Photo by Melody

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Just stick fresh cut flowers in a vase!

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 181, Views: 964
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 10, 2008
4:48 AM

Post #5653856

Just stick fresh cut flowers in a vase!

This theme came from a comment made by someone, ... Let's see yours!

Nasturtiums, Fuschia, Roses,Michalmas daisy, Dahlia

This message was edited Oct 10, 2008 6:12 AM

Thumbnail by terriculture
Click the image for an enlarged view.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 20, 2008
10:11 PM

Post #5696187

Now that is some "just stickin it" Terri! Lovely touch all around.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 20, 2008
10:29 PM

Post #5696249

Thank you Candee! Have you got anything flowering to stick in?
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 20, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #5696382

Nope, think my bloom days are bout over after that sneaky nasty frost last night. Just stick and stones to work with! Will look tomorrow and see if there is any tinsy thing left, but doubt it as another frost this evening and all I saw when taking in the dahlia pots was a hardy geranium, one coneflower and one jupiters beard which will likely be gone, but I shall look for you friend!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2008
4:22 AM

Post #5717225

Hi! Guess who? How are ya'll! I don't know if I told you already, but I am finally retired and I love it. I have almost forgotten what is is like to have to get up and go to work every day... And I hardly remember when DH had to go to work. He has already been retired over a year now!

Well, I have finally gotten to use my flowers in a few arrangements and I thought of ya'll and took pics of the last three I did! These were done Wednesday...

Thumbnail by yardqueen1948

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2008
4:26 AM

Post #5717229

Close up... These are Dahlias, Celosia, and leaves from Cosmos, Skyflower, and Hibiscus acetella (sp)

This message was edited Oct 25, 2008 11:31 PM

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2008
4:27 AM

Post #5717231

These are from my yard, is that appropriate for this thread?
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2008
4:37 AM

Post #5717254

and these are pink and white cosmos, Endless Summer hydrangea, pink penta, and skyflower leaves

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2008
4:39 AM

Post #5717259

Close up...

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2008
4:44 AM

Post #5717269

Last one... These are Roses, Skyflower, and mums

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2008
4:52 AM

Post #5717290

clsoe up...

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2008
4:56 AM

Post #5717296

I cut them Wednesday right before we had a storm, and I knew they would not be pretty after that! Winds were so high the blew the blooms right off my brugs, white butterfly gingers look beaten, and the cosmos were blown over. There are no flowers left on the roses. I guess everything else is ok...
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 26, 2008
3:29 PM

Post #5718146

Hi YQ, I was only thinking about you yesterday!
This is the thread for your Beautiful flowers in vases, although any thread will do, it's always nice to hear from you!
So you are offically a lady of lesuire now LoL!

Your flowers are lovely! I especially like the celosa's and Hydrangea , so pretty!
Good idea to pick the flowers to show us before the storm.
You still have lots flowering then.. great! How are the Cannas doing? Please keep posting your flowers, either bought or home grown!

There's a fairy cake in the Flowerpot cafe with your name on it!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 26, 2008
7:13 PM

Post #5718844

It might take you a while to find your fairy cake in the cafe, especially if you are on dial up!

Thanks for the flowers, here's your cake!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2008
11:46 PM

Post #5719879

Congrats on your new life, one of these days I'll get there as well. Looks like you are putting your leisure to good use in the gardens. I love those dahlias and the dark leaves at the base are a tremendous highlight. Keep posting we love it!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2008
3:47 AM

Post #5720549

Terri,

Thank you for the compliments re my flowers. I still have some flowers, but not for long. We began moving stuff to the greenhouse today. Of course I always have stuff that blooms in there too, but usually not enough to make an arrangement, and sometimes it wouldn't be the right stuff... The cannas did terrible this year... They may need dividing. I don't know but they need something! They bloomed once and then no more except maybe a couple now and then.

I am not on dial up. I have very fast speed now. Thank you for the cake! It is lovely and I had a piece and it was yummy! I don't know what you put in it, but it isn't plain vanilla! I can't quite identify the flavor though...
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2008
4:03 AM

Post #5720590

Candee,

Yes, I am very happy to be retired! It is really great. I have a lot of help in the gardens. DH does almost all of the physical stuff. And of course I am the brains! LOL sorry, I just had to say that... I still do work hard out there (as far as I am able) but he is MUCH more physically fit than I am... And I suffer a lot when I spend a few hours out there.

The dark leaves with the Dahlias are Hibiscus acetosella. The bushes are trying to bloom before it freezes, but I am not sure they will make it. They put way too much energy into growth! I almost fell over laughing when I went around the corner of the house and saw them. I had not been out in the yard for a good while as it was soooo hot. Well those bushes had not been 2 ft tall the last time I saw them, and they were reaching up to the roof and spilling out on the lawn. I took a pic the other day, and I call it "The Blob." I don't know if you have ever heard or an old horror movie by that title or not but the pic looks like the Blob is eating my house!

This message was edited Oct 26, 2008 11:04 PM

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2008
4:08 AM

Post #5720604

This is how I expected them to look...

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2008
4:10 AM

Post #5720609

ooops... I will try again...

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2008
12:00 PM

Post #5721083

Yep, heard of The Blob and you know that is descriptive but not quite, cause they are beautiful even if spilling over and swallowing up your house! Even if they don't bloom the foilage is striking.
Such a turnaround at our house as I do most of the physical stuff, mowing and all cause Steve is not as able. He looks big and strong and still does way more than he should - likely same as you - so I know what you mean.
Have a great day!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2008
12:54 PM

Post #5721227

Thanks! you too!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 4, 2008
10:14 AM

Post #5750264

Hi Yardqueen, My goodness!! What have you been feeding the blob? haha! Has it got any flowers on it yet?
Fabulous foliage, imagine what you could arrange with all that, Lucky you.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 4, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #5751377

Hi Yardqueen - that is one big plant you got there. That is a new plant for me - and I would also have been lead astray by the smaller photo and expected it to be nice and compact. I also have not heard of Skyflower. Can you post a picture of the whole plant? Since you still have flowers, please consider posting them on the Yard to vase thread - fall and winter series - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/919760/

I would love to see what you have blooming this time of the year. And congratulations on your retirement! Dianne
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 4, 2008
6:30 PM

Post #5751565

Terri- I did not feed the blob! I used the foliage in the arrangement with the Dahlias. I read it is also edible... Read the comments on this link...

