Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Harvesting Zinnia Seeds

Monroe, LA

Even though I've grown flowers for years, including Zinnias, I'm just starting to harvest Zinnia seeds, and I need a question answered.

Question: Besides the obvious seeds that pull loose attached to the ends of the dried petals (ray flowers), are there seeds in the center (disk flowers) as well? Here's a pic of each....L- Ray flower with seed, R- disk flower seeds?

Many thanks....

Thumbnail by mawnature
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Maw, The whole head is seeds. I think you picked it too green. You need to leave them until all is really brown. Hope this helps. BEV

Monroe, LA

Thanks, Bev....this clears up a question that I've pondered for a long time! I agree that I did pick it too soon. I have other blooms now, and I'm waiting for them to be ready to harvest. They are Zinnia Envy; wonder if the seeds are typically lighter because of the flower's color?

maw

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I wouldn't think so because your petals still have some life in them. I would think they would be a little darker cource I am no expert here. HUGS BEV

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I agree, harvested a little too soon. Watch for the top of the stem, just below the blossom, to start browning. That's a good sign that it's time, or clost to time, to harvest. I use this rule of thumb for many similar plants.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.