Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

The flowerpot Cafe' XLV (is that right, 14?)

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Come one come all, the newly reovated cafe' is opening it's doors tonight!
The feature walls are dark olive green and the leather lounges and ottomans are Taupe. Its all very modern and all we need are some modern arrangements to set it off!
Some orange, red and black would be great, in metallic containers or something angular! Go for bold architectural foliage but keep it simple and uncluttered.
On the menu is Sushi rolls with avocado, carrot, celery and wasabi and soy sauce on the side

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Goodness Sue, how do you find the time, with all the entertaining you just wrapped up and working and now the renovations completed already? I love the taupe leather, it is soft as the finest cowhide ever and just what I need to smother into on a cold evening. The olive green is gonna take a bit of gettin used to, I am so used to all the neutrals we had it is quite a bold change.
Hum orange, red and black, not sure what I can scrounge this time of year, but will surely work on it after all you have done in here.
Could we broaden the menu? I'm not much for sushi, so hoping we can have a variety. Meantime, I need to work on stocking the new teak and mirrored bar. Can we get all new crystal as well or have we run out of money doing the recessed lighting? Let me know and I'll start shopping.
OMG is that a Tassimo machine there in the new kitchen? Can I be the first to operate it? Can we have lattes?

Can't wait until everyone else gets here and sees the new joint!

Humansville, MO

i here
still buies bad spelling
i love the food and picture
elle

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Sue, the place looks grand. It feels more like a modern lounge now than a cafe and I have never seen modern that was so comfy!

Candee, have you got those the Latte machine thingy working? I could use a pick-me-up about now. Can you believe that my boss didn't realize I was gone! In fact he came up to me in the breakroom and thanked me for working so hard at my desk for so long that he wants me to take a 3 hour lunch as a reward... I am going to take it and get caught up so he'll never know ;~)

I started another collage. Sticking with the pond theme this one is goung to be a turtle swimming in the water. I can see it in my mind. Now I just need to try and make it work...

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Zany, so you "muse" everyone even at work. I can't believe you weren't missed. I returned everything just as I left it only more of it!
Please start a thread and we shall follow your work in progress, sounds like an interesting subject. And the colors will be a great match with blues and greens. Perhaps you are making this one for the cafe and will put a black frame around it and add some touches of red lilies in the water?
I have been reading the instructions on this machine all afternoon, that is why work is piling up around me and still haven't figured it out. Might I suggest you ask Steven if there is a Starbucks nearby so you don't have a caffeine fit until I can get it going?

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I'll try to remember to take pictures of it...but I don't remember most of the time. I plan to make the frame almost like the first one but with a wider black molded wood on top with real glass instead of the plexiglass I used on the first one. I may make the turtle a bit dimensional too, kind of like a relief, to give him more depth... just working it out in my mind...I could use layers of cardboard, paper machete' or clay....

The nearest starbucks is about 13 miles from here so I went ahead and put on a pot of strong coffee. I needed it bad~

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Sorry,. but just got busy here Zany, been trying to make something for the cafe. Don't have anything for a mod arrangement yet but let's vote on if and where if so we could hang my modern framed glad? If the green isn't what you want let me know I can get another insert for the frames.
Going to have to enjoy everyone elses poseys here soon as I am now down to just dahlias and nothing near mod enough for our new cafe.
Like your dimensional turtle idea, that is how we make our wood pictures with a layer dimensional effect, great concept.

Thumbnail by haighr
Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I think the glads would look nice over by the entrance between the two tall narrow windows. I like the green as it is. It shows nicely against the darker green walls.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Oh Candee, that is just perfect! I agree with Zany, it looks so much like a stained glass panel, that between those two long windows would be juuuuuust right!
I'll give you a quick demo on the cofee barista so you can get brewing. I still have a couple of visitors to take care of, and some work to do during the day, but I have an arrangement in mind, just have to procure the ingredients!
I've added a Smoked Salmon wrap to the menu, but feel free to add something to your taste too!
I know i was a bit specific with the theme, but just do what you feel like doing, no pressure! We'll see how everyone likes the Olive wall and if it's not quite right for the punters, maybe we can change it. let me know by early next week

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

This is the current feature wall colour, The remaining walls are beige

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Okay Sue, thanks for that I can see it much more clearly now. I love the new theme, just need to tweek the menu and am sure that will be accomplished as soon as we find a permanent chef. Looking for classier help now that we have done the renos is going to be a tricky venture as well, please everyone, ask around and feel free to make suggestions. We need a matre'd, cocktail waitress/bartender, chef, who am I forgetting.

