Photo by Melody

Weather: October Daily Weather III, What's happening in your yard?

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 208, Views: 1,511
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2008
2:56 PM

Post #5690426

Yesterday after a day long trip to Lakeland, Fl volunteering with friends I returned to Jacksonville wishing I had a jacket.
My car said 64º and I felt it.
Now I'm doing my derndest to turn off things and save as much as possible on power and water.
Here is a beautiful tree I saw yesterday. I'm sure being S of here made the chill more noticeable.
My coleus are happy.
Please come by often with your weather, your pictures and the joy we all need so much right now.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

October 19, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #5690482

No pictures as trying to finish cleanup in as many beds as possible.

We have had a hard enough freeze here in Lebanon, OR to cause the toms peppers and dahlias to all go down...

Foggy some mornings and never more than 60's now or rain. We are about to enter the cold times and tons of rain.

Will post a picture of the species clemetis in full bloom

D

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2008
3:18 PM

Post #5690501

Woke up to chilly temps this morning. Hooray!! Fall is arriving in Fort Worth. We won't have real fall-looking weather until around Thanksgiving, but I love these days of cool mornings and warmer afternoons. Started out around 50, currently sitting at 64 and will get up to around 80 this afternoon. Not a cloud in sight and there's a light breeze blowing.

Went to the North Central Texas Roundup yesterday. What a blast!!

Thumbnail by stephanietx

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 19, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #5690534

WOW!!! So much to catch up on. No way can I comment on everything, so...

Wonderful, everyone! Makes me know there IS life outside of mine! LOL Thanks.

45F with 71 today. Going to be nice again. Time for more coffee.
Feels like: 45F

Barometer: 30.1 in ↑
Dewpoint: 36
Humidity: 70%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 0 mph
Sunrise: 7:44 AM
Sunset: 6:40 PM
UV Index: 4 Low

B-24 Liberator.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 19, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #5691164

Kelli, didn't know what to expect for windshield picture. So cool!! I'm pretty sure the 70 mph was you :o)

Ric, that would be a neat to see blimps all the time! We've had equal bean and corn harvesting and a lot of it's done already. The grain dryer is right across the street, but they haven't dried anything yet.

Joey, I'm so laughing. I can see you doing more running than toting!! WOW! We are only going to dip to the lower 30's then back to the 40's. Strange days indeed. I'm glad I'm not the only one to mix up the cats :o) What a beautiful homey tree lined walk. What is the dark object?

Ahh Kelli, we know you well ;o) (Speed)

Early, gorgeous pictures!! Love the watering hole and old barn!!! I love the peachy sky on the horizon! It's photo contest worthy! You take such good pictures! We have the Amish scratch and dent too and if you don't get there when the truck does, the shelves are empty. What great buys tho!! I've done the pies and crisp. I'm wanting to try the dumplings.

Ric, love FROST! It certainly did! I'm glad you saved her plants. Neat remodel pic! DH and I, (I was mainly gopher) built on two large and one small room additions over a few years, in our YOUTH! I wouldn't want to do it now, but I know how much work you've put into your house!

Sugar, I'm sure not ready for the cold weather. Those ARE beautiful trees!!

Hi Irisloverdee! It will be nice to talk iris next spring!

Stephanietx, you make fall sound so nice. I'm glad because it kills the no see ums and flies! Wow, those are nice looking plants!!

Kwanjin, my sentiments exactly! If I can't get out and go places, I'm glad someone can! B planes are so neat!

65* quite breezy and sunny. I went out early and took out the last 6 tomato plants, cages and stakes and picked up walnuts in the driveway. I hung clothes and am taking a coffee break!

Foggy sunrise!

Thumbnail by billyporter

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2008
6:31 PM

Post #5691187

Afternoon, all!

60 and sunny after dipping into the 40s over night. Expecting more 40s the next few nights so I decided to bite the bullet and spent the morning dragging the most tender tropicals into the garage. Bummer. I have a few more to go, but decided to take a break for lunch and a little NFL time. Then I'll finish. The old garage seems to be getting a little full. LOL.

