Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds: Neat guide there!

Communities > Forums > Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds
bookmark
Forum: Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seedsReplies: 15, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2008
12:27 PM

Post #5677896

Well done Jill. Nicely compiled.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2008
12:38 PM

Post #5677932

Thanks, Dinu! I know it's not an exhaustive list of species and photos, but hopefully it'll encourage everybody to just start looking. If you're used to paying for just a few seeds in a packet, it can be a wonderful surprise to see how generous the plants in your own garden can be. :-)

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2008
1:51 PM

Post #5678204

Quite true. What one needs is some basic information of 'do-how' and a generally alert gardener will learn new things on his own. For such little efforts one takes, but generous ones, the results will show in incredible places of the world! That gives joy to the seed-harvestor!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2008
2:11 PM

Post #5678275

Yes! And it's fun to realize you have "treasures" in your garden that are so easy to share with other people. A lot of the seeds I collect are for sharing/trading. :-)

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2008
2:33 PM

Post #5678351

And such pleasure cannot be described in words! You know it better. In most recent times, I've cut down drastically on trading seeds due to the fact that many did not germinate in our tropical climate what with my carelessness also - more due to the lack of time to spend out there because of my routine. I realized how much care is taken to collect, pack, sort, dispatch them. So I decided not to ask for seeds. I cannot send that many of them because there are hardly a few 'tradeable ones'. Let me see how I do in the new garden I'm going to develop [hope you know my family story through another thread]. The new area will be smaller. I used to send many numbers of the few varieties I collected for trades and it gave such joy to me.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2008
2:45 PM

Post #5678394

Be sure to post on the seed trading forum when you know what kinds of seeds you'll want for your new garden! I need to get out and collect some fresh seeds from my 'Happy Faces' Torenia -- in my zone, it dies when the cold weather arrives, but it's perennial in warmer zones. I think of it as a special plant because the seeds are costly here (they are tiny and sold in pelleted form), but I recently offered it to somebody in another country, and he said thanks but it grew like a weed all over his yard. LOL!

Thumbnail by critterologist
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #5678476

Very nice picture. Yes it so happens that some of the lovely ones turn out to be weedy! I had experienced it for a vine and it still is - but I've now moved out of that half of the premise. I got it from trade, enjoyed when it bloomed. Later when there were hundreds, next season, I saw tens of volunteers. It was a tough time removing them all. In the meanwhile, I noticed in our city that it was growing all over in the wild areas! Perhaps it came from the same climate zone.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #5678591

Whether or not a given plant is "invasive" certainly does depend on location! I'm not sure Torenia was really a problem plant for him, but he said it was an easy to grow groundcover, and he had plenty. I'll save a packet for you if you're interested!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2008
3:51 PM

Post #5678653

Not if it gets invasive! LOL. Also, it is not the time to start. I'll have to shape up my garden and there is a lot of work to do still. I don't know how much space I'll get after arrangement. Presently, I've removed my plants from that 'gone half' and kept in temporary beds. I'm already late by a month on replanting them. Busy with home renovation, as you might have followed in threads. I'm waiting for some labour workers to arrange all the stone slabs for pavement.

Yea, the sender will send them with no ill intentions. It so happens that sometimes it becomes a bane when the seeds find their most suitable conditions!

Okay, if they are blues, do save a packet for me. I'd not mind blue all over!!

Blue-lover Dinu
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #5678691

I will do my best to save some according to color rather than just a mix. They do seem to come true to color, although they are such very very tiny seeds that I always seem to end up with just a few wrong-color ones in the row. That's probably because I start them in separate rows but not separate containers.

They seem easy to pull up, and their little seeds just drop (not carried around by the wind or made to stick to pets, etc.), so I think they might be an "easy grower" for you rather than trying to take over the whole garden. The person who said he had plenty seemed to like them... he said they grew like a weed meaning (I think) that they were easy to grow, not that he had to keep pulling them up from places they weren't wanted.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2008
4:05 PM

Post #5678722

Thanks. In the meanwhile I just saw on PF the details of the plant and saw none reported 'negative'! Blue, purple pink mix too will be fine if that is not a problem for you. I know how much trouble it is collecting precisely, such tiny ones.

Another intention of my getting laid that stone pavement is because of avoiding weeds. I've done enough of this back breaking weed pulling routines over 25 years now and I've to slow down and focus on fewer things in gardening!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2008
4:25 PM

Post #5678795

I have been considering using flame to control weeds on walkways and between pavers here. You can buy a torch than connects to a propane cylinder for this purpose. Putting gravel and maybe a barrier material (landscape fabric, or I've even seen people suggest using old carpet for this purpose) under your stones will also help.

Will creeping thyme grow in your area, or is it too hot/humid for it there? I've got different varieties established around the edge of my patio, and I love the scent and the look of it.
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 16, 2008
9:28 PM

Post #5680102

Very handy!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #5680109

Thanks! :-)

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

October 17, 2008
3:57 AM

Post #5681725

Hyya Critter!

What a wonderful article.

...LOL, took a while for me to catch on to seed collecting, still does. Now. I will know some better ideas of how to go looking.
unfortunatley my method is wait till Spring and then shake.

A very good article, that I will remember for next season.

Thanks, great photos too!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2008
4:10 AM

Post #5681760

"wait till Spring and shake"

LOL

Shake those plants down now! They'll have more seeds to give you. By spring, most of the seeds have probably already been scattered, not that there's anything wrong with letting Nature do her own winter sowing. :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you. LouC 1 Oct 16, 2008 2:40 PM
Good phicks 1 Oct 16, 2008 3:55 PM
Great for the beginers! adinamiti 4 Oct 16, 2008 6:28 PM
Thanks Sundownr 1 Oct 17, 2008 2:00 PM
seeds Barbell 1 Oct 20, 2008 7:17 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America