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2112/

Soils- I don't have flowers now! It got down to 31* and they are history! Here is a pic of a skyflower bush in my yard...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 12, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #5779885

Hi Yardqueen!
Thanks for the link, I had no idea the leaves were edible, how interesting!
Have you got your Christmas baskets dusted and ready to go? LoL!!

Here's an arrangement just stuck in a vase! Contrasting colours with spring flowers to brighten up the gloomy winter days we are now having!
First I placed the flowers in a fabric collar, then in a vase.
Iris, Alstromeria and Tulips

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 12, 2008
12:07 AM

Post #5779895

View from above...

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2008
12:20 AM

Post #5779953

Pretty and springlike! Of course you must have bought them. All of my flowers are gone now, so if I have any they will be bought too... I did just buy some 3 beautiful Christmas cactus or cacti... LOL but they are growing plants, not cut flowers.

In answer to your question about Christmas baskets, in a word NO!!!! I do not ever want to do any Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving. NONE... I can only do one holiday at a time... :-)
ANd I am not quite ready for Thanksgiving yet. I am just getting warmed up to it. We have discussed the menu. I did get the mincemeat for DH's pie. and some pumpkin and evaporated milk for the pumpkin pie. I do the Turkey & Dressing & pies. The kids (all grown and married) do the rest. Do ya'll do Thanksgiving?
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 12, 2008
12:38 AM

Post #5780033

In a word NO!!! we don't do Thanksgiving over here, and I can't remember from last year (you told me already) when is Thanksgiving? Sounds like you are pretty organised with the preparations anyway.

Snap on the flowers, mine are all gone too! It will be shop flowers for me for a long time!!
Love Christmas Cactus, you're lucky to have the light to grow them. What time does it get dark where you are?
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2008
1:19 AM

Post #5780248

Early now with winter coming on and with Daylight Savings Time. What a dumb name!!! Saves no Daylight to me... LOL and if it did, when would we get it back? LOL

I can't say what time it GETS dark, but it is already dark here at 7 and has been dark for at least an hour. In summer it is still light at 9. The sun is far to the south already. They are in a bay window on the south side... the dining room! There is a coral, a fushia pink, and a red! :-)

I know you don't have Thanksgiving! It is supposed to have started with the pilgrims and the Indians... which you don't have... LOL Do ya'll have another holiday at this time of year to have a big dinner, before Christmas. I do wish they weren't so close together! Just a month apart. And then there is New Years a week after Christmas, and we have a big dinner then for our son's BD.

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #5780259

picture doesn't do the coral color justice...

This is the pink

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5780276

the red

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 12, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #5780597

Ladies, what lovelies you all have there!

Here's my last of this fall seasons' "just stick it in a vase"... well, make that a mason jar that you all cannot see!! LOL! They are a very tall and late blooming HARDY garden mum of mine and still blooming in my garden today even after a hard frost! (I know winter is just around the corner when these lovelys pop open.)

I wish I could remember the varietys name.. Enjoy!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 13, 2008
3:21 PM

Post #5786120

Hi Blossombuddy! Thanks for sharing your beautiful Chrysanths, they look really good!
The slugs and snails have them for breakfast in my garden!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 13, 2008
3:27 PM

Post #5786143

Hi Yardqueen, Your plants are so pretty!
Well, it's DH Birthday tomorrow, so are are going out for dinner! Usually do that every year!!
Apart from that, there's no holidays until Christmas. It's dark here at 4.30pm now. Hate it!!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 13, 2008
3:48 PM

Post #5786235

Terri,

I hope your DH has a happy birthday! Where will you go to eat? What kind of food? I love to go out to eat. We go every Sunday after Church and other times with the kids and grandkids...

TTYL
Carol
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 13, 2008
5:37 PM

Post #5786627

Well, we haven't booked yet! He does like spicey food, so we will probably go for a Indian Curry with the girls. They both like the mild coconut one!

TTYL is that talk to you later? see I'm learning the lingo now!!
I learnt a new word the other day ... Boonies!!!! I love that one!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 13, 2008
8:12 PM

Post #5787131

Boonies... How was it used? Like "I live out in the boonies?"
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 13, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #5787764

Yes, she said it meant living in the countryside. I think it's a funny word!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2008
5:59 AM

Post #5789193

Comes from "Down in the boondocks" I think? But I am not sure of that. But when you say you live in the boonies, it is the same as saying you live in the sticks...
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2008
5:40 PM

Post #5797700

lol, boonies, sticks, country bumpkins is what we say here.
Hello blossombuddy - mason jars make great vases, I use them to sit inside baskets to hold the water and flowers.
yardqueen, nice cactus you have, I never could keep them thriving here, but love seein them.
T-day I cannot believe is just around the corner, I am old, but still do all the cooking and baking, but for Christmas Steve and I do a getaway week for ourselves and no gift shopping except for the grandbabies. The kids all come here for Thanksgiving and then to their inlaws for Christmas.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2008
5:10 AM

Post #5799827

Haighr, those cactus are easy to grow...they are native to my state. They will grow in yours! All ya need is some really poor soil! They are winter hardy and beleive me, we get the snow here! I have paddie cuttings available just about all year. I wish I could find a similiar variety in pink or red to compliment them...

My mums are pretty hardy too. No slugs or snails here. The frogs take care of that problem!! At our old farm we used to have about 70 varieties of the hardys but the darned floods here killed most of then after we moved them here. This variety in the photo gets about three feet tall. Nice for a cutting flower.

My pets now are mostly daylilies...not much for a cut flower since the bloomers only last a day, but a wonderful garden buddy!

Enjoy!

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2008
5:13 AM

Post #5799833

Beeyoootiful!!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2008
1:07 PM

Post #5800323

Scrumptious colors. Perhaps I will try the cactus one of these days again, I do have all the poor soil I can get my hands on LOL! Right now my tropicals have the room filled to the brim so best wait until spring has sprung again.
TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

November 19, 2008
4:57 PM

Post #5809000

Fall stuck-in-a-glass photo:

Thumbnail by TsFlowers

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2008
6:51 PM

Post #5809376

Very pretty purples you have there ts flowers and welcome, nice to have you share your vase of lovelies. You should stop over and visit our cafe some time, bet you could sparkle the place up with those purples.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 22, 2008
12:02 AM

Post #5817405

cough cough, what do you mean you are old Candee? and there you go galavanting in the woods this weekend again!!