Ric: Yup. That's frost alright. Better you than me. You must never sit down - so many projects. I feel like such a lazy bum when I see everything you're doing. :)

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 19, 2008
9:38 PM

Post #5691753

Sunny and warm. Windy too. Only bad thing is someone is shooting their deer rifle but we can't tell where they are shooting at.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2008
11:00 PM

Post #5692052

Welcome Dee!
Good to see you again Stephanie!

Rann That is a beautiful song and good job on the translation! Always remember you have friends here.
Se_eds Thank you for your words of wisdom. You are an inspiration :)
E_B Ohh I hate hearing of peoples pensions taking a beating. I get so upset about it. Weve lost a lot too, makes me sick.
Vicki What part of Houston are you from? Im from Bellaire!
Rann How was the wedding?
Marsue No sign of the Blue Angels here either this weekend. Usually we see/hear them flying over.
Kelli I havent seen a Blimp in forever! Thanks for posting the picture.
Ric It was amazing how Fall-like it was up north. No joke LOL!
Joey Is that Jack racing down the road? Beautiful picture!
E_B Beautiful pictures!
Ric _ brrrr frost LOL!
Sidney Nice start picture! I am loving the change in temps LOL!
Sally Wow! Beautiful picture!
Pepper - As long as they aren't shooting in your direction :)

64.4 F / 18 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 45 F / 7 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/hfrom the NE
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2800 ft / 853 m
Mostly Cloudy 4200 ft / 1280 m

Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 7 PM EDT this evening...

Tonight
Windy early. Partly cloudy. Low 54. Northeast winds 20 mph and gusty decreasing to 10 to 15 mph.

Theis has been the best weather weekend since early Spring LOL! Low 70's and 50's at night. I am loving it LOL! This is the perfect weather for me. We've had company all weekend. They are leaving tomorrow so I get to play a little "catch up" now.

GF relaxing yesterday

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #5692579

Such a pretty day! LOL Deb! I thought I was the only one for the longest time that couldn't get her plants in the ground!
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2008
1:39 AM

Post #5692684

Currently 38F and clear. We finally had a heavy killing frost here last night and the last of my annuals bit the dust.

Steph...Wow! that's a lot of plants.

Sidney...those trees sure have a lot of interest.

Billy...Our Amish store is usually well stocked. I keep an eye on the expiration dates and save a lot of money.

I drove southeast of here about 70 miles this morning and arrived at the bike trail head just minutes before noon. I was surprised to find there was still frost on the ground in the shadows. The first part of my ride was quite cold and I was glad I didn't get the earlier start I had planned on. I rode the Sandy Creek Trail for 10-12 miles, connected with the Allegheny River Trail and rode it another 20 miles south. It was a beautiful day but the light was too harsh for good photography.

Here are a few photos. These trails are flat, paved and follow old abandoned railway lines. website here: http://www.avta-trails.org/allegheny-samuel-trails.html

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2008
1:40 AM

Post #5692708

Typical Allegheny Trail scene.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #5692723

One of the coolest things on the trail are the old railroad tunnels. I had a small penlight--just enough to make the reflectors glow and it's really strange peddling along in the pitch blackness.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #5692729

Tunnel entrance.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #5692734

Allegheny river scene.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #5692744

And finally, this old stone arch bridge in the woods along the trail. It looks like it probably dates back to the CCC days in the '30's. The road is long gone. Notice the trees growing on the top.

early_bloomer

This message was edited Oct 19, 2008 9:47 PM

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

October 20, 2008
9:39 AM

Post #5693630

Miss a day and miss alot. Hope you give me some time to learn who everyone is. I'm a little on the slow side. LOL

Been a great fall day here. Not looking forward to frost.

I do enjoy your pictures I don't have pictures to share but would love to share some of my favorite picture sites.

