A Middle Eastern dish made from chickpeas
(111 votes, 17%)
Red dot

The dark, decomposed, organic part of soil
(503 votes, 80%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Yippee! LOL I got it by deductive reasoning .:)

Sherrie In, NH(Zone 5a)

ditto!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I didn't because I was thinking chickpeas.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow...so this is the way to be one of the first to answer these questions: GET UP with the chickens! haha
I got it right but I really thought about the hummus thing! Then I thought: heLLLLo, this is a gardening site--not a cooking one!!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

I was just ready to click on chick peas when I started to think about the spelling, so I did have the right answer.

(Zone 1)

I have heard of hummus, never tried it though, even though I do like chickpeas.

I do remember mom saying some of us kids actually ate humus when we were little! Nowadays, I don't eat it but I sure enjoy playing in the humus. ^_^

Clarksville, TN(Zone 6b)

They got me! I was thinking of food. What do they expect so early in the morning LOL I thought there was something fishy about that question!

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Mmmmmmmmm Hummus on pita ....... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

But I don't eat dirt

This message was edited Oct 6, 2008 9:33 AM

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Seems like a lot of great minds were on food this morning.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've had hummus that tasted like humis.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

X funny

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

A parking lot of full of oversized SUVs is MANURE!

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

It's so funny that a number of folks thought first of food. Maybe it should be called Dave's Deli instead of Dave's Garden.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Is Dave opening a deli???? HMMM

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Doh! I was after chickpeas too...can't stand the stuff, blech!

Deering, NH(Zone 5a)

I knew it had nothing to do with cow manure, since another name for that is cow patties.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

SUV's.... :)

Okeechobee, FL(Zone 10a)

When are we getting a DG Trivia game?
;)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think the answer should be SUVs. The word sounds like an SUVish kinda thing. The good stuff should have a better sounding name like planaterra or terraplethera or somesuch. Geez the naming guys must have been having a bad hair day when they came up with that name IMHO. Mmmmmmmmm hummmus mmmmmmmm. Now I'm hungry.

Havelock, Canada

Wow! I finally answered right. I will be waiting for my well-deserved prize to be delivered in the mail any day now. LOL

Hugs Elaine and Otis

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Well Procrastinator, it would a appear from your NAME, you are used to waiting! Keep waiting for that gift to come! Let me be the first to give you kudos for getting it right!

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Sugarweed---I think this IS a DG trivia game. I'm in good standing, too.

(Susan) Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

wow - got it right, too!!

Santa Fe, NM

Hummus has two "m's". Humus has one 'cause you can't eat it. Like dessert and desert. Edibles get double letters. A new rule for grammar! Who would've thought?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I also got it right because my husband, who has only recently started eating hummus, always accuses me of serving him dirt. It's his favorite joke.

Jacksonville, TX

Humus to me is the most decomposed form of organic matter.

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

I guessed right only because it seemed like the only right answer. I've heard the word over and over, but didn't stop to inquire just what it was. Now I know for sure.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Knew the correct answer, but really enjoyed the parking lot choice: it fits (lol).

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Was the only answer, if you know your soil LOL

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Hmm when I play in humus, my hands don't get all smelly and parking lots- - - - there may be a lot of VERBAL humus going on when one can't remember which pile of humus er ah excuse me, SUV is theirs. Now chick peas, that could come closer to the to the other choice.
So I chose the end product after the microbes, bacteria and worms have had their share of the peas and poop. He He he he

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Didn't have the remotest idea what just exactly humus was but after reading the list of "possibles" did manage to get it right. For all I knew it was manure which was the only other thing "garden wise". Strike up another one for luck.

Ann

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

LOVE the edible HUMMUS .. quite tasty once you add the proper spices and such .. use it as dip with crackers or bread ..

~M~

Jacksonville, NC(Zone 8b)

I new what it was generally, but the other answers narrowed it down to the obvious.
Lynda

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I always called dark decomposing soil humas - until I learned that humas is also a Mediterranean/east indian dish you can eat.

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

All you wanted to know about "HUMMUS", but were afraid to ask :-) can be found here along with a PIC !!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummus

~M~

Keaau, HI

So how do you separate the fulvic and humic acids out of the stuff?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks, MarilynneS, for the reference. Who would have thought that Wikipedia would know everything about hummus!

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

That is a tricky question because hummus can also be spelled humus and both be technically correct as the spread from chickpeas. I had to look it up once for a chickpea dip that I thought for sure had made a typo.

forsyth, GA(Zone 8a)

humus-hummus, tomaytoe-tomahta, potaytoe - potahta!!! It's all semantics,except to gardeners!!
BTW,hummus can be spelled hommos,but if it's spelled humus,it's spelled wrong.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2008 1:32 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.