Blossombuddy, your mums are really gorgeous! Next year I WILL plant more for late colour, Thanks for the lovely picture. Do you still have flowers in the garden now?

TsFlowers, Really nice arrangement, what is the red leaf? I like the way you have grouped / blocked the plant material, very much.Thanks for sharing your fall in a glass!

Hi Yardqueen! whats happening in your neck of the woods? Is your greenhouse full up yet?? LOL!
TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

November 22, 2008
3:35 AM

Post #5818132

Ummm...that's not really an arrangement. But thanks anyway. I was just running around the garden quickly cutting a few more things to take to the farmer's market to fill in small bouquets and I just stuck them in a glass. They kinda fell in that way and I thought heck, that doesn't look too bad, so I snapped a photo. I make lots of mini bouquets for the farmer's market (usually at the market) and I just love using coleus foliage in my bouquets, or to border the bottom of the bouquet.
TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

November 22, 2008
3:37 AM

Post #5818137

P.S. I just posted the photo here because of the title "Just stick cut flowers in a vase". And that's what I did, "stick them", except it was a glass instead of a vase.
TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

November 22, 2008
3:48 AM

Post #5818165

I re-read your post terri and the stuff I think you are talking about is coleus foliage. Because of a high amount of traffic at the farmer's market, I couldn't back away from my table to get a good photo of this bouquet. It also has coleus foliage and the two colors combined great. However, I don't really like the bouquet and probably would do it over. [It sold though with no problems, so...] But I'm always pressed for time and usually put things together very quickly.

Thumbnail by TsFlowers

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2008
4:49 AM

Post #5818272

Terri,

Just enjoying the grandkids and retirement! Yes the greenhouse is full and I am aquiring more as we speak! one of these days I will have to cut down... I am trying to do more perennials, but I can't ever completely give up my tropicals!

How are things going you you? Any new baskets? Ooopps I sorry I brought that up! LOL
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2008
4:53 AM

Post #5818282

TS,

those colors really are great together! I really love those dahlias, and that coleus is a really pretty one. What is the cultivar? I have similar, but not exactly and it is really a cool one!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 22, 2008
9:46 PM

Post #5820303

ts, those are beauties, great color.
TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

November 22, 2008
10:22 PM

Post #5820419

Thanks...but I'm sorry I don't know the coleus variety off-hand. And I about cried after making that post, just then realizing that I hadn't taken cuttings of all my coleus this year. I just do not like the cold and was so busy while it was warmer that I just didn't get it done. I'm pretty sure I put the plant spike in the ground. If I happen to make it out there, I'll see if I can find the plant spike. Was an expensive new one this year, and I could kick myself for forgetting to take cuttings.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 24, 2008
12:37 AM

Post #5824040

TsFlowers, The person who bought your 'stick in a vase' got a bargain! Nice coleus.
I would love to visit your stall and see all your 'stick in a vase' because you certainly have a good eye for combining colours and textures, this may come naturally to you because you have a talent for it !!
By the way, I don't like half the things I churn out, but someone else might 'see' somethiing in it that I don't LOL! Don't be too hard on yourself about the cuttings, there's always next year!

Hi Yardqueen, good to hear you are having a nice time and keeping well.
You are the basket case around here darling lol no one plays baskets anymore not fair!!!!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2008
2:57 AM

Post #5824539

I don't think I have any new ones since last Christmas... I know last year we had fun playing dueling baskets!!! LOL
TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

November 24, 2008
3:12 AM

Post #5824606

Thank you terri, that's a very sweet compliment. And that's funny that you say that, because that's what a lot of my customers say. I'm thankful because I enjoy it (except sometimes when I get *very* rushed and haven't had a good nights sleep because I spent all the previous day and night getting ready). I do think it is a gift from God because I've never had any training at all, although I would like that and think I could learn a lot. I don't know even much about forms or structure.

I don't know that I'd ever win any competitions for a floral arrangement, that perhaps you might because you have some very nice ones. But I've had to learn to work under pressure and speed. So if there were any competitions where buckets of flowers were set in front of you and you had to arrange all of them as quickly as possible into bouquets, perhaps I could win one of those. LOL.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2008
12:51 PM

Post #5825412

I think you do a splendid job of throwing them together tsflowers. You have more talent than you give yourself credit. It is all in the eye and you have a good one whether you know it or not.
TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

November 24, 2008
2:14 PM

Post #5825641

Thanks haighr, that's a very sweet compliment too! :)
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 27, 2008
4:51 PM

Post #5835927

TsFlowers, LoL love the idea of having a speed competition, that would be FUN!
Candee would be there all day LOL!!!
Have you used floral foam to make arrangements? that really helps with structure, as you are in control and the material 'obeys'!!! it should stay in the exact position you want it, if the 'mechanics' are done properly.
Stick around here TsFlowers we have fun trying out different ideas all the time LOL!

Queen of Yards! Basketcase! How about a basket makeover thread?????
Post your basket, then post the makeover? no excuses LOL!!
TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

November 27, 2008
7:14 PM

Post #5836310

I only use floral foam once in a great while. I use *all* garden flowers that I grow myself (noththing commercial) and most have very weak stems and are a pain in the batoot to try to stick in foam. I guess I'm not patient enough (or actually no money in it) to sit and make holes with another object to insert stems. Always in a hurry because my work load is *very* heavy. Most times I actually arrange my bouquets in my hand and not in a vase. However, when my candelabra type lilies are in bloom, I generally always make short bouquets with those using floral foam. I dug up one of those lily bulbs one time and I bet the bulb was 5"+ in diameter...just huge. When they get that large they send up huge stems with many many buds, and many of the buds are on a 6" to 8" stem. I have Black Beauty (deep red), Rubrum (I call rose-pink) and Henryi (orange with green star center -- very nice). I arrange those in cups (with foam) or those small decorative buckets that I can get at Dollar General often for a dollar (and line those with plastic baggies and foam and some actually come with a short 2" liner). I of course have to sell those for more. In our area customers won't spend much on bouquets and many are college students but love to have flowers in their rooms. I try to keep my small bouquets at $3 or $3.50 so have to put them together quickly (and make a lot of them) to make any money. (And Walmart sells commercial bunches for $4 so have to compete with that.) The lily bouquets are a lot more expensive because they require more time and I have a lot more cost in them. For my small bouquets I go to the recycle and get various jars to put my bouquets in. I hate sending flowers home with a customer out of water, except for my single stem Asiatic, Oriental and LA lilies, or cockscomb bunches (both keep extremely well). And I have a lot of customers return the jars, so that is nice. So really, I have very little time to make *arrangements*. But I know I would enjoy that...seeing how creative I could be with what's available.