Low-47F
High-71F
Wind-S @ 6-11 MPH
Clear
Sunrise-7:25 AM
Sunset-6:32 PM
Moonrise-10;39 PM
Moonset-1:52 PM

A link for Rann. Type in oatmeal homemade in receipe search. This site has a recipe for anything you'd possible think to cook.
http://cooks.com/
Have fun
Vickie
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2008
9:57 AM

Post #5693652

Good morning!

It's a blustery one today, icy cold wind howling from the north, cloudy but no rain in the forecast. 34F, there was some overnight frost.

Sharon - thanks :-) The wedding was great. It was wonderful to meet up with relatives we hadn't seen in years. We enjoyed good food and wine in great company well into the evening ... or night for those who stayed longer. We left at 11:30 pm to get home to the girls. People like to sing at weddings here, and I thought it was pretty funny that one of the songs we sung was the song I translated. lol 50 - 70F sounds perfect to me too.

Vikie - thanks for the link :-)

EB - GREAT photos :-) What a beautiful trail for a bike ride.

Hope you all have a good day!

Rann

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2008
9:57 AM

Post #5693654

E_B - Great pictures, the last one is my favorite.
Vicki - Cooks.com is a good link. I have the icon on my desktop :)

60.6 F / 15.9 C
Clear
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 50 F / 10 C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.24 in / 1023.9 hPa (Steady)

Today
Partly cloudy. Breezy near coast. High 72. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph inland around 15 mph near the coast.

Mr. Squirrel got in the feeder again!

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2008
10:15 AM

Post #5693672

LOL - Sharon that is so funny. How in the world does he get in there? lol

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2008
11:26 AM

Post #5693766

Rann - the top flips up. I watched one young squirrel at the feeder. Took a minute for him to figure out how to get to the food. Got the top flipped up and tumbled inside. It was so funny. He popped back out then went back in. We have a pretty entertaining back yard LOL!

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 20, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #5694102

Mornin'! All! Well, It's super chilly this mornin' w/ a temp of 34. It didn't frost here yesterday, but it almost did. Everybody around had it. It's too Dyson Dark to tell what's out there this mornin'. LOL! Probably by the time I finish this, I'll be able to tell! :D Yep..I had to come back...It's too foggy to have frozen anything! :D
At Dublin...
Clear: 34F
Feels like: 34F
Barometer: 30.4 in
Dewpoint: 32
Humidity: 93%
Sunrise: 7:36 AM
Sunset: 6:38 PM
UV Index: 0 Low
WIDESPREAD FREEZING TEMPERATURES AND FROST EXPECTED THIS MORNING...

D, Welcome! :D
Sidney! What a gorgeous tree! What is it? It's Massive!
Sally, Thanks, LOL! The 'dark object' is Jack! :D He was right in front of me when I got the camera up to my face & by the time I was ready to take the pic he was way down there! He speedy (like Kelli!) for sure! :D Love the foggy sunrise!
Sharon! LOL there he goes again! That is so funny! It's like he's waiting for you to pop out of the house, so he poses! ;) Thanks, yes...the energizer poochie is on the loose! :D
E_B, Absolutely Gorgeous! If I went on your bike rides I wouldn't get very far for taking pics! :D
Deb, You have some Huge Plants! Just look at that Fern! :-O Hope you got them all inside before the day was thru. ;)
Stephanie, Glad that you had fun at the RU. Looks pretty neat. :)
Ric, That frost is Thick! I showed your pic to my sister & she said she had frost like that. She lives on Christiansburg Mountain...south of Roanoke.
Kelli, I understand... :) I wish I could do that, but w/ JW I gotta do Some cleaning. ;)

Today's trivia is...
What is another term for the counter-clockwise circulation of a low-pressure system?
a) Monsoon
b) Cyclone
c) Twister
d) Gale

Have a Great Day! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2008
5:07 PM

Post #5694985

ROTFLOL That squirrel is too funny!

