Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Voting Booth: What's the primary color in your garden right now?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 81, Views: 1,003
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

October 13, 2008
9:50 AM

Post #5665075

There are a total of 408 votes:

Green (leaves, grass, or...?)
(208 votes, 50%)
Red dot

Yellows, with all the leaves turning
(55 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Orange, from all the pumpkins, gourds, and flowers!
(14 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Red (sugar maples, mums, and ???)
(17 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Purple (foliage plants and flowers!)
(28 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Brown (seed heads, frost-touched tender plants, etc.)
(25 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Other?
(61 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

okus

(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2008
10:07 AM

Post #5665090

Oranges, reds and yellows, but it has nothing to do with pumpkins, so I voted other!!!

Its African Marigolds, and Dahlias mainly with the odd gladioli and rose causing the colour. The secondary colour is green from grass and foliage and there is the odd dash of purple and blue from buddlea, verbena, scabiosa and Morning Glory.

This message was edited Oct 13, 2008 11:07 AM
dmdula
Morganton, NC

October 13, 2008
10:56 AM

Post #5665153

I said red cause i do have mums, suger maples, etc. but i alo have mixed pansies so i gues i could have said other.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2008
11:09 AM

Post #5665176

I still have a lot of color - the calendulas, cosmos and annual dahlias are still in bloom along with chrysnathemums, a couple of daisies, native asters, osteospermums, pineapple sage, Salvia patens, even the morning glories. This will of course all end with the first hard freeze, but so far we've only had light frosts and the forecasts looks good for another week.

forgot the roses!

This message was edited Oct 13, 2008 12:12 PM
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2008
11:11 AM

Post #5665184

I voted other as the leaves haven't started turning (although it is way too dry) but I have noticed the bloom colors seem to cycle and lately both wildflowers and my "tame" flowers are blooming in whites and yellows.

Thumbnail by podster
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 13, 2008
11:50 AM

Post #5665297

Very unusual, no frost yet! So everything is still in full bloom. Trees are glorious colors because they are turning naturally instead of being froze. Field crops are looking great. Corn fields are a blend of green & brown. Alfalfa fields are bright green from recent rains.
I even picked a bouquet of Gladiolus yesterday. Last year at this time they were all dug & in the greenhouse drying.
Bernie
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 13, 2008
12:09 PM

Post #5665341

I had to vote "other" because there seems to be always something blooming down our way. I still have red and pink hibiscus blooming, pink knock out roses, yellow alamanda, red, lilac and pink pentas, white tuberroses, four o'clocks of different colors and vinca minor/periwinkle (which are weeds down here and sprout up everywhere.) Last week I even found two flowers on one of the hibiscus bushes!

We are having an early fall, the Maple tree in the front yard has begun shedding it's leaves, the eastern red bud and crape myrtle's also. The hickory's haven't starting losing leaves yet but by the end of November or early December they will probably be bare also.

There are a lot of Golden Rain trees around the area right now with beautiful colors, some with the pinkish colored seed pods and some that have the beautiful yellow flowers.

I would trade all of these blooming flowers for some of that beautiful fall scenery some of y'all get!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
12:21 PM

Post #5665368

Nearly all the trees still green here, just odd ones here and there starting to turn yellow or orange.

Nice mild 16 today, no frosts yet.

Resin

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2008
12:29 PM

Post #5665387

I still have cannas blooming and vitex with blooms. No major leaf changes yet; so everything is still mainly green with asters, zinnias and others adding punches of color.
twinkielee
Minden, LA

October 13, 2008
1:00 PM

Post #5665449

There's a hint of yellow in the leaves and grass, but not because of fall's approach. Everything is so drought-stressed around here that our leaves will probably shed before they really get the chance to be pretty from cooler weather. However, the ditches and fields are full of goldenrod and varieties of late summer sunflowers, some white asters, and some wild ageratum. Pretty, but not spectacular.
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2008
1:14 PM

Post #5665485

We have few trees that are reliable "color changers" since we have a lot of pines and live oaks and other oaks. The Crape Myrtles are slowly changing color and will soon drop their leaves but we have the beautiful bark on them. Until we have a frost we will have our usual flowers and bushes, etc. I am in the midst of planting allyssum (sp?), dianthus, Petunias, lobelia, and some other stuff that I have forgotten names of . I restrained myself when I went to the nursery because I knew it would be difficult to get these in the ground w/out help. I like seeds best because I can scratch the ground, scatter the seeds then toss on a handfuls of potting soil (if necessary) and tamp down w/the hoe. No more really colorful beds for me now that I am so blasted old!

