deodorant

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Hi, my daughter needs a cheap, natural body deodorant for the boys home where she works. There is no money for this and despite lots of showers, they get that active teenage boy smell. Baking soda has helped some. Any other suggestions? Thanks! Cathy

Ripley, MS

I worked with a lady one time that used a bottle of alcohol. She had a bad problem and by mid day her deodorant was gone, she would wash off and put rubbing alcohol under her arms.
I have never tried it myself, but she said it worked for her.
Sandra

Thanks, I'll tell her.

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

LOL! I found I was allergic to deodorant a while ago -- even the natural kinds....... Not sure how cheap my solution is but it might be worth looking into:

I use a spray bottle filled with witch hazel extract -- pretty cheap at the drugstore -- to which I add essential oils -- not cheap if you get the good kinds but wait ! -- some of them are not that pricey, I am thinking even a little bit of teatree oil would work, or eucalyptus perhaps, or a citrus like lemon or orange -- those e.o.'s tend to be less pricey than some others and only a few drops per ounce of carrier would work, as well as having a mild bactericidal effect (especially the teatree)

a thot I thot I'd offer here.

ciao,
Kyla L

Tks Kyla!

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I just bought some witch hazel at the drug store. I was looking in the facial care area. I noticed how expensive it was there. I went to the first aid section & found it for $1 less per bottle. Ha! Even made by the same company. Then, next to that was the store brand. What a difference!

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Cool! Yeah, ya gotta watch out for that stuff, eh? ;-)

That's good to know, thanks.

Madera, CA

Quite by accident, I discovered that zinc oxide ointment is amazingly effective--more so than commercial deodorants. I was experiencing an underarm rash and gave it a try. It got rid of the rash and the odor as well.

Diaper rash ointment actually contains twice the zinc oxide as zinc oxide ointment, 40% compared to 20%, and comes in a much larger tube that will last a hard working man at least a year. Only tiny quantities are needed so over the course of a year it comes pretty close to being free. But, alas, it will be hard to get the guys at the boy's home to use diaper ointment. You might start them off with the more scientifically sounding "zinc oxide ointment", then switch. But first I'd suggest trying it yourself.

Good wishes, John, www.wholesystemsag.org

Gotta share this one............................it's killing two birds with one stone!
Some years ago, I read something about how much aluminum was in deodorants. There is alot. Let me put it this way. I am an xray tech, and though I don't perform mammograms, I know that women are told prior to their exam to not use deodorant that day. The aluminum in the deodorant will show up on the images and could skew the readings by the radiologist! The way I look at it, if the metal shows up on the xray, just think what the aluminum is doing inside your body! BTW, many breast biopsies, if tested for it, come up positive for aluminum.
Aluminum can not only be toxic to your system, it has a strong connection to cancer.
I switched over to something called Thai Crystals over 3 years ago. I paid about $8 for the "stone" and it is slightly below half used. So, I probably have at least another year left on it, so that would be about $ a year, according to my math.
Not sure if that can be beat, when you figure in the cost in terms of dollars AND health!
You can get these at just about any health food store. They are effective, though I would say not as effective as Mitchum (which I used previously).I think that stuff would keep your armpits plugged for as long as it was left on! The Thai Crystal application will last about one day. It does allow some perspiration under circumstances of exercise, etc., but that is a healthy thing. Working and general things considered, it does the job.
Jim

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The aluminum in deodorant is an aluminum salt, not aluminum metal. Being asked not to wear deodorant for the mammogram has nothing to do with the aluminum, you can also be asked not to have any kind of powder, lotion, etc in that area since they can all potentially interfere.

I mentioned this problem to a friend, who told a friend...
They passed the word and several BIG boxes of deodorant, shampoo, towels and other bathroom needs showed up at my front door. I've been told to expect another big box with socks, so the boys can change socks more often, like after they are outdoor in the heat. The boys were thrilled, one cried because he had never had a towel of his own before. Underwear and t-shirts are scheduled for next month.

People are so kind and caring.

