-
AuthorContent
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2008
3:00 AM

Post #5664515

I can't seem to find any low sodium beef or chicken boulion mix out there at all and can't find it locally.

The gravy mixes in the store are loaded with salt. and I have to watch the salt and fat also.

any ideas?
zhinu
(Laura) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2008
3:37 AM

Post #5664644

I often make my own broth from left over roasts. That would allow you to control what goes in, refridgerate it and skim off the fat until it's clear and you've removed most of the fat. Then it can be frozen until you're ready to use it.

I found that I can make a really good chicken or brown gravy out of broth and corn starch, once again you can control what goes into it.

It takes a little more effort than just mixing up something from a box, but the gravy in particular isn't much harder. Even the broth is mainly just letting in go on a low boil for a long time. If you want better instructions let me know.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2008
11:59 AM

Post #5665306

Thanks zhinu, I can do this too, and probably will in the future. still would like to find a low sodium bollion type though also
zhinu
(Laura) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2008
11:01 PM

Post #5667792

If you have a co-op or other healthy grocery store you might try there, our big chain stores here carry them.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2008
11:16 PM

Post #5667888

I looked at walmart today they din't have any thing helpful, I use to be a part of a coop but it's no longer open, but I'll check my local health food store too
andidandi
Arlington, VA

October 20, 2008
11:02 PM

Post #5696375

All I can say is, avoid the Herb Ox one if you come across it. I accidentally bought it once, rather than the regular version, and it had no flavor at all.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2008
12:25 PM

Post #5698533

I haven't used any so far cause they all have too much salt in them
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

October 23, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #5707607

What about the ones you have to refrigerate after you open them? They're usually a paste-like consistency? I know they have salt in them, but it's not nearly as much as the dreaded 'herb-ox' type, which is pretty much a little block of beef or chicken-colored salt.

Making your own from scratch is what I was going to suggest too. There's lots of different thickeners to choose from and as was pointed out, you can skim nearly 100% of the fat off your pan drippings if you chill them. Or you can get one of those little gadgets that allow you to pour off the broth part from under the fat which floats. They look a bit like measuring cups with spouts? I'm sure you've seen them.

I always keep a container of chicken and one of beef of those paste-like bullions in the 'fridge or cupboard, especially in the chilly weather, when we live on soups and stews.--Melis
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

October 23, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #5707996

http://www.superiortouch.com/btb.htm

You can buy this product in the grocery store but my store did not carry the low sodium one so I ordered it from their website.

It comes in chicken, beef and vegetarian in the low sodium version.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2008
3:42 PM

Post #5708086

thanks I'll try that
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

October 23, 2008
4:55 PM

Post #5708365

Yeah, THAT'S the stuff! That particular brand is especially good. I had no idea it came in that many kinds though! Thanks for the link.--Melis
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #5708527

I purchased some, I kind of wondered about the s easonings, if they were low salt. I got some of the boulion and a couple packs each of the chicken and beef gravy mix, we'll see how they go, if they go over well I'll order some more. but thanks so much for that link.
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

October 23, 2008
5:52 PM

Post #5708563

I was kinda thinking of getting some of the ham and clam ones because I make a lot of New England style chowder in the winter, and I don't know about you, but I never have enough bucks to put as much clams and juice into it as I'd like, also when making bean soup in the winter, I don't always have a slab of ham, or a ham bone or hock handy to flavor the beans and it would be nice to have a concentrated ham stock handy to flavor it with.

Say Chef, you know what sort of shelf life those have? Beef and chicken I know I'll use up fast, but not as sure how fast I'd use up the clam. Considering that it's a real meat product, would it be good a whole year? A couple of years?

Melis
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

October 23, 2008
8:37 PM

Post #5709031

I ordered mine about a year ago; on the jar it says "Best if used by 03/2010". I keep opened jars in the refrigerator.

I am very sensitive to salt and felt that the regular was too salty. Ordered the low sodium from their website and am much happier with that.

Most of the rest of their stuff has too much salt in it for me.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2008
10:22 PM

Post #5709410

well, that's what I needed to know, I shouldhave just ordered the low sodium bollions and not the gravy mixes too. I do appreciate having found the low sodium bullions though, thanks so much
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

October 24, 2008
5:26 PM

Post #5712011

:)
kassy_51
Marinette, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 5, 2008
5:30 AM

Post #5754174

Hi kathy_ann,

Here is another site where you can order low sodium and no sodium boths.
I have used the no sodium broth for a client that I have who is very restricted in his diet.
http://healthyheartmarket.com/brothandstock.aspx

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2008
1:42 PM

Post #5754731

Thank you so much, I'll try that for sure.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 5, 2008
2:22 PM

Post #5754843

I was looking over that list, for a heart healthy web site it's got some ingred I'd sure like to know what they are and they sound real close to the MSG but spelled differently

the herb ox

has this
MONOAMMONIUM GLUTAMATE
DISODIUM INOSINATE
what are these things? anybody know?

and the home again salt free chicken base has this, does anyhbody know what this is

Monpotassium Glutamate,

I know their not Monoammonium glutamate (MSG), & monosodium glutamate but it sounds alot like it it's that glutamate that scares me, or am I just nuts? I'm gonna go look up thse and see what they mean, I loved the site but don't want to get msg in anything and I know that a heart healthy web site wouldn't have that in their products.

This message was edited Nov 5, 2008 8:27 AM

Edited to add that I researched this and the monopotassium glutamate has MSG in it,
and the MONOAMMONIUM GLUTAMATE Also has MSg in it. I need to stay away from those items, I can't belive this web site has stuff like this as ingredients. strange.

This message was edited Nov 5, 2008 8:31 AM
kassy_51
Marinette, WI
(Zone 4b)

November 6, 2008
12:20 AM

Post #5756926

kathy_ann, can I ask how restricted of a diet you are on?

The young guy I take care of is on a diet of no more then 2,000 mg's of sodium a day. And no more then 200 mg's per any one food item. And less sodium per serving in some things like salad dressings and cheese.

Everything has some natural sodium in it, including an apple.
If you need any good recipe's, like sweet and sour sauce for stirfry, or BBQ sauce, let me know. I have a few recipe's in my collection. And some of them people who aren't even on low sodium diets really love ^_^
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2008
1:27 PM

Post #5758377

WEll I'm on a cardio diet, not any restrictions mentioned, but just to cut out alot of the fats, cholesterol and alot of the salt. NOt completely cutting out salt, that's impossible I know, I think I can have 2200 mg a day, Low salt is what I meant on the subject of this thread.

But I don't like msg and would rather stay away f rom msg oranytihng that has msg in it.
grownut
Clarkson, KY

November 9, 2008
2:10 AM

Post #5768505

If you are making any gravies or soup stocks there are a couple ingredients which will bring out the taste without the salt -garlic for beef and chicken, tumeric and celery seed for chicken, red wine for beef, pepper for both. Also vinegar. And a tiny bit of soy sauce goes a long way -more bang for your buck. Know nothing about the commercial mixes but you have some good leads for those already.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cooking Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cooking Questions Answered MistyMeadows 385 Dec 3, 2009 5:25 AM
Classic Cooking Answers`& Advice TwinLakesChef 8 Mar 9, 2010 4:23 PM
Memorable kitchen mishaps McCool 81 Jul 25, 2007 4:28 AM
Kraft Food's "Food & Family" magazine... WUVIE 20 Apr 2, 2009 3:09 PM
Wanted: No Fail Sponge Recipe leelovespigs 45 Dec 2, 2009 6:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America