Ann
nifty413
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2008
3:01 PM

Post #5665885

Interesting syntax: "...'primary color' in your garden..." (i.e. blue (not an option here), red, yellow).
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2008
3:04 PM

Post #5665902

LOL nifty! I never noticed that. I voted purple because I have mounds of asters that are nearly 4 feet across. My second choice would have been whatever color weeds are. :-(
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #5665930

I voted green, we finally had some rain and the weeds are rampant.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2008
3:42 PM

Post #5666027

I voted green, too. Most everything in still green even after snow yesterday. That's gone now.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #5666274

I voted other cause we have all the colors. Yellow leaves on the trees, mums, and zinnas, Purple on zinnas, some other flowers, cannas and a bush, orange from the leaves, white from pentas and the dust from the gravel road, red from cannas, green from foilage, grass and leaves that haven't turned yet and brown from the seedheads of my coneflowers and all the other wildflowers in the pasture, plus the bark and limbs of the trees that are slowly being more exposed everyday.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #5666362

Everything is about 90% greeen here.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 13, 2008
5:30 PM

Post #5666496

Still lots of green but since we have hard hard frost the past 2-3 nights a lot of the green is frosted! I still have some blooms - Autumn Joy sedum and a couple of fall blooming asters still looking OK. - globe thistles still in bloom and the Euphorbia and Peony foliage stilllooking nice. But not for long Im sure! We often have a killing frost early in Sept. so it has been a nice treat this year to get into mid October without one.Snow in the mountains but nothing in the city yet.
Meredith79
Southeastern, NH
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2008
6:25 PM

Post #5666676

MIne is all of the above - so I had to vote other.
valrita

October 13, 2008
6:29 PM

Post #5666689

I had to vote other because there really isn't a main color in my yard. I have roses so there is yellow, red, orange, white and pink. There's still plenty of purple salvia and asters. Soft pink mums and pink salvia. Yellow mums and rudbeckia. Maroon mums and dark red snapdragons. Bright red holly berries.

Too many colors to narrow it down to just one main color. Next month will be a different story though.
fernman23
HENDERSON, NV
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
6:38 PM

Post #5666728

Loads of vines...passis, MG's Crossvines and Honeysucles...there are some flowers for another month or so, plus the ground is covered in Perwinkle gone mad as well as spider plants stretching out!!!
:D
jeffinsgf
Brighton, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 13, 2008
7:00 PM

Post #5666803

Still green here. I have a few cukes to pick, then they'll be done. Zukes are still blooming like crazy. Tomatoes still ripening, but I don't think we'll see any more. Okra still blossoming every day, though the pods are maturing in odd shapes -- still taste the same. I have a few bell peppers that are still growing, but the jalapenos are over.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
7:08 PM

Post #5666832

I said other as my yard is a riot of color.
I have a good 1,000 coleus planted and all against ornamental sweet potato and peanuts.
So many blooming goodies.
Sidney
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

October 13, 2008
9:29 PM

Post #5667367

It is still green here. Besides most of my bushes and shrubs are evergreens. I do have splashes of flowers here and there, and a lot of brown gravel, but no turning trees. And it is supposed to get down to 23 tonight with rain and snow. I suspect we will have no leaves exept on the evergreens after tonight and tomorrow. Downtown there is quite a bit of red and yellow, but not in my yard.
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2008
10:16 PM

Post #5667590

I'm sure this one is very geographical. I have grass, evergreens, and even vegetables that are still green. A little bit of red and purple due to flowers and foliar colors. The deciduous shade tree in my yard still has green leaves.
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2008
10:40 PM

Post #5667698

Mostly green here, grass, roses, etc. Some of the larger trees are starting to turn though.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2008
11:05 PM

Post #5667832

I voted purple, it is my DH's favorite color and is planted everywhere he could make a spot. Only the forsythia and some of the sassafras is turning color, and the celosia looks a bit "tired", everything else looks good.
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

October 14, 2008
12:57 AM

Post #5668312

Green rapidly moving to yellow and brown. Our first freeze may be tonight! The wild plants are already moving from yellow to brown, however.
tropicsofohio
Hilliard, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5668490

most of the leaves that were starting to turn last month got blown off by ohio's first "hurricane". the winds got up to 78mph in columbus, but all the trees that faired well are now in full color. my 70 Foot tall cotton woods have no leaves b/c of the storm:( many of the beautiful green ash trees were strewn about the streets, my banana tree was ripped to shreds, and all the leaves were VERY wind burned:( oh well. other than that, i voted green, because thats the primary color in the garden. but other places the leaves are beautiful.

