Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Weather: October Daily Weather II, What's happening in your yard?

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 211, Views: 1,415
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2008
7:50 PM

Post #5656024

We were getting rather long on the old thread, so here's a new one.
Please come by with your pictures and comments.
82.2 F / 27 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 59 F / 15 C
Wind: 2.7 mph / 4 km/h from the SE
Wind Gust: 5.4 mph / 8 km/h
Pressure: 29.85 in / 1010.7 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 82 F / 28 C
Sidney
A double Datura

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 10, 2008
8:22 PM

Post #5656139

Thanks fo rthe new thread, Sidney! Gorgeous datura!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2008
8:43 PM

Post #5656222

Sidney - that datura truly stunning

Adina - I'd been sick for a few years before I got the diagnosis without knowing what was wrong with me. I think that was the hardest part. The symptoms resemble a mild flu, exhaustion, aches and poor sleep. The fogginess is just a "side effect" so to speak from being tired all the time. I'm just about free from the aches and exhaustion (if I don't over do things) but the fogginess is very persistant. I often wish I'd get a day with a clear head - I used to have a pretty sharp mind, and it's very frustrating to not have that anymore to be honest.

Kiska - beautiful photo :-) and thanks for your kind words. Although it's hard not to worry it's of no use when things are out of your control, so it's very good advice ;-)

I'm sure there were some other comments I wanted to make, but I don't have the time to go back and review the posts ... warm thoughts to everyone :-) Time for a "cozy evening" with the girls. This week has been horrific - I hope next week will bring some hope and solutions.

Rann

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #5656789

My DSL is down for one day (maybe a day & ) and I miss Sharon's Birthday and a thread jump? Happy belated Sharon. Yes it is dark here now.

Starting to get chilly in the evenings. - No work tomorrow, I may sleep in till 6.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #5656824

6am or 6pm? :~p
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 11, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #5657303

We are having our Indian Summer. Two slight frosts and now the weather is warming up into the high 60's and high 70's. Still chilly at night. Grass is cut, trimming done, lookingforward to theholiday weekend and hoping to get al least two wheelbarrow loads of weeds and debris collected each day/
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2008
9:51 AM

Post #5657949

Well I did not sleep til 6 but even 5:30 was an improvement. It is of course dark and I hope the day is fair so I can get things done.

Have a good morning all.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2008
11:28 AM

Post #5658047

Good morning!

The sun is out, there's only a light breeze blowing and 45F. A beautiful day and I'm going to try and enjoy it ... :-)

Seeds - sounds like a small slice of heaven where you are. It's such a great feeling to get things accomplished and great weather doesn't hurt one bit. You're such a hard worker that you seem half your age ;-)

Dyson - good morning to you :-) Although at 5:30 it's still night ;-) lol

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Rann

This message was edited Oct 11, 2008 12:10 PM

Thumbnail by rannveig

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2008
1:48 PM

Post #5658372

Morning, All!
I've missed 3 threads! Been really busy with work, so it may take me a loooong time to catch up.
Sidney that's a gorgeous datura!

Sitting on the porch now; it's 67F and cloudy. We had nearly 4" of rain yesterday and it's supposed to be cloudy all weekend. Not much sign of fall going on here. Some leaves fallen, the caladiums have started to flop. Otherwise - you'd hardly know. Normal for us is highs about 80 and lows around 60 at the mo'.

Hope everyone is well! I've missed checking in with y'all.
Rann: I hope the coming week is much better for you.
Sharon - so sorry I missed your birthday.
Deb
(Brazilian petunia, ruellia elegans)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2008
2:13 PM

Post #5658447

Glad to see you back Deb. I was afraid a big wind had blown you away.
;)
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2008
3:03 PM

Post #5658566

:) Thanks, Sidney. Nope, just a crazy couple of weeks at work.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #5658727

Welcome back, Deb! Everything calming down at work?

Sidney, very pretty datura. I'm not adventurous enough to try them yet.

Adina, your mums are pretty, too. Do you have more than yellows? The calendulas are very dependable, aren't they?

Kristi and I spent the day watching TV and talking. So much to catch up on, even though we talk every week on the phone. It's better in person. We went to Tepanyaki for dinner. She'd never been. For those who don't know it, it's a japanese restaurant that serves several people at once. They cook your food in front of you and put on a show while they do it. It's lots of fun! And the food is VERY good.

It snowed a few flakes not too long ago. We're supposed to get about an inch tonight. 41 for our high. Welcome to October in Utah, Kristi...

Snaps yesterday.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 11, 2008
4:55 PM

Post #5658803

OMG, Celia, snow!? Your poor friend must be terrified, but this might make you have more girl talk !LOL Yes, I have more colors : purple, white and red.

Rann, sorry to hear your illness is causing you so much discomfort, I'm thinking of you wishing you feel better. How are your girls, have started school?

Deb, beautiful petunia.

It's been warm and sunny, 68 today too, but a cold wind in the morning. The nights are still warm, not even a frost, like I heard some of you had...brrr! It was a good day for cleaning the terraces of the paint and cement which was still on it, everywhere. I guess the workers thought they had too much paint and had to do something with it!LOL

This is a sunset seen from my house, a few nights ago.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 11, 2008
9:20 PM

Post #5659483

Happy birthday, Sharon. I'm glad it was a good one.

Rann, I hope better days are coming your way soon. If things get so bad in your country that you start lacking necessities, let us know. We'll try to do something.

Unseasonably not hot. It is chilly in the house. I got out the space heater and turned it on. It got down to 46F last night.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on October 11, 2008
67 F / 19 C
Clear
Humidity: 15%
Dew Point: 17 F / -8 C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s from the WNW
Pressure: 29.81 in / 1009 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

High pressure developing over Nevada will cause Santa Ana winds to
develop across the area Sunday through Tuesday. The strongest of
these winds is expected to be Monday and Tuesday mornings where
gusts as high as 60 mph are possible in the mountains and 45 mph
below passes and canyons of Los Angeles and Ventura County coast
and valleys.

Early morning lows will be quite chilly in wind protected
locations where patchy frost is possible. Locations such as
interior San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara counties... as well as
the Antelope Valley will see temperatures dipping into the high
20s for a few hours each morning through Tuesday. Even some
coastal valley locations in Ventura and Los Angeles County such as
Ojai and Malibu canyon will drop into the mid 30s.

Windshield picture in Utah, probably between Provo and Cedar City. I can't quite read what the exit sign says. It looks like "Suighurdgle", which of course isn't anything.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 11, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #5659486

somewhere else in Utah

Thumbnail by Kelli

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2008
9:29 PM

Post #5659522

Sunny, clear & 76.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 11, 2008
9:33 PM

Post #5659531

What's going on? It's not dark in Dyson Land and not hot in Kelli Land!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #5659610

Before 10am this morning. I had been to the double wide to check the mail, gone to the storage space & gotten my drivers license renewed. In the afternoon - I took a nap, I'll unload the car full of storage in the morning, can't set a unrealistic quota on stuff that can done in a day.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 11, 2008
11:32 PM

Post #5659827

Understand that Dyson. It is an in between job. We are having incredibly nice weather. After the heat and drought all summer long. It was cool enough for pork and sauerkraut this AM with mashed potates. Then warm enough to buy a home grown watermelon this afternoon. LOL - Go figure.

Adina - what a beautiful sunset picture
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 11, 2008
11:55 PM

Post #5659914

LOL - Dyson :-) Sounds like you got plenty accomplished today ;-) lol

Kelli - Thanks. It's weird to think of what you can't be without when you're used to having everything you want ... I guess we're very spoiled that way. I went shopping yesterday and couldn't bring myself to buy more than one of each item, but bought a few things that hadn't yet run out though. I came to the conclusion that of things that aren't produced in this country breakfast cereal is something we can't be without ;-) lol Then DH went shopping today and there were a few more things he felt he didn't want to run out of anytime soon ... Coca cola, Doritos, Microwave Popcorn and yes more Breakfast Cereal. LOL We're very sensible people aren't we? I did also buy some pasta and spelt flour and sugar, but I need to pick up some more of that next week. And chocolate - I can not believe I forgot to buy dark chocolate. Not that I think we'll actually experience a food shortage - I'm sure the IMF will have swooped in and saved us before it comes to that ;-) But the threat makes one realise what's important in life ;-) lol And it's safer to have plenty of chocolate ;-) lo

There's a weekly comedy show that sums up the main events of the week on Saturday nights on TV here ... they did a wonderful job to bring a smile on our face this evening. They were hilarious. Now we'll all be singing "Don't Worry, Be Happy" when the next calamity hits and it won't seem so bad after all.

Deb - glad to see you again! :-)

Adina - thanks. I'm OK, don't worry. The Fibro is mostly under control - swimming has turned out to be the best kind of pain relief I've tried. I hardly ever take a pain killer. The girls are good and getting back in the routine of school, music lessons and ballet. They're very busy and I'm even busier keeping track of everything. Gorgeous sunset!

Have a good night everyone :-)

Rann

My two gems :-) Torrevieja, Spain

Thumbnail by rannveig

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2008
12:54 AM

Post #5660196

The girls look lovely there on the beach Rann!
I hope everything settles down there in a hurry.
Several members of the ORVG Forum here have either Fibromyalgia or Arthritis...
so gentle hugs are the rule... ;-)

It's been warm bordering on hot here.
83 today and 85 forecast for tomorrow and Monday.
Cool nights though... great for the Hot Tub!

Sharon I just realized I didn't answer your D40X lens question.
As it, like my D40, doesn't have an internal focusing motor you need to get Nikor AF-S or AF-I.
I have an 18-55 mm and a 55-200mm... a 300 would be nice but the wallet said no...lol!
As you have a 10 meg format you can easily crop and enlarge to get the effect of a 400mm or a Macro. You will suffer some detail loss but...

Well we have the backdoor finished on the FPR.
We found it in the garage when we did the roof last year.
Metal clad it just needed a new frame, paint and some TLC.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2008
1:08 AM

Post #5660273

Another perfect day out today. But spent it grocery shopping and cleaning out the basement. We couldn't see the floor and had an itty bitty path to get around. lol
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #5660293

We framed all day ...then watched the Ohio State Football game this afternoon/evening...

We're just about done bumping out the walls... though we decided to add new windows so...
the two you see here are toast...
The wood you see inside the frame is where the closet outside wall will be.
Yes we added a closet and the windows will have plant shelves.
Gotta save space in a 9' x 16' room.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2008
1:45 AM

Post #5660408

Oh Ric that looks so great.
I so want a 9 x 7 closet.
The door looks great too.
;)
Hope I haven't shown this one already.

Thumbnail by sugarweed

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #5660708

Well the closet will be about 6' wide x 15" deep... so more of a pantry than a closet I guess...lol!
We converted the side bedroom upstairs to a closet a few years ago.
It has worked out very well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72057594076645965/

Thumbnail by henryr10

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2008
9:25 AM

Post #5661294

Good morning!

Thanks Ric :-) The door looks great! And the rest does too ;-)

Sidney very pretty coleus. Before I met you I never knew there were so many different colors and varieties :-)

Its cloudy this morning, breezy and looks like it could rain. 43F.

Hope you have a great day everyone!

Rann

The girls had such a blast at the beach. Absolutely loved it. Hildur Eva was one and a half the last time we were in Spain so she was discovering the beach all over again :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2008
1:04 PM

Post #5661629

Wow, Ric! That is awesome work. I like it a lot.

Kelli, when were you in Utah? Was it during your last trip? Those are definitely Utah! LOL

Sidney, my coleus are blooming, too. I've given up trying to keep them pinched.

Rann, your girls are such beauties! Fun trips you've had.

We have a high of 38 today. Currently it is 34 and I think my MGs are toast.

This is pic was taken a few minutes ago. Halloween tombstones on the front lawn.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2008
1:11 PM

Post #5661647

Sunny, Clear &

Thumbnail by Dyson

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2008
5:29 PM

Post #5662445

Hi! It's been a fall-ish week end here. Very cool nights (in the 40's) & warm (low 70's) during the days. A wonderful Indian Summer! :D I've taken a few pics, but need to take some more... A lot of the leaves are falling off w/out turning...so I'm having to really look for some color.
At Dublin...
Clear: 72F
Feels like: 72F
Barometer: 30.5 in
Dewpoint: 52
Humidity: 50%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 11 mph ENE
Sunrise: 7:29 AM
Sunset: 6:49 PM
UV Index: 6 High

Kelli, Love the Utah pics! :D Thanks! ;) I have a question...does my little Aloe (that bloomed) have a baby on the bloom stem? It certainly looks like it to me! :D
Ric, You have done a great job already...can't wait to see when you finish! :) w/ a 'monster' closet/pantry! :-O
Deb! Glad to have you back! I was getting worried! I have been thinking about you...Bridge Day is this coming week end! They are expecting over 200,000 people there!
Celia! You have Snow! :D
Rann, Great pics of Spain! Especially w/ the girls in them! ;) Hope everything starts getting better there soon! I cannot imagine having everything imported to sustain life, but I hear ya on the chocolate! ;)
Adina, What a Gorgeous!Sunset! Wow!!
Sharon? Every time I look here & don't see a post from you...I think about Gary.
Marsue? Where are you? :)
Sidney, what a Beautiful! Datura! Gorgeous! My Coleus are starting to 'fizzle', but yours are as pretty as ever! ;-)

The answer to the trivia is...A
A growing degree-day is defined as a day on which the average daily temperature is above a base temperature. For corn the base temperature is 50 degrees.

