Alpinia rugosa

Gainesville, FL

This is my favorite ginger at the moment. It has yet to bloom. It was imported by Tom Wood and is still relatively uncommon. ANyone else growing it? Have you had a bloom?

Thumbnail by gothqueen
Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm not growing it but those leaves are just fabulous. Even if it didn't bloom, the foilage is pretty cool to look at. Do you know what the bloom will look like?

Gainesville, FL

No. I have never seen one in bloom, or a photo of one in bloom. This ginger was imported in very small quantity into the country by Dr. Tom Wood. He was selling a very few specimens locally at a plant sale here last March, but I actually got mine as a trade from someone who had previously obtained one from another source. Good thing too, as he was selling them for $50 each. The leaves are really cool. Kind of like a narrow Anthurium veitchii on a ginger.

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

I googled it and found a similar one that has red spikey flowers with white tips. Not sure if those are the inflo or actual flowers. Really cool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALPINIA-RUGOSA----Very-Rare-Ginger--PLANT-_W0QQitemZ230302010988QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20081020?IMSfp=TL081020114006r11359

Gainesville, FL

That's the one. I guess I have that to look forward to in the future

Louisville, KY

Wowee! What an awesome plant. Thanks for posting the pic.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images