Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Gingers: Newbie to gingers but not gardening

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 6, Views: 86
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2008
8:10 PM

Post #5671121

and I need to know if gingers die back to the ground in the fall/winter. If they don't they are going to get a drastic haircut as they are really looking ratty. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Ann
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2008
11:43 PM

Post #5671996

My shampoo ginger died back last year but it came back up in the Spring and my white ginger which I do not know the name of stayed green through the winter so who knows.

James
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2008
5:37 PM

Post #5674821

Yeah, some of us have no clue. One DGer - can't remember who or what thread - said that one of the gingers she and I both have is one she called "Hidden Ginger" because the flower was hidden. That doesn't appeal to me because if they are going to have a pretty flower (and it was) I want to be able to see it. Otherwise, I see no reason to have gingers or any flower that is so hidden you can't enjoy it so the gingers may have to go in favor of something a little prettier. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Ann
TickiSox
Lowndesboro, AL
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2008
11:06 PM

Post #5680463

Ann I'm in zone 8a and almost exclusively grow hedychium gingers. They do die back to the ground here in the winter, I pull the dead canes right off the rhizome in the spring. Easy cleanup. I could cut them back in the fall but I'm a lazy gardner and I let mother nature do all the work for me.
plantladyhou
Katy, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 20, 2008
12:51 PM

Post #5693940

Thanks so much for the input!

Ann
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #5696707

Randy, Jungle of the Heights, brought several gingers to us last April. They have bloomed and more importantly the aroma is wonderful. Not especially a "pretty" bloom but who care?

LouC
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #5710057

Many of them go dormant but I don't know if they 'all' go dormant.
I wonder if there are any kinds that don't ever go dormant?
Also if dormancy is triggered by daylength or by temperature? I guess I need to do more homework lol.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America