Today's trivia is...
A line that shows the wind flow pattern is called what?
a) Isobar
b) Isoline
c) Streamline
d) Wind-line

Thumbnail by music2keep

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #5662703

Warm but windy. Sunny out still though we have rain coming in tonight. Rain all day tomorrow.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 12, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #5662713

32 and snowing heavily.
Somewhere I "lost " you all~nice to get back and catch up.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 12, 2008
8:07 PM

Post #5662806

Kiska, so cold and snow already? Is it usual?
Great pics everyone! It's been very warm today, 72 and sunny...good day for arranging the plants in my GH. I'll have to take a picture tomorrow, it was almost dark when I stopped and didn't even finished.
I took a few pics of my blooms yesterday.
Rainlily.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 12, 2008
8:09 PM

Post #5662814

Hanging geraniums.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 12, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #5662834

Oxalis.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 12, 2008
8:16 PM

Post #5662841

This one I don't know what it is.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 12, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #5662942

Adina~your flowers are gorgeous~ bet it seems as if you've lived there a long time now.
Yes, this is the time for winter~ususally by the end of October, it's quite cold and frozen.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 12, 2008
9:19 PM

Post #5663034

Celia, I was in Utah when we went to and from Yellowstone.

Joey, yes, the aloe is producing a baby on the flower stalk. I think I've only seen that happen once here and I don't remember if it rooted or not. For me, they most often send up offsets from the roots.

Windy and dry. There is a fire burning in the Angeles National Forest. Ric probably has a better idea of exactly where this is than I do. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081012/ap_on_re_us/wildfires

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on October 12, 2008
71 F / 22 C
Clear
Humidity: 9%
Dew Point: 10 F / -12 C
Wind: 16 mph / 26 km/h / 7.2 m/s from the NNW
Wind Gust: 23 mph / 37 km/h / 10.3 m/s
Pressure: 29.99 in / 1016 hPa (Falling)
UV: 6 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

These are pictures in the Virgin River canyon in Arizona (when coming home from Yellowstone). It looks like this is probably the same rock as the Grand Canyon.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 12, 2008
9:20 PM

Post #5663036

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 12, 2008
9:22 PM

Post #5663042

This one almost makes me dizzy.

Thumbnail by Kelli

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2008
11:12 PM

Post #5663468

The bad thing about being away for a couple of days is that it is so hard to catch up! LOL We all had a great time at our Mid-South RU--LOTS of everything: good fellowship, fun, laughter, food and plants! DH went with me and there were 4 other "menfolk" who were there, too, so he didn't feel like a fish out of water. We put some names and faces together and met up with others whom we had previously met. It was a great time.(I think I said that before.)
Joey: now you know where I have been--LOL! I don't have a clue on the trivia.
Deb: welcoome back! We wondered where you have been. That Brazilian Petunia is aptly named--such a fiery color!
Kiska: that is a great photo of the different colored trees--nice contrast in the leaf colors! I can't imagine the howling winds and the snow this early in the season--but I guess it isn't early for Alaska. You should have recorded the howling winds--then you could play it back for the "trick-or-treaters" on Halloween--do you celebrate Halloween up there?
Dyson: looks as if your temps are very close to what we are having these days.
Ric: that looks like a wonderful closet--lots of storage there!
Adina: thank Duke for the puppy "kisses"--LOL Your flowers are so pretty! I've not seen an oxalis exactly like that--how about a photo of the plant. I would like to see if it is similar to what I know of as an oxalis.
se_eds: so glad your nice weather is continuing--enjoy it while it lasts!
Sidney: the chili sounds good but, IMO, it still a bit too warm,temperature-wise, to be eating chili. I really like chili when the weather is cold. Another gorgeous coleus--but then, I'm not surprised. :o))
Kelli: I enlarged your photo of the sign and I couldn't tell what it said, either. Too fuzzy when enlarged a lot. I'm enjoying the photos of your vacation.
Rann: I'm enjoying your vacation photos, too. However, I'm so sorry about the problems there in Iceland as well as about the fibromyalgia. Selma and Hildur Eva are beautiful, as usual. They both have the sweetest faces--like their Mother!
Marylyn: the thing about cleaning house before company comes is that you usually have to do it again after they leave! LOL
Sharon: where are you?

Currently: 75 and cloudy; UV Index low (haven't seen that in a while); Wind out of the E at 9 mph;Humidity 71%; Pressure 30.15 and steady;Dew Point at 64f;Visibility 10 miles; Tonight: Low 65; 10% chance of rain

Here's a link to my Picasa website where you can see some pics of the buildings and grounds where we had our RU.
http://picasaweb.google.com/marsue777/ExteriorPhotosMostlyOfTerryeSAndRaySPlace?authkey=i78axoHMHlY#

This message was edited Oct 12, 2008 6:12 PM
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2008
11:17 PM

Post #5663493

Thanks for the welcome back, y'all. :) Life would be so much easier if we didn't have to have a job.

Sounds like we have a real variety of weather today. Snow, heat, wind, sunshine ...Here we have our 3rd straight day of rain. It's the good kind, at least, gentle and steady. But doggone-it -- it comes on my long weekend! Oh well. We need it.

Adina: pretty pinks! I think that 4th one is alyssum.
Rann: Your girls look so cute there at the shore.
Kelli: cool canyon shots!
Joey: As long as all 200,000 aren't on the bridge at the same time! :) On the trivia, I'll go with a wild guess and go with the obvious D.
Sidney: Beautiful coleus, as always. So nice!
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #5663501

Hi Marsue: We cross-posted. Your weather sounds very much like ours today.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2008
11:54 PM

Post #5663670

Humid. Can feel the cold front coming in with the rain.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2008
1:58 AM

Post #5664225

Kelli I know exactly where that is... pretty close to my BIL's house.
The Wildlife Station is about 8 miles or so from him.
I'll call him tomorrow. Thanks for the update I missed it!

Well more framing and we dry fitted the new windows today.
85 degrees!
Man I usually love working in the cool crisp Fall weather here...lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2008
4:08 AM

Post #5664732

59F and clear here tonight with plenty of sunshine and a high near 80 expected tomorrow. Sunshine and occasional showers in the 10 day forecast.

Kiska...Snow! Oh no! It's not unusual for us to have October snows here. I've seen heavy wet snows strip the trees almost bare just as they reached their peak fall color.

Ric...Your project is looking good. This is a great time of year to do anything outside.

Adina...Nice flower photo series.

se_eds...Autumn truly is a glorious time of year.

The nights have been on the cold side here but the days are warm and mostly sunny. The leaves have really turned in the past week. I've picked most of my apples except for the Red Romes and the Winesaps. Most of the flower beds are cleaned out for winter and ready for a topcoat of compost. Winter will be here before we know it.

Photo: Self portrait of me as I biked through the autumn countryside yesterday evening.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
9:59 AM

Post #5665082

Well, I missed the jump! We had a great weekend. Too warm and humid for me for this time of year. Really hoping things cool down soon, but it won't this week. Apparently we'll be in the upper 80's by the end of the week again.

I have some good news! Gary's tumor markers are at 0 - yeah the big ZERO!! He has to go through 2 more sessions of chemo to make sure they stay at 0. So...if things goes well he should be done by the 2nd week in November. Chemo begins again today.

I'm running a little late this morning. So I'll check back in later.

75.0 F / 23.9 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 69 F / 20 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 75 F / 24 C
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1300 ft / 396 m
Scattered Clouds 2600 ft / 792 m
Mostly Cloudy 4800 ft / 1463 m
Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft / 3962 m

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 11 am this morning to 7 PM EDT this evening...(really hope it doesn't remove any new buds)

Today
Mostly cloudy and windy with a chance of showers in the morning...then partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 80. Northeast winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts to 30 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2008
10:05 AM

Post #5665088

Good morning everyone!

It's cloudy, quite breezy and 44F this morning. Rain in the forecast.

The nation is in a state of shock and we've just assumed the brace position waiting for the next calamity to hit. Still things are worse for Icelanders in Britain and Denmark at least where they can't access their bank accounts in Iceland and are therefore without money to buy food.
marsue - thanks :-) Glad you had a good time at the RU - sounds like it was great fun :-)

Kelli - sorry to hear about the fires. Gorgeous scenery there!

EB - great shot! Some lovely color there in the background :-)

Ric - looking great!

Adina - beautiful flowers :-) Can you post a photo of the greenhouse when you're done?

Joey - yeah it's pretty difficult to be so dependant on imports at times like this. But I think it's good to stop and re-evaluate what's important in life once in a while and times like this really force you to do that. We've got each other and that's really all that matters.

Sharon - that is GREAT news :-) Best news I've heard all week! So happy for you all :-)

Well, here's hoping this will be a relatively disaster free day!

Rann

This was pretty much the extent of the fall colors here - this was taken Sept. 30th. Many of the trees are bare now.

This message was edited Oct 30, 2008 5:44 PM

Thumbnail by rannveig

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2008
10:09 AM

Post #5665094

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEB!

Cool, Dry and Dark this morning.
Hot and Dry this afternoon.

Off to work.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2008
10:12 AM

Post #5665099

Shoot, I missed that again ;-) lol

Happy Birthday Deb! :-) Hope you have a great one!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
1:02 PM

Post #5665451

Happy Birthday, Deb!!! I hope you have a wonderful one. :-)

That's awful about the banks, Rann. :-(

Yayyy! for the Dodgers, Kelli! They looked awake last night! :-) Hopefully they can hang on to that tonight and tie the series up.

It's going to be a muggy day here; highs in the mid 80s with a 20% chance of rain. It didn't take TOO long to clean the house last Friday, but we had 2 15 month old boys here and I had to sort through all of the toys and put up all of the marbles/small balls/ little counting kitties/ etc. that they might have swallowed. The toys were well past due for a good sorting job anyway. :-) It was really fun to hear those two little guys chattering and giggling through the house. :-) (We also had 6 grownups and 4 older kids here (besides the ones that live here), so chattering and giggling were pretty rampant anyway. LOL)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CDT (49 min ago)
Temperature 74 F 23 C
Dew Point 70 F 21 C
Humidity 87%
Pressure 30.07 in 1018.4 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir E 90
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 78 F 26 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 73.0F / 22.8C
6 hour max temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 73.9F / 23.3C
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 13, 2008
2:58 PM

Post #5665873

27F Light snow mist.
Mostly cloudy with scattered snow showers in the morning...then partly cloudy in the afternoon.
Highs in the 30s. Light winds.
Happy Birthday, Deb~ have a wonderful day.
Good morning all, will be back later this afternoon.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2008
3:40 PM

Post #5666020

Yea!!!!! to Gary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We knew he could do it!!!

Deb, Happy B-Day! I missed that when I started looking at posts today.

Beautifukl flowers, Rann. I love your attitude about the whole banking issue. Yes, you do have each other and nothing can take THAT away from you!

Glad you had a nice time, Mau. Great pictures.

Yes, we had snow but it's all gone now.

35F with 48 for our high today.
Feels like: 32F

Barometer: 30.5 in ↑
Dewpoint: 31
Humidity: 86%
Wind: 3 mph NNW
Sunrise: 7:37 AM
Sunset: 6:49 PM
UV Index: 4 Low

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #5666096

Wow! I missed the big news about Gary the first time.. (Serves me right for reading the thread before having caffeine! LOL) YAYYY!!! That's wonderful news!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2008
4:55 PM

Post #5666320

I thought you guys might find this interesting: http://mbl.is/mm/frettir/sjonvarp/20433/

This river (Skaft) floods several times a year because of thermal activity beneath the glacier where it originates from. The flood has lasted about 2 days and is diminishing now. This flood is one of the biggest ones in years according to sources.

Marylyn - my house is never fit for company either ... I tell myself it's because I have kids ;-) lol

Celia - thanks :-) Beautiful photo of the snow covered rose.

Kiska - gorgeous photo :-)

This is turning out to be a pretty disaster-free day so far, which is a welcome change :-)

Rann
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2008
4:59 PM

Post #5666347

Rann we used to say that TOO!
Course now that the kids have moved out it's the Construction... LOL!

Sharon GREAT NEWS!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2008
5:15 PM

Post #5666444

That was interesting, Rann.

A side question...do Hildur Eva and Selma speak English and Icelandic?
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 13, 2008
6:32 PM

Post #5666701

Happy birthday, Deb!

That's great news about Gary!

My house isn't fit for company either. It's not kids and it's not construction. I'm just not much for keeping up with the housekeeping.

It is very windy. It's not so much the strength of the wind but the constantness of it.

Updated: 10:51 AM PDT on October 13, 2008
70 F / 21 C
Clear
Humidity: 12%
Dew Point: 15 F / -9 C
Wind: 22 mph / 35 km/h / 9.8 m/s from the NNE
Wind Gust: 29 mph / 46 km/h / 12.9 m/s
Pressure: 30.19 in / 1022 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
UV: 5 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

Fire burning north of here. It started an hour ago and is going like - well - wildfire. I am downwind from this, but at this time it's too far away to worry about. In the picture, it looks like it is a block away, but really it's more like 10 miles.

Thumbnail by Kelli

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
6:33 PM

Post #5666705

Happy Birthday Deb!
Hope you have a great year of health, wealth and gardens.
EB love you shadow portraits.
Sharon, hooray for Gary!
Celia such a chilly, pretty rose.
Mausue, RUs are so much fun.
Rann, hang in there.
Marylyn, I bet those 15mo younguns just loved the party.
Seeds don't work too hard today.
Saw showers all down the east coast of FL, but not here.
81.0 F / 27.2 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 56%
Dew Point: 64 F / 18 C
Wind: 11.4 mph / 18 km/h from the NE
Wind Gust: 16.3 mph / 26 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 83 F / 28 C
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 13, 2008
6:35 PM

Post #5666716

From the back yard it looks even more ominous. Notice how dark it is right above the trees.

Thumbnail by Kelli

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
6:36 PM

Post #5666720

Kelli, so glad you checked in.
Do stay up with that wildfire.
That's a scary picture.
;)
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2008
6:36 PM

Post #5666722

Happy Birthday Deb!!

