-
AuthorContent
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2008
4:21 AM

Post #5657609

I have gotten myself into another mess. I have fallen and broken my left wrist in 3 places and I am not going to be making baskets for quite awhile. So, someone out there may benifit from my misfortune. I would like to trade for either beads, floss, fabric, gourds. what have you. Let me know. The needles are all 14" or better.
Jan
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2008
4:28 AM

Post #5657634

I am SO sorry to hear that, Jan! I do nothave beads, floss, OR fabric . . . would you be interested in small 4-6" snowman shaped gourds? I also have a few cannonball size, and a snake gouird . . .
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #5658844

I would be interested in the cannon ball gourds if they are very hard and thick shelled. Here is a picture of the needles I have,

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2008
9:43 PM

Post #5659553

The cannonball ones I've got are not very thick . . . let me go measure the one I did cut open . . . maybe 1/8", if you round up a tad . . . Maybe someone else who has the thicker shelled types will pop in soon.

You know, Hobby Lobby only had beeswax in blocks this morning . . . I know Michaels used to have the "sheets", so I may have to go by there tomorrow . . . I still have it in my head to try a small beading project!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2008
1:35 AM

Post #5660382

Wait a minute, you can order beeswax sheets from this site. This is where I get mine.
glorybeefoods.com.
They are great people and they have a great reputation around here. Most of the health food stores get there honey from them as well as other items. Check them out, you wont be dissapointed.
Jan
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2008
2:22 AM

Post #5660563

Thanks, Jan! Sorry I don't have any thicker gourds for you!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2008
12:55 PM

Post #5677993

Jan!! What is up with you? Breaking your arm...and in 3 places yet! You always have to do spectacular things!

Yes...I would like some pine needles...I just got home last night..after being gone for a month...my brain isn't working too well yet...so I'll think about what to trade you later.

Get well QUICK!! Jo
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2008
5:37 PM

Post #5679096

You got em Jo.
I broke my left wrist in 3 places. At least it wasn't the one that I had surgery on last year. My big mistake was saying that I had been healthy all year and without any visits to the hospital. I fell two days or so later.
That will teach me to tempt fate. Mother nature has it out for me. First the pine cone and my left ankle the wet leaves and my left wrist. Let me know how much you would like.
Jan
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #5680711

Will do...as soon as I rest up form my month long trip...Jo
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

February 27, 2009
4:36 AM

Post #6196319

Oh boy, I am sorry about your arm! That is one thing us gourd crafters can't do without..

Also, I would be interested in some of your pine needles if you still have some.. I sew quite a bit and have lots of fabric. Anything in particular that you are looking for? I have some with boots on it, some with Mexican Hats and quilting fabrics. I don't know if that is what you mean.

Anyway, this post is old, but I hope your arm has healed and you are doing alright.
A.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2009
6:19 AM

Post #6196473

Hi gourd,
yes I have healed pretty much, as I sit here with elastic braces on both wrists. Hehe. I just over did it with activities yesterday but I am doing much better. I would love to send you some needles. I don't need any more fabric but I would love a gourd in trade if you have any extras laying around. I am getting ready to make a tutorial on gourd beading and all I have is a huge gourd which is fine for what I do but a little large to teach the basics on.
If you don't that is okay too. I will just send you some. How much do you want? Let me know. I have lots. I don't plan on doing much basket weaving for a while.
Jan
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

February 27, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6199608

Jan,
I think I have a couple of gourds you may like, however, they are in boxes stored in the attic. We managed to get an instructor to come to my house next Monday and give a class on caming in Stained Glass, so, I won't be able to get up there till mid week after March 9th. I also got some more devil claws that I can include in there also, I don't remember if they are in tact or not, someone gave them to me a couple of months ago, they found them when they went hiking.

Let me know if that is alright, I will measure them for you when they are down.

Antoinette

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2009
12:47 AM

Post #6199791

Antoinette,
I don't need or want anymore devils claws. I've got them coming out my ears. Heheh, thanks anyways. Don't worry about getting to the gourds just now. How much needles do you want? I will go ahead and send them to you.
What is caming in Stained glass. Just curious. I've always wanted to learn but have never taken the time to take a class. I have a friend that does alot of stained glass.
Anyway, just let me know how much you want or what you are going to use it for and I will get it out to you.
Jan
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

February 28, 2009
12:54 AM

Post #6199817

Jan,
Great, also, let me know if you want some mini-gourds, I saw a cute wreath made with some.. I got a bumper crop this year of those. I'll put some in for you.

Caming is when you use either zinc, lead to go around the glass instead of solder, you only solder the ends and then frame it with either lead came, or zinc came.