EB, your rides are so wonderful. We have a trail close by that people take but you have to cross several major roads from start to finish. It follows the river flowing through the city.

63F with 70 for later. Darrell stayed home sick today. Some sort of allergy attack, I think.
Feels like: 63F

Barometer: 30 in ↑
Dewpoint: 33
Humidity: 33%
Wind: 11 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:45 AM
Sunset: 6:38 PM

Darrell and F-14 Tomcat. He worked on these in the Navy.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 20, 2008
5:23 PM

Post #5695023

Joey: Guessing "B", cyclone. And, yes, I eventually got them all inside.
EB: Absolutely wonderful photos from your bike ride!
Sharon: I did LOL at your squirrel in the feeder. :)

Low last night was 40. Right now it's around 70, but supposed to get to near 80 this afternoon.
Sunny and very Blu!

Deb
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2008
6:38 PM

Post #5695349

My computer is acting up today--sure hope it isn't trying to crash! That would be awful. Sorry I can't comment on everyone's post--I tried earlier and had to quit--it wouldn't keep up with my typing and was really slow about going from one thread to another. It's doing a little better now but if I don't show up for a few days you'll know I have had to buy another ocmputer--going to get me a laptop next time around but don't won't to make that purchase unless I have to. Hsve a dood day everyone. I'll be back when I can. Joey, the plant is in the mail!

Today
Mostly Sunny
High 73F
Precip 20%
Wind: SSW 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 59%
UV Index: 5 Moderate
Sunrise: 7:19 AM CT
Avg. High: 73F
Record High: 90F (2004)
Partly Cloudy
Overnight Low 51F
Precip 10%
Wind: SSW 3 mph
Max. Humidity: 89%
Sunset: 6:26 PM CT
Avg. Low: 46F
Record Low: 26F (1989)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2008
8:10 PM

Post #5695736

Deb, nice garage! I love the low windows!

Hey Pepper, DUCK! (Shooting)

Sharon, thanks! Hope you got rested from your busy weekend. Ohhh, beautiful Frit!

Early, our Amish usually beat everyone to the store :o) Wow, you've had a killing frost already. What a beautiful ride! So much to look at!

Vickie, try missing a week ;o) I'm Sally :o)

Rann, I know that weather will be here someday. I'm sure not ready for it tho!! That is so neat, about the song!! I'm glad you had a wonderful time at the wedding!

MR SQUIRREL!!!! ROTFL!!

Joey, I can see you shivering! Jack! It didn't look like any familiar shape. Like Kelli _ ROTFL!! Thanks, it sure was a different sunrise. That is a really neat picture!!

Kwanjin, is that at an air show? Get well Darrell, from me.

Marsue, I hear you on slow computers. Some days I don't even want to turn mine on. Dratted dial-up!

62* sunny and almost a tenth of an inch of rain. Not bad for a 20% chance!

Some of the apples. Sauce, juice, and slices.

Thumbnail by billyporter

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 20, 2008
8:26 PM

Post #5695818

E_B, your pictures are great! The one with the horses is stunning!Have you entered it in the photo contest?
Sidney, thanks for the new link, the tree is beautiful!
Joey,frost , brrr!
Rann, it's nice to see relatives you haven't seen in years, at least at the weddings !
Sally, yummy !
It's cold during the night and getting warmer when the sun comes up. Still between 41 and 72. No wind, few clouds. Some were at sunrise this morning.It was too cold and the lense got steamed !LOL
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 20, 2008
8:32 PM

Post #5695848

I had to take a few more.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 20, 2008
8:36 PM

Post #5695866

One more.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2008
9:17 PM

Post #5696004

Adina, those are striking!!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 20, 2008
10:12 PM

Post #5696192

Billy, I love that cabinet thing.

