Please, show us your favorite underplantings for roses =)

Baton Rouge, LA

I'm sooo inspired by all the lovely pictures I see from the Cali gals of their mixed plantings. I love the look of plants intertwining. The only snafu is that here in humid Louisiana, we've got to keep the airflow going pretty freely around our roses or we'd have nothing but a pile of fungus and blackspot! The trick is to find a happy medium between what I want (Cali!) and simply rows of rose bushes. How do all of you keep your gardens interesting in other regions? Do you have a favorite underplanting that works well for you? Please share! =)

(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

ive been putting daylilies around my roses to hide the naked legs of the ht . no pics though , i also just put a bunch of tulips and daffodils under my big ones . i also have asiatic lilies under 2 of them , oh and louisiana iris and siberians under my climbers

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

Bliss, I keep space around my roses for the reasons you pointed and also because I want clear view in case there are snakes slithering around. It's not a problem for me but I'm obsessed scared of them, no matter how harmless. I do make exceptions and I have lilies growing thru some roses and I grow tropicals with roses. This is a dangerous combo as you run the risk of overwatering your roses to keep tropicals happy, but so far I've managed to create a balance.

I also grow some clusters of daffs and amaryllises but that's near roses, not really as underplanting. Finally, I intend to grow some salvias as filler, but I haven't gotten around to that project yet

Richmond is SW of Houston, and very humid.. You and I likely share similar weather conditions.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

I forgot I grow Euphorbia Diamond Frost w/ my FloraDora. I love it

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/208915/

Baton Rouge, LA

Vossner, if you're by Houston, then we have identical weather. My best friend lives in Baytown, basically a suburb of Houston, and whatever weather she has one day, we typically have it the next day. With the exception of tropical storms and hurricanes blowing in from the Gulf, calling Aileen to see how her weather looks is a more reliable weather forecast than the local meteorologists! We're on the same Gulf stream. Unfortunately, that's how we get Houston's pollution too... it travels to us after any chemical mishaps.

Ev

Baton Rouge, LA

Ohhhh, I love that combination too! Must have... must have! =)

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Ev, my main rose garden is laid out in a formal setting with informal plantings. To achieve the softness I wanted to all edges I planted Tunica. The plant grows to around 5" tall, maybe less, then foams out in all directions making soft mounds. Soft pink blooms start around the first of June and continue until fall. The blooms are similar to baby's breath so they do not steal the show from the roses. I read somewhere recently the plant has been renamed, but I do not remember the new name. A google search of Tunica should bring it up. The attached photo was taken today of a section I planted this spring. Next year it will foam its way well into the rose bed and I will trim away excessive growth on the blue stone.

Tussee

Thumbnail by tusseemussee
Baton Rouge, LA

What a pretty effect! I'll have to see if it's rated for our zone. I've always loved Sweet Alyssum, but it dies out in our heat by the end of May. Hopefully, Tunica is a bit hardier! Thanks for the suggestion.

Ev =)

Woodstock Valley, CT(Zone 5b)

BG:

Along my garage, I have a Julia Child, Harlekin and Louis Clements spaced out along about 20' of wall. I have them underplanted with Nepeta 'Walkers Low', Munstead Lavender, 'Brookside' cranesbill, and 'Butterfly Blue' scabiosa. I wanted all blueish tones to offset the roses. Of course the "underplantings" were taller than my first year roses...but once the roses get to full size, should look great.

This is from July...you can't even see the roses...and my SO stuck some tomatos in the clematis cages we built...but you get the idea ;-)

Miles

Thumbnail by milesf1
Baton Rouge, LA

Miles, thanks for sharing! I think perhaps the lavender won't survive, but the shorter blue salvias would give me a similar look and they do fine here. I'll have to look the others up to see which ones can make it here. =)

Woodstock Valley, CT(Zone 5b)

I put some dwarf blue veronica around my crysal fairy...not sure if you can do those in your area. They are pretty new so I don't have photos in bloom..

Newport Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

my absolute favorite plant for underneath the roses is cranesbill.....just winds its way around the bottom, and easy to clip back when you want to---plus it is happy just about anywhere. Love the blue-purple flowers, too. Another thing I use if you want something that can be more like a very low hedge is false heather. It has a teeny pink or white flower. You can just "haircut" it to the height you want---basically, it spreads sideways when you do that. Everygreen (here in southern CA) Hope this helps.

Baton Rouge, LA

Thanks, cyclist! I'll look those up to see if they'll grow here. =)

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

I grow Dianthus which is a perennial and an evergreen all over the zones,
under my roses. they spread to clumping and provide complete
weed protection and non competing underplants and I don't have to
clip them either.
The best is Ipswich Pinks.

Thumbnail by WigglyPaw
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have a real mix of perennials, annuals and shrubs. Front yard

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Front yard

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

other side in front

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

All containers

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Back yard

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Better pic

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Another backyard bed

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Very, very nice, Joanna. That's just the kind of garden I love.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks Zuzu. I really like to mix everything. Lots of bulbs too.

