Photo by Melody

Article: What, about sorghum?: Sweet!

Communities > Forums > Article: What, about sorghum?
bookmark
Forum: Article: What, about sorghum?Replies: 10, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2008
11:19 AM

Post #5665204

Sally, thanks for an interesting and informative article! I developed a taste for sorghum when I lived in GA. A friend's family used to grow and mill it, so I had to try it at their table. I pick some up whenever I'm "down south," so I'm glad to learn there's a source close to home!

I confess that I still prefer maple syrup on pancakes (the genuine article please, none of this flavored corn syrup stuff LOL)... but I love sorghum on corn cakes, french toast, etc. Leftover cornbread broken into a bowl, drizzled with sorghum, and topped off with cold milk makes a wonderful breakfast!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2008
12:33 PM

Post #5665399

Thanks, critterologist!
I had a sorghum syrup- peanut butter sandwich last week--pretty tasty ! I used to do that with honey, but that makes a very sweet sandwich. Not that there's anything wrong with that LOL
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2008
1:11 PM

Post #5665477

Cornbread and sorghum... yummmm!!! We used to get sorghum syrup when we lived in Wisconsin and I LOVED it! Especially on cornbread. I didn't realize it's actually usually a southern crop. I'll have to look harder at our grocery shelves and see if we have any down here. Thanks, Sally!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2008
1:26 PM

Post #5665534

If I didn't have some freshly picked tomatoes, I'd be planning a PB & sorghum sandwich for lunch... intriguing. :-)
Allwild
North, TX

October 13, 2008
1:29 PM

Post #5665552

enjoyed your article very much. you touched on so much information in a short writing, that i too have a much clearer understanding of this "sweet nectar". i just used some pure surghum molasses a couple of weeks ago. funny thing is, it had been in my pantry for at least six years ,untouched (it was given to me by a friend who had gotten it from their home town of Pembroke, Kentucky). i was making some oven-baked beans and discovered i didn't have any brown sugar so used the surghum in it's place. The surghum molasses gave the beans a great flavor. then i added it to my bbq sauce for the ribs-excellent! Anyway, this stuff must last forever-although now that i finally used it, i expect i will be needing another jar soon.
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

October 13, 2008
6:02 PM

Post #5666596

Great article. I've always wondered about sorghum, so thanks for the historical aspect of the article. Will keep my eyes open when I shop and perhaps do a taste test of my own!

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2008
7:55 PM

Post #5666981

Love sorghum. getting harder to find, but they still sell it here. It rocks on good home made biscuits fresh from the oven! Some farmers here call it Sour-gum.
gisele3032
Sebring, FL

October 14, 2008
3:30 AM

Post #5669000

Sorghum in Central Florid. In an experiment to plant sweet sorghum in central Florida and convert it to biofuel, it could herald a fundamental change in the creation and use of renuable bio energy, Sweet sorghum, only the stalks are used for biofuel production while the grain is saved for food or livestock feed.Lake placid region has the ideal climat and ground it can produce two crop a year.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 14, 2008
1:45 PM

Post #5669816

Thank you all so much for your comments and further information.
I really HAVE to make some biscuits this weekend--I recently got myself a bag of Southern Biscuit flour for them, and now that I have the sorghum syrup, well ...! Not to mention, I have never been too thrilled about leftover cornbread, now I know what I've been missing. Needs the sorghum!

And yes I did see mention of the biofuel angle. That is very interesting. I believe it looks promising.
Agrinerd
Franklin, NC
(Zone 6b)

October 15, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #5672288

Gisele is right, and it takes way fewer inputs than corn to produce ethanol. Squeeze it, juice it, ferment it and sell the byproducts as feed and solid fuel.

This message was edited Oct 14, 2008 9:02 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 17, 2008
1:10 AM

Post #5681053

Here's a link to some sorghum recipes- although you can use it in place of "regular" molasses, too.
http://southernfood.about.com/library/weekly/aa101798.htm

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: What, about sorghum? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks candyinpok 1 Oct 13, 2008 12:36 PM
Sorghum flour in gluten free cooking Jennigma 2 Oct 14, 2008 12:00 AM
Good article... Sundownr 1 Oct 13, 2008 10:18 PM
Good article on sorghum CLScott 2 May 5, 2009 10:14 PM
WWII days revisited Indy 1 Oct 14, 2008 1:16 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America