Today will be the least hot day of the week.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on October 20, 2008
76 F / 24 C
Clear
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 53 F / 12 C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 29.99 in / 1015 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

hiking picture - poison oak

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 20, 2008
10:16 PM

Post #5696207

This is Century Lake. It's an old reservoir and is mostly silted up.

Thumbnail by Kelli

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2008
10:27 PM

Post #5696244

Kelli, that's a sideboard. We got a good deal on it, as far as we know, because the guy sdidn't want to load it up and take it back. I love it! We keep our winter gear in the outer drawers and platters and such in the middle. If I knew DH was going to take a picture I would have straightened it up and added the missing jar :o) Why does the poison laves have to be so beautiful?? It looks like a nice lake silted or not. What sort of reservoir?

60* breezy and the sun is going down.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 20, 2008
10:33 PM

Post #5696269

The reservoir is in a creek. I don't know exactly when the dam was put in, but it would be on the order of 90 years ago. It was put in to make a lake for fishing and duck hunting back when the area was a private club.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2008
10:37 PM

Post #5696277

Ahhh, since it's dry out there, I wasn't sure what it was for.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2008
10:59 PM

Post #5696363

Joey Brrrr frost already! Isnt it a cyclone? Im going with B.
Celia - I love going to airshows. My FIL is a retired fighter pilot he was a trainer too. Started out flying a P-51 A7, F-102, F-86, F-100, T-33. I hope Darrell feels better soon. How is the non-smoker doing these days?
Marsue I hope you get your computer running properly.
Sally Look at all that applesauce and slices! You are way too organized LOL! Straightened it OMG you should see the inside of my cabinets! Well, maybe not LOL!
Adina Beautiful sunrise!
Kelli - The poison oak is very pretty! I'll bet that reservoir is pretty when the lily pads start blooming.

66.7 F / 19 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 54%
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Steady)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3600 ft / 1097 m

Tonight
Mostly clear. Low 50. North winds 5 mph.

Supposed to get in the upper 40's at JIA. Tomatoes!

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2008
12:16 AM

Post #5696666

OMG! I just took another look at the forecast and we have a...Frost Advisory...!! ?? What?? Not in October. SIgh. Glad I stashed the tropicals in the garage and took some coleus cuttings.

Adina, that's an amazing sky you got there. Wow!

Deb
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2008
12:57 AM

Post #5696898

Sunny this morning then clouds moved in late afternoon. High was in the low 60s. Tomorrow night we have rain coming in and it will be her for several days. Ugh.

Have to move the last of my tropicals in tomorrow. Now my goal is to not kill them. My blue hibiscus is complaining already.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #5697034

Sally, I'm drooling! My grandmother used to make homemade apple sauce and it was SOOOO good!

Beautiful photos, as usual, everyone. :-) We're having a great time on Jekyll Island. I'm going to show you all off to my BIL this evening, so everyone put on your best smiles. (LOL) He likes gardening, but doesn't know a lot about it... Hopefully I can get him hooked. :-)

It's gorgeous here! I forgot my camera cable, so you'll have to wait till we get home for pictures. Here's the weather, though (probably looks a lot like Sharon's as we are just a hop and a skip north of her here.)

Right now it is fair and 55, so I don't think the suggested low on here can be correct. We're (my assorted siblings and their spouses, that is) going to leave the bunnies here with Grandma, Grandpa, and various aunts & uncles, and go gallivanting in Savannah tomorrow. That should be very fun.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 58. Northeast wind around 6 mph.

Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 74. North wind between 3 and 7 mph.

Tuesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 61. Calm wind becoming north around 5 mph.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 21, 2008
3:42 AM

Post #5697766

For tomorrow:
Mostly cloudy. A slight chance of snow showers in the morning. Highs in the 30s. Light winds.
35 and dark.
The tree is fantastic, sugarweed, all of them.
So many photos, and not time for personal comments now. Marylyn, sounds like a good day ahead.
Poison Oak is gorgeous; too bad it's such a pain, kelli.
Adina~such a pretty sky; nothing like the sky to turn to for winter color.
My sister arrives tomorrow, from Calif,. You may know her here on DG: SacValley.
I'm so excited; what a week of big events it's been.
Sun dog above Pioneer Peak today.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2008
4:54 AM

Post #5697958

Darrell felt better this afternoon after taking some strong allergy meds, so we went to Park City. It;s also home to some wonderful ski resorts. It's about 25 miles from us and where they have the Sundance Film Festival every year. This is the off-season and very fun.

I took my camera and took some pics from the car. This is going through Parley's Canyon.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2008
4:56 AM

Post #5697961

We missed the peak of the colors but they're still breath taking.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2008
4:58 AM

Post #5697965

We took a small side road and found some fun color.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2008
4:59 AM

Post #5697968

Another.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2008
5:01 AM

Post #5697974

Park City gets meese, too, Kiska!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2008
5:02 AM

Post #5697976

There were more but these were the most fun.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2008
5:06 AM

Post #5697986

With no where in particular to go, we went in search of things we hadn't seen before. We found a cemetary.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2008
5:10 AM

Post #5697990

We started losing our light, so we went in search of a coffee shop along Historic Main Street, Park City, Utah.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2008
5:19 AM

Post #5698003

On our trip home, we were treated to a sky like Adina's. We're all on the same planet, we all see the same sun, we all share this life.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2008
5:21 AM

Post #5698009

This one is my favorite. It really was this color.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2008
9:53 AM

Post #5698309

Deb & Pepper Hope your plants make it through the chill.
Pepper You have a blue hibiscus? Hmmmm, why dont you send it to me and Ill take care of it for you during the Winter? Heeheeheeehee
Hi Marylyn {{Waving}}! Glad yall made it safely : ) Ohh, Savannah one of my fav places. Are you going to Paula Deens? You are a tad cooler than we are.
Kiska I didnt know your sister is a DG member! Where does she hang out here? Have fun. Neat picture!
Celia- Thank you for the trip! I enjoyed it, esp the purple moose LOL! Beautiful sunsets the colors are fabulous!

60.1 F / 15 C
Clear
Humidity: 74%
Dew Point: 52 F / 11 C
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa (Falling)

Today
Mostly sunny. High 76. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

Peek-a-"Boo"!

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2008
10:10 AM

Post #5698327

Good morning!

We have clear skies this morning, farily calm and as a result only 34F. Needless to say there was overnight frost again ... most of the plants are toast now. Winter's just around the corner ... I heard something about it being next Saturday (the official first day of winter). It's going to be a long one this year ... I think everyone is dreading it.

Wonderful photos everyone!

Celia - so glad your DH was feeling better so we could take this trip with you ;-) lol Wonderful photos :-)

Sharon - I see Boo likes to play hide and seek. LOL

Marylyn - sounds like you're having a wonderful vacation - looking forward to the pics when you get back :-)

Adina - gorgeous sunrise!

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2008
2:25 PM

Post #5698979

Thanks, Ladies. That purple moose was down a side street. I just caught it out of the corner of my eye and made Darrell turn around and go back.

BOO!!! LOL Love that pic!

Kiska, do you dip the coleus cuttings in root hormone and plop into a small pot?

The airplanes were from an air museum in Tillamook, OR, 2007.

46F with 53 for later today.
Feels like: 42F

Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 37
Humidity: 70%
Wind: 8 mph N
Sunrise: 7:46 AM
Sunset: 6:37 PM

We got to see a Ferrari in Park City. Que Bella!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 21, 2008
3:27 PM

Post #5699231

7am; dark, snowing large wet flakes.
Looks like my sister will arrive to a fresh and bright snowfall.
She, SacValley, hangs out on stained glass, recipes, and has started some as well.
Cecilia~it was a beautiful trip. The whole area looks just beautiful. The moose are like none other:)) I don't have coleus; perhaps sugarweed could help with the question. Hate to admit, but I have only one houseplant, and it's a cactus.
Wow ~look at that Ferrari~
MySharona~Boo is a good title ~ very cute.
rann~have a good day~
first snow arrived October 5th and certainly will be a long winter, it seems. Ice covers the ponds and along the river's edges.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2008 7:37 AM

Thumbnail by kiska

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2008
4:52 PM

Post #5699571

Gorgeous pictures!!