Thumbnail by tropicsofohio

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2008
2:09 AM

Post #5668713

Brown, gray, beige, brown... cardboard, rocks, leafmulch, dried grasses, brown...

actually I shouldn't even vote as it is not really a garden yet, only in my imagination is it so.

We had 20 degrees of cold night before last, crystals of snow the previous morning...

The morning freezes sparkle that ole brown up some, they do. ;-)

sorry, only word pictures available.
Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

October 14, 2008
2:13 AM

Post #5668733

I had to vote other, since white wasn't an option. When I left home yesterday morning there was about 8 inches of snow on it.

Thumbnail by Joan

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2008
3:41 AM

Post #5669036

In my small garden the rose of sharon has turned a beautiful yellow which goes perfectly witht my perennial mums of the same colour. Also the yellow and blue pansies are beautiful as well.
Aguane
Phoenix, AZ

October 14, 2008
4:34 AM

Post #5669133

Green. Those hardy plants that survived 2 months on 110 degree heat are beginning to wake up. Many visits to the nursery where we can purchase 'tunias, snaps, mums etc... add lots of other color. We need to 'make hay' when we can. Overseeded a small lawn with winter rye for even more green. It can be so severe here. We tend to freeze in Dec/Jan and have to start all over for a short spring. Its all good.
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2008
4:44 AM

Post #5669149

All of the roses, tropicals, and annuals are still in bloom here, in every possible color, so I had to choose "other."
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

October 14, 2008
6:53 AM

Post #5669247

Spring here, all the colours of the rainbow, and then some!

Thumbnail by weed_woman

DiamondD
Baton Rouge, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2008
12:22 PM

Post #5669602

I'm zone 8b. Everything is blooming.
DiamondD
Baton Rouge, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2008
12:24 PM

Post #5669610

Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

----oh good grief. I cannot imagine being that cold already. I'm in shorts and a tank top. Burrrrr. I whine about the cold [warm temps to you I'm sure] in November.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

October 14, 2008
1:58 PM

Post #5669861

Definitely GREEN - winter herbs(parsley, cilantro, dill, basil), horseradish, rosemary, and tomatoes with some flowers.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

October 14, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #5669959

green. there are no blooms. new house = garden comes last in the list of to dos but we are almost ready to tackle the landscape again :)
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 14, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #5670124

I voted other because its still colourful. Reds/oranges - mountain ash, cottonyaster, virgina creeper, mums, marigolds, snaps, sedums, roses. Purple - bergina, asters galore, herbs galore, burning bush has started to turn. Yellows - rudbeckia, 2 feet of leaves on the ground. White - phlox. Black - frozen dahlias LOL (actually I dug them all up this weekend). Lots of green too although with our night time temps. soon it will be brown sigh.
creekwalker
Benton County, MO
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2008
3:38 PM

Post #5670186

I voted other because ours is kind of a mix here. Some browns, some green, yellow, etc. Not really any one thing yet.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #5670530

I voted orange because it's my favorite color and thus I have lots of dahlias in various shades of orange, as well as mums, zinnias,Japanese Maples, still some marigolds, and lots of pumpkins. Then I went to the poll-results and was surprised to see how dominant the color green was in over half the respondents' gardens. Caused me to look around and see that in fact green is still the main color of my garden, too--no frost as yet--with lawns, pines and oaks and a mimosa tree, evergreen shrubs, hostas, ferns, hydrangeas. It's just that the orange colors have so much "punch" against the different greens. Fooled me.
AuntAnne
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2008
6:19 PM

Post #5670702

Joan, so beautiful to look at, but... lol

My Copper Canyon daisies have just about taken over everything. I cut them back once this summer, but now just waiting on that payoff of blooms. My morning glories are still in bloom and Conferderate Rose Hibiscus and Dr. Suess brug are blooming their pretty little (uh do plants have butts??) whatevers off.

Anne

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2008
7:50 PM

Post #5671039

The garden is still vibraint with all sort of color as we haven't had our first frost yet. So I voted for other...

