Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Beginner's Guide to Making Jam or Jelly: Thank you so much!

Communities > Forums > Article: Beginner's Guide to Making Jam or Jelly
bookmark
Forum: Article: Beginner's Guide to Making Jam or JellyReplies: 13, Views: 91
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2008
5:01 AM

Post #5657710

Diana, Thanks for the info! I have a 50/50 shot every time I try to make jam or jelly. The article was very beautifully done, informative, and much needed! It's a keeper, so I'm printing this as reference for my next jelly making adventure.

Bev

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 11, 2008
11:00 AM

Post #5658006

this one is getting saved... I never tried to make jelly or jam... but always wanted to... thanks so much

Allison

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2008
3:24 PM

Post #5658605

Hi, I'm glad to hear you found my story and recipe helpful.

It is really a lot of fun to make jelly. After you get a batch of basic grape jelly successfully made, you may find yourself graduating to an advanced level and trying more unusual jelly recipes like Dave's Garden member, 'Darius' makes.

She has posted recipes that include: sweet woodruff, dandelion, kudzu blossom, violet, sassafras, lemon rosemary, and lemon verbena jelly! Next year I hope to try one of those, as well as watermelon jelly :)

I know here on the East coast our grape harvest is past, but out West the harvest is expected to continue until the end of October. Hopefully others will find the recipe helpful and save it for future reference too.

Happy, Healthy Gardening!
~Diana

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #5658752

Great article, Diana, and great advice!

I only ever make cranberry sauce/jelly, which jells every time, no matter how much sugar I use or don't use! Gotta love cranberries - which are just coming into season. Go buy some; so few of us have our own bush or bog these days. Here is a link to my (edited to add old) article
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/315/

This message was edited Oct 11, 2008 12:34 PM
weegy12
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

October 11, 2008
5:42 PM

Post #5658916

Am printing this one for sure, always wanted to try my hand at jams and jellies and this was so very specific and beginner friendly. Thank you Diana!

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #5659253

Your quite welcome weegy :)

and thanks Carrie, I enjoyed your article too :)

Cranberries are unique in the sense that they are really high in good quality pectin and low in pH (around 2.7 to 2.9). Other than to counter their tart taste, cranberry jellies are best with below 60 percent sugar concentration for the mixture to gel. Because you can keep them frozen, cranberries are also convenient.

You can also freeze grapes when you don't have time to make jelly at harvest time. I regret not freezing our grapes this season. By the time we picked them, a lot of ripe grapes had fallen to the ground! Our ants and birds were happy this year though!

~Diana

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2008
10:51 PM

Post #5659719

The one time batch of grape jelly I made was better than Welch's. We didn't have time to mess with the grapes, other than cleaning, so we froze them for a few months. I swear I think the ice crystals softened the skins releasing more color and flavor!

Bev
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

October 12, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #5660172

So imformative - this was excellent and thanks !!

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 29, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #6880567

If all else fails, and your jelly doesn't gel, it makes fantastic fruit syrup to put over waffles. My first batch of blackberry jelly didn't set, but everyone raved over the gourmet fruit syrup. ^_^ It's all in the spin. LOL

My favorite type of preserve to make (and eat!) is a cranberry-grape marmalade. It has a great balance of sweet and tart, and the pectin from the cranberries helps it set up every time.

Thanks for a great article! Clear directions and really helpful photos, too!

Angie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 29, 2009
11:21 PM

Post #6882055

Yes, cranberries will ALWAYS jell. (In my experience.)

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

July 30, 2009
3:38 PM

Post #6884784

Hi Angie and Carrie,

I've had pretty good luck too with cranberries. And would you believe we are STILL working our way through the unset Jelly 'fruit sauce' from way back when. There must have been just enough sugar to preserve it, because it never spoiled.

Thanks for reminding me. I'll have to dig a jar out of the pantry and put it in the fridge so it gets used to top Vanilla frozen yogurt or for pancakes or waffles, like you mentioned. My husband also likes to use it in a Yogurt Frozen Fruit Smoothie concoction.

Also, as we speak, our grapes (red and green) are ripening away on the vines, so far so good. I was hoping our wild turkey (summer visitor) wasn't going to nibble them!

Nice to hear from you both,
Diana

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2009
9:56 AM

Post #6963768

good to read even the second time

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2009
12:02 PM

Post #6963993

Thanks onewish, it is quite timely too. This past weekend, we just harvested over 8lbs from our red vine and none from our green vine. The green grapes all vanished! We must have missed their ripening time and lost them to mother nature. Red grapes are easy to tell when ripe, green are harder to tell.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6966402

oh bummer

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Beginner's Guide to Making Jam or Jelly Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you!! 1AnjL 2 Oct 12, 2008 2:03 AM
Thank you! saanansandy 2 Aug 20, 2009 12:13 AM
Helpful Hints Petalpants 5 Sep 30, 2010 9:47 PM
Thank You FenwickFarm 1 Aug 25, 2009 2:40 PM
Making lemonade from lemons DianeEG 1 Aug 29, 2009 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America