In fact, on the post about "last fall bunch", had I not dreaded the outdoor cold so much, I was tempted to go out and get some of that *dead* stuff (lol...as I heard another person post and had a good laugh) and see what I could do since the market is over for the season. Some of the shrubs have colorful leaves and/or berries.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 27, 2008
8:47 PM

Post #5836453

Ah ha, yes I can see now how difficult and time consuming it would be to use garden flowers.
I have the same trouble with the garden stems, far too flimsy for oasis!!
It sounds like you have loads of flowers, it must be wonderful in your garden!

I bought a couple of bunches at the supermarket today, I'll be back later with them stuck in a vase!

This message was edited Nov 27, 2008 8:54 PM
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

November 28, 2008
11:09 AM

Post #5837603

My batteries ran out! charging them now lol.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 2, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #5851097

Chrysanths

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 2, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #5851108

Solidago,Chrysanths,pearl bead sticks,underwater roses and gold ribbon tied onto the vase.

TsFlowers
Delphi, IN

December 2, 2008
6:25 PM

Post #5851297

Very beautiful. Reminds me of fall bouquets that I do. I use yellow garden mums and coleus foliage that's a deep purple/brown with highlights of peach/orange and green and put spiky stems of ornamental millet in center. I thought I had snapped a photo, but can't find it.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2008
7:31 PM

Post #5851447

And a partridge in a pear tree LOL! Stunning Terri and love the petals in the vase!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 2, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #5852293

Thanks you too! I would love to see more of your bouquets TsFlowers. Next year maybe you will have time to take some pics the night before you sell? Do you have ornamental millet now? is that like wheat?
Glad you liked the petals in the vase, they WERE my lovely roses that someone put in the warmest room ever while I was out !!! mr nobodyowningup y'know!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 12, 2008
10:12 PM

Post #5885670

Yardqueen, come back!! promise I won't mention baskets LOL!
Merry Christmas! How is the decorating coming along?

Carnations and Alstromeria stuck in a jug of water.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 12, 2008
10:13 PM

Post #5885672

Orchid.

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2008
3:48 AM

Post #5886774

And Merry Christmas to you Terri! And to everyone else here also!

Decorating is basically done! Almost made a basket case out of ME though! I really still just have to do the dining room and the breakfast room and that is not too hard. I already did the lighted garland in the DR, but not the table. I still need to do the garland in the BR and the table also. Not a single present under the tree though! Not one gift bought! I kind of like my tree this year... I do it different every year, with maybe a repeat of one I really like every once in a while, but not the very next year. I always come up with some idea for something different. This years is basically pine cones, berries, holly & stuff like that with some red birds, and the topper is grapevine woven into 3 stars also decorated with holly and berries and pine cones. It was kind of fun doing it.

How about you? Is your decorating and shopping all done? Wrapping, too? If so, come help with mine! I will make you some hot chocolate and ginger cookies!

Oh wow, do I hear my doorbell ringing already?!?
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2008
9:30 PM

Post #5888458

Oh that sounds like a spectacular tree yardqueen. Please post a pic, would love to see it. I remember one year we put up a tree at our huntin cabin and Amy and I decorated it with pine combs, we stuck arrows in it and used some grunt calls and turkey calls and then strung bullet shells and berries to hang on it and we put some antlers together for the topping. It was quite a hoot!

No shopping here, we just give to the grandbabies and we do that at thanksgiving and then we head outta here! Just gotten to be too much hype and too expensive for our kids to worry about what to get for us, so we just quit doing it about 10 years ago. The kids all go to their inlaws and exchange with them and we just get the babies somethings special. So I guess that means I am free to help with your wrapping and such!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 14, 2008
3:51 AM

Post #5889553

Hi Yardqueen!!!!!
Your decorations sound wonderful! love ginger cookies and hot chocolate.
NO! is the short answer, haven't done anything yet!! panic ahead lol!

ding dong!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2008
8:27 AM

Post #5889937

Candee

The hunting tree sounds cute! Neat idea for the occasion! So you can come help me wrap? That will be great! I'll run & get some marshmallows for the chocolate...

Terri

You're here already! Hope you can help me shop first, cause I don't have anything to wrap yet! Sound like you need to shop too!

I will try to take some pics of the tree sometime Monday. My sister is here right now and I am quite busy with her till Monday when she leaves. Right now she is in bed. I need to get to bed myself as it is almost 2:30 am...

Night!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #5891584

Found it, it was cute and forgot bout my orange cap!

Thumbnail by haighr

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2008
6:47 AM

Post #5893007

That IS cute! LOL That tree is LOADED and ready to go hunting as soon as Santa leaves!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2008
12:34 PM

Post #5893238

Believe it or not that popcorn strand is 25 years' old and still white as the day it was popped. Tasha, Tim and I made it with that stovetop jiffy popcorn in 1982.
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #5894501

Wow! That is some old popcorn!!! My kids and I did some one year, probably in the 80's also. It looked good for several years but I finally threw it away because some of the popcorn was starting to fall off the string. We also string some red berries, and they looked good for several years even though they dried up and were kind of black and red, but I threw them away also. It was fun stringing them with the kids though! Kids are all grown now... the youngest is 28! Maybe they will do that with their kids someday! I should have string berries for my tree this year. That would have gone well with the theme of the tree...

I will go and take some pics now...
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2008
11:55 PM

Post #5919884

Well, I'm back! LOL I took a lot of pictures! Just kidding... I forgot about posting them.

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2008
11:57 PM

Post #5919891

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2008
12:03 AM

Post #5919909

close up

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2008
12:06 AM

Post #5919917

another

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #5919946

Doorway to kitchen and breakfast room

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2008
12:18 AM

Post #5919961

another tidbit

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2008
12:21 AM

Post #5919977

a basket

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #5919990

all lit up

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2008
12:27 AM

Post #5919994

grapevine wreath

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 23, 2008
1:57 PM

Post #5921374

Ohhhh Yardqueen! You have been busy, everything looks so beautiful and festive.
Gorgeous basket with the lights, great idea!!! might steal that one hahaha!
Have a wonderful Christmas with the family.

Maybe Father Christmas will bring you a new basket? lol! Be good!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 24, 2008
1:17 AM

Post #5923380

Red Carnations and Aspidistra, stuck in a vase!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2008
3:08 AM

Post #5926274

Hi ladies, what prettys we have here!

