ID's? please?

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Dang dogs got in my ginger bed and I lost tags :{ I know I've recieved Daniel Weeks, Pink V. , Kinkaku and a 'Shell' can anyone tell the difference? This and the following should be 2 different varieties but seem to have the same jasmine like scent.

Our PlantFiles section on Gingers really needs some help!
Thanks,
Vi

Thumbnail by violabird
Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Ginger 2 Iooks pretty similar, any ideas?

This is killing me, I'm still waiting on Kahili and hope Elizabeth is a pure pink. Our PlantFiles barely even tells if any of these are fragrant.

This message was edited Oct 9, 2008 11:00 PM

Thumbnail by violabird
Gainesville, FL

that looks like Pink V to me. Daniel Weeks is not pink, its yellow. Elizabeth is a deep pink, much more pink than that. I have Elizabeth, Pink V and D Weeks, That looks like Pink V. Shell ginger has a totally differnt type of bloom than your photo...your photo is a hedychium, shell gingers are alpinias

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

So you think both are the same? If so, I will put it in PF since no photos exist, will you do it too?. Thanks so much gothqueen--I'd reallyl ike to see your photos.

Are Elizabeth and D.Weeks just as fragrant?

Gainesville, FL

I don;t want to post these photos in the Plant Files because the blooms are nearing being spent and are not perfect. Maybe next bloom cycle, LOL or if I can figure out how to post old photos from Photobucket.
This is Pink V

Thumbnail by gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

This is Elizabeth

Thumbnail by gothqueen
Gainesville, FL

This is Daniel Weeks

Thumbnail by gothqueen
Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks so much!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Can anyone tell which one this is... It has a nice fragrence ...Please...
Thanks Dave

Thumbnail by Pughbear7
Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

Gothqueen that is a great photo of Elizabeth! She is a nice pink.

Gainesville, FL

Thank you, Angel! The man who developed Elizabeth, as well as many other hedychium hybrids, lives in my area. His name is Dr. Tom Wood. Neat guy. Elizabeth is the deepest pink hedychium, I think. There are some other pinks but they are lighter, like Pink Sparks.

Incidentally, Daniel Weeks was also developed here in Gainesville by the gentleman who used to run a nursery called Gainesville Tree Farm. His name escapes me, even though I met him several times. Daniel Weeks was an employee of his who helped run his business. I met Daniel several times as well, nice guy too!

Lowndesboro, AL(Zone 8a)

Gothqueen how lucky for you, right in the midst of all those hedy hybridizers! Magnificent pic of Elizabeth, I can truly see the raspberry color that is always mentioned in the description.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Amen to that ! Lucky you!!

GQ, could you get those guys to update our Plantfiles?

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

That's really cool gothqueen! You must live in the right place for gingers. I think I like the Elizabeth the best of the hedys , mostly because I am partial to pink.

Vi, I agree someone should update them. Not me, I'm still learning, although I've collected a lot of gingers by now lol! Course there's sooo many more out there.....

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

gothqueen, I've seen some of your plant photos and you have some really cool and unusual plants!

Gainesville, FL

Thank you Lili! I guess I have been collecting for a bit

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images