Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Trash to Treasure: brown bagging , another method .

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 23, Views: 437
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 14, 2008
8:22 PM

Post #5671168

This worked for me and there is no priming over vinyl wallboard . If you'r in a mobile home , I would remove the strips of stuff that covers the wallboard and use spacklin to smooth the seams, and level out the uneven places . you need paper , a 21/2" paint brush , a piece of linoleum about two foot square ,a wallpaper seam roller , or a 3" putty knife , a gallon tub of border &vynyl to vinyl adhesive sold at hd , about 20.00 . rolls of brown craft paper from wal mart . Tear the entire roll of paper long ways from end to end . take the cut edges off outside of paper . twist each roll into long strips and get it as tight as you can . Dh is good to help with this . coil the strips up until you are ready to start tearing them .open them up and tear into pieces about 8" or 10" long as you open them , and stack up into two or three stacks according to size .you should try to keep pieces ragged and random shapes , so it will be like a jigsaw puzzle . now the fun starts , lay the linoleum out ,shinny side up and with paint brush , simply paint a layer of adhesive on ALL the way to edges using the linoleum to protect your work surface ,it can be cleaned up later to use over and over .place paper on wall and don't worry about getting paste on outside , it will dry and helps blotch the paper . Smooth with fingers getting good contact and pushing bubbles and excess paste out. I sometimes scrooch the paper up to put more wrinkles in it , then use the putty knife or seam roller to seat the wrinkles down good .If you have a small bit of wall showing through , then paste a small piece over it . I found it was easier to go around the outside first , then fill in .If you turn an inside corner , extend the paper to other wall and use putty knife to push into corner. thats all there is to it . If you want to paint , then choose your colors and DRY brush a sample piece to make sure its what you want . Don't choose a brown that will show a purple tint . DRY brush your walls with the colors you choose , and wait til it drys between colors . leave plenty of unpainted paper and seal with Water based polyurathane. I used doeskin color that i had matched to a real piece of skin , a dark green and brown on top , but you can use any rubber based paint you like . I used latex enamel ,Glidden from H D .sally

Thumbnail by digger9083
Click the image for an enlarged view.

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 14, 2008
8:30 PM

Post #5671202

that dust isn't normal . my dgd vacumed and broke the dust bag . I didn't know until the picture was posted . ugh! it took an hour to clean up . thank goodness the door was closed to puter room . see her little finger prints? she was going to surprise grandma . She did! lol sally
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2008
8:52 PM

Post #5671275

LOL Arn't GD great ...
I love your directions sweet and simple ... We are in a mobile home while we are building our home ...I really hate the wall paper in it. this will be great ..
Do you think it will work on the floor?
Cheryl
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 15, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #5672285

I don't honestly know because I've not tried it on floors . wuvie has ,I think and she could tell you about that . It seems to me that if it's sealed with water based polyuathane , that it would hold up . You might try it in a small area such as an entry area in living room , if you have the cutout at the front door . if you do try it , I'd definently put three coats of sealer on it , letting it dry completely between coats . Ask wuvie and ask on HGTV .thats where I got my idea to go with this ,seven years ago . I had already put it in a bathroom in my old trailer and it held up and still is ,to the moisture, after ten years . Be sure and let me know what you do . aA lot of people would like to try it , but are afraid they may be getting in over thier heads . It is so easy and simple , if someone does goof up ,or not like it ,they can remove it and wallpaper with burlap . I did that one time and loved it . if you want hints on that , let me know , it's easy . sally
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2008
11:57 AM

Post #5673659

My concern with the brown paper walls is getting it off. Before the Katrina flood in New Orleans, I had beautiful brown paper walls in my study. After soaking flood water for over a week, the paper was still stuck to the walls!

If you want to redecorate 10 years from now, how will you get it off?
Jo-Ann
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 15, 2008
12:15 PM

Post #5673708

I removed some in a small area behind the stove with that tool you roll over the paper that has little spikes in it that penetrates the paper .Then you spray the paper to let the water penetrate and get under the paper . there is a paint scraper that lifts the paper off , or you can use a single edge razor blade in a holder to get under and lift . The adhesive i use will get soft with water , just break the polyurathane seal so the water can get under and soften it up . when you get the paper off, it's easy to remove the residue of the adhesive. I used a course steel wool to wipe it gently with water . sally
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 26, 2010
10:04 AM

Post #7998049

I've got to learn how to make links so I can give directions for this . For now I'll just have to bump to keep from typing it all again
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2010
11:00 PM