Cloudy here. The rain has held off til tonight. It will then rain tonight, tomorrow and end Weds morning. Supposedly. Won't believe it til it gets here. lol. Windy out too.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 13, 2008
6:37 PM

Post #5666726

What is that critter, Sidney? Note to self: Decline all dinner invitations to Sidney's house. Talk about scary, LOL!

Thumbnail by Kelli

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
6:40 PM

Post #5666732

Times are rough!
;)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 13, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #5666750

Is it a groundhog?
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
6:48 PM

Post #5666762

Small wild boar.
I'll stick an apple in it's mouth and roast it slow.
(After gutting of course.)
;0
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2008
7:45 PM

Post #5666950

HOORAY FOR GARY! God bless him!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEB! and may you have many, many more!
Sharon: I know that is Jeff but it doesn't look like Sylvester nor Boo.
EB: I, too, enjoy your "self-portraits". Our trees haven't begun changing colors yet. It's a little early for that down here. We'll probably see them start to turn in the next couple of weeks, though.
Rann: I love your picture of the autumn colors there. Your bridge over the little
pond is so pretty. That's an interesting link you posted. Unfortunately, I couldn't understand a word of it. LOL It's a good thing you interpreted it for us. Thanks.
Kiska: that's a beautiful scene in your photo. Is it a painting on a plate or something similar?
Celia: your rose looks almost like a snowcone--one where all the coloring went to the bottom--LOL!
Marylyn: boy, you had a houseful! Were the 15 mo. olds twins are were they from two separate families and just happened to be the same age?
Kelli: didn't you just go through fires in your area a few months ago? Those photos certainly do look as if that fire is closer than 10 miles to you.
Sidney--surely you jest! LOL

For some reason my weather page won't let me copy and paste anymore :o((
I have to write it down and type it out here. That's why my weather forecasts are so much shorter these days! LOL
We had a slow drizzle this morning. It has stopped now but it is still overcast. Currently 72 with a low tonight of 62 and a high tomorrow of 81. Very pleasant weather all in all and quite similar to what some of you are having.

Here's another photo from the RU this week-end. A yellow sulphur on a salvia/sage of some kind.

Thumbnail by marsue

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2008
8:28 PM

Post #5667082

EB: I ilke your self portrait. Beautiful countryside.
Sharon: Very good Gary news!

Rann: Thanks for the B'day wish. I've spent the day in the garden, so that adds up to pretty happy for me!
By the way, I'd be happy to send you anything you need if it comes to that. Just Dmail!
Ric: Thanks! Beautiful plumeria!

Thanks, Marylyn!
Kiska: What a beautiful photo, and I like the way you framed the snowy mntn. with flowers. :)
Celia: Thanks! Can't believe there's snow in the Lower 48 already.

Kelli: I'm like you. No real excuse, just hate housework! Hope that fire keeps its distance
from you.
Sidney: OMG. Did I miss something, or do you need to explain that picture??? LOL.

Thanks also to Pepper and Marsue for the birthday happies!

Today the sun finally came out after 3 straight days of rain (totalling about 5"). Sunny and 76 at the moment, breezy. I spent the day in the garden, digging caladium bulbs, weeding. Perfect day really. :)
Deb
(Birthday flowers from DH.)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 13, 2008
8:49 PM

Post #5667180

Marsue, there were fires a couple hundred miles north of here back earlier in the summer, not around here. Any pictures that I had that might have shown burned areas were from areas that burned last year or before.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2008
8:57 PM

Post #5667207

Sunny, Bright, Clear & 70
Happy birthday Deb.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2008
9:49 PM

Post #5667440

Thanks, Dyson!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 13, 2008
10:17 PM

Post #5667597

28 sunny 2pm.
This morning's drive to Wasilla was horrendous ~the very worst icy road was here at my road. It was closed after I'd made it down the hill with heart pounding and car sliding.
It's now been sanded and was easy coming up/home.
marsue~the photo is one I'd taken of Pioneer Peak. I added brush strokes to the edges and then a frame using Corel Photo. I've used the photo on a couple of cards, too. Weather does sound good down there.
kelli~awesome looking smoke~hope it's still a ways from your home. So sorry for the ones in it's path.
Marylyn~what a busy household~lots of activity and fun going on. Glad you're back to normal after the storm.
rann~thanks~good news that so far it's been a disaster-free day. Now, go for 2;)
Sidney~like marsue~ are you kidding? Impressive photo~
Dyson~looks great to see sunny and bright on your post.
Deb~he did good; gorgeous flowers.
MySharona~wonderful news/Gary's progress; excellent.
Taken 2 years ago but looks like this today.

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
10:49 PM

Post #5667734

Im finally at a point where I can comment and realize I am so far behind LOL!

Deb HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Hope you had a wonderful day :)
Sidney Beautiful Datura!
Dyson Thank you for the Birthday Wishes!
Celia - I love Tepanyaki!
Adina Wow - Beautiful sunset!
Kelli I LOLd at It looks like "Suighurdgle", which of course isn't anything.
Rann Ive heard of spelt flour, does it taste like wheat? Your 2 gems are beautiful!
Ric Thank you for the info on the lens. Its on my wish list LOL! The FPR is really coming along!
Celia SNOW!!
Joey Going with isobar A
Marsue Sounds like you had a great time! The pictures are wonderful LOVE the fireplace LOL!
Deb I always say work interferes with my personal life!
Pepper Send that cold front my way!
E_B- Great shot!
Rann I really hope things turn around for your economy. And, you are right, family is most important. I try to keep the house clean, but am unfortunately not super tidy at heart! When in need I call Mitzi The Queen of Clean. She doesnt hold my untidiness against me.
Kiska- Cool picture!
Marsue Thats my Granny Kitty Callie :) Remember she loves Blue Days!
Deb - Beautiful birthday flowers :)
Kiska Christmas card picture! Thats beautiful! So glad you made it safely down the hill. :O

Whew! Deep breath LOL!

75.4 F / 24.1 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 76%
Dew Point: 67 F / 20 C
Wind: 5.4 mph / 8.7 km/h / 2.4 m/s from the SE
Wind Gust: 8.8 mph / 14.2 km/h
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 77 F / 25 C
Clouds: Few 2600 ft / 792 m
Mostly Cloudy 4100 ft / 1249 m
Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft / 3962 m

Now
Through 730 PM...scattered showers continue moving into Starke... mcclenney...Saint Augustine and Lake Butler. The showers are moving west at 20 miles an hour.

Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 7 PM EDT this evening...

Tonight
Partly cloudy and windy. Numerous showers and isolated thunderstorms through early evening. Areas of fog after midnight. Low 68. Northeast 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph decreasing to 5 to 10 mph after midnight. Chance of rain 60%.

Candle Sticks for my birthday from the boys

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
10:50 PM

Post #5667740

Console table from Jeff

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2008
10:56 PM

Post #5667766

LOL - Ric and Kelli. Regarding the lack of housekeeping skills - I guess it just comes down to the fact that we prefer spending time out in the garden ;-) lol

Sidney - Yikes! I agree with Deb - I think we need the full story on that one ;-) lol

Kiska - I love that photo. Glad you made it safely down the road - sounds scary.

Kelli - That cloud of smoke looks ominously close - hope the fire gets under control soon!

marsue - Yeah I thought a slight explantion would be in order. I was pretty sure you'd have some trouble following that story ;-) lol

Celia - the girls speak Icelandic, but Selma started learning English last year in school so she knows a few words ;-)

It's been a quiet day today, no big disasters. Here's hoping for some good news tomorrow :-)

Here's a weather update : It's raining outside, it's Dyson Dark and 43F.

Hope you all have a good evening :-)

Rann

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #5667798

Oh, Sharon! I love that console table with the cute little kitty on it.

The snow has all gone away and it's kind of hot out now. The thermometer on the window says 46. but I don't believe it 'cuz it feels more like 60.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #5667826

Sharon - we cross-posted. Beautiful presents! :-) Spelt flour is supposedly healthier than wheat flour (more protein) and can be used in it's place. It has the advantage that you can use whole-wheat spelt flour in cakes unlike regular whole-wheat which would turn the cake into a slab of concrete ;-) It has a slightly different taste, but I like it better and so does my stomach (it really can't take too much white sugar and flour). DH prefers white flour, but he's getting used to the spelt ;-) lol

Another pretty snow photo Celia :-) I don't think I've ever seen a snow covered californian poppy before.

This message was edited Oct 13, 2008 11:06 PM
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2008
11:06 PM

Post #5667835

Was working on the porch door, had to quit because it got to dark to see what I was trying to do. Well there is always tomorrow - or the day after.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #5667850

Celia: another frozen flower!
Kiska: So glad you made it down the hill safely and back home again safely. That photo makes me want to start singing "Jingle Bells". I just can't envision having that kind of snow in October--lived in the south too long, I guess.
Rann: glad it was quiet on the economic front and that tomorrow will be a better day for Icelanders.
Sharon: gorgeous candlesticks and console table. "the boys" did good!
Deb: your DH did good with those pretty flowers, too.

Currently 74 and sunny--the clouds went away and the sun came out but not for long--it is in the process of going down in the west. We'll probably have about another hour of daylight.

Gypsy rosebud with Samantha Lantana in the background (yellow flower)

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #5667853

We cross-posted, Dyson. good luck with the porch door--another day!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #5667860

Thanks, Rann. When I first sowed the seeds for them, I was unaware they would come back so well. They're a bit invasive but I have other things near them that will keep them in check.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #5668318

Well! I sure have missed a lot! I was here this morning just for a sec to see if Sharon had posted any news about Gary. Yippee!!! And such good news it was! :D But I couldn't stay inside. I've been out all day long, w/a really nice temp of 75. This mornin' was a little chilly (43), but some folks around here were in the mid 30's.
At Dublin...
Clear: 66F
Feels like: 66F
Barometer: 30.4 in
Dewpoint: 50
Humidity: 56%
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:30 AM
Sunset: 6:47 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Happy Birthday! Debi!! :D What a great way to spend 'your' day! And DH has good taste! Beautiful! ;)
Kelli! Please stay safe! Those pics are real scary! I saw on the news where the fire had jumped a free-way! and some folks were evacuated...I hope it's not coming to your house. But ~ I really had to laugh when you declined a dinner invitation! :D
Sidney, That looks like something in the rodent family...need more info! And what kind of gun are ya totin'? A 22 lever action?
Marsue! LOL I think she must be 'jesting'! :D Glad that you had a great time at the RU. I have never been able to go to one. :( Maybe one day... btw..Gorgeous Rose!
Kiska, Love your pics...very creative! ;)
E_B, Great 'action' shot! Great color, too! :D
Sharon, Love the candle sticks & console table...your guys sure have great taste! ;)
Rann, I'm hoping you get good news tomorrow as well. :) Gee The water is absolutely wild! I think the word would be torrential!
Celia, Great snow pics...The 'dusting' is gorgeous on flowers, huh? ( OK tombstones too! ;)
Dyson, The door will be there when you decide to get r done ;)
Marylyn, Sounds as if you had a really good time w/ company! :D I love it when everyone is laughing &/or giggling! :D

The answer to the trivia is...C
Streamlines around a low pressure are counterclockwise.

Good Nite all! :D
Joey

(at the river)

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #5668334

OK...1 more shot.

Thumbnail by music2keep

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5668342

Oooops...that was the blurry one!

This is a better one...

Thumbnail by music2keep

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2008
1:04 AM

Post #5668348

All the flowers are gorgeous!

The fire caused a bit of a stir for my BIL.
He lives off the 210 and takes the 5 and 118 every morning... welllllll... not this morning.
The 118 was closed because of smoke and fear of a fire jump.
Luckily the winds are not blowing toward them... but a back door fire... yikes!
He's right off Big Tujunga Canyon Road near the Reservoir.

HOT here!
Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 14, 2008
5:41 AM

Post #5669202

Joey~the river is gorgeous~especially the last with trees beginning to change and the rapids in the foreground. What is the bird?
Hope all's well with your BIL, ric. What a worry for that part of California.
All the flower photos are gorgeous~love poppy in the snow.
28* with more snow tonight.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2008
9:57 AM

Post #5669375

Thanks! The guys did good this year : )
Celia Pretty flower in the snow pic! Ive posted a better picture of the console and kitty. There is a story behind the kitty (carved wood - can't remember the type of wood). Two years ago a couple lived across the street and 2 houses to the right. They had a couple of tuxedo cats that were outdoor cats. The Daddy of them all was Jasper, who always came over to our house. He would come in and fall asleep, there were times we did know he was here. The couple moved and took Jasper, but left Sylvester and his sister kitty. We kept Sylvester and another couple took the sister kitty. The little kitty statue is a reminder of Jasper he was the coolest cat I ever met LOL!
Rann Im going to try the spelt flour. We have a health food store, they should have it.
Marsue Beautiful rose!
Celia I like your flowerbed
Joey Beautiful river pictures! Is that the New River?

73.6 F / 23 C
Clear
Humidity: 64%
Dew Point: 60 F / 16 C
Wind Gust: 4.4 mph / 7 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 76 F / 25 C
Clouds: Clear

Today
Partly cloudy and breezy. High 81. Northeast winds 15 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2008
10:04 AM

Post #5669379

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DYSON!!! I hope you have a wonderful day!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2008
10:12 AM

Post #5669388

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DYSON!

Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2008
11:01 AM

Post #5669445

Happy Birthday!!! Dyson!!! Hope you have a very happy one! :D
It's Dyson Dark & our temp is 47.

Clear: 45F
Feels like: 45F
Barometer: 30.4 in
Dewpoint: 45
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 4 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:30 AM
Sunset: 6:46 PM

Sharon, Thanks, It's the New River...
Kiska, Thanks...I don't think that it's a Heron (too fat). The name escapes me! :D LOL
Ric, Glad that the wind isn't blowing in your BIL's direction.
Kelli, I hope you are OK!