I think you two are right, why didn't I see that area, guess I was so much in awe that I never turned around when I came in and then I just went back into the lounge and kitchen and out the back door. It is not as easy to see Steven's house now that we put in the narrower windows, but am sure he can still see us coming and going through his yard (he hasn't gottent the fence yet!).

Did either of you notice if the open light was on, just wondering where everyone is?

london England, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the new cafe' Sue, very classy! You've done us proud with the renos.
Candee, the open light is switched on now......

I'll be back later on to have a good look round, has anyone worked out the latte machine yet?

Thumbnail by terriculture

Hi everyone, The new Flowerpot cafe is Open. Welcome!

Candee, Thank you! I have been admiring your beautiful modern framed Glad, so clever! It looks perfect for the new image in here. Out with the old, in with the new! I'm still looking for some angular metalic containers myself!! I have some old buckets but don't think they will do. I'm staring to think, cheese grater, sieve, collinder,.......LoL!

Zany, Looking forward to seeing your latest work of art, our gallery is the perfect place for it.

Inspired by Candee's Glads and frame, I made mine the old fashioned way with sticks!!

Thanks for the demo on the latte machine Sue! Think I've got the hang of it now.
Good idea to have a potting shed in the cafe gardens, we can all help out with the cuttings and seed sowing in there over winter. See you later.......

Coffs Harbour, Australia

well done Terri. thats exactly the type of arrangements I had in mind! Just use what you can! Still battling to find the right ingredients for mine yet. I'd better get a hurry on or the flowers I have will pass on!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Terri that is perfection. This is the mod of mod cafes - I love it so much in here I can hardly bring myself to leave. Here is my donation, kinda mod, not exactly what we are looking for but perhaps we can put it in a corner.

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Here is a different angle

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Gotta show off the lovely shades in the dahlia.
Perhaps someone could put this together in a more mod vase and it would look better.

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

BTW, if you haven't sucked down all that latte yet, might I have a sip? We are headed on a long drive today and I need all the caffeine I can get!

Hi Sue and Candee, Glad you like them, Thanks! Well Sue, my Glads are a bit past it but what the heck!!
Nice arrangement Candee, actually I've put it in the Ladies room! It looks beautiful in there, love those Dahlias!

Oh did I tell you ? we might be getting some 'Ladies' visiting for a bite to eat, we need to get some cucumber sandwiches made and some fresh cream cakes. Anyone got any fine teas?

To answer your earlier question Candee, personally I like the bar the way it is, we have lots of crystal already. I'd prefer to spend any spare money thats left over in the kitty on plants for the cafe! or any unexpected social events that might happen spontaniously (sp) ! Thats my feeling on the matter......

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, since this renovation has made the Cafe into a lovely modern lounge I would like to see us use new, modern glass and dinnerware. There are some lovely ones out there but the one I love (but can't afford in real life) is by Fire and Light. It is made from recycled glass and the colores are lovely. Since on the net I can pretend to be rich please let me donate a stock of their wares to the cafe.

Thumbnail by Zanymuse
Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

And of course...

Thumbnail by Zanymuse

Oh Thankyou Zany! They are gorgeous, so kind of you to donate them to the cafe!
I'm sure we will have some great times using all our mod stuff.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

You guys are doing such a nice job in the cafe'. Hopw lucky are we to have a good bunch of Glassy, oops I mean Classy Ladies to get things done! I must get on to that arrangement tomorrow. The flowers don't look their best, but I have others (I hope) still in the garden, so should be able to get it together!
Lets have that Latte Candee, when you get back. We can sit in the Ladies room and admirw those Dahlias. I think the Passionfruit flowers are pretty special too!
So, my rich friend Zany, lets Latte in those glass mugs eh?

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Latte's all around! I'll make mine a Mocha Latte with mint from the cafe's garden.

(Zone 6a)

Hi all, sorry I haven't been around lately, haven't been feeling so well. But I have been working on a project to make one of my plain walmart orchids more interesting.
The stake got painted green to match the plant, and the pot got painted blue and I painted the little clip that holds the flower stem blue aswell to match the pot. Hopefully it turns out well :)

I'll stop by again soon,
Steven

heres a pic of Miss Bruggy, I hear the Vegetable Plot Cafe wants to hire her as their latest act so maybe we can beat them to it?

Thumbnail by SW_gardener
Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Miss Bruggy is simply devine. She fits right in here and should not even consider the Veggie Cafe...When they say "Your so cute I could just eat you up" over there it is not just a nice expression...they mean it!

LoL Zany, and the veggie cafe.!!!! Mocca and mint sounds good, haven't tried that one!

