-
AuthorContent
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 15, 2008
8:29 AM

Post #5673357

As always I am impressed with the exhaustive detail of your article. Thank you. I learned a lot.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2008
12:54 PM

Post #5673813

thanks from me also. FANTASTIC ARTICLE. I love your comment about "not looking at them much". That is exactly what I do and the grow beautifully. Mine are all potted, I would like to incorporate in the landscape but I'm afraid to plant in the wrong place. Your article provides good guidelines.
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 15, 2008
6:23 PM

Post #5674958

Thank you for such a fascinating article. I was always "scared" of bromeliads, but this year I planted 3 in the garden, and so far they've been doing good. Don't ask me to id them though, I still have a hard time telling them apart! I need to print this article and id my plants!
KiminPL
San Diego, CA

October 20, 2008
2:45 PM

Post #5694399

Well organized and thoroughly illustrated article, enjoyed it, thanks. I think of my hundreds of bromeliads as 'garden bling', the jewels for decorating the slow-growing palms. I would love to get a closer look at that Thai garden!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2008
3:15 PM

Post #5694552

I have to share this story w/ you. About 2 years ago, I went to my county extension's greenhouse, just to look around, and found a bunch of bromeliads. The owner had borrowed the space to grow his offsets but hadn't been there for a while because he was caring for his sick wife. I called him to ask whether he would consider selling any of his plants and he wouldn't hear of it. He gracefully gave me 3-4 plants. Naturally, I was ecstatic.

Roll forward two years and I find out the kind gentleman had lost his wife. I was so very sad for him. Roll forward a few more months and who comes to visit my house but the kind gentleman with some of my garden buddies. Somebody told me who he was, so I go to him, give him the biggest bear hug I can and tell me it was me who called him and asked about the broms. Then I held his hand and showed him all my plants, which by the way are doing just beautifully. I'm not sure, but I think I detected a glint of satisfaction in his eyes. I will not forget Paul, ever.

Kim, I agree with you that they're garden bling, lol
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 21, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #5696932

Nery, what a wonderful story. I think besides the love of nature, of course, what draws me to gardening is that gardeners are so generous. I think it comes from the sense of peace we all share when we are with our hands in the dirt!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Introduction to Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Excellant Tropicman 0 Oct 15, 2008 5:31 PM
Great article - indoor growing Nan 0 Oct 15, 2008 9:22 PM
Great phicks 0 Oct 16, 2008 12:06 AM
Terrific AlohaHoya 0 Oct 16, 2008 12:36 AM
a correction Ursula 2 Oct 21, 2008 12:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America