The trivia for the day is...
What is a low pressure system that is warmer at its center than at its periphery?
a) Warm-Core Low
b) Warm Low
c) Hot Low
d) Warm Occlusion

Have a Great Day! All! :D
Joey

(up behind the house)

Thumbnail by music2keep

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2008
11:11 AM

Post #5669459

Good morning!

It's fairly calm, 40F and a light cloud cover this morning.

Dyson - Happy Brithday :-) Hope you have a wonderful, relaxing day!

Sharon - great gifts. Such a cute cat statue :-)

Joey - wow! Gorgeous photo of the river. When the glacial rivers flood like that they really stink I'm told (sulphur I'm guessing), I've never been there to see it and smell it with my own nose ;-) lol

We're feeling a bit like the smallest kid on the school playground that's getting bullied by all the bigger kids ... it really sucks. I hate bullies.

Hope you all have a good day!

Rann

This message was edited Oct 30, 2008 5:48 PM
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2008
1:13 PM

Post #5669720

Happy Birthday, Dyson!!! I hope you have a wonderful day. ^_^

Sharon, that table and the vases are beautiful! Your boys really DID do a great job! :-) That was a sweet story about Jasper. I'm sure you missed him a lot when he and his family moved. He probably missed you, too!

I'm sorry, Rann. I hate bullies, too. :-(

I hope your BIL's house remains safe and they get this fire under control quickly, Ric!

We had 3 families here on Friday, 2 of them had kids. The two little guys just happen to be very close to the same age, but are not related.

It's raining! Yayy! There are 4 tropical events-of-interest in the Atlantic! Booo! So far only Tropical Depression #15 (soon to be T. S. Omar) looks very likely to cause too much ickiness. Puerto Rico is going to get slammed - again! - and then Omar is expected to become a hurricane and head north. It's too soon to say if and when it will make landfall after that.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (11 min ago)
Temperature 77 F 25 C
Dew Point 73 F 23 C
Humidity 87%
Pressure 30.08 in 1018.6 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir ESE 110
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 8 mi 12.9 km
Heat Index 82 F 28 C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 75.9F / 24.4C
Right Now Issued 7:00am CDT -- Tue, Oct 14, 2008
Scattered showers and thunderstorms will continue to develop over the coastal waters this morning and move northwest at 10 to 15 mph. Rainfall amounts will average between a tenth and a quarter inch.

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2008
2:01 PM

Post #5669870

Happy Birthday Dyson You have been a wonderful friend to me.
I expect to see Dyson Dark in Wikipedia any day.
Sharon those gifts are absolutely beautiful. Your guys have great taste.
Joey, I have a new background on my lap top. I miss crisp rivers and the great smells.
Kiska, Celia, and Rann stay warm. Hard to think so cold when it's
79.2 F / 26.2 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 57 F / 14 C
Wind: 10.5 mph / 16 km/h from the ENE
Wind Gust: 14.5 mph / 23 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Rising)
Marsue pretty rose.
Here is a sliver of a picture of the real me.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2008
2:22 PM

Post #5669944

Sharon - I'd also recommend agave syrup instead of sugar if you're thinking along those lines. It's very sweet so you can get away with 75 - 50% less compared to sugar and it's pure fructose (which doesn't cause the sharp rise in blood glucose levels that white sugar does). It's horribly expensive though, at least here.

Marylyn - here's hoping Omar won't amount to anything ... ;-)

Rann

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2008
2:42 PM

Post #5670009

No time for comments this morning except...great pics, everyone. Happy B-Day, Dyson!!!

35F with a high of 55 today. We had our first frost.
Feels like: 28F

Barometer: 30.4 in ↑
Dewpoint: 28
Wind: 9 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:38 AM
Sunset: 6:47 PM

Japanese Maple leaf.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #5670138

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DYSON--HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!
Joey, love the river pics! Your leaves are beginning to turn, too.
Sharon: sweet story about Jasper. The console table looks beautiful!
Rann: I hate bullies, too! Iceland sounds like the "smallest kid on the block".
Marylyn: someone told me once that when company comes you are glad twice: You are glad when they arrive and you are glad when they leave! LOL I'm hoping Omar will dissipate somewhere in the Caribbean.
Sidnay: I knew you were "jesting"! LOL
Celia: are all your flowers and plants frozen? Sure hope not!

Overcast this morning and cool--currently 73 looking for a high later today of 81
I need to get outside and plant the things I brought home from the RU this past week-end.

Here's another rose: Miss All American Beauty with fan flower to the left and tomato plant growing out of control to the right

Thumbnail by marsue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2008
4:17 PM

Post #5670321

Happy Birthday Dyson!!!

It's currently in the mid 50s, cloudy and wet from the rain we got last night.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #5670453

The problem really isn't bullies it's that Iceland decided to play w/ the the big kids and couldn't keep up.
The interest rates they were paying out were WAY too high.
Just like the ones we were charging were too low.
The same thing happened to Japan about 10 years ago.
They are flush now!
Island nations just have to import too much stuff.
If there's problems in the countries they import from... they are stuck.
Not anybody's fault but the bankers.
They should be held responsible.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #5670506

I'm not saying the banks weren't at fault. The fact of the matter is that about 20 people are responsible for this mess, and the entire nation is taking the fall. OK we couldn't keep up with the big kids, that's true, but that doesn't mean the big kids have the right to beat us up ... I don't really think there's any need to add insult to injury. Things are bad enough without it. All I can say is who needs enemies when you have "friends" like that.

The Icelandic symphony orchestra has been "dis-invited" to Japan because "we" can't be trusted financially. A danish newspaper is comparing us to Simbabwe. I'm sorry that's just wrong. We have one of the highest literacy rates in the world and a very high percentage of people with university degrees. There are a lot of hard working, HONEST, competent people in this country and we can take care of ourselves. We're just not getting the chance to do it at the moment. And that's very frustrating. Every single Icelandic company is getting shunned because of those three banks. And I ask - what will become of us if every business in this country fails because the world turned their backs on us? I honestly don't think we deserve that kind of treatment. And for the record, banks have failed in other countries besides Iceland ...

This message was edited Oct 14, 2008 5:38 PM
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 14, 2008
5:52 PM

Post #5670590

Happy Birthday, Dyson~ hope it's a bright and beautiful day, too.
MySharona~Love the table and how it's accessorized:))
Occasional light snow. Additional snow accumulation 1 to 2 inches. Highs in the 30s. Light winds.
rann~it's a mess for sure; hopefully reason will win out and this will come to a good ending.
music2keep~ d ~ how's "our" little guy these days? It's time for a JW pic:))
I have my 4 yearold gson for a couple of hours today; never a dull moment~he loves leggos and snacks:)
This is the gdaughter/family that's leaving Alaska tomorrow.

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2008
7:37 PM

Post #5670965

Rann: What can I say? Just know that we are all thinking about you, for what it's worth.
Kiska: I know that tomorrow is going to be hard for all of you. Your house will certainly be empty after they leave. However, as you have told me, the family is looking forward to their new life in Washington. Hopefully you can all look at it as being not "Good-by" but "Until we meet again".

Europeana

Thumbnail by marsue

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 14, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #5671057

Happy Birthday Dyson ! Have a wonderful sunny day!
Happy Belated , Deb ! Your DH's flowers are beautiful!
Sharon, wonderful news about Gary, I'm so happy, yeah! The table and kitty is so cute, also the candle sticks. Cute story about Jasper !
Marsue, your roses are gorgeous! Loved the pics from the RU, the fall decorations are so nice. I think the plant you love is Jacobinia. I'll post a picture with the oxalis for you.
Kiska, wow, so much snow, but it is so beautiful, great picture! So sweet your gdaughter with the snowman !
Joey, so nice to see the river again, why are you saying it's the new river? Hugs to JW!
Celia, those poppies are so beautiful...poor things, now covered with snow!
Ric, the frames are looking great! Are you doing it all by yourself?
Sidney, you are too funny! You really shot that little guy?
E_B, wonderful self portrait! Love those trees turning!
Marylyn, I bet you had such fun with those 2 little cuties and your bunnies aswell! Any pics?
Rann, I'm sorry your country is going through such crisis, but I'm sure it'll all be fixed and you will get help from the other countries. I have a picture of the GH, not a real one, just a sunny room where I can keep my plants. I don't have any shelves yet and this is frustrating for me...my plants are always the last for DH when it comes to investing some money for them...ugh!
This is from outside.
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 14, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #5671079

Also, we did another arrangement of the furniture. This is the coach and armchairs in the family room.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 14, 2008
8:03 PM

Post #5671094

This is the dinning room...excuse the mess!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 14, 2008
8:05 PM

Post #5671105

Marsue, this is my oxalis.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2008
8:45 PM

Post #5671252

Adina - your plant room looks good :-) and the others too ;-) Very pretty oxalis! Thanks.

DH was so beat when he got home from work today. He works at one of the savings banks still standing and he says it's becoming a hopeless battle. If you're Icelandic you can't get credit anywhere, and they can't even transfer money out of the country. No one will take the icelandic krona at the moment :-( Students abroad are sending out a cry for help since many of them have run out of money for food and can't access their accounts ...

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2008
8:54 PM

Post #5671285

What mess, Adina? LOL I see one thing out of place. My whole house is a disaster!

No, Mau, the flowers are not frozen. They bounced back without a problem. The blooms I showed pics of are still there and showing beautifully.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2008
10:17 PM

Post #5671679

Rann, I hope things get straightened out soon for your country. That's strange that the symphony orchestra was dis-invited. Who is paying whom? It's the Japanese paying the Icelandic musicians, isn't it?

Adina, your house looks so fresh. I can almost smell the new paint.

Speaking of smell, it smells like smoke everywhere. The fire nearest me has moved to where I can't see the smoke anymore. It is still windy.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on October 14, 2008
88 F / 31 C
Clear
Humidity: 10%
Dew Point: 24 F / -4 C
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h / 3.6 m/s from the East
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1015 hPa (Falling)
UV: 5 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

the last of the vacation pictures
Joshua trees in California

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2008
10:18 PM

Post #5671685

Now you know almost as much about Baker, CA as I do.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 14, 2008
10:19 PM

Post #5671689

the aforementioned thermometer

Thumbnail by Kelli

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #5672004

Kelli - those Joshua trees are really neat. Those fires are really scary - made it on the news here tonight. Yeah - it was really weird about the orchestra. They'd been invited and were sponsored by some Japanese company so they weren't paying for the trip. They'd been preparing for it for 2 years. Not sure what harm they could do the Japanese - speculations that the sponsors couldn't sell enough tickets. I guess no one wants to listen to Icelandic musicians these days ...
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 15, 2008
12:00 AM

Post #5672051

Thanks, marsue~could be some tears tomorrow:)) But, they are quite excited and the thought of all the differences between here and Seattle, is also exciting to them.
Adina~the plants look great there; your new home is so bright and cheerful; been great to watch it being built.
rann~you are probably stronger than you realize; but keeping up a strong front, especially for the girls' sake, must be stressful. Take care as best you can; we're here.
kelli~wow~ Baker's thermometer is one of a kind~ hope the fires are being brought under control by now.er
kwanjin~they look great even now. Tough flowers.
30* and continues to snow.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5672228

Kelli: Thanks for the tour of Baker! LOL.
Rann: So sorry about what's happening to your country. I hope things change soon, so your life can get back to normal!

Dyson: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope you've had a really great time today!

Sunny and warm today. High was somewhere round 80. Now, clear an 64..and Dyson dark. :)
Deb
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2008
1:00 AM

Post #5672325

DYSON - HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY FRIEND !!!!
Kelli stay safe, those fires really look bad.

Rann, you country is not alone, yet I understand your frustration - it must be especially hard with your husband working in finance. A lot of people say the finance crises doesn;t affect them - they have yet to lean that is does. My husband had lived through the last major depression in 1929. He says it will be rough for many families - people will survive by being frugal.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2008
1:08 AM

Post #5672358

Rann I like Icelandic music!
They can play here... besides we have better food here than Japan as we cook ours! LOL!

Adina, Robyn and I are doing all the work.
I've done a little framing before but nothing on this scale.
It's the biggest project we've tackled for sure but coming along.
The inside work will be a breeze! LOL!

We actually got a little rain today... maybe 20 minutes worth...