Steven, Hi ... Sorry you haven't been feeling too well, same here!! Your project sounds interesting, you'll have to show us when you're feeling better. Oh yes Miss Brug looks the part in here, what a great find. well done! Nice to see you, I thought you were still at Sue's!!

Sue, don't worry about getting the arrangementsssssss done, in your own time...... no rush........ chillax!
We will still be here when you get around to it .!!

Someone will have to spend a bit of time showing Miss Brug how to operate the lattie machine, and we can see how she does on a trial basis..... ok?

(Zone 6a)

Thanks Terri :) I'll be sure to get some pictures! Hope you're feeling better soon :)

This lattie is pretty good! I think Miss Brug is going to work out fine. Better then Mizz Squash anyways...........she always used to pull on the push door.

Steven

Coffs Harbour, Australia

lOL, you guys are tooo funny! Raining here! I'm going to take a pic of my abysmal arrangement now, as I bought the vase and everything specially! I just can't get the time or find the right something to top it off!
I've put it by the windows so you can see it in the fading light! Any suggestions for size, type and colour of foliage or something to give it zing, please!

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Miss Bruggy looks like she has a lot of spunk! Should work out fine. Hope you are feeling better Steven, I think you musta got a bug doing that cyber travel. You know that a lot of folks end up sick after a holiday vacation, perhaps you overdid at Sue's? Well, just take it easy and pop back in when you feel better. There is so much to see here at the new cafe, you want to be "up to snuff" to take it all in.

Sue I think that "pops" just the way it is, simple lines, modern and a splash of color. Not sure I like it there in the fading light, think it would stand out better over by the bar where we have the black lights and darker wall, care to move it or shall we wait for more critics to decide?

I got a latte this morn. I think Miss Bruggy is a little bit shy with the froth as mine was a bit flat, but practice will make perfect.

Hi Sue, Had a great time over at your place, Thanks for that. I have some presents to give out but not until I have made my secret garden or I will be in BIG trouble!!!
OOOOOOOhhh BEAUTIFUL Bird of Paradise! Hardly ever see those here and if you do they cost an arm and a leg! So spectacular a flower, it really doesn't need tarting up with leaves!! I agree with Candee, there is too much going on in the background of your picture to really 'see' them properly. Nice one mate, simple but defo classy!! Thank you. (nice vase too).

Hi Steven, I'm feeling better, thanks and you?
Yeah I know what you mean about Miz Squash, she was a looker, but not really with it upstairs!!

Anyone tried out the new glass collection from our rich friend Zany?

Hello lurkers, you know who you are..Lol

This message was edited Oct 14, 2008 5:21 PM

Happy Birthday Flowertips!

Have a fun day, love you lots! xxxxxx

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Wow. Just discovered the new renovations. Think I need to get out my dressy dress and heels. Everythign looks so spify and elegant.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Lovely glass full Terri! Is that grevillea leaves I spy?
Hi Star, hows things in your neck of the woods?
Thanks for the recommendations for a back ground change. I might try it in photo shop, as I just can't get a good pic without good light! (It's always dark when I'm indoors!)
Black, you say?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

That is a fabulous drink concoction you have created there Terri. The white froth is just the topping for our lovely new crystal.
Hi there Star, do change into something more comfy and sleek as this new cafe just oozes with class and vibrant color!
Sue I was thinkin over by the darker wall with the black light where it would be highlighted. May need to try a few spots as we want to highlight the vase as well. Near the window just tends to make my eye wander past it outside and that doesn't do it justice.

Hope everyone has a great week and weekend, we are headed to the cabin later this afternoon to hunt. It is muzzleloader season (that would be hunting the Davey Crockett way with black powder rifles). Will be sure to take my boots off before coming back in the cafe on Saturday or Sunday!

Hi Star! Nice to see you, glad you found us. I've found your fancy heels for you! see you later when you're all dressed up?

Hi Sue and Candee, Thanks! They are Grevillea leaves Sue, no pretty flowers from the plant this year, maybe it wasn't warm enough? Have a good weekend Candee, hope it's not too quiet around here when you're gone, I always miss you!!

Coffs Harbour, Australia

OK, took your advice and did the black background. I also added a couple more flowers to fill it up. How does it go now?

Thumbnail by weed_woman

OHH LAA! That is a MODERN arrangement Sue, Lovely! I like the addition of more flowers, it's like a totem pole of Paradise. Even the negative space (around the flowers) is Angular!! Well done mate!

Hello everyone! The lattie machine is out of order....... I don't know what MIZZ BRUGGY has done to it!!! Please lend us your metalic kettles, coffee and tea pots!

Sue, I'm having a bit of trouble with the 'olive' feature wall!!! It's just not my cup of tea... LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.