Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Theme - Parallel Lines

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 19, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 6, 2008
8:22 PM

Post #5640197

A vertical design using tall flowers arranged in parallel lines. There must be at least 3 lines, usually 5 or 7.
The container should be long and shallow. The height of the arrangement should be the same as the lengh, for good visual balance.

Thumbnail by terriculture
Click the image for an enlarged view.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 6, 2008
8:32 PM

Post #5640224

Plant Material used...
White Gladioli, Green Chrysanths, Gyp, Orange Roses,Cinnamon sticks, ornamental gourds.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 6, 2008
8:40 PM

Post #5640244

The container holds 2 floral foam blocks, which were covered with the cinnamon sticks. Any sticks or prunings would work for this. Alternatively the base can be covered with a variety of interesting foliage.

Any plant material can be used, make one today...have fun!

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #5651173

I love it! You are amazing. Are the cin sticks hot glued to the base?
The orange roses are stupendous! What a great outcome.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 10, 2008
3:39 AM

Post #5653690

Thank you Candee. I quite enjoyed making it. The sticks are not glued, just wedged in between the oasis and the tray. This was the lazy option which cost me a point at the flower club! The judge said the sticks should go all the way to the base or it should be in a brown tray. I hadn't realised all that when I made it, she said the green tray I used stood out too much. I know for next time.. lol.
Are you going to try this one?
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2008
3:42 AM

Post #5653696

OMG that is absolutely gorgeous.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 10, 2008
4:07 AM

Post #5653775

Thank you Vossner! Do you make arrangements?
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2008
4:15 AM

Post #5653798

nah, just stick fresh cut flowers in a vase. But I do admire those who are gifted with this talent, such as you.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 10, 2008
4:54 AM

Post #5653868

Thanks for the compliment! We have a thread for ...just stick fresh cut flowers in a vase!
You are welcome to join in!!! Nice to meet you.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2008
1:36 PM

Post #5654692

Hi Vossner, please join in - we are critics, just flower lovers and believe me you will be amazed at what you might learn from Terri. I started out just "stickin flowers in a vase" and have actually quite improved thanks to this forum. Has really gotten me started thinking outside the "vase"!

Terri would love to try it, and will when I get a chance, gotta go to Ohio this afternoon and then back Sunday and then up to the cabin Wednesday even thru Sat or Sun. Sometime will get one done, but likely won't have any flowers in it LOL, running low here!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 12, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #5660001

Candee, looking forward to seeing your parallel when you get the time!!!!!!

BTW, we also have a thread for green arrangements!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2008
5:41 PM

Post #5666535

Least give me an "E" for effort as I tried. Not my greatest work of art. Now Terri - about that secret garden theme???????? Least you could try LOL!

Thumbnail by haighr

haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2008
5:44 PM

Post #5666544

Mums, dahlias, dried stuff ^_^ and cuttings from yucca and toothpicks.

Thumbnail by haighr

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 13, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #5667314

Candee, It's got to be a B for Brilliant!
Your Dahlias are huge, it makes sense to use them to cover the base. Good thinking!
You have created an unusual parallel with the flowers and the foliage swaping places, I like that idea, well done! What a nice surprise today, didn't expect this!! Thanks for making it.

About the secret garden, It's next on my list, promise Lol!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #5667859

LOL, didn't expect it either, today was a holiday from work and am still tired from the long trip yesterday and did have a lot to do, but alas, the sun was shining and have plenty of time to stay indoors and do stuff, so I got to thinkin about the parallels and did not want to let you down! Voila!

As for today, still went to the gym, made the arrangements including the fall autumn with the gourds, and did all the laundry and the bedding and got lots of groceries for the cabin for the long week weekend coming up with Tim and the hunting season! So there goes, tired again as usual!

Thanks for the B as I thought it was an e at best! But I did try hard and had other stupid ideas before I acquiesed with this plan!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2008
11:14 PM

Post #5667872

Oops forgot did see those little bowls that you used at the grocery store, didn't get any as I did not want to copy, but see how it works now with those, very clever = I have a better eye than ever now because of you Terri, thanks friend!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2008
12:00 AM

Post #5668074

hey I'll give you a E for excellent!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2008
12:16 AM

Post #5668129

Well that is too much vossner, but "I' thank you much" It just isnt much but a happy tray and poseys!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 14, 2008
3:49 PM

Post #5670217

Candee, it's not copying to use the same materials... if it was no- one would ever make anything!
Lucky to see them at the grocery store, next time get them ...LoL!
What did you do at the gym? and where do you get all your energy??
BTW, if you don't make an arrangement, I'm not let down, after all, the best bit is the actual making!!
It's a bonus if anyone likes it. !!!!
Going to check out the Gourds you found...

Hi Vossner!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2008
4:57 PM

Post #5670439

Don't worry mate, you aren't forcing me to do anything except experiment and I love it! Not always thrilled with my outcomes though. But must say Steve thought it was different and reminded him of a hawaiian lei.
At the gym I try to get rid of the midrift bulge, but so far not working LOL! I also have some medical issues that need to be handled through a regimented program. Believe me would rather spend the time doing other things, but this is mandatory.

Energy, gone by 9 pm every evening!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America