Ric

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 15, 2008
1:13 AM

Post #5672382

Happy birthday, Dyson! May your nights always be dark - and I mean that in a good way.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2008
2:55 AM

Post #5672871

OOhhhh, I hope I never have a fever that big.
Great looking house Adina,Boring women have spotless houses. LOL
Like a clean slate for you.
Celia I love your laceleaf.
Kiska, I know you'll be Dyson Blue tomorrow.
Marsue, don't the roses love this time of year?
Rann, God is good, all the time and you are in my prayers.
Kelli, I love Joshua Trees.
Joey I'm guessing (a)
;)
Another interesting shot.
~~~~Waving to Deb, Seeds, Ric ~~~~~~~~~~~

Thumbnail by sugarweed

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2008
7:56 AM

Post #5673330

Hi all, thought i'd jump in.
Happy late birthday Dyson and Deb.
I'm often up late and enjoy this forum.Have been a very amateur weather bug since a child esp what its doing around the world. Also love astronomy. well-l-l and most of the other sciences too. Now tell me how can a dingy lil ol lady
possible be interested in any science.
I was never domesticated. My only excuse.

I just heard the most wonderful quote."Boring women have spotless houses." I have to make a big sign with that prominately displayed.

I live in the middle of the Ozark Nat Forest on top of a 2000 ft, mountain. I know---a hill to most of you. but mountain sounds good. The closest town is 38 miles away. Most of my neighbors have either 4 legs,2wings or no legs. I'm very happy up here most of the time. With winter comes the loss of leaves and everything turns grey. By the last of January my cabin fever includes my whole mountain.So have planted spring flowers everywhere i can stick a bulb.Those little green shoots are the most welcome sights in the world.

Rann, Am sorry about your country. My prayers are with you and your country. Am also aware of the intelligent people there as i read of Islandic scientists mentioned fairly frequently. Don't you have someone fairly famous at CERN now?
From what i heard on Bloomburg
You may have some big countries join you. Things are scary right now.

Kelli, the JOSHUA Trees are beautiful. Do you get to go into the desert much? The fires are so dreadful. Stay safe.
Had wanted to post more but am tired and will write more tomorrow. I can only give the barest of weather info for me as i am my only source for my immediate weather any other is about 40 miles away.
Vickie
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2008
10:06 AM

Post #5673422

Good morning!

It's partly cloudy, the sun is out and it's fairly calm this morning. Had some frost last night so I had to get out the window scrapes this morning ... grrrrrrr. Currently it's 38F.

Thank you all for your support, I can't tell you how much it means to me. I'm literally trembling and in tears this morning ... It's getting to be really difficult to keep up a good front for the girls. But we will - we're protecting them from all this mess as much as we can although they've gathered from the news that there's something going on with the banks.

This country has always relied on the fish in the sea and for most of our history that's been the mainstay of our exports. And there's still plenty of fish in the sea. However, now it looks like we won't be able to sell it. Our "friends" in Britain (who seem to be on a mission to ruin this country) have frozen all money transfers to Iceland, so exporters aren't getting money for their products ... It doesn't take a genious to figure out that it won't take long to drive them into bankruptcy that way. On top of that, NO Icelandic company can get credit anywhere, all suppliers are demanding cash only ... also doesn't take a genious to figure out that that won't fly ... no one has cash these days, especially not in foreign currency. So you can see where this is all heading ... What we're dealing with here is this: 3 Icelandic companies made commitments abroad that they couldn't live up to. Therefore Iceland must die. (They were actually selling T-shirts in Britain reading "Bomb Iceland") I don't think any other country in the world would get this kind of treatment. But again who cares about the fate of a measly 300.000 out in the middle of the Atlantic? No one. It's like your bank would deny your entire neighborhood credit because one or two people there are criminals ... and meanwhile the british MP (who I can safely say is the most detested person in the world here in Iceland) is celebrated as a HERO in the European press. What's wrong with these people???????

Ric - LOL thanks for the laugh - I really needed that ;-) lol

cando - Hi! and welcome :-)

I wish you all a wonderful day!

Rann
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2008
10:16 AM

Post #5673430

Thanks! The guys really did a good job. I really think it was Jeff that did the shopping though!
Joey Im going with A, clueless though! LOL!
Rann Bullies are horrible. Grrrr Im so sorry about what is happening in Iceland. It only takes a couple of people to create a disaster. Know that our prayers are with you and please let us know if you need anything.
Marylyn Sounds like you had a fun time on Friday!
Rann Ive never heard of agave syrup. Ill see if the health food store carries it too.
Marsue You have so many roses I cant keep up LOL! They are beautiful.
Kiska- You saw the bowl, huh?! Perfect spot for it and everyone likes it. I know you are going to miss your daughter and grandchildren. Our thoughts are with you today. Shes adorable!
Adina The rooms are looking good! Pretty Oxalis.
Kelli Love the Joshua trees! LOL I used to know some people that lived in Baker. No wonder they wanted to move! Stay safe from those firesscary

What the heck?? Bomb iceland?? That's horrible...

Welcome cando1!

70.5 F / 21.4 C
Clear
Dew Point: 63 F / 17 C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 72 F / 22 C
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers

Today
Mostly sunny. Patchy fog in the morning. High 83. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

The infamous Blue Days are blooming again!

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2008
1:35 PM

Post #5673962

Sharon: Beautiful color aren't they? My lisianthuus are starting to fade. :( The yellow is still going but the blues are done, I'm afraid.

Welcome, Vickie! Sounds lovely up on your mountain. :)

Rann: People just like a scapegoat when things are bad, and it looks like some Brits have chosen Iceland. I'm sure the majority of the folks in the UK don't feel same as the idiots printing those very nasy and distasteful t-shirts. Hang in there. You and your family are in all our thoughts.

ummm - oh yeah - the weather! Sunny and warm today with a high expected at 85. It was 55 at sunrise this morning, which was nice. However, tonight shoudl be back to our normal low about 62.
Plenty of rain the past couple of weeks so we may have some decent fall colors this year.

Joey: Wild guess - "A".

Deb

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2008
2:24 PM

Post #5674176

Rann, I had tears for you this morning, too. Thinking of you always. Seems like there's always room for one more in my heart. You can sit next to Gary, ☺

Welcome, Cando! Always nice the hear from someone new.

Sharon, are you telling us that Callie hasn't squashed that flower yet?

What the heck...I'll guess...D.

40F wiht 62 for later today. It's clear and sunny.
Feels like: 34F

Barometer: 30.2 in ↑
Dewpoint: 33
Wind: 8 mph ESE
Sunrise: 7:39 AM
Sunset: 6:45 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 15, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #5674672

31 Mostly light at 8:30
Occasional light snow...mixing with or changing to rain in the afternoon. Little or no snow accumulation. Highs in the 30s.
North wind 10 mph
We left for the airport in Anchorage at 3:45am.
Roads were a bit icy, but not "terrible".. We got back home at 7:30 am, and by now, they are halfway to Seattle. Thanks for the thoughts~
MySharona~yes, I noticed the bowl, among the other pretty accessories. Love the Blue Day, too.
Welcome, cando.
kwanjin~what a beautiful and bright pic.
Deb~glad to see you're getting some rain~but, 85 is much too warm for October:))
rann~we're here for you and hope just knowing that, helps a bit.
sugarweed~what in the world is in that alligator's mouth?? Oh my gosh that's scary.
ric~how good to be able to do so much yourselves.
Hi all and will get back after a nap.
Anchorage skyline taken in February, from below the airport.

Thumbnail by kiska

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #5674712

Well Rann it looks like Britain is going to do the same thing as the Dutch did...
loan Iceland the money to pay back their depositors living in England.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/oct/14/savings-banking

This will certainly help the situation.
I'd guess they will relax the strength at which they are hammering you also.
Part of the problem...if not most in England... is that 300,000 people invested their money in Iceland to get higher rates on their return...
Dumb Move!

Hope you guys are well and it looks as if the international community is starting to look at helping you!

Ric
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2008
5:22 PM

Post #5674756

That gator has a Buck in it's mouth.
I have been getting some weird e-mails,
I'm just trying to bring some to put a brake in bad news on this thread.
Ms Vicki, welcome to our thread.
It sounds like we could do a swap, you come stay with me a month in February and I spend a month with you in July or August. LOL
When you live at an altitude of 30 feet above sea level, 2,000 feet is a mountain.
My other favorite housekeeping slogan is;
"Pardon my dust and please don't write in it!"
I figure if you can tell us the highs and lows and if it's dry or wet that's a weather report.
My heart goes out to those who are down and you are in my prayers.
80.2 F / 26.8 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 58 F / 15 C
Wind: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h from the ENE
Wind Gust: 8.7 mph / 14 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Falling)
Elevation: 37 ft / 11 m that may be higher than my house is.
The Honeymooners, Meggie and Henry.
;)

Thumbnail by sugarweed

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2008
5:46 PM

Post #5674859

Just a little story to make ya'll smile;
A man riding his Harley was riding along a California beach* * *
*when suddenly the sky clouded above his head and, in * * *
*a booming voice, the Lord said, 'Because you have been *
*such a good man and have been so faithful to me in all *
*ways, I will grant you one wish.'*

*The biker pulled over and said, 'Build a bridge to Hawaii *
*so I can ride over to paradise anytime I want.'*

*The Lord said, 'Your request is very materialistic.*
*There are enormous challenges for that kind of *
*undertaking: the supports required to reach *
*the bottom of the Pacific and the concrete and steel it*
*would take! It will nearly exhaust several natural resources.*
*I can do it, but it is hard for me to justify your desire* * *
*for worldly things. I suggest you take a little more time *
*and wish for something that could possibly help mankind.'*

*The biker thought about it for a long time. Finally, he*
*said, 'Lord, I wish that I and all men could understand *
*our wives and girlfriends. I want to know how she feels, *
*what she's thinking when she gives me the silent *
*treatment, why she cries for no reason, what she*
*means when she says nothing's wrong, and how I *
*can make a woman really happy.'*

*The Lord replied, *

*'You want two lanes or four on that* *bridge?'*

;)

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 15, 2008
8:34 PM

Post #5675348

Just a quick note and a few pics today...I've been cleaning another terrace and I'm beat! I took a few pics in the park today with the leaves turning. BTW, tomorrow you can read an article I wrote about Fall Colors. I hope you'll enjoy it!
Vickie, welcome !
Kelli, I hope the fires stay away from you! Great pics as usual!
Here we go :
#1 poison ivy

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 15, 2008
8:39 PM

Post #5675367

#2 poison ivy on a conifer

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 15, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #5675395

#3 sumac

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 15, 2008
8:45 PM

Post #5675410

#4 oak

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2008
8:47 PM

Post #5675426

Adina, your photos are lovely, but they're making me itch!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2008
8:54 PM

Post #5675456

55* and almost a half inch of rain. I've been canning applesauce and apple slices. Monday, I turned the weeds under in the east garden.

Hello Cando1/ Vickie :o)

Day late to Dyson! Hope it was a good one.

Day later to Deb! Hope it was a warm one :o)

Day very late to Sharon. Hope it was wonderful!

Thumbnail by billyporter

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2008
9:59 PM

Post #5675690

Sidney LOL! I read that to Jeff!
Adina Great pictures! Looking forward to your article :)
Hi Sally! Youve been busy! I wish we had soil like that here.

75.9 F / 24.4 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 65 F / 18 C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 78 F / 25 C
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3600 ft / 1097 m

Tonight
Mostly clear. Areas of dense fog after midnight with visibility one quarter mile or less at times. Low 59. East winds 5 mph shifting to the northwest after midnight.

It probably won't get to 59, but I really wish it would LOL! It's too hot for October. Pink Flame Jacobina.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 15, 2008
10:01 PM

Post #5675697

Adina, your vine looks like Virginia creeper, unless you have a different kind of poison ivy in Europe. American poison ivy has three leaves together and Virginia creeper has five leaves together.

Hot but not windy

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on October 15, 2008
90 F / 32 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 10%
Dew Point: 27 F / -3 C
Pressure: 29.90 in / 1012 hPa (Falling)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 27000 ft / 8229 m
(Above Ground Level)

Here are some pictures from hiking on Saturday.

monarch caterpillar

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 15, 2008
10:02 PM

Post #5675705

California fuschia - I don't know how anything in the wild can be blooming now.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 15, 2008
10:03 PM

Post #5675710

vinegar weed - It really does smell like vinegar, but with something else very strong mixed in. I used to think it smelled absolutely terrible. Now I think it is interesting.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 15, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #5675714

hollyleaf redberry - These are usually done way before Christmas

Thumbnail by Kelli

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2008
11:21 PM

Post #5676005

Sharon, it is pretty nice. Slightly sandy and not too much clay. Jacobina is so pretty!

Kelli, I thought I had poison ivy earlier this year. Turned out to be poison sumac, from a vine. I thought it was virginia creeper. I love the monarchs and grow butterfly weed for them. The fuschia is a beautiful bright color. Cool name and cool scent. Pretty blue flowers too! Love the redberry too.

A monarch for your caterpillar :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2008
11:25 PM

Post #5676016

Sidney:
LOL! Very funny. I love that. :)
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2008
11:36 PM

Post #5676065

Temps are warm and gorgeous. Got another two wheelbarrow loads of back mulch spread and two wheelbarrow loads of debris from the daylily beds. Sunshine and breezes here. Weeds are hard o pull as ground is very dry again. "They" say some rain on Thursday - who knows? Might Happen!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2008
11:40 PM

Post #5676085

Seeds, our rain is headed your way. If it holds, you may get lucky.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2008
12:21 AM

Post #5676253

Rained off and on all day, really hard last night and this morning. Now it's drying out. Dyson Dark. Fall is here now. It's getting dark early.
petralittledog
Salina, KS
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #5676424

