We have moved in .... Now What ?

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

Well were officially moved in
I still have lots to do
DH is coming home from Korea . That will be a big help so i can get things done. he is a great help .
I m sick and so is my DD . She and i are a bit grumpy and tired . So yo may not see me for awhile :(
I will try and keep up with the inside projects with this thread .
We did have black mold on our furniture , so we will get new soon .
Keep popping in to see what comes next in this adventure for us
blessings
sue and family

Thumbnail by taynors
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'm so glad your DH is coming home from Korea. Will he be here long? No wonder you and DD are sick, Sue. You have both been thru a lot the past year. And uncovering the mold exposed you to more of it which was bad for your health. I pray you are better soon.

New furniture, that's an extra bonus. Also an extra expense. Don't forget Craig's List, FreeCycle, thrift stores, auctions, used furniture stores, etc. Like new furniture is often available for pennies on the dollar. If you like a piece of furniture but not the color, don't forget furniture covers or a trip to the upholstery shop for custom picked upholstery. Or a perfect wood item that just needs a bit of refinishing.

GOD bless and keep you and yours.

Thanks Leaf. :) your so sweet .
I think the timing is right for DH to come home . He will be here until another job opens up for him. Might be weeks or it might be months . Just depends on the economy right now. Who would have thought it would go all the way over to Asia this bad ecomomy ?
Yep i love the old stuff and refurnish . buy cheap and make it look new again :)
take caer
sue

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

Hang in there Sue, your health is most important! glad you got rid of that black mold!

some of the bears that i collect

Thumbnail by taynors

more bears

Thumbnail by taynors

I love those... are they wood carvings? they are soo adorable!

UHhhh i have no idea if they are wood ? they feel like wood but could be a resin ?

they are so adorable! I'll need to see if I can find some around here....maybe in Yosemite! lol!

I have a funny story about a bear... ^_^

I took my kids camping in Yosemite, and my 5 yo son is just like his momma and LOVES to take pictures. So he and I were always fighting over whos 'turn' it is to take a picture.
well, we came across a black bear in a meadow. I took a pix, then son wanted to take a pix, but the bear started walking away by then....he was partially hidden behind some trees.

so, when we came home and developed the pictures...my 5yo son exclaimed "Oh NO! I got a picture of a Bear Butt!" LOLOL...

Son is now 12 yo, and we still tease him about his 'naughty picture' lol.... he also has his OWN camera now! LOL

LOL that is funny
AAAhhh yes i remember camping in Yosemite . I grew up in Palo Alto . We had a bear steal my brothers underwear. Now what would a bear be doing iwth underwear ? we never did find out. lol
glad your son loves photography

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Time for some Updated Pics Sue...Get with the program here Girlie!!!
I am blessed to be able to drool in person, but the rest need to see how things are progressing... LOL

OK
i think i can do it
sorry my bad

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Just enjoy your new home! I know how much has to be done when you move. We all know what your house looks like anyhow with all the pictures over the past months.
Have a Great Day!
Bernie

thanks
but i got some new ones to share :)
looking out my backyard through my kitchen window

Thumbnail by taynors

here we are digging the mulch
what a job that was
all of the family got involved lol
even my 81 yr old MIL got a shovel and was working
well i cant find them pics so here is an area we did . this is the hosta garden in the back yard and i m hoping to make a froggy boggy hollow in this are

Thumbnail by taynors

More tree's lol
they all look the same after awhile don't they ? lol
i wish i could find them other pics huh ? well get some next time
i shall take pics of Dh doing things around the house and outside.
No drooling Dusty !!!!!

Thumbnail by taynors
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

The hosta area looks lovely. I have some that will take a lot of light that would look good in there. A frog bog would be good because slugs love most hosta and frogs like to eat slugs(I think). Even grasshoppers are good if you have a slug problem. Grasshopper larvae eat slug eggs or something like that. We certainly had enough grasshoppers this year to put a good dent in a slug population. We really had very few slugs.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

thanks Leaf :)

here are some deer that are frequent visitors on our homestead.
I love the deer. We have many
of course when i do my garden i won't be loving the deer
Dh came home for 3 months. He left on Jan 3 and is back in china. in Quigong ?
been busy with kids in school
get GH up
get firewood for the season
odds and ends in house ect.
but things are going well for us

Thumbnail by taynors

some pics of the weather in our woods
i like the snow on the tree's very pretty i think

Thumbnail by taynors

christmas morning
is it real doggie ?
nope just a battery one ,
i like it.... no poop

Thumbnail by taynors

where is the driveway ?
we got 6 inches of snow last week and -20 for several days , no school and we were inside for 4 days .

