Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Ornamental Gourds: Yet another use for gourds...

Communities > Forums > Ornamental Gourds
bookmark
Forum: Ornamental GourdsReplies: 30, Views: 566
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2008
7:13 PM

Post #5666847

In gardening this yard over the last 3 summers and all seasons in between, I've disturbed my share of frogs and toads and things. SO... last time I messed up a little nest of them, I promised them I'd make it up to them. I've made a little village for them in my herb garden, and I so hope they move in!

Thumbnail by brigidlily
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2008
9:28 PM

Post #5667365

How cute! Let me know how it works!
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2008
3:40 PM

Post #5670191

It may take them a while to trust it. There's a little dichondra growing around there, and I figure that will make a perfect little habitat for them.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2008
12:57 PM

Post #5677997

What a nice person you are...Who will be Mayor of this little village? Jo
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #5678421

She's running unopposed.

Thumbnail by brigidlily

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2008
4:08 PM

Post #5678744

She looks very capable! Jo
mawnature
Monroe, LA

October 25, 2008
12:10 PM

Post #5714271

I love the Toad Village! What a unique use for gourds!!
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 3, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #5747480

Thanks! I'll let y'all know how it stands up to Mother Nature. I didn't seal the gourds, tho maybe I should have at least put a coat of beeswax on them.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2009
9:20 PM

Post #5993456

Ohhhh! I just love it! Tooo cute! Could start a whole new community planning explosion. Even comes with its own Mayor.
Briggy... Ive got a Question! Its a little sideways to the topic, but .. How do you apply the beeswax? I have gourds waiting for their finishing coats but cant seem to figure out how to add beeswax.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 12, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #5996083

I haven't done it, but I would assume you melt the beeswax A LITTLE and rub it on like polish? Anybody?
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2009
2:34 AM

Post #5999018

We need Gourdbeader to tell us how..I know she "sculpts" the bees wax into shapes before beading them. Jo
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2009
2:43 AM

Post #5999062

With the beeswax, you could press onto the gourd. I suppose you could also melt it down, and "paint" it with the beeswax, just like you would with parafin wax.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6002494

I sent a Dmail to gourdbeader...here is her answer...Jo

Well, you just take a sheet of beeswax and tear it into several pieces and just keep applying them one a piece at a time. Be sure to press out all the combs as you go along. I might mention that as you are doing this it helps to use the back of a large spoon to remove the combs and keep, this will sound weird, but keep licking the back of the spoon so the wax doesn't stick to it. This way you will have your DNA in your work. If licking doesn't work for you then you can dip the spoon in some water instead but licking is easier.
Now if you are melting wax to apply it, then you need to apply single layers at a time with a paint brust. The brush will be toast afterwords but you can use it again next time with the melted wax.
I much prefer the sheets though. Alot less messy. You need to apply at least two layers of wax so that there is enough to hold the beads.
Let me know if you need more help.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2009
4:20 PM

Post #6004617

Nice to know the method. My thought was more of a sealant or polish, so I think the melted would be the answer. I don't believe I could do what gourdbeader does!!!
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2009
2:24 AM

Post #6006947

Neither could I!! Jo
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2009
4:39 AM

Post #6030804

Hey you guys. It is so much easier to apply the wax by sheets. I will try and show you how if you are interested.
If you just take a piece of beeswax sheet, tear it into smaller pieces so it is easier to handle, then start at he bottom or where ever you want and just start pushing the sheet onto the gourd. Smaller piece apply easier then a whole sheet. You just keep pushing it down and try to get most of the combs out. Once you get the first piece on you just keep overlapping the next piece and so on and so on. Once it is coverd and you go back and push out most of the combs, its not absolutely necessary but it helps when you go to apply the beads to have a flat surface, then you apply a second layer all over it again. You need at least two layers so the beads will set down in the wax. If you use the painted on wax method you will find that the wax is harder to apply the beads to. The sheets are softer and easier to work with.
As far as the sculpting goes, Whew, I begin by building up several layers of wax in the general shape of what I want to sculpt. I then start to carve away and push around the wax and add more to build up certain areas like I have done with the white buffalo below. I rolled pieces of wax to make the dreadlock shapes of his coat then just kept adding and subtracting what I neede to accomplish the finish product. I will try to make up a book of sorts to send out if anyone is interested. Let me know and I will give it a try.
See the pic below for a little info.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2009
4:47 AM

Post #6030824

If you look beyond the buffalo you can see where there is several layers of wax. I will show you another photo. The horns are made from Fimo clay.
Like I say if there is enough interest I will try and draft a make shift instruction book. Who knows maybe I could publish it. Heheh
In this photo you can see where I have built up several layers and then began the sculpting

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2009
4:51 AM

Post #6030833

Jan...I will be glad to READ your tutorial...but I didn't do very well in my cake decorating class tonight...so I don't think I will be good at this either...Jo
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2009
4:51 AM

Post #6030834

Here is a smaller one that I did for Christmas. I didn't cover the entire gourd on this one. I just formed up the Santa and kept adding layers and removing until I had what I wanted.
This was a Christmas present to a new friend so you are reading a sentimental gift as well.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader

Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2009
4:52 AM

Post #6030835

I don't think I would be a good cake decorator either. Not my bag. But I have seen your work and I am sure you can do it.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2009
4:52 AM

Post #6030836

What a lucky freind...I know I treasure mine you did. Jo/...again
helenchild
Decatur, GA

January 23, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #6039000

Your Christmas gourds look like confections... yum.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

February 8, 2009
9:02 PM

Post #6110988

Hello Gourders,
I found another use for one of my gourds. It is protecting my bird feeder. The old top, an old board was on its last leg.
I will try and get the picture on here.
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild

helenchild
Decatur, GA

February 8, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #6111007

Here is another shot...

Thumbnail by helenchild

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #6111078

Very clever!
Gourdbeader
Toledo, OR
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #6111187

Good Idea, especially in rainy climate areas like ours. However, I would have to put a good sealant on it so it would last. Very ingenious
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

February 9, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6112341

Great idea. Jo
helenchild
Decatur, GA

February 9, 2009
4:01 AM

Post #6113028

I used marine polyurethane, which is for interior/exterior. I guess it is made for boats. I put double coats inside and out! It should last a few years.
Regards, Helen
PS. I think it would look better with some leaves carved on to it. But I was in a rush...
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6114735

I didn't seal the ones I used in Toad Village and I'm wishing I had. But I don't want to disturb them now. They're as low as they can get, and I can't get over far enough to tell if they're inhabited!
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #6881113

Just an update on the Toad Village -- yes, they seem to LOVE living there! Yay! And yes, one DOES need to seal the gourds! I had to do some really serious weeding in that bed and picked one up, and the part that was in contact with the ground was pretty much just gone. So, I'm leaving it alone for the present since all the critters want is a roof anyway, but when I remodel this winter, I'll seal the gourds, either with wax or paint.

I've been AWOL, I know -- a new grandson (Isaac) born 9 weeks early has kept us hopping for quite a while. He was in Texas Children's Hospital for several weeks for his lungs, but now he is home and absolutely thriving, thank Heaven! I hope to get active on DG again, but it's still a little twitchy, if you know what I mean. Apparently no one can take care of things like Grandma can...
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2009
10:53 PM

Post #6881929

I agree...Grandma is the one too get things done!! Congratulations on the new baby!! Hugs Jo

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America