we've had just short of 3" of rain over the last 2.5 days or so. The sun was out this afternoon. It has been very dry & when attempting to plant earlier, just gave up & sat the plant down where I wanted it to go, knowing it was supposed to rain. Probably be Friday before its dry enough to dig.

Did get at least 2 vines & another tall plant in, which I have forgotten the names. The tags are outside stuck in the ground. Really would like tp get a map made, as those tags will disappear.

Supposed to get frost tonight, down to 37 or 38.

Really enjoy all the photos. Do not have a camera yet.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 16, 2008
7:58 AM

Post #5677586

Loved the joke. Will giggle all day tomorrow.
Rann. Hope things will get better now. Wish i could buy some of your fish, For mysake.

Such pretty pictures, The colors are fantastic.

The trees here are turning bright colors this year for a change. The dogwoods are turning from a purple to a salmon orange. The berries seem brighter too. One of my hickory,s is turning bright yellow ahead of the others. Sumac and sour gum are turning a bright scarlet. The temps have been above the 30,s so all my flowers are still blooming pinks,yellows,reds,whites,purples and oranges, The goldenrods and asters are everywhere. We are being overrun with deer. Looking forward to some venison to make up for the daylilies they ate this spring. first time they ate my plants,but there were no acorns last winter. They're are an abundance this year tho.

We had a cold front go thru today. Tho no frost is predicted yet. A couple of showers but not enough rain to do much good.

Temp now 47 F
High today 62
Wind NE @6 mph
Cloudy
Visability 8 mi.

Vickie

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 16, 2008
8:51 AM

Post #5677616

Vicki, your garden sounds fantastic! Any pics?
Kelli, thanks, you're right about the ivy. Great pics, love the berries and flowers.
Sally, another project? Is that a brick pot ?Great pic of the monarch!
Sharon, lovely Jacobinia ! The article is today on the home page.
Rann, sorry you are suffering so much from what you hear from the TV and newspapers...maybe is not like that, they usually exagerate! I'm sure things are not that bad.
Sidney, I laughed so hard at that joke!LOL
Air pressure has dropped and a cold front is coming towards us...it's going to rain during week-end...arrrghhhh!
Hugs,
Adina

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2008
9:58 AM

Post #5677656

Kelli Neat pics, esp of the monarch cat!
Sally Beautiful picture!
Se_eds Hope you get that rain. Thats back breaking work.
Pepper Getting dark earlier here too, but definitely not Fall still Summer.
Vicki I love the way you make your garden sound!
Rann After reading Rics post, I hope things get better soon. I havent heard much about your economy except for what you have talked about. Keep us posted.

64.2 F / 17.9 C
Fog
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 64 F / 18 C
Wind Gust: 1.0 mph / 1.6 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 0.2 miles / 0.4 kilometers
Elevation: 20 ft / 6 m

Dense fog advisory in effect until 9 am this mornin

Today
Mostly sunny. Areas of dense fog in the morning with visibility one quarter mile or less at times. High 85. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Kiska - Don't look! We have a new tenant in the shell!

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2008
12:53 PM

Post #5677987

Good morning everyone!

It's raining this morning, 44F and slightly breezy.

Sidney - thanks for the giggle :-) That was a great one!

Ric - As far is this loan and possible agreement over the Icesave accounts from the British ... it will be a relief to get that issue solved but it won't solve our problems. I'm afraid the damage they've done is far too great ... and for the record we never refused to honour our obligations in that matter as stated in the linked report and all other reports written by the foreign press. It was a FALSE statement made by the Brits ... what we would call a flat out lie. And that lie has damaged us beyond repair ... now the rest of the world views us as people that can't be trusted. Not just the bank in question but everyone in this country has been branded a dishonest person. It's unforgivable.

I'm sorry I've been dumping all this bad news on you , now I'll give you a break ;-) lol

Kiska - I'm sure saying goodbye must have been hard, but at least you get to look forward to many happy reunions :-) Now you have a very good reason to visit Washington on a regular basis ;-)

Adina - thanks, but I actually think it's much worse than they're telling us. They're trying to keep people calm so there won't be a widespread panic... that would be really bad.

I need to go shopping ... I do a lot of that these days. I'm gracefully building up a reserve of things we think we'd rather not be without ... Icelanders are immensly proud people and that don't show their feelings in public so everyone is holding up a brave face although the truth is we're all really, really scared ... a shopping cart loaded with flour and other essentials would imply fear ... ;-)

I wish you all a GREAT day!

Rann

This message was edited Oct 16, 2008 12:58 PM
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2008
1:42 PM

Post #5678170

Good morning! The big bunny and I are meeting a friend and going on a field trip to a community for mentally handicapped adults today. (http://www.brookwoodcommunity.org/) I've heard really neat things about this place... They run a nursery with a great reputation for beautifully healthy plants, as well as a cafe and gift shop with all kinds of knick-knacks. It should be fun! :-) I need to hurry her up and get out of here... we have to drop our car off at the shop to get its brakes repaired. Hopefully it will be done when we get back in town.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:38am CDT (11 min ago)
Temperature 68 F 20 C
Dew Point 66 F 19 C
Humidity 94%
Pressure 30.12 in 1020 mb
Wind Speed 10 MPH 9 kts
Wind Dir NNW 340
Ceiling 300 ft 91 m
Visibility 7 mi 11.3 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 68.0F / 20.0C

Seven Day Forecast Issued 3:00am CDT -- Thu, Oct 16, 2008
Today Cloudy. Showers and thunderstorms in the morning, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the upper 70s. North winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 80 percent in the morning decreasing to 40 percent in the afternoon.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2008
1:57 PM

Post #5678228

No time to comment on everything--gotta leave in about 30 minutes to take MIL for doctor's appt. I'll BBL in the day.

It's been raining off and on since last night. Much cooler, too, High today around 70 with 50% chance of showers. Our high yesterday was a scorching 88--unseasonably warm!

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2008
3:48 PM

Post #5678637

57F this morning and getting brighter here after a night and morning of steady rains. I was surprised to find 2 1/2 inches of rain in the gauge this morning. The leaves are really turning quickly and starting to fall from the trees. Looks like great weather for the next 5 days or so.

Rann...Hang tough. This worldwide mess is going to take a long time to sort out. There are a lot of greedy, crooked people out there. I recently learned that after failing to privatize Social Security back in '04 our current administration quietly went after private pensions in '06. Looks like my pension will be around half what I anticipated at retirement.

Cando...Welcome!

Sharon...I'm happy to hear Gary is doing so well.

adinamiti...Nice Colors! I enjoyed your article.

Dyson...Happy belated birthday!

Here are a couple pics from my bike ride yesterday afternoon.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Oct 16, 2008 11:51 AM

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2008
3:49 PM

Post #5678644

I stopped and took a photo of this big patch of sumac growing in a field of blackberry bushes.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2008
3:50 PM

Post #5678651

Here is some color at a local stream last Tues.

early_bloomer

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2008
4:03 PM

Post #5678706

Adina, your article was wonderful! I enjoyed all the pics.

Ric, good job on the room. Can't wait to see the end product.

Sharon, a cute little lizard.

Mau, have a good day.

Great pics of the butterflies and flowers. Have a wonderful day, everyone.

46F with a high of 65 later today.
Feels like: 44F

Barometer: 30.3 in ↑
Dewpoint: 32
Humidity: 57%
Wind: 5 mph SSW
Sunrise: 7:40 AM
Sunset: 6:44 PM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #5678825

Great looking Doorstop kwan!

Muggy and hot here this morning at 6 AM...
Then it went from 75 to 63 by 6:30 as the rain came in...
Sunny and cool now...
Possible frost by Sunday morning... Yikes!

Rann hang in there!
Sounds like the old recipe books will be getting a workout ;-)
Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 16, 2008
5:57 PM

Post #5679181

21 Freezing fog 9:am
Mostly cloudy with areas of fog. Visibility reduced to one quarter mile or less at times in the morning.
Highs in the 30s. Light winds.
Cow w/twin calves; moose, have been here most of the night and now, into this morning.
rann~my family called last evening to say they had a good flight and the kids were "running wild" in the empty home till the furniture arrives. It will be there today. Seattle/area is beautiful and will be a good place to visit.
E_B~oh so beautiful.
MySharona~bet it was cute:)) I'm really trying to come to terms with that idea...
marsue~do have a good day~
ric~muggy and hot at 6am; can't quite envision that, either. Glad you've got the rain and sorry to hear from that it goes to frost. What a swing in temperatures.
kwanjin~very cute~
Two nights ago we had a family get-together goodbye gathering.
My grandson and his fiance were married at that time, as well. They wanted to be married before his mom/family left for Seattle. So~we also had a wedding here at the house.
They leave for a 2 week honeymoon in Ireland at the end of the month.
Lots of changes to deal with lately:))
The newlyweds~
oops~that's a bit blurry~
Kiska

This message was edited Oct 16, 2008 9:59 AM

Thumbnail by kiska

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2008
6:57 PM

Post #5679410

Handsome even blurry Kiska.
So good to see Petra, Vickie, and Sally drop by.
Your Mtn top sounds magnificent as are EB's pictures.
Almost makes me want to go back on the road...not.
Kelli love the wild hikes.
Marylyn I will be back in touch with you. Don't you love having fun while the car is worked on.
85.1 F / 29.5 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 57 F / 14 C
Wind Gust: 7.6 mph / 12 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 84 F / 29 C
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2008
8:28 PM

Post #5679859

Sunny and 80 at the moment. A lovely day to be in the garden; a not-so-lovely day to be stuck in this office! :(

Rann: Hope this gets resolved quickly! I was reading a little of the news online and it looks like there are some trying to help get it sorted. Hang on!

E_B: Gorgeous fall colors!

Gotta get back to work-
Deb

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2008
10:40 PM

Post #5680357

Have been busy the last couple of days, so I haven't had time to check in and post. I have enjoyed looking at all the pictures, though!

We finally got some much needed rain and cooler weather. Yippee!! My red oxblood lilies are getting ready to bloom again and today I saw my pinks starting to come up. I'm so excited about that!!

The nights are getting longer and the days are getting shorter. I just love this time of year! We had a high today of *only* 69. Mostly clouds for much of the day, but it was a great day to be outside working in the yard getting ready for the plant swap this weekend!

My Savannah Holly tree is getting ready to feed the birds this winter.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #5680801

Chilly. Temps never left the 50s.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 17, 2008
12:48 AM

Post #5680945

That's really pretty, Stephanie.

It was in the 90s again today.

Today we went to Orcutt Ranch. It is part of a country estate, I guess you'd call it, of a guy named William Orcutt. He made his money in oil. The house was built in the 1920s. I won't bore you with the details, but if you'd like to read the history, you can find it here. http://www.lacity.org/RAP/dos/horticulture/orcuttranch.htm

This is the front of the house, but it is a rambling house. What you see here is probably less than 1/4 of the whole house.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 17, 2008
12:50 AM

Post #5680957

There are many doors but I assume that this is the main front door. Colorful tile and the Spanish style were very popular in CA in the 1920s.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 17, 2008
12:51 AM

Post #5680959

courtyard with fountain

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 17, 2008
12:52 AM

Post #5680961

One of the tile pictures on the walls in the courtyard

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 17, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #5680970

the other end of the courtyard

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2008
12:55 AM

Post #5680979

We have to make a rapid trip up about 60 miles north Saturday.
We are taking in the Tropicals our friend Marcy has had for years.
W/ a resent double knee replacement and a growing pack of Grands' her house and stamina just aren't up to the over-wintering anymore.
So we are adopting the whole pile... which isn't going to make the 35 degree temps we're supposed to see Sunday morning any fun.
The good news here is that all the trees around are still leaved up.
I'd seriously doubt we see any frost in the yard.
Then the weather is supposed to swing back a bit warmer...

After the rainy morning the clear crisp north wind started winding thru.
It's now 59 and supposed to be 45 by morning.
So I'd say it will be a foggy drive in...

Stephanie what a pretty Holly!
Kiska what a life changing set of events.
Glad but Sad eh?

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #5680990

Wow Kelli we were so close to there and never knew it existed.
Looks like we missed a great tour!
THANKS!

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 17, 2008
1:20 AM

Post #5681091

Have you ever gone to Adamson House? The Orcutt Ranch house is something like that but on a much simpler scale. I haven't been there in ages but we might take MIL there when she comes out at Thanksgiving.

the courtyard again

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 17, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #5681098

These plants are so clean (no dust, no spider webs) compared to the plants on the porch at El Rancho Kelli.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 17, 2008
1:23 AM

Post #5681104

bench near the dry creek

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 17, 2008
1:24 AM

Post #5681112

This tree is 700 years old. You'll see where some of the lower branches have been cut off. They were cut off circa the year 1800 to make charcoal to fire the lime kilns to make lime for the building of Mission San Fernando.

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2008
2:36 AM

Post #5681405

What a lovely trip, Kelli. Thank you for sharing; it looks marvelous.

Another perfect day here in Utah. Too bad I only got to see an hour or so of it.

I took this with my cell last night. Isis looked very sad resting on my arm.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 17, 2008
2:38 AM

Post #5681413

Neat picture, it looks like a painting.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2008
2:43 AM

Post #5681435

It does. It's a 3Mpxl camera and I like how the pics come out.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 17, 2008
7:59 AM

Post #5682059

Kiska,Your view point of Alaska is great. I've book marked the webcams at Fairbanks and Nome and visit several times a week.Both of them have had snow already too. Nome's camera seems to be down today.

Kelli, Thanks for the tour of Orcutt ranch. When i lived there we went to an older ranch but not the sameone.
Earlybloom, Do you do landscapes for a living? You should. You have a gift.

Kwanjin, Your furbaby just looks content and fighting to keep his eyes open. LOL

High today-65 F
Low-35 F
Wind-N @5MPH
Clear and cool
Sunrise-7:22 Sunset-6:35
Moonrise-7:39PM Moonset-10:48
AM
Moon is at peragee 225,934 mi.

Orionid Meteor shower peaks the 21. Moon will be up but still may see several falling stars.

The sun is coming into a new cycle of blackspots and will increase.