Sorry for being slow to respond... no, my mums were the lst of the fresh cuts and fall flwoers from the garden.

Been doing the silk arangements since.

Does stick it in a boot with silks now count? (You will have to check out the thread on what to do with old cowboy boots to see more and how these came to be!)

In the mean time to everyone, have a very Merry and blessed Christmas!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 28, 2008
4:46 PM

Post #5935960

Hi BLOSSOMBUDDY, Merry Christmas to you too! Hope you are having a lovely time.
Thank you for the cowboy boots ... Great idea, love it!! Where am I gonna find cowboy boots in South London? LoL!
I'm always on the look out for unusual containers or vases your boots are lovely with the silk flowers.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2008
9:55 PM

Post #5936878

Yardqueen you have been the "decorating queen" - what beautiful displays and blossombuddy that is just adorable. White boots are quite the hit this season of joy! I love the colors you used in them.
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2008
10:02 PM

Post #5936893

Thanks, Candee! I really enjoy doing it. I have next years tree planned already. That seems to happen when I go to the after Christmas sales and pick up some bargains!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2008
4:42 AM

Post #5938416

Terriculture...hmmmm, try eBay? you can post an "OLD BOOTS WANTED! Or try Daves Classifieds, or the swap meet here too, maybe someone here has a lovely old pair for you!

You and everyone have a great NEW YEAR! I, for one am sure longing for FRESH flowers to once again stick in a vase!

About the only thing smelling good other than someones good cooking about this time of year is the fresh pine boughs, pine cones or potpouri!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 29, 2008

Post #5939981

Hi Yardqueen! been bargain hunting already for next year? that is organised !!
The basket case turns into decorating queen LOL! you did a great job this year, Thanks for sharing with us.

Hi Blossombuddy, Thanks for the advice where to get cowboy boots, the older the better I reckon.
My daughter has some punky Doc Martin boots might try stickin some flowers in those!
The supermarket flowers are so disapointing... no scent at all. I sometimes add some fresh rosemary from the garden to give some perfume! Happy New year to you to!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 1, 2009
5:36 AM

Post #5950581

Happy New Year Yardqueen!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 1, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #5951436

Happy New Year to you too, Terri!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #5951540

Happy New Year to ALL!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 4, 2009
12:57 AM

Post #5962663

3 ornamental cabbages!

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #5962844

YQ, love your fresh bouquets. I imagine your yard to be divine.

TS, what kind of dahlias are these? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5818165 The ones I order from my flower supplier are a lot bigger and just doesn't work as well in bouquets. Did you grow them yourself? I love how you paired them with the coleus.

Terri, what's that on the cabbages? Looks like snow. Very pretty winter arrangment.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 4, 2009
2:47 AM

Post #5963069

TS where have you got to? Happy New Year to you too!

Thanks Karma, it's glitter on the cabbages! You can see it better on this picture.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 16, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6013939

Pink and white Tulips.

soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2009
2:32 AM

Post #6014832

Lovely Tulips, Terri. That is one flower that I don't grow because they don't come back year after year, except for one tiny clump that has lasted 5 years. It doesn't get cold enough here. I now mostly grow perennials, bulbs that naturalizes, and annuals that reseed themselves. But looking at your lovely tulips makes me think twice again and maybe I'll plant some next year...
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 17, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6016175

Thank you Dianne. I've given up planting tulips, the squirels dig up the bulbs all the time!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #6017149

Is it me or is it tulips...I have given them up too. Now I can grow daffodils until the cows come home. They like my poor wet floody soil and bloom really well, but tulips...sheesh, they must hate that getting their feet wet here! I can however do them in containers, but they still come puny in the containers as well.. so it must be me!! LOL!

I am soooo dreaming of daffodil time... this minus 20 we been having is for the penguins that is for sure. Brrrrrrr!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #6017441

I grow the odd tulips, like the parrot and the fringed tulips and each year I find I have fewer and fewer and it is sad as I think they are very elegant, but so few and far between not that attractive in my gardens anymore.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 17, 2009
10:55 PM

Post #6017492

haighr, I also have the same issues with hyacinths and Lordy how I love those!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 18, 2009
1:32 AM

Post #6017958

Lovely Daffs Blossom. Don't you just lurve the smell of Hyacinths!! I have a few, wish they were taller, seems a long way down to get a sniff LOL!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2009
1:58 AM

Post #6018050

The hyacinths I got are so potent you only need one in a room to make the whole house smell! They are the giants! Are you thinnking of the little grape hyacinths terriculture?? I just don't understand why mine are so spindly...I don't have too many hyacinths...need to poke in some more...(hint hint to you bulb traders!!! hehehe!!)

Here you go, some more of my daffs from last season.. they are just making me long for spring...I got cabin fever reallly baaaad!

I had only ONE lonely tulip last year...they hate me I swear!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2009
2:02 AM

Post #6018070

my lowly tulip...she was a pretty thing while she lasted..but alas and sigh!...no more...

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 19, 2009
6:32 PM

Post #6024582

Nice pics Blossom! I was thinking of the big Hyacinths in the garden! You have to sit on the ground to get the smell! Nice in window boxes.
I agree, when cut and in the house they really fill the room with beautiful perfume.
I think we are all desperate for spring.

How are you Yardqueen? What's happening in your neck of the woods?
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #6025254

Hi, Terri! Well it has just been cold here. No snow or anything... Just cold. The greenhouse is doing well.

I have not been feeling well the last few days. Just a bit of a sore throat and general feeling bad. I am a little better today, but I actually turned down going to a movie! Maybe tomorrow...

I am trying to get ready for winter sowing. I need to get it out or I will be too late. It will take me at least a couple of days! Got to make sure I get enough flowers! I also am anxious for spring!!! Brown is not a pretty color...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #6025394

Brown is good, green better...its white here that is a fright!

I have gotten soooo desperate.. I started forcing blooms in the bathroom! Today I actually had a slight glimps of an aussie willow flower!

Sorry terri, I am changing the header of this thread to

"stick it in a bucket and force it to bloom!"

(well, maybe not, but if anyone wants to have a go on a thread called that give me a second on the motion!!)

Next trick is forsythias!! now where is that other bucket!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 20, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #6028930

Hi Yardqueen, Sorry to hear you are not feeling too well, hope that passes very soon.
Do you know how to make fake 'ice', to give branches a frosted look?

