Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Beginner's Guide to Making Jam or Jelly: Thank you!!

Communities > Forums > Article: Beginner's Guide to Making Jam or Jelly
bookmark
Forum: Article: Beginner's Guide to Making Jam or JellyReplies: 2, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
1AnjL
(AnjL) Fremont, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 12, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #5660101

I just tried making jams and jellies for the first time this season. I wasnt brave enough to use fresh fruit!
Made apple jelly with apple juice and for raspberry, and strawberry jams I used frozen fruit.

Maybe next year when the blackberries and blueberrys ripen, I'll attempt them :)

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2008
1:59 AM

Post #5660481

Hi anjL,

It sounds like you had better luck than we did the fist time around with our grapes! Blackberries have high quality pectin in them as well as enough acid to make a good jelly without adding extra pectin or acid to the recipe. I'm not sure about blueberries.

Actually, now that I think about it, the first jelly I ever made was blueberry, a loooooong time ago! I can't remember about the pectin though. I've never had luck growing blueberries, I went to a farm and took a hayride out to their field and picked the blueberries. It was fun :)

My friend mixes the berries with great success.

Good luck with your jelly next year!

~Diana
1AnjL
(AnjL) Fremont, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 12, 2008
2:03 AM

Post #5660490

Thanks Diana,

If it werent for all the wonderful DGers here, I would have never even attempted to make my own canned goods. We had alot of fun trying different recipes this year. I cant wait for next year!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Beginner's Guide to Making Jam or Jelly Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you so much! Sundownr 13 Aug 20, 2009 12:23 AM
Thank you! saanansandy 2 Aug 20, 2009 12:13 AM
Helpful Hints Petalpants 5 Sep 30, 2010 9:47 PM
Thank You FenwickFarm 1 Aug 25, 2009 2:40 PM
Making lemonade from lemons DianeEG 1 Aug 29, 2009 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America