Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Passifloras: Need help rooting a passiflora

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 11, Views: 144
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
janabarnett
Humble, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 11, 2008
4:53 PM

Post #5658801

I brought home a long stem of passiflora (I think it is
'incense') from my sister's house in the hope of rooting it.
I stripped all the leaves and blooms off, cut it into app.6'pieces, being careful to leave a node at the top and bottom. I put them in a clear plastic cup and added water. After about 10 days or so I saw tiny leaves starting to form at the node areas. They have continued to put out more leaves and look really good---except no roots.
I started this on Sept 4th and still no roots. Can someone tell me what to do next? Do I put them in soil? I did that with some earlier and they all died.
jana

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2008
1:59 AM

Post #5664227

Jana i have several passi cuttings trying to get roots and they are all doing nicely. Change the water ever 4 days or so and they will develop roots eventually, be patient! Clem
janabarnett
Humble, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
3:59 AM

Post #5664702

Hi Clem, thanks for your help. I do change the water often, but I am beginning to think they will never grow roots. The tiny leaves sure are cute.
I guess I need to have more patience.
Thanks again
jana

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2008
1:58 PM

Post #5665659

I will be having tons of cuttings in a couple of weeks, i need to trim mine quite a bit in order to bring them indoors for the winter, if they have not rooted for you and die, d mail me and I can send you some, ok!
janabarnett
Humble, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
4:16 PM

Post #5666175

Clem, thanks so much. I will do that. What is the name of the one you will be trimming?
jana

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #5666386

Jana I have quiet a few, but I only have the name on one of them, incense, which is the one you have, I can send pics along!
janabarnett
Humble, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
8:28 PM

Post #5667081

Clem, I never even thought about the plants I had having names ,well I knew they had names but I mean the exact species and so,,, until I got into a plant group ! Then it seemed so important to many in the group ! Sure ,, there are some I wish I knew and sometimes I really need to find out because of different care requirements--- but all in all it is not that big a deal to me to have every name correct and proper. I am only guessing about the name of this passi because across the street from my sis is a nursery. We went over there and I saw a pot of the ( I think) same passi-- that is how I got the name.

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2008
10:35 PM

Post #5667677

You wanna see pics. here you go

Thumbnail by Clemen
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2008
10:38 PM

Post #5667687

ok

Thumbnail by Clemen

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #5667700

one more and I have others, d mail when you are ready for shipping and enjoy!

Thumbnail by Clemen

Kylie2x
Millsap, TX

November 4, 2008
11:58 PM

Post #5752814

WOW!! I am new to Daves not so much to Passi's.. Clem you have some beautiful pic's.. here is a method I have used and have had much success..
Clem that second pic is Awesome...
Kylie

Posted by msbatt 7 (My Page) on Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 13:13

I've had the most success in rooting passies using florists' foam ('wet' foam) as my rooting medium. Soak the foam for 10-15 minutes, then cut it into small cubes no more than an inch on a side and place them in a shallow tray with enough water to come half-way up the sides. Cut your passie cuttings into two-node cuttinggs, snipping about a quarter-inch below the bottom node. (Note---it's EXTREMELY important to be certain the 'bottom' node is actually the rootward end, and it's EASY to get confused with passies---always work from the tip down, just to be certain.) Carefully remove the bottom set of leaves, and I usually rreduce the size of the leaves on the top node, too. Dip the bottom end in just a touch of rooting powder, and insert them into the foam until the bottom node is just barely below the surface. Place the tray in bright but indirect light, and keep the foam moist at all tiimes. Once you see the roots coming through the foam, they're ready to pot up. As the roots grow, they'll break down the foam by themselves.

Clemen

Clemen
Nassau County, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2008
3:35 AM

Post #5753797

Great tip!!! i will try that with my cuttings next time!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America