OK. I don't really mind being challenged. After all, it is what make the world so interesting........
Here is my response to the previous post about deodorants and aluminum.
On the contrary, aluminum IS the reason that women are asked to NOT wear the deodorant the day of the mammogram.
I have been an xray tech for over 20 years (3 years teaching), and though not directly in this particular field of mammography, it is common knowledge among rad techs and radiologists that it is the potential presence for small particles of metals, particularly aluminum, in lotions, potions, deodorants, perfumes, etc., in the axillary area (or other areas near the breast) of the patient that may superimpose on the image, creating an artififact, and/or false interpretation of the image. Just do a google search and one can easily find this out as well. It is the aluminum.
I realize this was not the overall point of this question at the top of this subject, but it in my opinion, does tie in to the potential and probable connection between breast cancer/cysts/tumors and heavy metal toxicity. Vitamin D deficiency is probably the biggest one (causal for cancer), but in many cancerous tumors, the presence of heavy metals, including aluminum, cannot be shrugged off. Again, just sharing.
I really like this forum (Dave's) and in my heart of hearts, I truly enjoy sharing things for the benefit of others, but it amazes me how many people challenge things, or trivialize the importance of bringing useful info to the table that can help people. We do live in a toxic world, and yes, alot of things can make us sick.......including radiation (my occupation-hate that part for sure)........................one of them, IMO, just happens to be conventional deodorant. I am mildly surprised the 8$ for the natural deodorant that will last anyone for years wasn't challenged. I will be much more selective in my posts in the future.
Just trying to help provide a very economical solution that works and will not cause damage. That was the point and question of the original post, right? Please forgive me for my rant.........................Cathy, I hope that you find what you are looking for..................looks like you already have. Good deal.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Continuing off topic for a moment if I may...

I've been following this thread as an increase in aluminum has come up in much testing in Altzheimers patients also. They are unsure as to whether it has been absorbed over the years via cookware, food containers (i.e. soda cans) or deoderants. Possibly just a predisposition to it. There are not many other viable deoderant solutions. I had wondered how safe the continuous use of Zinc Oxide would be also. It has been proven that anything applied to the skin can be absorbed thru the pores. JimmyD, perhaps this would be a good topic for the Healthy Living forum too.

Cathy4 ~ glad you found a solution for the boys home. I hope it continues well past the holiday season.

One thing that has helped is a sprinkle of baking soda on their feet after showering and before socks, cuts down on the smelly shoes. Lisa (my daughter) kept them inside one day and put their tennis shoes through the washer with a vinegar rinse, what a difference that made!

Charlotte, VT

I'm curious about the zinc oxide. Does it get onto your clothes? If so does it stain them or wash off? Does the zinc oxide work because it clogs the pores or do you think your underarms still breath a little?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Cornstarch.

Mid-Michigan, MI(Zone 5b)

Podster, I have looked all through DG and I can't find the Healthy Living forum... HELP!!!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Help for the boys home might be a project for your church. Our small church keeps a box in the narthex for donations of this type. Someone takes this box to the local Food Pantry every week.

We were donating canned food til we were told that they really get plenty of donated food now from various stores. So now we are asked to donate personal items such as deoderant, soap, toothpaste, brushes and Feminine hygine products because their food stamps cannot be used for these things. I go to the Family Dollar Store each week and pick up some goodies. I look for deals on tooth brushes, razors, deoderant, soap, etc. I find 20-25 razors for $2.00 for example.

We also have a tradition called "Dollars at The Door". This is a small optional donation that each week is designated to a special use - could be your boys home, a needy family, battered women's shelter or just cash that is given to folk's down on their luck that show up at our church office from time to time.

This year at the beginning of school, we asked for pencils, paper, and general school supplies for one of our elementary schools. The teachers put out many dollars in supplies to those kids that can't afford them. We also sponsored a "Book Bag" week, we have a lot of needy families in our area. We have a very small congregation only about 100 attend each week, but people are generous if we know where to direct our gifts to those less fortunate.

Madera, CA

Hello realVermonter and others interested in zinc oxide.

I have no idea by what mechanism it works--it just works and in tiny amounts too. Yes it will come off on clothing but that shouldn't be a problem unless a lot is used and clothing is tight fitting.