Spring time in Australia, Winter in ND! Wooooo, I wanted to visit the Land down under when winter gets here!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

October 14, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #5671081

I really don't mind the first few snowfalls. There's just something cozy about them. It's when the snow continues for months and months and months that it starts to get old. That really hasn't been a problem for the last several years though. It's been so very dry here that it couldn't even snow. I'm hoping for lots of snow this winter so we can end the dry cycle and get rain next spring and summer. It's time.
Hillbilly_Gran
Jasper, AR
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2008
8:23 PM

Post #5671173

I had to go with "other" since there was no "all of the above"

Thumbnail by Hillbilly_Gran

bjf826
panhandle, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2008
9:00 PM

Post #5671303

Ohhhhhhhhh My Goodness, Hillbilly_Gran, I am SO jealous! What beautiful fall color that is. ~sigh~

Barb
figaro52
Oak Lawn, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2008
9:07 PM

Post #5671330

Purple (Several clumps of New England Aster (Purple Dome).
McCool
Millbury, MA
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2008
1:48 AM

Post #5672552

I voted "other" as the first thing I thought of was all the pink and maroon cosmos still blossoming like crazy. Then I thought of the dwarf marigolds (starting to look a little "tired" as I haven't been deadheading), the yellow and orange nasturtiums, and of course the turning foliage (looks like it will be a good foliage year). We actually do still have quite a bit of green as well.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2008
1:57 AM

Post #5672610

Ah, you East Coast folks have such beautiful fall colors. I like ours in New Mexico, but the brilliant colors of fall on the Eastern Seaboard is stunning.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2008
10:27 AM

Post #5673443

I too am in zone 8b. Still have a lot blooming, and most of the native wildflowers are fall bloomers, such a pleasure to see!!!! And the colors are purple, orange red yellow, pink, green, even some blue.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2008
11:19 AM

Post #5673528

I picked green. No frost yet, but not a lot still blooming. The roses are troopers. Most of them try to keep throwing out a bloom or two until they are hit with a hard frost. But it's not enough to pick a color...still mostly green in the rose garden.
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2008
4:19 PM

Post #5674587

the grass is green but the corn and beans are yellowish and the leaves are yellow,orange and reds and they are just
beautiful
fall in michigan
i still have daylilies and roses and more blooming!

winter cometh!
cactus_lover
FSD
Pakistan
(Zone 10b)

October 15, 2008
6:54 PM

Post #5675058

Leaves of Agaves,Aloes Euphobia.
Yasir
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #5675663

I voted "green" since most of my plants still have their foliage, but not too many blooms left. My roses are still blooming, and my butterfly bush is a mound of purple, but other than that, it's pretty much all green.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2008
10:14 PM

Post #5675748

I would have to say blue green is the most prominent color in my yard

Thumbnail by palmbob

DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

October 15, 2008
10:19 PM

Post #5675772

Beautiful, palmbob.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #5675779

Hurrican Ike did a number on our gardens here but after staking the tall plants back upright and clearing away the debris from the rest, it is beginning to look normal again. Still blooming are pink and yellow brugmansias, mealy blue sage, butterfly weed (I have the orange and the yellow), several varieties of coleus, 3 colors of begonia, 2 colors of dianthus, plumbago, tecoma, lantana, confederate rose hibiscus, many colors of impatiens, yellow daisy, zinnias pink and orange, vinca, firecracker fern,(russelia), hyacinth bean vine, mexican flame vine and purple heart. I have another flower which I am unable to identify. It grows 3 ft tall here covered with blue-bell type flowers. I have a median between my neighbor's yard and mine that is a sea of these beautiful plants. They are extremely prolific by making zillions of seeds. When I water, I can hear the seed pods popping open and if I stand close enough, they sting my legs when the seeds are shot out of the pod. I also have a pink variety of this plant and I have seen a white variety in other gardens. Anyone know what it is?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2008
11:58 PM

Post #5676161

Steadycam... I do believe you have a couple varieties of the Ruellia, Mexican petunia. This is a link to one of them... http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/38178/

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 16, 2008
12:28 AM

Post #5676279

Color everywhere here. These are my dahlias, many colors.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 16, 2008
12:57 AM

Post #5676397

Ahhhhhhh someone after my own heart. Mine have all been tucked into storage because naughty Jack lives here now. Thanks for sharing CountryGardens.
Janiejoy
Silver Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

October 16, 2008
2:43 AM

Post #5676883

My cosmos are about 9 feet tall and in still glorious burgundy, fuschia, and white, picotee and they are just so lovely and dance in the slightest breeze. Their foliage looks like asparagus to me and it blends so pretty with everything.
redheadedwonder11
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 16, 2008
4:05 AM

Post #5677271

All my pots have turned brown :'( At least there is a bit of green in the flowerbed still!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2008
5:04 AM

Post #5677406

Lots of color here. Fall wild flowers, yellow and whites. Dwarf Cannas stills blooming in shades of peach,pink, reds, yellows, oranges. Pampass Grass and Verigated Canes have white tassles. Red Geraniums still blooming. Red and yellow Lantana still Blooming. Mixed Impatiens standing tall and blooming. Pink climbing roses bursting with blooms.
Purple double Petunias still blooming. Grass still green. Most trees are light shades of green , few yellowing.
Frost is around the corner, should be end of Oct or first week in Nov.
Must soak it all in before it all goes to bed.

dobra1629
Houma, LA

October 16, 2008
3:56 PM

Post #5678677

Green plus lots of color from my adeniums, cannas, hibicus and brugs.

