Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds: Great for the beginers!

Communities > Forums > Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds
bookmark
Forum: Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seedsReplies: 4, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 16, 2008
5:08 PM

Post #5678971

I would have never thought some may need to be taught about the seeds, but after reading your article I realised what a good teacher you'd be! Congratulations!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2008
5:17 PM

Post #5679024

Thanks, Adina. I've met some pretty experienced gardeners who have never collected their own seeds. It's fun to see their expressions when they crumble up a basil stem to release the seeds and realize that what they have in their hand looks just like what they've been planting out of seed packets for years.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 16, 2008
5:25 PM

Post #5679053

Critter -- great article.

one lil thing i started doing this year, for those tiny seeds
Wheatstraw Celosia, Agastache, and others with spiky flowers ... I put a glass jar over the top of it... tilt it towards the ground, and shake the seeds into the jar.

that has been working well for me this year... or even pop seed heads [cone flower, Black Eyed Susan, Poppies] into a coffee can or something similar, and just shake the seeds out.

As for the basil... this was my first year collecting form them, as was Fennel ... very cool to find the seeds.

It seems every year we all learn something new, or new way of doing things.

Thanks for all your wonderful articles.

Terese
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

October 16, 2008
5:31 PM

Post #5679080

That's a great idea! I did something similar yesterday with my still-blooming Verbena bonariensis, bending the bloom stalks over and giving them a shake into a plastic bag. A jar would have worked better, and it would probably have been easier to reach into a jar to help the little crab spiders escape (a few were shaken in with the seeds because I didn't see them hiding down in the flowers).

Oh, fennel! I knew there was a plant out there I'd forgotten to shake down for seeds this fall... :-)

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 16, 2008
6:28 PM

Post #5679305

That's funny , though right! It's so great to start some plant out of its own seed!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Neat guide there! Dinu 15 Oct 17, 2008 4:10 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you. LouC 1 Oct 16, 2008 2:40 PM
Good phicks 1 Oct 16, 2008 3:55 PM
Thanks Sundownr 1 Oct 17, 2008 2:00 PM
seeds Barbell 1 Oct 20, 2008 7:17 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America