Thanks for the question, John

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/health/all/

the Healthy Living Forum.

;-)

Mid-Michigan, MI(Zone 5b)

Aw, geez. It was under Health and Beauty, lol. Thanks!!

Wonder Lake, IL(Zone 5b)

I am a healthcare professional and I agree with those who have concerns about aluminum compounds in deodorants. Also the "Thai Crystal" deodorants also have aluminum, in the form of alum. The way I view it, the health problems associated with aluminum are so severe, that any contact with aluminum, trandermally (through the skin), or orally, should be avoided at all costs.

For a really effective deodorant, that has no toxins whatsoever:

1 tbsp baking soda
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp olive oil
5 drops tea tree oil
5 drops lavender oil

Just mix the first three ingredients together, then add the essential oils. Apply a tiny bit with your fingers. Works better than any other deodorant I know, and it's dirt cheap. The scent is generic enough that either men or women are generally comfortable with it. I don't see why you couldn't substitute other essential oils, if you prefer a more woodsy scent, such as sandalwood, as long as you are not sensitive to that oil.
None of the ingredients are known neurotoxins or carcinogens. I use all organic ingredients, so that I also avoid GMOs and pesticides, too.

Thank you so much. Can it be stored in a jar for any length of time or does it have to be mixed at time of use? With so many boys, she would have to make up a good sized batch. I'm going to try it, too!

Wonder Lake, IL(Zone 5b)

The most perishable ingredient is the olive oil. After a few weeks, it starts to separate out a little on top, so I just mix it back in. I mix a single batch for myself, and it lasts several weeks, because "just a dab will do ya". Since olive oil can get rancid at room temperature, and more so in the heat of a bathroom, I just mix enough to store for about 4 weeks. It's so quick and easy to make, I don't mind making it once a month. If you want to mix a larger batch, you could store most of it in the fridge for up to 6 months, taking a couple tablespoons out at a time. As with anything that I will ingest or put on my skin, I store it in glass, to avoid absorbing phthalates and other toxins from plastic.
As with any deodorant, it can be a bit irritating if you apply it to very closely, freshly shaven, and therefore, open, skin.

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

FWIW, here is one more. We heard this on "The People's Pharmacy". It is Milk of Magnesia (another metal, though, magnesium hydroxide) and DH swears by it. Again, just use a little bit with your fingertips. It really works. There is a reason why it is in an opaque blue bottle: it thickens when exposed to light.

Bryan, TX

Yes, I heard Dr. Mehmet Oz on Oprah say that he uses Milk of Magnesia instead of the commonly sold deodorants. I was surprised, but have not tried it.

Springville, UT

where do you get tree tea oil

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Most Health Food stores will sell Tea Tree oil.
It is not an essential ingredient I think.

Just a question, since I plan to try this recipe - does this not stain your clothes?

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I'm so happy to find this recipe! The only deodorant I've found that works for me without causing a rash is Burt's Bees, but $8 is more than I'm willing to pay for deodorant.

I think the tea tree oil would be a helpful ingredient because it has anti microbial qualities, and I understand microbes are the source of body odor.

Huntersville, NC

while this is not a deodorant substitute idea i think it is still applicable.

yearly i used to go strict raw vegetarian for several weeks.
was shocked to discover how little deodorant of any was actually needed.

no it is ot just me nor my body but rather the way the human body processed animal matter: meat.

dont think it would be wise to attempt vegetarian diet on anyone but a decrease in the QUANTITY of meat consumed would also affect the amount of deodorant needed - proportionally.

most Americans do eat more meat than is necessary, often causing health issues later in life.

so a dietary meat reduction can reduce the need for deodorant AND be a healthier way of eating too.

That is so interesting. Beef was the first thing removed from my diet when I was diagnosed with a liver problem. I had horrible breath before then, once I stopped eating beef, the smell went away. I can eat fish and chicken and some lean pork with no problems.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I'm a little astonished that a health care professional is recommending that people put lavender oil on their armpits since it's commonly known to cause allergic reactions in many. It's pretty miserable to have an allergy rash in an area as sensitive as your armpits.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

I was wondering about that, too. Would it help to test it on a small spot first?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images