What have you learned???????????

Plymouth, MI(Zone 6a)

What have you learned? We have all been around for quite awhile and I thought it would be interesting to hear what we have learned through the years!
I have learned listening is a gift.
I have learned that most of the thing that I worry about never happen.
I have learned kids and grandparents are natural allies!
I 've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one!
Those are a few just to start, would love to hear some of yours. Meem

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I have learned that if something won't matter ten years from now you are better off not losing sleep over it.

I have learned that while you slog for 18 or so years to bring your child into adulthood, they leave home just when you start enjoying their company most.

I have learned that real friends are forever, even if they (or you) move to the other side of the world.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

A woman only needs two tools....WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.
There would be no spoiled children if you could just spank the grandparents.
Never give yourself a haircut after three margaritas.

Plymouth, MI(Zone 6a)

Bubbles, love the hair cut......LOL...Lady1, I agree that real friends truly are forever!
I've learned that if you smile at people, they almost always smile back!
I've learned that there is always someone that cares. DG is a good example.
I've learned that peanut butter works best to trap a mouse. Meem

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I've learned that if I can wake up "all by myself"
get out of bed "all by myself"
take a shower "all by myself"
eat a meal "all by myself"
put my clothes on "all by myself"
go any place I want to "all by myself"

It is a blessed day. Discovered this after being primary caretaker for both my parents in their last days. After recent spinal surgery I needed help for the first 3 weeks and it came home to me even more so.

Money cannot buy health. It is a gift from God.

Christi

Ripley, MS

Christi, I can certainly agree with you--I had a fusion in Feb and had to be in a brace for 9 weeks--I could not even take a shower by myself.
You are right it is a blessed day when we can take care of our own needs.
Sandra

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Bless your heart. I had 4 fusions in the lower lumbar but did not have to wear a brace. Thank God for small favors. I have recovered very fast.

Ripley, MS

I was not allowed to bend at all for 9 weeks. I even had to shower in my brace, Jerry would put a shower curtain on the bed and help me out of the shower (it weighed a ton when wet) get me on the bed and then strip off the wet brace. He then had to launder it for me and I could not get out of bed until it was dry. I had to wear it around the clock for the first 3 days and then had to put it on and off in the bed. I had to roll into it on the bed before getting up.
He had to help me dry off and help me dress, he even powdered my bootie for me--talk about a good hubby, I really have one.
I was told it would take a year for the fusion to be complete and I still do not lift anything. This was my third back surgery and I am really getting tired of them--lol
Sandra

Plymouth, MI(Zone 6a)

Christi and Sandra, I 've learned that the worst pain is watching someone else in pain. Especially someone we love. It is easy to see you both know what is important. I also have back problems that have really affected my life but I have learned that you just keep on going any way you can... Meem

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

THIRD??!!!

I don't think I could stand it. I am being very, very careful not to move anything. Dr. warned that bone graft doesn't always take for no reason that they can determine. Prognosis here is for a year before he declares it a success.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

You are sooo right about hurting for someone else. Just got home after spending 12 hours in ER with my daughter and my greatgrandaughter. She just turned 2 on Sept. 26. Since Saturday she has had a boil getting larger on her little bum. Turned out it was MRSR Staph infection. Had to be lanced. They gave her morphine through her IV for pain. Of all the things she had today giving that baby a drug was the worst. Then she had 3 more drugs to put her in lala land while they lanced it. Said they are seeing 5-6 children per day. This at Children's Hospital of Dallas. Huge plant with who knows how many sick children everyday. Lots of misery on those premises. We all carry the staph on our own bodies. Just the slightest break in the skin can give it an opening into our bodies. Very resistant to antibiotics.

Sorry...got OT once again.

Ripley, MS

So sorry about the sweet baby being in pain, it is very hard to watch children suffer. I hope the lancing cures it and no farther problems.

Yes, it was the third. It was the same disk. It ruptured once, had surgery, again, had another surgery, 3rd time and a new doc did the fusion. He said it would just continue to rupture if I didn't have the fusion.
I try to take very good care of my back now.

Sandra

Plymouth, MI(Zone 6a)

Soooo sorry to hear about your Greatgrandaughter...It makes it so much harder when they are so little. Hope she will be ok soon. Bless her little heart! Meem

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

She has been a jewel. Babysat yesterday because she didn't need to go to daycare yet and we had a great time.

New Iberia, LA

Not my words but this is what I have learned.
Oldude

Yesterday... Today... Tomorrow
There are two days in every week about which we should not worry, two days which should be kept free from fear and apprehension.

One of these days is Yesterday, with its mistakes and cares, its faults and blunders, its aches and pains. Yesterday has passed beyond our control.

All the money in the world cannot bring back Yesterday. We cannot undo a single act we preformed, we cannot erase a single word we said

~Yesterday is gone.

The other day we should not worry about is Tomorrow, with its possible adversaries, its burdens, its large promise and poor performance.
Tomorrow is also beyond immediate control.

Tomorrow's sun will rise, either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds, but it will rise. Until it does, we have no stake in Tomorrow for it is as yet unborn.

This leaves only one day ~Today.
Any man can fight the battle of just one day. It is only when you and I add the burdens of those two awful eternities.

~Yesterday and Tomorrow ~ that we break down. It is not the experience of Today that drives men mad.

~It is the remorse or bitterness for something which happened Yesterday and the dread of what Tomorrow will bring.

Let us therefore live but one day at a time!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images