Post #7999351

Once you Urethane it, it does not remove. I put all kind of art on the walls with my X and he was so mad that he could not remove any of it with many methods, including sanding it off. He painted over it all. I like the colors in there it adds a fun whimsey to it and an elegance.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 27, 2010
6:00 AM

Post #7999597

If you have vinyl coated wallboard , and use Golden Harvest GH-50 Border & Vinyl to Vinyl adhesive , it is water based paste that can be removed easily . The tools with teeth that you rotate around , breaking the poly covering allowing the spray water to soak through to the paste will wet the paste to the point that you can peel it right off . I used it to cover a wall that wasn't vinyl coated and it was a simple process .
I don't know what adhesive was used on yours , but haven't had any problem with mine and the urethane just seals it to make it easy to wash .It's been on the walls about eight years now and still looks new .
Can you show a picture , sounds like the kind of whimsy I like .
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2010
8:01 AM

Post #7999860

finely got my suppiles (or so I thought) was reading on the can and darned if I didnt pick up the wrong urethane its not water based.. but oil based has anyone used the oil based .. or do I just need to take it back?
I know cleanup will be a pain will have to get mineral spirts ir paint thiner :(
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 27, 2010
8:49 AM

Post #7999965

Please , take it back .Any thing you might paint over it won't stick unless you go to oil based paint. The water based is about as tough as it gets .Also , on any brushes you use , oil or otherwise , can be wrapped up tight in Saran wrap and stored in the fridge or freezer for a few days . I dip the waterbased in water , oil in paint thinner first , before wrapping . Saves a lot of extra cleanup .
Can'wait to see it .
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2010
1:31 PM

Post #8000497

Thanks Digger
I already have it sitting by the door :) next trip to town ..
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 27, 2010
10:31 PM

Post #8001445

I wish I did have pictures but I would have to find one and scan it, which would take a while. I think I may have one or two somewhere, but what I did was take old calendar pictures of cottage/patios and garden and garden rooms, from Erin Dertmer, who is one of my favorite artists. I painted a sort of periwinkle blue border and decopage pasted them to the middle of the painted frames, so it was like one running border, over my kitchen tile and across the back of the stove and Verithaned it. I loved it so much, I did different calendar pictures at my next house. I did not do it here though.
Maybe it was the decopage glue that made it not release then. I always thought it was the Verithane.

My next wall project is going to be an old French technique, where you apply straw to plaster troweled on walls. I love the old Thatch sort of look to it.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 28, 2010
3:22 AM

Post #8001569

I have to know more about that .
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #8002486

hellnzn you will have to get pictures of that ... :)
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 28, 2010
6:55 PM

Post #8003383

Of the straw walls?

Look up straw and plaster wall technique and stuff will pop up. I saw a house on HGTV with it one time and it looked so cool, I always wanted to know more. I never looked it up till recently, because I was not sure if I remembered what they said to do. I saw on the internet, it was as I had remembered. You put a little plaster on with a trowel (maybe Spackle would be easier and take some straw and press it in the plaster. I believe it was all white, but I don't know really if they painted after or pushed it in a thicker mix, where it buried itself. The house had exposed beams and they said it was so easy and they loved the look against the rough rafters that the whole family joined in to do it all over the house.
denimangle
Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2010
1:53 PM

Post #8004973

I must not be holding my mouth right all I come up with is how to build a house with baled straw
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2010
10:57 PM

Post #8005925

I want to do that too.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 29, 2010
11:01 PM

Post #8005928

This is what it says about the wall and straw.
Straw Thrown Plaster-is very popular in French Country walls. All you do is trowel on wet plaster to your walls and literally throw a hand full of straw onto the wet plaster. Lightly tamper the straw so that it embeds into the plaster with a clean trowel. Once it's dried apply either one or two coats of an aged yellow tinted glaze to age and seal the wall at the same time.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 30, 2010
4:50 AM

Post #8006090

I think I'd want to try that on a test wall first . Bet it is beautiful .
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2010
5:49 AM

Post #8006156

I liked it. It looked so custom and yet had a warmth that an old farm house cottage in England would have. The straw was very subtle.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

July 30, 2010
7:46 AM

Post #8006402

I'll be putting it on a bedroom in Tex this winter . That should hide any little defects from the former owner without too much work . I'll be posting pic then
nanaka
Webster, WI

July 30, 2010
7:55 AM

Post #8006416

I want to try this too! I've seen pics of it and it and it has that cozy old farm look to it like hellnzn said.
hellnzn11
Rosamond, CA
(Zone 8b)

July 30, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #8007491

I bet it is messy though unless you put a good lot of drop cloths down on everything. I can't wait to see everyone's rooms.
The HGTV room did not have the gold tint though, I am sure because the walls were white if I recalled.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America