Here another flower bed in the backyard in front of the garage

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here's my veggie garden with roses in there too

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

One of my John Cabot Climber

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My one bed with no roses, not enough sun or room. Maybe I will put some minis next year.

Baton Rouge, LA

Thanks for sharing all the pics, everyone! You've given me some inspiration for the underplantings. Our new puppy has shown such an exuberance for digging in the flower beds... she was out there helping me in the garden this morning. I'd plant something, she'd sniff it, test it with her tongue or teeth, decide it would look better on the other side of the garden, and move it for me. Soooo helpful! So yep, the invisible fence installation started this afternoon! With our Shelties, it only took a day for them to respect the flower bed boundaries with the fence and then we didn't need the collars anymore. I hope our Aussie is as quick a learner, but I suspect her enthusiasm will overwhelm her too much to ever truly stop digging. I'm leaving a couple of areas free so that she can still have fun without ruining the entire yard!

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Just super, Joanna. I like the whole package -- the house, the plants, the garden art, the fence.... Even the pile of rocks near the garage looks artful. A truly lovely and romantic garden.

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh Joanna, you have such a great garden. Imagine all that work in zone 3. How long is your growing season? You love color as I do. Just so pretty. I had to laugh at your potted garden. I have one too! My whole courtyard is all potted plants. A different kind of gardening for sure.

On your picture http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5998505
you have a pink lavatera in the center. It is one I grew a few years back and loved it. I have been looking for it since. I want to grow it again. Do you recall the name? I think it is easy from seed and want to find some online. Thanks

Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

VOSSNER, you sent a link to the Euphorbia Diamond Frost with your flori's. Is that the airy little plant with the white blossoms? What an awesome effect!!! My 120+ foot bed with various roses is barren of anything but rose bushes. Weeds are a problem, especially the bermuda grass moving under the concrete border, which of course is a different problem entirely. The effect is very formal and not so much to my liking today as when first planted.

I would like to try such an underplanting in my beds. Hmmm, remember that our temps can be quite hot during summer. And 100 feet of that bed is in total sun, except for what shade the rose bush would provide, the entire day, as it runs East/West.

I have, BTW, planted Sweet Alyssum in the past and while it struggled during our hot summers, it survived. It did not, however, survive the winter as a rule.

MILESF1!! You have roses in that bed {GASP}!! {Laughing}

Linda and The MopTops

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Kell,

The lavatera is Silver cup. Very easy, direct sowing or wintersowing (a great way to start all kinds of stuff). The white lavatera in the same picture is Mont Blanc. I also start all the petunias from seed.

Our typical last spring frost is May 23. Every year is a little different, but I usually start uncovering my roses in the beginning of April. Last year it was May though. Usually we get a killing frost by Mid September. This year we had a very warm, long fall, so it was the daylight hours that affected the fall blooms. By mid Oct we have less than 10-1/2 hours of daylight. Nov is 8-1/2 hours, so a little difficult to keep the flowers even if the temps are mild.

I added window boxes on every window of the house in late fall. I'm really excited for next spring to plant up now.

This message was edited Jan 13, 2009 7:17 AM

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

joanna, your property is beautiful and cheerful.

twincol, I don't know if Fresno is warmer than Houston area, but the plants in that pic are in full brutal sun. I think the euphorbia likes that.

Evie, your comments about your dog remind me of my little pooch. When we first got him and I would be digging in the garden, he would watch me with those intense, loving eyes and proceed to dig. I always wondered if his little brain told him if it was OK for momma to dig, then it was OK for him to dig! lol

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

joanna, in pic titled back yard, is that crazy daisy? I love that plant. I don't think that particular one is hardy to my zone, only Miss Becky and Alaska.

I see you have acidanthera, can't remember its new name, but anyway, yours blooms in summer, mine blooms in Dec. Isn't that nutty? Frag. is delish.

(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

i love acidanthera . infact im gonna put a bunch more this year . its also called Abyssinian gladioli or peacock flower

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

vossner,

Yes, it is a perennial crazy daisy. It's a bit iffy for winter hardiness here, so I would think it would be fine in your area.
I started the acidanthera in May, nothing blooms here in the winter, unless it is indoors.

Here's my little helper. Digs a little and likes to eat carrots & peas. His name is Todd and he's been part of our family for 6 years.

Baton Rouge, LA

Joanna, he reminds me of Todd from Disney's "The Fox and the Hound"!!! So cute!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here my other helper, who thinks the one flower bed is special for him, since he enjoys smelling the catmint. Smokey has been with us for 10 years.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes, that's how he got his name. He loves posing for pictures

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

hey! those are the adoring eyes I was talking about, lol

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

Window boxes will look so great Joanna. I noticed your pots on your fence. A very nice touch, to bright and cheery. I bought some of those pot holders but have not used them yet. I love the look.

I have to go back and notice more plants and figure out which ones Nery was referring to.

Thanks for the name. I didn't even notice you had the white one too. I want to get seeds and put them here and there. They flower so much, I love them!

What a great little family you have there. You need all the garden helpers you can get. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images