Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Home Decorating: 9 ft. decorative curtain rod WITHOUT center support bracket?

Communities > Forums > Home Decorating
bookmark
Forum: Home DecoratingReplies: 4, Views: 220
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
denisemb
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2008
2:43 AM

Post #5689004

We have a 9 ft wide, 8 ft high triple slider doorwall, presently covered with one-way draw vertical blinds.

On impulse, I bought some PERFECT rod pocket drape panels on sale, thinking to use a decorative rod & rings. Then I discovered most rods over 60" or so need center support brackets to avoid sagging. That blows my idea of being able to slide them by hand one way with a fling rod (like you see in some hotels).

Wondering if anyone has experienced a similar problem & their solution - before I resort to my sewing machine, pleater tape and a traverse rod...LOL

Thanks in advance for any help!

anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2008
3:47 AM

Post #5689337

Try it w/ a single piece of metal pipe.That's what I did w/ the same problem. Brass or copper more $ but works too. I don't know if you could find a wooden dowel that long. Unless you secured 2 pieces of long dowel together w/ brackets the panels could slide over. Or what is it called when you drill a hole in either end of ea dowel and put a little wooden rod in them and push together forming 1 long dowel?
denisemb
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #5690217

Thanks, anastatia - I think I'll try your suggestion on using pipe. I was worried about sag, but heck - if it doesn't work I'm just out the price of pipe and rings!

Thanks again.

anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2008
2:13 PM

Post #5690304

Sag was my issue too. One thing you can do is put the center support bracket to the left of center where the fabric/curtain is gathered when pushed back/open. Maybe 2 panels on one side of the support bracket and 2 on the other so you can pull fabric to the end for privacy. I think I had to cut a hole in one of the panels because the bracket showed between panels.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2008
12:03 AM

Post #5705646

That is an excellent suggestion! I have a large window, and my other rod broke from sagging. I'll give that a try! Thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Decorating Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Mexican theme, not for the faint of heart MollyMc 57 Jan 4, 2008 3:14 AM
Kitchen Makeover......There's no turning back now!! nminmd 163 Jul 31, 2007 1:21 AM
Removing Wallpaper GrannyLois 30 Aug 18, 2009 11:32 PM
Bedroom re-do Terry 42 Aug 16, 2014 11:12 PM
Re-do on the bedroom. What a difference! Badseed 45 Jan 23, 2009 6:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America