Photo by Melody

Article: Native Asters in South Western New York (and the rest of the northeast): Preparing Asters for the winter

Communities > Forums > Article: Native Asters in South Western New York (and the rest of the northeast)
bookmark
Forum: Article: Native Asters in South Western New York (and the rest of the northeast)Replies: 1, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
leeson31
New City, NY

October 17, 2008
7:10 PM

Post #5684088

My asters are done blooming. Should I cut them back to the ground and mulch for the winter or leave them as is and cut them back in the spring. Also, when is the best time to transplant them.
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #5685051

I do nothing to my asters. The winters here take them down eventually, and while they are up they serve as markers so my DH doesn't run the snow blower over the bed (it's a very large snow blower on the back of a 4 wheel drive 80 horse power tractor - not one you want running over perennial borders).

As soon as they go dormant, cutting them back would be fine, but I wouldn't worry about mulching them, although if you want to, it wouldn't hurt them. They are almost excessively hardy plants.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Native Asters in South Western New York (and the rest of the northeast) Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice phicks 1 Oct 18, 2008 12:09 AM
Asters joodles 3 Oct 24, 2014 12:35 PM
Late reader candyinpok 1 Nov 2, 2008 7:29 PM
Ours are here! KyWoods 7 Sep 21, 2012 4:41 AM
Asters in southeastern NY akhdubon 1 Sep 28, 2010 3:59 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America