Photo by Melody

Article: Biochar: Good for your garden AND your carbon footprint!: Interesting

Communities > Forums > Article: Biochar: Good for your garden AND your carbon footprint!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Biochar: Good for your garden AND your carbon footprint!Replies: 9, Views: 67
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2008
12:43 PM

Post #5646367

How interesting. I hadn't heard of this. But again, seems like we find so many natural processes are the way to go. Think of the 'biochar' that used to be created by small wildfires in N America.

About how much did you pay for your cowboy charcoal?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2008
12:58 PM

Post #5646408

I paid something under $5 at least 3 years ago... but I saw it in Lowe's just 2 days ago for around $6-$7.
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

October 8, 2008
2:01 PM

Post #5646637

Darius, Thank you for all the reading and investingating you do for us. I always enjoy your articles and intend to consider this as an amendment to my garden beds.

Pam

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 8, 2008
2:29 PM

Post #5646744

Thanks, Pam. I hope to see a big improvement in the growth of the fruit bushes I transplanted yesterday with some biochar. Also, I'm tilling in a bunch before putting my veggie bed to rest for the winter.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 8, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #5647004

Very interesting. I've never heard of using this before now but my soil is on the alkaline side so I'm not sure that it would be good for me. I'll wait for more research. Thanks Darius.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #5647018

I appreciate your research into things I never would have thought of! Thank you, Darius. I have quite a store of ideas to try!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #5647327

This is a very interesting article. Gardenmermaid had sent me an article on this right after Hurricane Katrina because I had so much down timber. But it sounded difficult and expensive to buy the necessary equipment.
Anything you can find that will show me how to make biochar more easily would be very helpful. The farm is covered with timber and there are always down trees and limbs. It would be wonderful if I could use them in such an environmentally friendly way. The only way we can dispose of them now is by burning which I really hate to do, but it is important to clean up down wood for several reasons.
Alkalinity would be a plus on my farm -- the soil is very acid.
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 9, 2008
6:05 AM

Post #5649928

darius, thank you for keeping the biochar topic on the radar!
I'm trying to find the link...there was a website with a photo series of someone making biochar in the backyard. They had inserted the perforated basket from a washing machine into a hole in the ground, then lit the fire, then used the lid from a weber grill over that hole to make the charcoal. The weber grill lid had a vent to control air flow. If I ever find that site again, I'll post it here for you.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

October 9, 2008
12:45 PM

Post #5650373

Thanks... I have that link, and several others including some videos, for making biochar. What I want to make is a retort burner that burns the off-gases as fuel rather than becoming atmospheric waste.

I also want to enlist someone who does bokashi to do some experiments...
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 9, 2008
5:18 PM

Post #5651479

Ooooh! Do keep us posted on this experiment. Sounds wonderful.
Hopefully I can manifest a home with an attached yard soon so I can help you with the experiments.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Biochar: Good for your garden AND your carbon footprint! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You're on to something... Sundownr 7 Apr 18, 2009 2:28 AM
Great phicks 3 Oct 13, 2008 11:41 PM
The Rest of the Biochar Story: erichj 18 Nov 6, 2010 7:16 PM
Look foward to more info Allwild 1 Oct 14, 2008 6:49 PM
Getting started dave 9 Jun 13, 2012 10:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America