I foil (it is called tiffany style) and I don't know how to came. It sounds like bad grammer.. lol, anyway, it is used when you want to reinforce a window and make it stronger so it won't sag later in years and just so it is more sturdy.

If you take a beginner class, you will become addicted.. I just love it. Only thing is, I love every art and craft there is.

Alrighty then, I'll mail out during the week of 9th, probably on Friday when I go to town.

I want to put the needles around the gourds in the openings, I don't know how to explain it more, but they look like half gourd and half basket when you are done.

Maybe two bundles if that is okay with you.

Antoinette
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

February 28, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #6199826

P.S.
Here is photo of a stained glass window on this gourd.. I think you would love this. I plan to use this as a bird house. I finished it yesterday.

Thumbnail by Gourd

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2009
4:36 AM

Post #6200748

OMG I love it. you learn how to do it real good and then you can either show me or make one for me. heheh.
I will send those out next week.
Enjoy and have a great class. I think that would be so much fun.
Jan
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

February 28, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #6202995

Thank you, it was on my mind for a long time. I may try making a different one with two windows on the sides. I also want to wait till I learn the caming. I did reinforce this with brass wire in between the glass so the birdies don't get hurt, I don't think it would fall apart because the solder will hold the small pieces really good, but, I wanted to try to work with the wire and get some experience in apply it to the glass...

I have a million ideas running through my head with this combo.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #6203222

Lovely!!

My daughter took a bushel basket gourd , cut the top off, then cut a circle in the side and worked a Dream Catcher in the circle...she used leather and pine needles where she cut the tip off. It is nice. Jo
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 1, 2009
5:26 AM

Post #6205116

Hi Jo,
The one your daughter made sounds nice, take a photo if you can when you are there.

I just finished cutting my piece for the class, so now I can clean the house and get it ready... that's the boring part.

A.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2009
7:43 AM

Post #6205293

Will do. Jo
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #6206374

Jo,
I am afraid that our growing season here isn't going to be long enough to grow the wonderful bushel gourds. Is there someone else I can send the seads to and if so do you think I might persuade them to donate one gourd to me. Heheh
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 1, 2009
4:51 PM

Post #6206419

Jan, You may be able to start it inside, in a one gallon pot, when it is time to transplant, just make the drainage holes bigger on the pot and plant the pot and all into the ground. Those roots will find their way out, also you can cut off the bottom of those plastic pots when it is time to sink them in.

I plan to do that with the seeds Jo sends me... (my master plan) lol. I am in zone 7-8 and they grow lots of gourds here, but I don't know if they also start them inside.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 1, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #6206433

I forgot to mention that the one up there with the glass is a zucca and I direct sowed that last year, I don't for the life of me remember when I sowed the seeds though. I did get some warty apple gourds and one or two regular apple gourds, the regular apple gourds shriveled some, but I think those tile guys are responsible for those plants dying sooner than they would have.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #6206536

Jan...just find a suck-----er friend...that will co operate!! LOL

Are you talking Bushel gourds or the African Gourds??
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2009
7:40 PM

Post #6207155

I talking about the huge seeds that you sent me. Is that the African gourd seeds?
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #6207280

Yes...if you start them inside...you might be able to grow them...the man who gave them to me scraped them while still green (I don't know about this!) but he claims they cure that way...the one he gave me was still green...but scraped...and it is about dry now...with 2 little dent in places near the bottom on one side.

Why not try a couple...nothing to lose.Jo
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 2, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #6208679

If either of you have any seeds for the African gourd, I'd like to try growing one. I think you have to make sure that is the only gourd on the vine to get a big one. I got some seeds from this zucca up there if you guys want some, I did take the seeds while the gourd was not completely dry so they wouldn't rot with the rest of the insides, so hopefully they are viable..
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2009
5:07 AM

Post #6209506

Gourd...I have a packet going out to you tomorrow...I THINK I included some of the African Gourd seeds in with them. Jo
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2009
7:04 AM

Post #6209724

Okay, I will give it a try. Like you say, I have nothing to lose but a few seeds.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 4, 2009
2:27 AM

Post #6218496

I think the pot way will be worth a try. One year I had some gourds growing in a pot with a hollyhock, so I kept on feeding it kelp, and other fertilizers, every two weeks,... well, the hollyhock grew through the pot, the roots went right out the holes and it grabbed the ground. I didn't move it because I didn't want to kill my gourd, it was a five gallon pot.

