Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Talk: Harvesting Zinnia Seeds

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 4, Views: 99
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mawnature
Monroe, LA

October 14, 2008
2:29 PM

Post #5669966

Even though I've grown flowers for years, including Zinnias, I'm just starting to harvest Zinnia seeds, and I need a question answered.

Question: Besides the obvious seeds that pull loose attached to the ends of the dried petals (ray flowers), are there seeds in the center (disk flowers) as well? Here's a pic of each...L- Ray flower with seed, R- disk flower seeds?

Many thanks...

Thumbnail by mawnature
Click the image for an enlarged view.

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 16, 2008
8:41 PM

Post #5679938

Maw, The whole head is seeds. I think you picked it too green. You need to leave them until all is really brown. Hope this helps. BEV
mawnature
Monroe, LA

October 26, 2008
11:33 AM

Post #5717572

Thanks, Bev...this clears up a question that I've pondered for a long time! I agree that I did pick it too soon. I have other blooms now, and I'm waiting for them to be ready to harvest. They are Zinnia Envy; wonder if the seeds are typically lighter because of the flower's color?

maw

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 26, 2008
11:47 AM

Post #5717582

I wouldn't think so because your petals still have some life in them. I would think they would be a little darker cource I am no expert here. HUGS BEV
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2008
9:24 PM

Post #5730878

I agree, harvested a little too soon. Watch for the top of the stem, just below the blossom, to start browning. That's a good sign that it's time, or clost to time, to harvest. I use this rule of thumb for many similar plants.

Karen

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America