Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Handyman: Musty Smell in House

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 6, Views: 204
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
txflowerlady
Deer Park, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2008
12:31 PM

Post #5632042

My husband and I live in a 40 plus yr old brick home on a slab. For a couple of years we have had a problem with a musty smell in one of our bedrooms. Since Hurricane Ike the smell is also in our Master Bedroom which is next to the other bedroom. The windows in the rooms face south. (We were not a victim of rising water.) You can not see any visual signs of water damage or mold. Someone suggested that the water came in around the windows and drained down to the slab. There is a crack in the brick at the corner of the Master Bedroom window.

The smell seems to have a life of its' own as it waxes and wanes. The smell might be so strong it would knock you over, then later in the day you can hardly smell it. The smell seems to come from the left hand corner of each room which is to the left of the window. But it never totally goes away.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this and where to go for help to solve this mystery.

txflowerlady
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2008
11:05 PM

Post #5640734

I was sure I posted an answer to you the other day but I don't see it here so I'm not sure what happened. I would call in the pros and have them check things out, it sounds like water probably got in somewhere and mold is growing and that's not something you want to mess with. Just because you don't see anything doesn't mean there's not mold growing behind the walls, etc.
txflowerlady
Deer Park, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #5647502

State Farm is going to send out a claim adjuster. We definately are going to call in a pro whether or not it is covered, but what type of pro do we need? Because of the situtiaon with the hurrincane I am concerned about getting someone who is less than honest.

The odd thing is that the musty ordor comes and goes; all in the same day. Go figure!

Thanks for your input.

txflowerlady
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 9, 2008
1:09 AM

Post #5649104

I'd look for someone who repairs water damage or does mold remediation, that's probably your best bet. Just make sure you check with the BBB or get references from someone you know. Your insurance adjuster can probably recommend someone, they most likely have people they've dealt with in the past. Or if you've got Angie's List in your area that's a good source to find reviews on contractors.

As far as why the smell varies, it could be due to differences in temperature, humidity, or airflow in the house at different times of the day, or if you're in that area for a while your nose tends to get used to smells and you don't notice them as much anymore, but if you go out for a while you may notice it more when you come back in.
txflowerlady
Deer Park, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2008
1:05 AM

Post #5653130

ecrane3

I think I may have came up with the cause. We have laminated wood floors that have a pad underneath them to reduce the noise. At the corner were the smell is coming from I noticed a slight bulge in the laminate at the wall. The pad under the laminate must have gotten wet some how and has mildewed.

I agree with you as why the smell comes and goes is due to heat or humidity. When we go to bed there usually isn't too much of a smell. Around 5:30 a.m. or so the smell comes back. During the day we do not spend much time in the bedrooms. Sometimes one room smells and not the other. It is strange.

Thanks for your input.

txflowerlady

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #5653170

I bet that's it, is there an easy way to pull up the flooring and replace the pad? That could save you money if you could do it yourself. I'd still have someone come out and inspect the area though, water could have gotten other places too and you wouldn't want to miss an area where mold is growing.
cambaird
Vero Beach, FL

August 29, 2009
12:41 AM

Post #6999584

Have you considered trading in your husband? Just a thought...ROFL!!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America