Have a great day!
Vickie
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2008
9:30 AM

Post #5682104

Good morning!

It's raining, breezy and 42F. We got some very heavy rainshowers yesteday afternoon.

Ric - yeah - we'll have to get back to our roots and start eating the traditional stuff now ... a lot of things that we've taken for granted are going to be luxury items very soon. For instance Kellog's Bran Flakes which has been our breakfast cereal of choice for a looooong time has doubled in price and is getting scarce. They didn't have it at the store I went to yesterday to stock up on flour and sugar (spelt and agave syrup are luxuries now :-( ) ... Oatmeal is becoming the standard breakfast here ...stocked up on that too. Fortunately the girls like it, but I've never been able to eat it ... :-(

Kelli - great pics :-) Very interesting place.

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 17, 2008
9:31 AM

Post #5682105

Kelli, I'm so in love with the Orrcut Ranch ! The yard is gorgeous with that fountain.
E_B, thanks, your forrest looks so beautiful!Great pics!
Kiska, what a beautiful pair! I know it's hard when children are going away...but, in return, you'll have more time to popp in here !LOL
Celia, thanks, I'm glad you liked my article! Your kitties are so beautiful! That one at the door is hilarious!LOL
Ric, I am so envious, you'll have a new pile of tropicals, good for you!
It's warm again, 75 and sunny!
Hugs,
Adina

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2008
9:50 AM

Post #5682122

Rann Hopefully this will be resolved very soon. Be still, things will happen.
Marylyn Did yall have fun at brookwood? Beautiful community.
E_B Background pics! LOL! It must be a thrill to ride your bike in such beauty.
Celia- Monty is great as a door stop. Does he get treats for working so hard?
Kiska Such a handsome couple and so lucky to go to Ireland! Must be quiet around the house. Thanksgiving is around the corner. Will they return for the holiday?
Stephanie Pretty Holly!
Pepper Now thats what I call Fall!
Kelli Thats a pretty house, love the front door!
Celia Awwww Isis misses Kristi
Vicki Thanks for the info on the shower. Ill be looking for it.
Rann Do you dress your oatmeal? I cant eat it plain, but a dab of butter, sprinkle of sugar and a touch of milk helps for me.

66.6 F / 19.2 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 60 F / 15 C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 5.0 miles / 8.0 kilometers
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. High 85. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

A little blurry Callie playing hide and seek.

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2008
10:20 AM

Post #5682164

Sharon - I cook it in one part milk/one part water for the girls ... makes it more appealing than using just water. Haven't tried butter. They like it with milk and raisins, sometimes with a drizzling of cinnamon sugar. I haven't tried it since I was a kid. I have these horrid memories of my mom trying to make me eat it ... it was slimy and just made me gag. My stomach still turns just thinking about it ... I just hope things will improve before I run out of cereal ;-) lol No sign of improvement yet though, we're still in the "freezer".

Rann

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2008
2:05 PM

Post #5682865

Another chilly morning here! We're up to 60 and the sun is shining!! Haven't seen Mr. Sunshine in a couple of days, so he's a welcome visitor. Will open the windows in a little bit and air the house out. The kitties love it when the windows are open as they love to sit and sniff the outdoor air. Have a few more plants to pot up for the swap tomorrow, then I'm finished!

Here's my precious Callie (please ignore the cluttered desk). We're celebrating 10 years together!

Thumbnail by stephanietx

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 17, 2008
2:31 PM

Post #5683032

17 dark/freezing fog again.
Highs in the upper 20s to mid 30s.
Light winds.
Thanks for the boost everyone; it's quiet, for sure;0 They will not be back for Thanksgiving or holidays. This year, we'll be in Hawaii and are flying back on Thanksgiving day; so will not do Thanksgiving this year.
Looking for snacks; they founds lots of leaves/branches and spent hours here yesterday.

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2008
3:27 PM

Post #5683281

Rann - My mom made oatmeal like a "pasty glob" I had a hard time eating it! I sprinkle cinnnamon on mine at times, depends on my mood.
Stephanie - Your Callie lookslike my Callie's mama "Sweetie". She had the dark mottled coloring, she was pretty. Callie has her big green eyes.
Kiska - Oooh Hawaii - nice treat during the Fall! The moose are back!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #5683394

Callie and Callie! How cute! (What cluttered desk, Stephanie? ☺)

I miss watching the deer we had in our yards when we lived higher on the mountains. Wonderful for you, Kiska. Sorry the family won't be back for the Holidays. That makes it harder.

My oatmeal is eaten almost every night for my last meal before bed. Cooked in milk and unardorned.

Monty IS given extra pay for his "hard" work! LOL How do you think he got like that?

Have a great day, everyone.

49F with a high of 71. Going to be beatuiful.
Feels like: 47F

Barometer: 30.4 in ↑
Dewpoint: 33
Humidity: 54%
Wind: 5 mph SE
Sunrise: 7:41 AM
Sunset: 6:42 PM

From the Tillamook Air Museum, June 2007.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2008
4:47 PM

Post #5683581

Rann how about making oatmeal cake, biscuits or cookies for breakfast.

Neat Meese shots!

Stephanie we had one just like her too!

59 here and cloudy...

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2008
4:47 PM

Post #5683582

Rann how about making oatmeal cake, biscuits or cookies for breakfast.

Neat Meese shots!

Stephanie we had one just like her too!

59 here and cloudy...

Ric

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2008
5:38 PM

Post #5683770

Rann, my prayers are on their way. (((((HUGS)))))

Not a project Adina, it the east half of the garden. I had mainly tomatoes, and onions there. I grow peas and cucumbers on the fences. The two 10' square asparagus beds took a lot of room and I have a compost pile behind them. The pitcher pump ate up more of my room to plant :o) The west half still has tomatoes growing, plus the flowers that didn't have anywhere else to go.

Thanks Sharon, I just took it the other day. It's nice to still see butterflies. I see you still have wildlife too ;o)

Rann, they all need to join Dave's Garden so they can see how wonderful you are :o)

Marylyn, sounds like a wonderful day with the big bunny.

Early, that is sad and unfair. I'm so sorry. I'm so tired of greed. Gorgeous pictures!!

Kwanjin, ROTFL!!!

Kiska, I love ''moose season'' :o) I'm glad your family arrived safely. What a beautiful couple!

Thanks Sugar, I try to keep up and then the day just goes by and next thing I know, I'm in bed :o)

Hi Stephanietx, I'm missing all the newcomers! Beautiful holly berries!

Kelli, neat ranch!

Ric, tropicals in Zone 6. What a nice way to extend summer :o)

El Rancho Kelli, ROTFL!! Love the tree!

Kwanjin, neat! Isis is beautiful!

Rann, I eat oatmeal every day for breakfast. We like the long cooking. It's not so soft as the quick. The ''slimy'' is soluble fiber and it removes cholesterol :o)

Stephanie, Callie is beautiful!!

Kiska, love the moose picture!

Adina, I need to read your article as I was MIA yesterday.

52* and it's supposed to be raining. Yesterday we pressed 21 gallons of apple juice. I canned 10 gallon last night. It kept the kitchen warm all night and the jars were popping away. 2 didn't take, so I need to check the tops before I use them again.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2008
5:53 PM

Post #5683831

Brookwood was beautiful! The campus is gorgeous, the gift shop was huge and packed full of stuff. The residents of the community don't make everything there, but they do make/mold/fire/handpaint/glaze/etc... some beautiful dishware sets, cement paving stones and garden ornaments/statues, Christmas ornaments, homemade jams and jellies, and salad dressings, etc etc... And the plants they have for sale are beautifully healthy and very reasonably priced! I bought a flat of snapdragons and a mixed flat of violas and pansies (each flat was $16 and contained 18 3" pots), and 2 rex begonias ($5 ea in 6" pots.) I really wanted some "Polynesian Snowbushes" I saw, but I didn't know what they are and if they will like me, so I decided to wait until I could look them up. But it was painful to wait... they were only 3/$10! In gallon pots! And they were SOOO pretty! Hmm... http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2004/ It says light shade.. I guess I could put them in the back yard... Hmmm... I wonder if they would do well under the plum tree in the front yard. Hmmm...

Since I'm still hmmmming about them, I'll probably wait until next time I go and hope for another sale. :-)

They have a cafe there, too, with VERY yummy food. All in all, this place has definitely moved way up my list to take visitors to the Houston area. I'd heard about it before, but hadn't been there before yesterday.

Kiska, Thanksgiving in Hawaii sounds like something to be VERY thankful for, even if you aren't eating way too much turkey and pumpkin pie! ^_^

I have the same issues with oatmeal, Rann. The bunnies like it, but... Bleah. Turning it into some kind of breakfast bar sounds like a great idea! In the meantime, it sounds like we need to start smuggling Bran Flakes and spelt flour to Iceland. ;-)

The Callies are both very pretty. I love calicoes.. When I was little, we used to have one named Beep. She was a great cat. :-)

Adina, I love your article!! The photos were gorgeous and you write very well. ^_^

Today I'm packing and cleaning and doing laundry and packing some more to get ready for our trip to Jekyll Island, Georgia. We leave tomorrow morning - Yayyy! We have friends who are going to be kitty sitting for us, so I have to leave the house a little cleaner than I would otherwise be worrying about... So it's a good thing I already did the big cleaning last week! :-D I just need to clean up the current layer of toys, put away the piles of laundry waiting to be sorted and possibly packed, clean the bathrooms and the kitchen, and the kitty boxes... And the car. And weed through the heap of stuffed "friends" that the bunnies want to take with them. And... I should probably start by getting off of the computer. LOL

It's only 70 outside!!! Maybe fall really IS coming!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 12:23pm CDT (28 min ago)
Temperature 70 F 21 C
Dew Point 64 F 18 C
Humidity 83%
Pressure 30.18 in 1022 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir NNW 340
Ceiling 800 ft 244 m
Visibility 7 mi 11.3 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 63.0F / 17.2C
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #5683973

LOL - Sharon ...pasty glob is the right description ... (the way mom made it - not what I make for the girls of course ;-) lol)

Stephanie and Sharon - your Callies are both cute :-)

Kiska - nice to see the moose back again! A whole family? Hawaii sounds like paradise at this time of year. Hope you have a great trip :-)

Marylyn Sounds like you had a great time seems like a wonderful place to visit! Hope you have a great vacation :-) LOL - I think I'll survive eating oatmeal if it comes to that, I'm just not looking forward to it ;-) LOL On the other hand I have reserves of other cereals before it come to that ;-)

EB sorry I forgot you earlier. I meant to say that Im so sorry to hear about your pension. Thats really awful. Great photos :-)

I heard this song on the radio today ... thought I'd share the lyrics with you in a very crude translation ... Im no poet so I didn't bother with the rhyme ;-)

No one knows until theyre tested
who your friends really are
promises made, are quickly forgotten
when times get rough.

The saying goes, when the bottle is empty
the friends soon leave
so I say, if you have a true friend
youre truly blessed.

People make mistakes
and they need a helping hand
when life suddenly seems worthless.
It helps to talk to someone who understands you,
a true friend can be the miracle you need.

I made mistakes and received heavy judgement.
I wandered off the straight path.
so I say, if you have a true friend
youre truly blessed.

People make mistakes
and they need a helping hand
when life suddenly seems worthless.
It helps to talk to someone who understands you,
a true friend can be the miracle you need.

Of course it sounds much better in Icelandic, but it really hits home right now .. I am so grateful to be blessed with all of you great friends here on DG :-)

Rann

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 17, 2008
10:12 PM

Post #5684634

That's a nice song, Rann. Sometime songs sound corny when the lyrics are written out and you don't know the music, but that is a nice one.

Endless summer...

Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on October 17, 2008
93 F / 34 C
Clear
Humidity: 9%
Dew Point: 25 F / -4 C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the ESE
Pressure: 30.02 in / 1016 hPa (Falling)
UV: 7 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #5684834

rahn, we love oatmeal here in Pa. My kids grew on oatmeal for breakfast as it was all I could afford. When they got older any were able to collect walnuts and butternuts, we cracked them and made oatmeal cookies. During the Great Depression here in America people who had oatmeal to feed their kids were lucky. And the kids were lucky too, they grew up healthy. Try to get by each day and remember - sufficient to the day is the evil thereof. Don't think about tomorrow's evil.

We are having typical fall weather - temps in the 60's, leaves turning colors and falling, perfect weather for hard labor outside. And a perfect day to make a big pumpkin pie for my dear husband.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #5685041

Temps finally hit the low 60s this afternoon but the rain had to come thru again this morning before the temps would get out of the 40s. Finally the sun came out this afternoon and brightened things up.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5685342

Rann that's a lovely sentiment!
So needed now!

Kiska HI at Thanksgiving sounds GREAT!

I don't think we broke 60 here today.
Plus w/ the cloud cover we didn't get much solar gain here in the house.
But the furnace is still turned off.

One of the nice things about a small house (600 square feet downstairs) is that it doesn't take a lot to make it comfortable.
W/ our bedroom in the small upstairs area we never turn the heat on up there.

Thru the years we have been doing things to lower heating costs.
GH's that vent into the house are one part of the solution.
The sun usually heats the Porch GH up to about 85 or so when the temps are in the 60's and the trees are still leaved up.
Come winter (and no leaves for shade) we routinely hit the mid 70's on a sunny below freezing day.
By opening the window to the house we gain that free heat also.
During the day the Hoop-house outside our bedroom window would superheat the upstairs.
This causes a thermal blanket over the downstairs reducing the furnace load.
Then at night that air would rush back into the Hoop-house keeping the tropicals from freezing.
Only on the coldest nights would the heater out there kick on.
Cook dinner and you gain a few hours of furnace down time.
Plus Robyn put the old back door on in the kitchen so the unfinished room isn't drafting us to death.
(Every little it helps)

Hopefully by next Sunday afternoon we'll be airtight out there in the FPR.
Then we have to figure out a heating plan.

Now we're looking into solar electricity... because of our tree cover we can never hit 0 but we can reduce our load somewhat.
Solar LED lights are already part of the plan (and working well)

E_B pensions are taking a beating everywhere.
But 1/2 WOW!

When we got laid off 2 years ago we cut back drastically on expenses.
So drastically that we now get along quite well on one paycheck.
We will have the house paid off in 2 years...
if an affordable health care plan can be worked out I want to retire in 6 years Max...
(both our Social Securities kick in then)
if not then I guess it's semi retired...

Well off to the Hot Tub!
It's 48 (8 Celsius) outside now...PERFECT Tubbing Weather!

Ric
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 18, 2008
7:14 AM

Post #5686164

