Photo by Melody

Home Decorating: 9 ft. decorative curtain rod WITHOUT center support bracket?

Communities > Forums > Home Decorating
bookmark
Forum: Home DecoratingReplies: 4, Views: 220
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
denisemb
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2008
2:43 AM

Post #5689004

We have a 9 ft wide, 8 ft high triple slider doorwall, presently covered with one-way draw vertical blinds.

On impulse, I bought some PERFECT rod pocket drape panels on sale, thinking to use a decorative rod & rings. Then I discovered most rods over 60" or so need center support brackets to avoid sagging. That blows my idea of being able to slide them by hand one way with a fling rod (like you see in some hotels).

Wondering if anyone has experienced a similar problem & their solution - before I resort to my sewing machine, pleater tape and a traverse rod...LOL

Thanks in advance for any help!

anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2008
3:47 AM

Post #5689337

Try it w/ a single piece of metal pipe.That's what I did w/ the same problem. Brass or copper more $ but works too. I don't know if you could find a wooden dowel that long. Unless you secured 2 pieces of long dowel together w/ brackets the panels could slide over. Or what is it called when you drill a hole in either end of ea dowel and put a little wooden rod in them and push together forming 1 long dowel?
denisemb
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #5690217

Thanks, anastatia - I think I'll try your suggestion on using pipe. I was worried about sag, but heck - if it doesn't work I'm just out the price of pipe and rings!

Thanks again.

anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2008
2:13 PM

Post #5690304

Sag was my issue too. One thing you can do is put the center support bracket to the left of center where the fabric/curtain is gathered when pushed back/open. Maybe 2 panels on one side of the support bracket and 2 on the other so you can pull fabric to the end for privacy. I think I had to cut a hole in one of the panels because the bracket showed between panels.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2008
12:03 AM

Post #5705646

That is an excellent suggestion! I have a large window, and my other rod broke from sagging. I'll give that a try! Thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 164 Nov 19, 2014 12:23 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 42 Aug 16, 2014 11:12 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America