Thumbnail by taynors

Tims new toy

Thumbnail by taynors

building the raised beds

Thumbnail by taynors

the new garden

Thumbnail by taynors

the claw
this helps with removing logs that are dead on the ground
a very helpful tool

Thumbnail by taynors
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I love the pictures. Thanks for sharing with us.

your welcome

Social Circle, GA(Zone 8a)

You have come a long way! I think I missed some in between stuff!

I lost track of the thread ( my bad) with DH home i got side tracked .
Then i rearranged my photos in my files and i can't find half of them ? uhg.
So that is another project. LOL on the list
glad you joined us
blessings
sue

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

I enjoy hearing how things are going on other folks places. Keep posting Sue!

Ok i will
maybe i should move the thread to the homestead forum or farm life ?
eh i can keep it here
today is a inside kinda day
kids are sick
good night
sue

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Nice to hear from you Sue.
How's the new house ?
Bet it was nice having your hubby around over the holidays.
Now that you are a country gal, you might want to join us on the farm journal thread.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/939044/
Lots of good people on there & some interesting items.

I hope yours kids are better soon. Stomach flu went through he a week ago. I think I was the only one that didn't get it.

Have a great evening,
Bernie

Thanks Bernie :)
i have been lurking in their from time to time.
I always learn something new.
stay healthy
good night everyone
sue

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Come out of your lurking!

ok
tomorrow i will :)
good night
hugs
sue

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

So good to see you posting again. I have missed you and wondered how things were going with you guys. Glad to see you are moving right along. Hope you are all well soon. We wnet through a bout of illness as well. I put off going to the doc until it hurt too much to breathe. Thought for sure I had pneumonia. Turned out I had some infection, a respiratory virus and asthma. I am much better now but I will be so glad when the weather warms up. I can hardly wait til Spring. I am busy planning my Spring garden and trading seeds. You should visit the seed trading forum and get ready to fill those nice looking beds you have there. Are you any closer to getting those sheep you were wanting?

Thank you Cajun :)
we are still battling the sickness. We were healthy for about a month and then it hit us again. The kids are really toughing it out. 103 fevers and severe coughing. Today is a snow day. So we sit inside and do inside things.
Tomorrow looks like another snow day as well. :( they are predicting up to 10 " of snow in some areas. Yikes. Then an ice storm . YIkes again.
I m glad you didn't have pneumonia either. That is a hard one to recover from. Glad your feeling better :) T&P to you.
I too am looking forward to spring. RU 's also !!! maybe this year i can get to the KY RU.
No we are not doing animals this year :( we are dedicating time and $$ to get out of some debts. We need to sell our trailer and pay off our skid steer . Then our only debt is our home and basic utilities. We are going Dave Ramsey style !!! LOL
i was hoping for chickens but to get all set up with a coop and such will not be in the budget .
I m going to put alot of our scrap wood and left over log home D-logs in the cheap cycle and free cycle and then some on craigs list To help pay off some bills .
We will hope to do the farmers market if i get some good crops . :)
stay well
hugs
sue

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Chicken pens are pretty easy to make and chickens are not expensive to keep. You might be able to use some of your scraps you plan on getting rid of to anchor a couple of cattle panel hoop houses and keep a half to a dozen laying hens. They are the easiest animals to start with and the return of eggs is very satisfying. Cattle panels can be bought for around 15 dollars at the home improvement chains or TSC. Then you'll need one roll of regular chicken wire to close in the ends. You won't use it all so you'll have it for other projects. It's not real expensive either. I use salvaged plastic milk crates for nests. It could get you into animals a year early. Just something to think about. I know your kids would really enjoy them.

I have a hen setting on eggs now. She is a young hen. She had just started laying about 3 weeks when she went broody. She is a bantam but I wanted bigger hens for bigger eggs so I got some big stock eggs from a friend and switched hers for them. She never missed a beat. All she can cover is 5 of the large eggs but she is doing a great job with them. The chicks will be either Domoniques or RIRs. Either will be fine with me.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Tay...
Yup, when $ tight, it's good to stay away from the animals. Focus on growing food, a $3 packet of seeds and your time can produce a benefit not only for you, but any surplus could be sold/traded to friends or at the local flea market or ? You know what's available in your area.

When money was tight (like nearly non-existent) what I did was figure out what veggies we actually ate the most of (lettuce, greens, tomatoes, peppers) and that's what I grew. You're in the same zone I am, so go with short season tomatoes, forget the beefmaster and brandywine. It's money in the pocket, every mouthful you raise.

Hang tough...
Jay

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images