Our annual end-of-summer contest is here, come on down to the Dave's Garden County Fair!

A Better Chicken Feeder and Waterer

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

Here is my method for keeping water and food clean (like that is truely possible with chickens, but on a relative scale, very clean indeed.) and from being scattered and stomped into the ground.
It consists of a shell, bottle and support ring. Very simple really.
For details you can see it all here; http://toolmakingart.com/2008/06/10/chicken-feeders/ with an update to it here http://toolmakingart.com/2008/10/07/chicken-feeders-more-details/

For the support ring, I like a 3″ PVC pipe section. The bottom of the feet should be from 1/2 an inch to 1″ wide.

Thumbnail by throneofyord
Lodi, United States

I am definitely looking hard at that!

I guess I put the chicken before the egg or some such, here is the finished product, sort of.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

gonna show my hubby

Here is a close up of the feeder

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow... That is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing that!!!!!!! Fantastic idea.. Yeah!!!!

Back to the support ring.

You are so welcome!

Another of the support ring.

This message was edited Oct 17, 2008 9:45 AM

Final on the support ring.

The bucket holes should be high enough to prevent grain spillage. My holes here are 2 1/8″ in diameter, and centered 5″ above the base.

Here is a top view of the feeders.

Here is the water in use

Clarksburg, MO

Awesome Idea! I thought up a feeder option that uses a five gallon bucket with holes drilled in it on the sides to let the feed out and then I attach a larger hogpan (metal pan with sides about 2 inches tall) with screws to the bottom of the bucket. The lid keeps them from pooing in the feed ans the 2 inch tall side on the hogpan keeps them from spilling to much.

Sheila

P.S. they can be made for about $4 with free icing buckets from Wal-mart bakeries.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I love this! Great idea! I'm going to see if we can make some!

Here is how you set them up.
You put the support ring on the bottle

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Sheila's food buckets are great - I bought one from her and my chickens love it! I want to use it inside the coop because we just had rain and then it got a bit full of water. I needed an umbrella over it! I love its easy portability and cleanability.

then you put the bucket on that.

Then you flip it over.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh, I know somebody in College Station!

The advantages
Visible food and water levels
Good volumes and food and water can be stored in jugs ready to use.
Reasonable cost
Relatively clean and easily portable.
Reliable ( I still always keep 2 water sources at all times available in case one fails.)

I keep the food inside the coop normally so that rain does not wet the food. Chickens will of course get on the bucket and poop, so some mess is inevitable unless you cover the top. The amount of mess however is fractional compared to any other feeder I have seen.

Sheila, you hog pan feeder sounds very good to me. Much more convenient to refill, and with good volume. They will of course still poop in the hog pan, but chickens are chickens. Have you considered using a Gamma Seal for the bucket, it makes lid removal and replacement easy? https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emergency_supplies/gamma_seal_lid.htm The gamma seal will have more contours to hold poop in, but they do make sealing buckets easy.

Bob

Clarkson, KY

Wow. That is just too perfect. Thanks a million and a half!!

You are all quite welcome!

The water and food ring used to be made differently, but now I use the same.

A few special hints, when setting up a water bottle for the first time, I find an algae that I like that is easy to clean out and grows a bit slower. If you establish it first, it will keep you from getting worse algae. You can always bleach the bottle, bucket and ring regularly, but some algae is really nasty and hard to get rid of.

To much slit in the bucket makes for a weak bucket, I find that six slits works well. I use a measuring tape, the kind used for sewing, to measure around the bucket, divide by 6 and then mark six points around the bucket to make it even. I am pretty sure however that chickens don't really care if the holes are centered perfectly.

Chickens are amazing that way,

The see color better than we do, much higher density of cones, 4 cones instead of three.
They see luminance differences that we cannot detect at all, an extra double cone structure in the eyes for that.
They have a muscle set inside the eye to control focus and depth of field, so they have built in zoom lenses.
They see movement that is too slow for us to see, they see movements that are too fast for us to see.
They see further in the spectrum, and with greater resolution.
They see shades of yellow that we cannot distinguish from each other. In every way that I know their eyesight is much better than ours.

All that and their art appreciation is non existent. Sad to see so much and perceive so little. such is life.

Bob

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I like that very much! I'll have to think about that for next year.

Clarkson, KY

Gah!! Your poetic perceptions pleeease me no end!!

Lodi, United States

A stream of elegantly phrased facts.......I love facts!

I think I'm in love......

Clarkson, KY

It was a luscious list...lol

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Delicious, even!

Clarkson, KY

Delectable and delirious, no wait...

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Delectable is your brother. Delirious is you.

ROTFL..... :-)

Clarkson, KY

Trumped! I can take it...

Clarkson, KY

Oneupmanship at its finest..."NO, I'm Deleterious!!"

edited to add [nose is seriously up in the air over this new word, almost 5' which is pretty good for someone 5'1"]

This message was edited Oct 17, 2008 4:59 PM

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

ooooooooooooooooohhhh....excellent riposte!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.