywhere. In DG, I have found hope! I have met so many generous, kind people here, this wonderful story comes as no surprise to me.

I don't know exactly what it is that makes gardeners so kind and giving. I think it comes with the true appreciation of the simple beauty in God's world. I think it comes from the observation of how nature always finds a way. After Winter, there is always Spring. After evil, there is always Good. Love and beauty always wins!

Many blessings to all my gardening friends,
Roberta
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2008
6:57 PM

Post #5629813

Roberta...what a nice statement! The next time I am in San Diego (to visit my DGD in the Navy) I would like to meet you...plan now to attend the next Round Up in Temecula that Drdon puts on...great party...and great people from DG. Jo
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 3, 2008
9:26 PM

Post #5630207

Thanks Jo, it would be a pleasure! : )
And yes, I think I will attend the RU!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 3, 2008
9:36 PM

Post #5630238

GREAT!! Jo

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 3, 2008
10:11 PM

Post #5630340

Roberta said it better than I ever could. I've suffered from depression and gardening has definitely helped change my whole perspective on the world (the Zoloft helps, too). : ) I find that pulling weeds is one of the best stress relievers out there. I joined the invasive species task force in my county so I could have more areas to work out my frustration!

I too, was thinking how there's something about gardening that really helps you to appreciate the cycles of nature and how all living things are connected to each other. Since I've been raising butterflies I've come to appreciate how there's this perfect balance to the world.

There's a lot of Texans over on the butterfly forum, and I can say they are a particularly generous bunch. It doesn't surprise me a bit that they were more than willing to help out. Everything bigger in Texas right? That must include their hearts and generosity.

Melanie

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 4, 2008
12:10 AM

Post #5630681

I loved the article and reading about all the generosity of the DG members. I do think gardeners are more generous than other folks for some reason. Gardening and generosity must go together. Gardeners definitely rule!

Karen
Aunt_A

October 4, 2008
3:14 AM

Post #5631343

To all of you on this thread: Thank you SO much for reading the article and commenting. I treasure everyone's replies!

Sundownr,
DG is a great community, isn't it!!! I'm glad that Dave and the staff work to keep everything friendly and positive for all of the wonderful gardeners to enjoy DG.

roadrunner,
What a beautiful, precious gift from DGers. Wow.

Dutchlady1,
LOL...and that should be on a t-shirt! LOL.

ceejaytown,
I don't know LInda but from everything that she did...she seems like quite a wonderful person.

dorothian,
Thanks; what a wonderful place the world when we all love our neighbor as ourselves.

robcorreia,
Wow. Well put. I just have to repeat your words: "I think it comes with the true appreciation of the simple beauty in God's world. I think it comes from the observation of how nature always finds a way. After Winter, there is always Spring. After evil, there is always Good. Love and beauty always wins!" It sounds like you have a story to tell.

mellielong,
To grow a flower, a veggie, a butterfly is a gift from God. It is like a miracle with hope attached.

nutsfordaylily,

LOL...if only gardeners ruled everywhere. Thanks again for all your sweet comments.

^_^

Thanks again to all of you!

April

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 4, 2008
12:45 PM

Post #5632080

Roberta - I think that gardeners by definition, love life. We love nurturing life. We love beauty of life.

And I couldn't agree more Melanie about what an amazing impact gardening has on our mental health.
I've come home absolutely ready to explode with stress & anger and worked in my garden only to
find I'm calm and focussed on positives again. I think the weeding helps give me back a sense of
control and enforce some fairness in the world. Those wicked weeds need to be punished. :-)
Aunt_A

October 4, 2008
9:23 PM

Post #5633443

Tammy,

Thanks for reading and commenting. You are right; it helps me too.

April
LiliMerci
North of Atlanta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2008
7:11 PM

Post #5639994

What a wonderful story. I have made so many wonderful and generous gardening friends since I've joined. It's the best $20 spent!
Aunt_A

October 7, 2008
3:21 AM

Post #5641827

LiliMerci,

Thanks! I appreciate all of you reading and commenting.

You are correct; DG is a great place to belong. I've gotten way more than $20.00 worth of value.

April
aggiegrl
Lufkin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 7, 2008
4:26 PM

Post #5643481

thank you all for your comments. dg is the best investment i have ever made! the east texas RU is saturday and i cant wait to see my dg friends! :)

tracie

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 7, 2010
1:46 AM

Post #7771344

what a great story!!!... I am always impressed with DG kindness
aggiegrl
Lufkin, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2010
8:26 AM

Post #7771991

thanks for your comment! i will never forget the kindness of my DG friends! :)

tracie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Dave's Garden's heroes: Extreme reverse makeover saves the day Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
RE The help for Aggiegrl cando1 9 Oct 4, 2008 2:43 AM
Best story ever! dmdula 5 Oct 4, 2008 3:01 AM
Well put MitchF 4 Oct 4, 2008 9:24 PM
Beautiful Sharran 1 Oct 4, 2008 2:47 AM
What a wonderful world! ollierose 2 Oct 7, 2008 3:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America