Dorothy
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2008
10:19 PM

Post #5680270

Weeds stay green the longest of anything!
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 16, 2008
10:31 PM

Post #5680322

snort
DonM47
Grand Forks, BC
(Zone 5b)

October 16, 2008
11:05 PM

Post #5680456

Yep, the first to arrive, the last to leave...

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #5680467

I have all of the above right now!
AuntAnne
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #5680686

After a long day I was greeted by blue.

Thumbnail by AuntAnne

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #5681663

well... I'd haveto say it's pink now.. with about 200 bloons on one of my brugs alone..
Gordon

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

Surreybrit
Big Lake, MN
(Zone 4a)

October 17, 2008
7:24 PM

Post #5684126

Brown - ground is carpeted with dead leaves and those remaining on most of the trees are also brown, too many Oak trees around here for my liking. My dahlias are nothing but black stems and leaves. Have to look CountryGarden's area up to see where in the State hasn't been hit by a freeze yet, must be in the southern portion.
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 18, 2008
12:02 AM

Post #5685035

I hear you Surreybrit. My beluved dahlias are now all snug or I guess I should say chilling out in storage. Jack lives here now. Its amazing how many of the fall bloomers spit in his eye though. HA! Take that Jack!

Dahlianut
aka Lifetime Member of the Jack Go Back Club
Connie_G
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2008
10:00 PM

Post #5687822

I had to say "other" as I still have the same flowers as I've had all summer. We still have temps in the 90's in the afternoons...and the plants are doing even better now that we don't have 100+ temps!

Here are the impatiens...fighting for space with the "blooming" grasses...lovin' this "cooler" weather here in Austin...

Thumbnail by Connie_G

LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

October 19, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #5688703

I voted green because its spring here, seedling time! But there are some other lovely colours to be seen as well.

Lena

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ

Jungleman
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #5689119

Had to say green, though there is a touch of unwatered lawn that makes things a bit more brown :(. I do have some brilliant Strelizias blooming right now, and the Lime tree has some fragrant white flowers on it, too.

Good old Southern California climate keeps things pretty much the same all the time, at least where I live. Some may find it boring, but the fun is in choosing whether you want spring or summer blooms, as most things bloom year round. November to March is Spring, April to October is Summer! Sure we get the odd freeze - but that just keeps us humble!;)

Jeff
Jungleman
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2008
3:10 AM

Post #5689152

Wow on this one palmbob!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5675748

Your palms have really taken off this year. I saw the pics of you developing your collection, and it is a very impressive one. Kudos, dude!
Cordeledawg
Cordele, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2008
3:47 AM

Post #5689338

I voted other since so many of the choices could go either way. I'm having 80* day weather and 60* night time temps. My grass is green but the bahia is not putting up their forked seed heads thank goodness. The mums are blooming yellows, whites, and reds. There are many blues in the garden with West Texas Mist flower in bloom. Just a rainbow of colors right now. Thanks to a mum coop I was in. My over extended coop budget at least is paying dividends in bloom right now. The house is decorated in autumn colors with a jack-o-lantern burning on the fireplace hearth, fall leaves as garland on the mantel and the table is all ready for Thanksgiving.
KatG
Port Charlotte, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 19, 2008
6:55 AM

Post #5689762

Things in my garden are "Pink" haha

Thumbnail by KatG

synergy
Appleton, WI

October 19, 2008
11:30 AM

Post #5689939

My impatiens are still blooming their little hearts out. Lots of color!
kviolette
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2008
3:02 PM

Post #5690455

Mostly green for me with a smattering of fall bloomers. Garden mums are really popping today as are the ornamental grasses and my big 'Miss Huff' lantana. Indigo Spires and Vict. Blue sages are great right now too in their deep indigo blue. The biggest bestest color though is the green of the lawn. After several years of drought, the Sept rains have really got it growing.

Our frost date is still a few weeks away so this is the last hurrah (cept for pansies which are in flats on my driveway...for now).
hespiris
Kingston, NY
(Zone 5b)

October 20, 2008
12:41 AM

Post #5692415

Still green. Mostly iris fans and a tad of lawn... Couple of zinnea blooming and some morning glories...a hazy annual brass gives it a restful look... still no hard frost on our side of the hill - and of course the trees in the background are doing their autumn splendor dance!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America