Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Kitchens: Outdated kitchen cabs

Communities > Forums > Kitchens
bookmark
Forum: KitchensReplies: 7, Views: 264
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
britbrighton
Ancram, NY

October 3, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #5630288

I have a very seventies kitchen, the only thing unlovable about my vintage house. Not being able to afford the vision I have for my kitchen at this time, I did a few less expensive updates such as a linoleum checkerboard floor and painting the walls and trim. The cabinets are smooth plain veneer and I would like to paint them, as I have seen on home networks. Has anyone tried this and most importantly, does it come out looking cheesy? I don't want any small aesthetic upgrades I do to look cheap but I do want to freshen up that room. Any help would be great!
jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 25, 2008
9:10 PM

Post #5715847

I suggest you check out the how-to videos on HGTV, just do a search. As with anything painted, prep is EVERYTHING. Take the time to do the job right, and it is a reasonable alternative to replacement.
DianeinFL
Wimauma, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2008
12:03 AM

Post #5719936

I painted my kitchen cabinets. You can see the whole kitchen redo here: http://hojpojloj.blogspot.com/

Are your cabinets wood veneer, or formica? Mine are wood.

Thumbnail by DianeinFL
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

May 19, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #6570920

diane, I LOVE those hiding cubbies on the counter! what a fabulous use of space!
pastime
Waterman, IL
(Zone 5a)

May 20, 2009
12:23 PM

Post #6573840

DianeinFl: What color did you use on your cabinets? I bought black bin pulls years ago for my cabinets, but can't decide what color to paint them. So they sit in a drawer waiting for me to paint. I really like the color you chose.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8296350

Ok I know this is an older thread now, but I love the looks of the built in nooks over the cabinets. Reminded me of the appliance garages they build in with the roll tops on them, anyone use those? I would love to add one to my kitchen.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 18, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8317716

We did a lake home last spring. They wanted an appliance garage. Of course we built the thing from scratch & it is way more than a store bought one. Those so called designers don't have a clue!
Wood is Knotty Alder, natural, no stain.

Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2011
6:22 AM

Post #8318601

very pretty!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Kitchens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
If you were replacing a countertop, what would you choose? LooneyLinda 198 Apr 30, 2014 6:14 PM
As requested on another thread, here's my kitchen re-do Connie_G 53 Jun 3, 2007 5:32 AM
anyone use Sears to reface cabinets? ssdogwood 15 Aug 3, 2007 10:21 PM
Our kitchen is done ! CountryGardens 24 Oct 13, 2007 3:12 PM
Stainless Steel Appliances - Any suggestions?? azrobin 18 Jun 3, 2010 3:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America