Hi Blossom, I'm going to see what I can gather from the garden to give a good beating!!! and try to force flowers or buds even! Thursdays my day off so I will venture out in the garden then.
I'm asking everyone and their Mum how to make fake 'ice' any ideas????
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 20, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #6029220

I know there is a recipe for it, (fake ice) but danged if I can help you there terri! You go girl...beat the snot out of those nonblooming things... tell them "bloom you boogers bloom!" (it's the polar chant!! Be sure to dance around the bucket at three times and wave your fist clenched with hammer in one hand and snippers in the other!!! And bellow --->>>BLoom Blooom BlooOOOOOOooM! (using high pitched whiney voices!! LOL!

If the dancing don't warm ya up... make more cocoa!!

Yardqueen, get well too...sheesh, no time to be getting whoozy or ill. But I can feel your pain for sure!

I cut forsythias, flowering almonds, lilacs, some apples, a few snowballs and some hibiscus...the darned frosty weather got me and I only got one bucket with all that in it...but thats ok, twas al the bathroom watercloset could hold... see ya on the other thread with this!

(Meanwhile back at the ranch, old Blossum is getting the DH's ace/oxy torches and gonna start melting her tundra if spring don't get here quick enough!. you sure you dont want the real thing (ice) terri????...arrrrgh!!!)

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 29, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6066852

Lovely picture Blossom!

better get back to my polar chant dance ... Bloom Bloom BlooOOOOOooM!

Hi Yardqueen, are you feeling better?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #6067914

Terry, your dilusional!! SNOW aint lovely!!! But I will take the compliment on the pic! It is kind of, well sort of.. um, Im thinking.. well, ok if I have ta!!

So are ya doing the two step with that chant or just bouncing around that pail of cuttings??? This inquirying mind wants to know!!

Yardqueen, hope your better. My hubs still icky... going to the doctor tomorrow...again.. ugh. Just hope we can pass the hospital. We have had our fill of that place for this week. Will ya just look at that bowl they are trying to sink my poor flowers in now! YEEEE Gads! All that gold trim, gold rails and porcelan trim! Big enough to sink the farm in thar.

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #6071151

I'm dilusional!!!!!!!!!!

What's this????? a toilet!!!! container thread me thinks ... LOL!

Hope Hubby is better soon.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #6072136

Terri!! Thats the throne room at the hospital!! YEEE-Gads I did not know what to do with it when I first saw it, polish it or...well... maybe we will not go there, but prepare Me the next room for the heart attack when his bill comes! That's real brass in that thar latrine! I am sure they are gonna want me to throw all my flowers in there for sure! It's their idea of container gardening.

But the good news is is he is better and provided they got his paperwork done he can get back to work.. He has to get clearance from the Grand POO-bah of health care next so he can start again and book his next trip. Last thing we need is a roadtrip with a nightmare.

Thanks for popping in on me at home! Send me your street addie so I know where to send you a get well or Christmas card in the future.. and so glad you are better too. Seems there is a bit of a bug lose!

Here ya go! Cheers!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #6072281

Good news Hubby's ok Blossom, lovely cheerful daffs too!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2009
3:45 AM

Post #6073431

Hey Terri! YESSS!! WHooohoooo! He is much better!

So wheres the loos pic? I wanna see your arrangement that ...well awww shucks, its not gonna happen huh? {{{egg - egg - egg}}}}

Cant you just imagine those gold handlebars in that fancy throneroom with varigated pothos going on! hehehehe!!

This message was edited Jan 30, 2009 9:47 PM

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #6075496

Kinda makes me feel like writing a "Dear John" letter blossom LOL! That is a fancy smancy dumpster they got in there. GLad to hear he is on the mend and hope the bills arent too cumbersome.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #6075757

Thanks haighr! I would like to toss those bills right into that a-hem dumpster. So far we got one doctor bill...ouch... I have been writing them a Dear John for years!! Not that I do not appreciate their services, we just cannot afford the new bills since are still trying to kill us from last time!

Im going back to the cafe, I hear you posted the KEY LIME SUBLIME there.. sounds yummy.

So plantgeek88 got chickens too?? LOL!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
7:39 PM

Post #6079377

Hey blossom, don't worry too much things have a way of coming together even in tough times. Go enjoy some pie!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 1, 2009
8:26 PM

Post #6079636

No loo's pis sorry, pics Blossom... spoilsport aren't I? !!!!
Love your hen and eggs pic, ohh I didn't know you could do fancy frames and all that jazz. Lovely!
There's a thread for 'cyber arrangements' where other's do fabulous computer altered works of art.
I can only change the colours and contrast, but I am enjoying it!

Here's a vase of roses and tulips to cheer us all up!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 1, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #6079654

dried tin tin and red roses added ...

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #6079769

I love yellow, never used to care for it much but now is becoming a favorite of mine.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 1, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6079793

Thanks Candee, The roses are actually orange but they look yellow on the picture!
Funny how certain colours just dont show very well? I guess if there were some yellow flowers in the arrangement the roses would look more orange?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6079861

Hey Terry that is lovely.. I have not found tin tin here.

If you go on ebay you can search for mini digital cameras... they come with the "toy" you need to play with pictures! It crops, plays with color all sorts of cool things.. look for a camera that is about the size of a credit card.. would run about $17 USA but the fun you can have with the programming is awesome. The the digitals are free to put on a memery stick or print from your pc!

We took a hike in the woods today. Saw lots of rabbit tracks, racoon paws, deer track and found 4 muskrat huts down in the bog.

No vases today...just found this awesome freak of nature out in the woods...now how did that tree get to be that way? Almost looks like someone stuck it in the bog roots up! But not!

Lemme turn it orange for ya too!! LOL!

This message was edited Feb 1, 2009 3:20 PM

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2009
9:33 PM

Post #6079952

Ok, same tree...upsidedown and flame on! Orange is easy!! LOL!

When I turn it blue.. it looks like a deer in a snow storm!

Me thinks I better go hunt for some new vases!! Im having tooo much fun playign with this one!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #6079969

Terry, where is that thread for art?

