-
AuthorContent
Tropicanna
Clemmons, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 4, 2008
12:23 PM

Post #5632027

I'm in zone 7b and according to the research I've done the only costus which is reportedly hardy to my zone is costus speciosus. I have several costus out now that are different sizes, some are taller than me, a couple are between 2-4 feet. I want to leave them all out probably just to see if they'll make it. now my question is, is it a really bad idea to cut back some of the canes? I can't help but think they're probably gonna die anyway, it'd be a heck of a lot of cuttings, but I don't want to leave open wounds that might compromise their ability to make it through the winter

I have speciosus & var. speciosus (have some of both taller than me,,,it's actually budding even, and a small var. one)
spicatus --same, taller than me, budding
arabicus variegata, 4-5 feet, I reeeeeally doubt it has a chance of being hardy, and a smaller one too
Indo wax ginger--I have a monster (pictured...it's big, no blooms of course :)

thanks for any feedback

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JanetOS
Ocean Springs, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 5, 2008
2:27 AM

Post #5634308

In my experience, with the slightly cooler temps in the fall, cutting them back makes the plant think it is springtime. This can cause a growth spurt, then , winter sets in, and there is no stored energy in the bulb, and leaves it vunerable to the cold.
This happened to me several times after hurricane seasons. I lost more plants from the cold than the hurricane itself. When the hurricanes hit in Aug or Sep, they usually begin to put out more growths immediately, which leaves it more vunerable to the cold. The next spring they didn't come back from dormancy.
This is just my experience. Happened with most of my curcumas, var. speciosus, and costus barbados, costus green mountain, and others, I can't remember, because I didn't replace them. LOL!!
Janet
gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

October 13, 2008
8:56 AM

Post #5665049

This plant has been growing in my yard for over 10 years. I am in zone 9. It freezes to the ground almost every year, even here. All it takes is a single night below 32F and all the canes will turn to mush. Cutting it back now won't make a difference for you either way, because in your zone, you will lose them all anyway. None of your topgrowth will make it through the winter in your zone unless the sun goes supernova.

The word "hardy" applied to this ginger refers only to the underground rhizome mass, not to the topgrowth. You can cut it back as much as you want, when the rest freezes later cover with a nice layer of mulch and wait til spring.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America