Need help rooting a passiflora

Humble, TX(Zone 9a)

I brought home a long stem of passiflora (I think it is
'incense') from my sister's house in the hope of rooting it.
I stripped all the leaves and blooms off, cut it into app.6'pieces, being careful to leave a node at the top and bottom. I put them in a clear plastic cup and added water. After about 10 days or so I saw tiny leaves starting to form at the node areas. They have continued to put out more leaves and look really good---except no roots.
I started this on Sept 4th and still no roots. Can someone tell me what to do next? Do I put them in soil? I did that with some earlier and they all died.
jana

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

Jana i have several passi cuttings trying to get roots and they are all doing nicely. Change the water ever 4 days or so and they will develop roots eventually, be patient! Clem

Humble, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Clem, thanks for your help. I do change the water often, but I am beginning to think they will never grow roots. The tiny leaves sure are cute.
I guess I need to have more patience.
Thanks again
jana

I will be having tons of cuttings in a couple of weeks, i need to trim mine quite a bit in order to bring them indoors for the winter, if they have not rooted for you and die, d mail me and I can send you some, ok!

Humble, TX(Zone 9a)

Clem, thanks so much. I will do that. What is the name of the one you will be trimming?
jana

Jana I have quiet a few, but I only have the name on one of them, incense, which is the one you have, I can send pics along!

Humble, TX(Zone 9a)

Clem, I never even thought about the plants I had having names ,well I knew they had names but I mean the exact species and so,,, until I got into a plant group ! Then it seemed so important to many in the group ! Sure ,, there are some I wish I knew and sometimes I really need to find out because of different care requirements--- but all in all it is not that big a deal to me to have every name correct and proper. I am only guessing about the name of this passi because across the street from my sis is a nursery. We went over there and I saw a pot of the ( I think) same passi-- that is how I got the name.

You wanna see pics. here you go

Thumbnail by Clemen

ok

Thumbnail by Clemen

one more and I have others, d mail when you are ready for shipping and enjoy!

Thumbnail by Clemen
Millsap, TX

WOW!! I am new to Daves not so much to Passi's.. Clem you have some beautiful pic's.. here is a method I have used and have had much success..
Clem that second pic is Awesome...
Kylie

Posted by msbatt 7 (My Page) on Wed, Apr 25, 07 at 13:13

I've had the most success in rooting passies using florists' foam ('wet' foam) as my rooting medium. Soak the foam for 10-15 minutes, then cut it into small cubes no more than an inch on a side and place them in a shallow tray with enough water to come half-way up the sides. Cut your passie cuttings into two-node cuttinggs, snipping about a quarter-inch below the bottom node. (Note---it's EXTREMELY important to be certain the 'bottom' node is actually the rootward end, and it's EASY to get confused with passies---always work from the tip down, just to be certain.) Carefully remove the bottom set of leaves, and I usually rreduce the size of the leaves on the top node, too. Dip the bottom end in just a touch of rooting powder, and insert them into the foam until the bottom node is just barely below the surface. Place the tray in bright but indirect light, and keep the foam moist at all tiimes. Once you see the roots coming through the foam, they're ready to pot up. As the roots grow, they'll break down the foam by themselves.

Great tip!!! i will try that with my cuttings next time!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images