Here it is in blue just for you! Is it a tree or a deer? LOL!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 1, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6079978

That's one cool tree Blossom, well spotted for a great photo!
It's snowing here now, yippy! Love snow,( we don't get it very often) Looks nice from the window, not sure it will be so nice at the bus stop tomorrow! Brrr
Thanks! You can make your own tin tin if you have bear grass, just wrap it around a broom handle and leave it to dry. It can also be sprayed.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2009
9:47 PM

Post #6079997

Terry, Its the lighting and the camera...they sure can drive you nuts when you want to show the correct color. I always have trouble with yellows until I enhance them to correct the pictures color! Digital cameras are so much fun! Im telling ya, you will love the software with that minicmaera.. but if you are using another camera that is cool too, you can just use the software from the mini on it as well since the PC is not fussy on what camera it is once you learn how to navagate the software system!

Here is what it looked like before any enhancments and back to rightside up. Kinda drab huh!?

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 1, 2009
9:48 PM

Post #6080001

Gosh, you posted twice while I took so long to type!
They look brilliant, very arty. If you can get to the cut flowers forum you will see the
' cyber arrangements' thread! .
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 1, 2009
10:16 PM

Post #6080092

Hmmmm, now why did I not think of that.. here silly me is thinking... tin tin.. natural curly!!!
{{I smack my self in the forehead!!}} We should add that to the Botanicals Cut and dried thread!! Bet cattails woudl work too for that!

I have been pretty busy with the hubby ill this week so have not had time do get the vases out that I have yet in storage. Seems I am behind now more on everything. It dawned on me, I have a really pretty Chinese vaah-se ..just cannot remember where the heck I put it...it would look so elegant with those tulips of yours and some forsythia or redbuds. Must go hunt for it.. I am still searching for the McCoys!\

Oh.. the name of that software with that lil camera is called PhotoImpression.. I do not know if you can buy it seperately or not. You might try searching the net for it.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2009
1:11 PM

Post #6082156

Love that tree. Looks like a nice spot for me to climb up on the branch and just sit and ponder life.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2009
8:24 PM

Post #6083933

LOL!! That silly tree looks like you could put a saddle on it and ride it!!

Well, I have been poking around in my boxes of goodies and today all I came across was floral supplies and no vases.. dang it! I know I have more somewhere. I dusted shelves to put them on and the shelves are still empty! ~~~ where did I put them McCoys!!!~~~~

Off to the hunt again... maybe tomorrow.

If ya see Terri, don't tell her Im staulking her with all my snowballs.. she is torturing me with her snow whilst I try to get rid of ours! Im gonna ...splat! Oh oh, I think she knows it.. she hit me again! drat.. run Blossom run! Hooves, don't fail me now, she is on to me!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 14, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #6139535

Carnations! these were all closed, with a little manipulation I opened some of the flowers. This takes a long time !!!

karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

February 15, 2009
1:48 PM

Post #6141376

Awwwwwe, lovely valentine Terri! That must have been a lot of work getting them to open!

Blossom, lovely daffodils. I'm late in the conversation, but hyacinths smell so pretty. . .I love them too. Have anyone smelled hyacinth bean vine? They smell lovely too and down here, they've been blooming since last summer. I have some nice pods too if anyone would like to try some seeds.

Sorry to go off topic, here's my flowers in a vase.

Thumbnail by karmaplace

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2009
5:03 PM

Post #6142154

Awww man, terri temtped me back in the game here...carnations are my favs!! Thanks for the cease fire onthe snowballs! Sure wish I could say Mother nature here is so kind.. here again we got more snow.. ugh..

And my my, lovely tulips too Karma.

Ok, here is one of my good ones.. but it has a horrible stain from tape that was on it and I have had a hard time removing it.. any suggestions. This vase is so lovely, but soo very badly soiled. I have tried rubbing alcohol to no avail.. and short of steel wool, I do not want to ruin the vase with scrathing its lovely milk soft surface. Help Heloise, I am desperate!!

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2009
6:20 PM

Post #6142481

Dang Terri you got the whole 9 yards there of posys, cards and candy!
Karma those are fab!
Sorry blossom, not any good at helpful hints, but sure you will a DG response on one of the threads.
We got another dustin of snow yesterday but lots of sunshine today has removed most of it. Took a stroll around but nothing much happening in the garden yet. I did see my first robin of the season yesterday before the snow and that is always a genuine sign that spring is not far around the bend!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 15, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #6142922

Lovely vase of flowers Karma, Thanks for sharing those! I'm about to experiment with pink and red myself!!
It took ages to open the carnations, but it can be done! Glad you liked the valentine arrangement, Thanks.

Blossom, I would just cover it up LOL! use ribbon, leaves, or make a little collar with vines. What about a bow, use your bowmaker!!

Candee, yes I was surprised!! not complain' though!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #6143234

That pretty vase is so lovely without flowers, I must get that stain off. I was telling my hubby about it and you know what he told me.. try some WD40...I shreiked! ON MY BEST GLASS??? eeeeek!

I am off to the garage to find the WD...I am desperate...you know I cant make bows to save my soul.. I have tried...my hand tieds are horrible!

Ok, simmering down.. its either the WD or the bow machine...

I'll be baaaaaack!

This message was edited Feb 15, 2009 5:41 PM
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 15, 2009
10:39 PM

Post #6143499

How about just a strip of blue ribbon, glued on, simple and dainty NO BOWS!!!!! forget that idea LOL!!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #6143767

Well I will be, I tried the WD40 and he was right! I got the majority of it off...must keep rubbing.. Using terry cloth towel and WD40 and its working!

Here is halfway, I am still rubbing and it is still hard getting off, but coming!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 16, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #6143789

Oh GOOD! Hubby's great idea is working!!!! lookin' good, keep going!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6143838

Wellll, I will be!! The Man rocks! WD and a heck of a lot of elbow grease!! Only trouble was getting the WD off as it made the vase oily!!

Well Dawn dish soap cured that!

All hail to his tool box!!! Thank you DH!! I have been humbled!!

(Now...hint hint.. DUDE.. I need flowers!!! )

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6143868

I have been trying to clean that for years!!! LOL!!

I have tried the rubbing alcohol, the turpinetine, soaking rubbing buffing.. nothing!!

Glass cleaner...now... WD40!

Active ingredient in WD is fish oil!! GO FIGURE!

WHoooo hoo! Followed by DAWN!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 16, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #6143888

Yeah,... DUDE!!!! she needs flowers LoL!

Well done it looks good as new and really beautiful!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2009
12:54 AM

Post #6143976

Tada!!

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

February 16, 2009
1:01 AM

Post #6144006

Bravo!

nice bow!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 16, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #6144015

NOT!!!