Rann,Keeping you and Icelanders in my prayers. Need some oatmal receipes? i like the thought of sending a truck(boat?) load of branflakes. The song was a truism. Wish i could hear it in Icelandic.
Adina,i'd like to read your article.
Marlyn is Houston downtown getting back to halfway normal?I've a relative there.
Early,My SIL lost about half his retirement too and was forced to retire at 50 or lose more retirement everyday he stayed. Greed is everywhere.

I meant sunspots not blackspots LOL

Sharon, Callie looks like she is doing some serious watching.

Stephnie, Have fun at the swap.

Ric, i notice you stay a very busy person. I've cut back on the heat also. Keep it cooler wear warm clothes and cook a lot to keep things warm and freeze them for warmer times. I have the shade in summer and sun in the winter. Oaks are wonderful trees. Ric, you've got about 6 years to work to do something about our healthcare system. It is sick.(Only half a joke)LOL Greed and imcompatance
has hit it bigtime too.

Kiska,Hawaii, Think of the amazing tropical plants you can see. sigh...

Seeds I grew up on oatmeal cookies with raisons and our own pecans.

The next couple of days, I'll be learning to link and post better. I'm a slow learner.LOL

Low-42 F
High-62 F
Wind-W @3mph
Clear
Sunrise-7:22AM
Sunset-6:35 PM

Moonrise-7:39PM
Moonset-10:48AM

Goodnite all,
Vickie
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2008
9:47 AM

Post #5686252

Good morning!

It's a beautiful day today, seems fairly calm looking out the window, mostly clear skies and the sun is up :-) It's a very cool 38F.

Thanks for your comments everyone :-)

Ric - sounds like you've done a great job in conserving heat in your house ... pretty impressive :-)

Vickie - thanks. I love oatmeal raisin cookies, but I wouldn't eat them for breakfast ;-) LOL There are still Bran Flakes available in some stores, they're just so expensive I'm not willing to pay the price ... yet anyways. I'm flexible, I can eat Cheerios, Cornflakes etc. ;-) We have at least 2-3 weeks worth of other cereals besides the Branflakes which won't run out until next week. I was thinking yesterday that maybe I'd better buy more oatmeal. I'm really in the dark as to how much stock I might need ... we don't have any idea how long it'll take to get money flowing in and out of the country again. Now it's completely stopped. Those importing oil, medicines and food are the only ones getting foreign currency these days and they're hand picked. They have to apply for it and say why they need it ... this suggests that there isn't that much currency left ... A small slice of good news is that the oil companies have secured currency for their next shipment of oil and gas so gasprices have actually gone down :-)

seeds - thanks for your words of wisdom :-) I cherish them ... :-)

I have a busy day ahead so I have to get going. One of my cousins is getting married today :-)

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Rann

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2008
11:34 AM

Post #5686333

Vicky - here are 3 clips of the song - I couldn't find the whole song on line, but at least it gives you some idea. The name of it is Traustur vinur (True friend) and it's an old icelandic classic from the 1970's I think ... it got a facelift in 2004 by the band mti sl who's singer is Magni from the Rock Star Supernova shows about two years ago if anyone watched that ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4izohM4GpV4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bnE7QqkwtU&NR=1

There are 4 different versions here ... the clips are all the same part of the song, the verse, the one at the bottom is the newest version with mti sl ... the original version is by the band Upplyfting ...

http://www.tonlist.is/Music/ViewSearch.aspx?search=Traustur%20vinur

OK that's enough useless music trivia for now ;-) LOL

Have a good day everyone!

Rann
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2008
7:22 PM

Post #5687485

Whew! Is it ever hard to catch up after being away for a day or so.
EB: Love the autumn leaves reflected in the pond. Beautiful scenery!
Kelli: great "tour" of the house!
Adina, sorry I haven't read your article yet--I'll try to do that later today.
Kiska. Good photo of the newlyweds even if your DGS was a bit blurry! :o)) Hawaii for Thanksgiving (or a little before) how nice!
Sharon and Stephanie how are we ever going to keep the two Callies straight? LOL
Celia: Monty, as always, is very relaxed--not a care in the world.
Ric, if I had known earlier that you were going to see Marcy I would have told you to say "hello" for me. Nice of you to take in her plants.
[quote]Try to get by each day and remember - sufficient to the day is the evil thereof. Don't think about tomorrow's evil.[/quote]
Se_eds: I totally agree.
Cando: welcome to the weather thread! DH(dear husband) and I took a trip up Hwy. 21 in March, '07 and saw some gorgeous scenery that neither of us had seen before. You must surely have a wonderful view if you are on one of those mountaintops.
Marylyn: glad you and the big bunny enjoyed your field trip. You and the family have a good time on your vacation!
Rann: I love oatmeal but not if it is too slushy. I like mine cooked thick with brown sugar on it and no milk. We all seem to like it a different way--LOL I certainly hope the financial crisis there eases up soon. Nice sentiments in the poem you translated from the song. We are thinking of you!

Hope I didn't miss anyone--certainly not intentional if I did. I was sorta going from memory of what I read in the posts above.

A beautiful autumn day here--cooler the last two days. I was able to get the plants in the ground that I brought home from the RU last week-end. A nice day for being outside.
The Blue Angels are at Jacksonville AFB this week-end performing for the public. I would like to have gone but I don't like fighting the traffic and the crowds. We live close enough to Jacksonville that I thought we might catch a glimpse of them in the sky but nothing so far--maybe tomorrow.

Currently 65 and sunny. Low tonight forecast to be 43. I need to bring my poinsettia and succulents inside soon.

A photo of the neighbor's tree--not a hint of color on it as you can plainly see.

Everyone have a good rest of the day!

Thumbnail by marsue

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 18, 2008
9:59 PM

Post #5687818

Kiska, you're going to Hawaii, great ! Do you have treats for the moose?
Sally, that's a lot of apples juice !
Rann, love the song, it's touching! Congratulations for your cousin's wedding!
Ric, great tips for keeping the heat inside...it's so cold here too,41F( 5C), but I had to run on the heat...ugh!
Marylyn,thanks, sounds you had a great time and the flowers must be awesome!
Se_eds, pumpkin pie, I have to make one too!
Marsue, that tree is gorgeous !
Stephanie, Happy Anniersary for you and Callie!
Cando, here is the link to my last article :

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1721/

Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2008
11:35 PM

Post #5688227

Marylyn, glad you and the bunny had a wonderful day. What I wouldn't give for a 70* and a plant sale :o)

Rann, the words to the song are beautiful.

Yep Kelli, too hot!

Seeds, pumpkin is my favorite pie!!

Ric, you've done a lot to help save energy!! I'm impressed! Nice thing about getting old is, one minute you're freezing and the next you're rolling up sleeves and pant legs :o) or is it :o(

Rann, oatmeal also tastes better with cream or at least whole milk, but I eat mine with skim. I wouldn't know quite what to spend money on either, mostly food, or making sure the house bills can be paid. It's a hard place to be in right now.

Marsue, watching the Blue Angels is wonderful. They are amazing!

Adina, it is, but it will be gone by next spring. Beautiful leaf color. We are mostly green with only a bit of color. I guess that's what happens with a lot of fall rain and mild temps. We'll be freezing in a couple of weeks.

52* and it's dimming outside. Luckily there is still a full moon showing. It warmed up enough to pick up walnuts...again.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 18, 2008
11:58 PM

Post #5688330

Not as hot today.

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on October 18, 2008
84 F / 29 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 13%
Dew Point: 28 F / -2 C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the SE
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1015 hPa (Falling)
Clouds: Few 18000 ft / 5486 m
(Above Ground Level)

windshield picture

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 18, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #5688335

The image stabilizer on my camera must be really good. (Zoom image at 70 mph)

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2008
12:39 AM

Post #5688479

Marsue I'll send Marcy your best!

Kelli you'd like it here, there's a Blimp Mooring Mast at our local airport.
Lunken Airport is where all the Blimps coming here or thru here fuel up.
In the Summer it's not unusual to see several a week.

We watched the new Indiana Jones movie tonight... looked GREAT on the new TV...LOL!

Frost Warnings tonight and probably tomorrow night.
They did have a bit of frost up at Marcy's and last week a few scattered pockets down in KY.
It was amazing how Fall-like it was up north.
Most of the leaves are gone, corn harvested and the beans are about ready.
They were having a Black Walnut Festival in Camden but we didn't have time to stop.

52 here going for 36 by morning.
Nice Tree shots!
Here they are Brown...lol!

Ric

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2008
2:09 AM

Post #5688862

Helluuu!!! :D I have been trying to get my flowers in all day (off & on...due to JW 'running' (as opposed to 'sitting')). We are in a "freeze" warning for tonight & tomorrow night. This includes 19 counties in VA & WV. And our trees were just starting to turn really nicely...by tomorrow or the next day they will be "toast"!

TEMPERATURES WILL DROP INTO THE UPPER 20S TO AROUND 30 IN SHELTERED VALLEYS FOR SEVERAL HOURS EARLY SUNDAY MORNING.

At Dublin...
Cloudy: 50F
Feels like: 50F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 39
Humidity: 66%
Wind: 5 mph NNW
Sunrise: 7:34 AM
Sunset: 6:41 PM

Gee, You all really make it difficult to keep up!
Welcome, Vickie!
Great Pics everybody! :D
Sidney, The Alligator! It's like watching National Geographic! :D What kind of sign were you holding up? A picket sign, maybe? :)
Kiska, I know you will really miss them, but they will enjoy their new home & so will you. ;) LOL! Yes, those "meese" are (were) making themselves right at home! :D I like the blurry pic of the newly weds. Cute! :D
E_B! I think you have out-done yourself! Gorgeous! Pics!
Kelli, Love the old Ranchero! Gee! And the pic of the Good Year blimp! at 70 mph! Impressive! LOL! about the El Rancho Kelli! :D I try to keep my house clean, but when JW is here there is no way I can keep up w/ both! ;)
Sharon, LOL! Callie is pretending that you can't see her! :D
Stephanie, LOL! You have a Callie, too? Now I'll never keep all the kitties straight! :D I can't keep Sharon's straight at all... :)
Marylyn, Sounds like you made a 'hall'! or a really good buy, any way.:D
Rann, That is a nice song...I Do hope that things get better for you soon...Do you all get beef up there? or do you mostly eat fish? I think about you all the time, now... would not want to be in your shoes.
Se_eds, I like you saying... :) Are you all in for a freeze tonight too?
Adina, I liked your article! And the color of the tree! Wow! :D
Celia! I Love the Maple Leaf! Gorgeous!

The answer to the trivia is...A
Tropical cyclones are warm-core lows.

Have a good evening!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 19, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #5688876

Joey, to tell you the truth, I don't even try to keep my house clean. I think I must be rebelling from the chores I had to do as a kid. (That was me at 70mph, not the blimp. It was just gently cruising.)
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2008
2:58 AM

Post #5689077

37F, clear skies and more frost expected by morning. Sun, sun, sun expected tomorrow with a high in the upper 50's. I worked outside most of the day and went for a ride late this evening to look for a few photos. I'm planning on a long bike ride along the Allegheny River tomorrow.

Joey...The leaves are at peak here. I have very little to bring inside. Still plenty of apples to pick though.

Ric...My wife and I saw the Indiana Jones movie in the theater. We were the only ones there!

Rann...I eat oatmeal just about every day. It's hard to beat from a health standpoint. We have an Amish "used "grocery store near here. I buy it in the individual packets really cheap.

se_eds...Another great day for outside chores. My wife has been busy baking apple pies and dumplings. I've been eating way too much!

marsue...You're doing better then me. I still have plants I bought at garden club sales last spring and early summer I need to plant.

Here are a few autumn photos from my evening drive.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2008
2:59 AM

Post #5689080

A small herd of deer.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2008
2:59 AM

Post #5689084

Horses and fall color.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2008
3:00 AM

Post #5689091

And finally, one last autumn scene.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2008
3:02 AM

Post #5689102

Oops! Posted the horses twice! Meant to post this one.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Oct 18, 2008 11:02 PM

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2008
3:15 AM

Post #5689185

43 here now and dropping fast.
It was 52 when we went into the Hot Tub an hour ago...
That's 52 outside the tub was 101 LOL!

E_B those pictures scream Pennsylvania Deutsch to me.
Well maybe not the last one but I love those 'Hot' accent colors on the cupola and doors!
I think the reason the Indy movie didn't do better is the long lag between movies.
In THX it rocked the house!

Marsue Marcy says Hi! back.
She's doing great and her PT is going very well!
She'll DMail you.

Well it looks like a bunch of woodworking to be done tomorrow!
And PERFECT weather to do it in!

Ric
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2008
7:37 AM

Post #5689777

Ric: I read in the paper that Harrison Ford said they are talking about doing one more Indiana Jones movie.
Joey: I spent the day bringing in the tender tropicals as we were forecast to get into the 40s. LOL. Nothing like your freeze warning! I saw the N.R. bridge on TV; CNN was showing the base jumpers.
Rann: If it goes on too much longer, and you run out of cereal, just say the word! ;->

Currently 49. Rained all day Sat.; hoping for sunshine today.
Deb
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2008
1:06 PM

Post #5690123

36 when I got up at 7AM.
37 now... the air is dead still!

This message was edited Oct 19, 2008 9:07 AM

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2008
1:33 PM

Post #5690188

This was the area we always get the first Frosts.
Plus the cool glass and metal act like a magnet its seems.

The back, front and side yards look OK.
A heavy dew fell but the dense vegatation and tons of rock held just enough heat in to stave off damage.
My indicator plants look OK so far.
Castor Beans and Persian Shield wilt immediately if they get frost bit.
Others take a few hours for the damage to show up... we'll see...

My old home town is 40 miles north.
Same temps but a 5 MPH NE wind... they are showing Wind Chill of 32!
Had we left the plants up at Marcy's they would have been toast... they are in open farm land and 20 miles farther north...

I don't think I posted an indoor window test fit shot.
Here's where we're starting today.
After the 45 angle lower framing is done that post will come out.
Shelves will be put in the windows for plants.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2008
2:15 PM

Post #5690310

Shew,
So much here and
58.3 F / 14.6 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 57%
Dew Point: 43 F / 6 C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6 km/hfrom the NNE
Wind Gust: 10.1 mph / 16 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Rising)
I'll start a new thread in just a moment.
Sidney
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2008
2:58 PM

Post #5690441

Come on over to the Brand New Thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/914636/
Sidney

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America