Well, I got one little gourd, but the hollyhock grew over 12 feet tall and it grew for about three years that way till we had to dig it out to put in a sidewalk.. it was the funniest thing, we put a bench under it and sat there, it was like a tree.
'
MORAL of the story, don't plant anything else with it...lol
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #6222647

Hi Gourd,
I haven't had a chance to mail those off yet. It has been pouring rain and my DH has been using my car. So... as soon as we have a sunny day I can walk to the PO from home. Its only about 1/2 mile and I always walk that way when I take my sweet dog for a walk. I will deffinately get them mail by next Tuesday at the latest.
Thanks for the info on the Holly hock. Whew that must have been a site. Too bad the gourd didn't benifit from all the kelp.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 7, 2009
7:37 AM

Post #6232456

Thank you Jan. I'll let you know when they arrive.. It has been windy here, some dirt/dust flying as usual for us. I love it when it is breezy, but the dust kills me.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 7, 2009
7:39 AM

Post #6232459

P.S. Jan,

I forgot to ask you what size gourds do you normally work on?

A.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #6233749

the one I am working on now is huge, like about 42" around. What I would like is one about 1/4 that size. Actually, anything about the size of a basket ball would be great.
Thanks
Jan

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #6247900

Working with gourds looks like a great craft. Where does one start to learn things, like how to dry them, how to clean them? Where do you get your decorating tips from? Do they hold water?
Linda Kay
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 10, 2009
8:02 PM

Post #6248153

taters, try this site, and click on the side where it says projects and shows.. there should be some video tips there. I'll post more later, for some reason, I feel like I've been hit by a train today, my whole body hurts.. what a day!

http://www.gourd.tv/guidethanks.shtml

Antoinette

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2009
8:40 PM

Post #6248291

Thank you very much for the link. I am looking forward to getting some gourds, and supplies to try this. There are so many things you can do with them.
LK
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 10, 2009
9:26 PM

Post #6248468

The videos are free to watch, http://www.gourd.tv/shows.shtml I think you may just have to register on their site. I have not been there in a couple of years. I mixed the stained glass with the gourd and there can be many things incorporated with gourds.. you will like this craft.

A.

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2009
11:45 PM

Post #6249087

The needles went out yesterday so you should have them by Thursday at the latest. Sorry it took so long.
Jan

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2009
11:46 PM

Post #6249092

May I ask whe you do with the needles?

LK
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6249111

This is what I do with the gourds. I cover them with wax and bead them.
I think that gourd is going to use the needles around the opening. She is going to sew them on like a basket weave I think

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2009
11:55 PM

Post #6249140

Wow, I have seen some of your other gourdss, and they are beautiful. How long does it take to make something like that?

LK
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 11, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #6249163

Thank you, i've been down with something the past few days, it is just really tiring..lol doing nothing..

A.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #6249201

Sorry ot hear your not feeling well. There is a lot of the crud and bad allergies going around.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 11, 2009
4:04 AM

Post #6250273

Two and a half years. The beads are only 13/0 and are picked up with a needle.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2009
4:07 AM

Post #6250283

Oh my, 2 & 1/2 years to make something like that. I bet it is very tedious! Placing each and every bead, just so! it is very pretty!
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 11, 2009
3:49 PM

Post #6251530

Oh boy, those are just gorgeous.. you have a lot of patience.

Thanks taters, it's probably just the weather and old age getting on me..

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 12, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #6254345

Thank you, got my pine needles and they look great...

A.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 18, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #6285037

Hi Jan,
I'll be digging out boxes out of the attic this Saturday and will mail on Monday morning, just wanted to let you know...

can you tell I don't go up there unless DH is around, in case I fall out of the sky..lol

A.
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2009
8:46 PM

Post #6286346

thanks so much gourd. You be careful. We don't heal as fast as we used to. What am I saying, I don't know how old you are but at my age every break is another major ache.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 23, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #6308043

Hi Jan,
I packed a box yesterday and DH took it with him this morning, so it should be on it's way by noon time. I asked him to put a confirmation sticker on it so that the PO gets it there sooner, I hope, sometimes when they see the green sticker they really deliver it a couple of days quicker. Also, if it costs close to the postage, he will send it priority instead of regular mail. Sent four and hopefully they aren't too bad, I grew these in CA and they are about the size of basketballs, maybe not so round though.. be looking for a big box..lol

Let me know when they arrive if you will.. Thank you again for the trade.

Antoinette
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6308262

Thanks so much, I will keep an eye out for a BIG box. hehe
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

March 23, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6309940

The box is gone!

taters,
did you find seeds? I've got some gourd seeds if you want some... let me know what type you are looking for and if I have some you can have some for SASE..

A.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America