Sorry too, the flowers are not fresh...its winter here and nothing blooming

DUDE, the wife needs CHANTILLY!! That derned WD40 stinks!!!
(Works, but stinks!)

This message was edited Feb 15, 2009 7:31 PM

This message was edited Feb 15, 2009 7:50 PM
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2009
12:13 PM

Post #6154952

BOW MAKER...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/953887/

for better bows
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #6176400

Hi, everyone! The Queen of Yards here with a post of fresh cut flowers...er uh... in a wreath! I don't have much of anything blooming, but I made do with what I do have and the little plastic thingys (I know they have a name) that hold water. I wish I had more of the rosemary blooms, but alas, I cut all I had. I really need some greenery or a bow or something to hide the green things, but that will have to wait till tomorrow as it is dark out. If I find anything I will post and update. I hope you all are not appalled at my pathetic attempt! Also I always make 2 wreaths, one for each side of the door as it is glass, and otherwise the back would show through. Usually they sort of look like a reflection in the glass of each other.

Inside door

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #6176412

outside...

I forgot to say, this is forsythia, rosemary and daffodils

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #6176424

Close up of the lovely daffs

Inside

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #6176431

& out

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2009
12:16 PM

Post #6177288

Lovely yardqueen and what a great idea an opposite appearance on either side of the door. The daffs are realy springy looking such a vibrant yellow. Thanks for the spring pick me up as we are in snow squalls again this morn.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #6177599

BEAUTIFUL!! Welcome spring! We will not see that here until at least another month! Its very frosty this morning and still a skiff of snow on the ground.
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #6178168

Thanks ladies! I will be going out in a bit to see if I can find any springlike greenery anywhere to hide those whatchamacallits... what are they called anyway? I can't remember. But they are working like a charm as everything looks as fresh as when I cut them. I will need th fill the whatchamacallits today as they are about half empty!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2009

Post #6178663

Hehehe.. show full picture of the whatchamacallit so we have a better idear!!! Thanks!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2009
6:37 PM

Post #6178937

I have those thingys and not sure what the official name is, but at least they are green. How bout you just tuck them further behind the wreath?
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #6181117

Well I ran out of time before I had to leave to take DGD to a home school group (she is spending 2 days with me) so I did not get any greenery. I did add water to the thingy's. They won't fit in any further, so I can't hide them that way. the daffs do hide the ones for the rosemary and forsythia. I just need to get out and look or find my wired ribbons...
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2009
12:46 PM

Post #6182176

Oh yes, wired ribbons is a great idea that will cover them perfectly.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2009
7:35 PM

Post #6184278

Whatchamacallits???

I dont see no stinking whatchamacallits!!

You done hide them!!!

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #6184548

go back and look again! They are bright green, and show badly... I am on my way outside now!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #6184685

The only name I have heard used for those whatchamacallits are floral tubes. I have collected a few also in my days, but have not yet used them.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #6184694

Well, I sure did not see them until you told me to go look again! I was so taken with the daffs, no one here was looking for any mechanics! Its still pretty!

Now here's what I would do to hide them, put some statice or other light airy filler and the bow and I think that would do it! With a dry filler, you would not need another "whatchamacallit" ( we call them orchid picks) to hide then and just wire it in. You can leave the orchid picks on the wreath and just change those fresh flowers when they are done!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2009
9:47 PM

Post #6184915

that is my plan on changing th flower... I am envisioning roses and babys breath, both of which will be in my garden. I think I have solved hiding the picks, but I cant find my ribbon
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 7, 2009
3:30 AM

Post #6231822

Hi Yardqueen, Gorgeous spring wreath !! it's so cheerful, love it!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2009
5:16 AM

Post #6232174

Thanks, Terri! It is gone now though... I need to find some flowers...
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6233134

and for yardqueens next trick...drumroll please!!!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 7, 2009
8:03 PM

Post #6234438

Hi Yardqueen,
What do you usually have flowering first? How are your seedlings doing?
I started a new thread for March 2009 in the garden. Please share your garden pictures as things start to grow!! Thank you Queen of Yards LOL!

Iris and Pussywillow in a vase.

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2009
5:11 AM

Post #6236609

Usually daffodils 1st, then Forsythia followed by Hyacinth and any tulips that manage to come back. Also the Bradford Pears and Redbud trees are blooming. I used all of these except the daffodils in my latest "trick" as Blossumbuddy called it... I also used some bougainvillia which is blooming in the greenhouse. The kids came for dinner tonight so I was showing off... LOL

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2009
5:29 AM

Post #6236656

And of course the matching one on the other side...

yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2009
5:33 AM

Post #6236665

Terri,

and the seedlings are great! I already had to separate some into their own pots. Almost everything I planted has already come up. I will take pics...
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 8, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #6237172

Oh Yardqueen! That looks BEAUTITUL, love how you added to it with the other spring material. The Boogie is a gorgeous pink! I've only seen the purple one. The kids were impressed I'm sure!!!
The pictures are really good, would love to hang this on the flowerpot cafe door to welcome everyone!
Looking forward to seeing your seedlings and garden come to life! Have you sown any sweet peas?
Thanks for sharing your pretty flowers!
yardqueen1948
Emory, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6237402

Terri,

Thank you! I didn't add to the last wreath, though. I started completely over. I really enjoy making the wreaths. I guess it is because I never thought about making them from fresh flowers until I thought about using the orchid picks. I need a medicine dropper though, so it will be easier to add water.

I will be honored for you to hang them on the door of the cafe. I will drop by in a little while to drop them off!

Yes I did some sweet peas. I am not sure if they came up or not. I can't get to all of my containers to see what they are!

I am going to take pics today and I will post some on the "thread for March 2009 in the garden." And I will post some of the trees and the forsythia...
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 8, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #6239662

Good idea for the medicine dropper! (the things we do for our flowers) LOL!

So pleased you are going to bring your wreath to the cafe', it will make the place look a bit more inviting and upmarket!!!
It sounds like you have done loads of seeds, looking forward to your pics!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2009
2:31 PM

Post #6242026

Yardqueen, now that is some spring magic!!! Lovely dear! Lovely!

Ribbet
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

March 12, 2009
8:59 PM

Post #6257600

This thread has got quite long, please join me in the new one! ...

Just stick flowers in a vase!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #6258441

Should we add a page Number to the link? What page would it be 2?
Not sure if this is the original so someone here will have to guide us!

Hop hop!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2009
11:33 AM

Post #6260362

Try the hop over here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/962058/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America