I have to admit the applesauce did turn out pretty good. Better than storebought!

50* with a chilly breeze. Sunny skies!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2008
5:41 PM

Post #5699754

Celia, those pictures are great. Did you take Darrell's Toy for that ride? I think a day trip was just what the Dr ordered.
Henry's talking to me this morning. I wish he'd learn English.
Kelli as usual your hikes are great too.
EB I thank you for some more great pictures.
I think our group here is going to sweep this years http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/911283/
Photography contest.
Sally I think your sideboard full of apple goodies is so pretty.
I did not even notice a jar missing or any other lack.
Sun Dog is kin to Northern Lights?
Kiska I was thinking how clean that air must be there. I could literally smell carbon monoxide outside this morning.
I did notice the butterflies were flitting about and the only bee I saw was flying close to the ground.
So glad Marylyn is having a big time with siblings on Jekyll Island. I love carousing in Savannah. So historic.
Adina and Celia the harvest sky is these beautiful color as the soil is tilled for winter crops. Thanks for sharing those.
I am enjoying all these pictures so much.
Deb, they say next week will be warm again. Good job on hauling all your plants in. We are lucky to have some overwinter space for our babies.
Celia, get a pot of new potting soil and take your cuttings, remove the bottom pair of leaves, dip in rooting hormone, tap off excess and stick them in your fresh soil.
Set your pot in a dish of warm water with a dash of Hydrogen Peroxide in it.
When the soil has soaked up water, remove and set in indirect light. After the new roots are established, water only when dry.
In the Spring take cuttings and root again, then put these jewels all around.
I will be using this method with some plastic window boxes I have trays for and keeping them on my glassed in porch.
So glad to see Stephanie, Dee and Vicki here too.
Sharon, that squirrel is too funny.
My guess is B Cyclone
Sidney

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2008
6:04 PM

Post #5699862

Sugar, that's the longest post of your's I've ever read :o)

Thank you. I'm sure those apples are going to serve me well this winter.

I always think Alaska smells good too. I opened the door last night and someone was spreading manure.

Does hydrogen peroxide kill bacteria? Is that something I should do for all the things I try to root?
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2008
6:12 PM

Post #5699901

Sally - I just saw your post. Reminds of when we went to Clinton, PA to my SIL's horse farm. She warned me the guy across the street spreads manure once a week on his farm. Yeah, SIL's farm is "down wind". I thought I was going to barf LOL!

This message was edited Oct 21, 2008 2:32 PM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2008
6:25 PM

Post #5699962

It's really horrible isn't it!!!

We live across the road from a grain elevator. They were scooping from a huge pile of corn cobs. This is the first time I've ever seen cobs over there. They also make fertilizer.

This is the storm they created. I didn't get the thickest show and I took it thru the window!!

Thumbnail by billyporter

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2008
8:08 PM

Post #5700375

Celia, I've also kept coleus cuttings in water for weeks and weeks in the past, which is probably not the best way, but is possible if you can't pot them up for a while. I enjoyed the tour of Park City and it's "meese".

Marylyn: Have a blast in Savannah. We're about 90 miles north of there. You'll love it. Just walking around the town is a treat.

False alarm on our frost advisory last night, which is fine with me.
Nice and warm today - a perfect autumn day as far as I'm concerned. :)

I may not be back for a spell. My home computer (laptop) got a malware infestation last night. Gonna work on it tonight, but in the mean time, I'll only be able to check in from work briefly.

Deb

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 21, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #5700529

Clear sky and my mums are blooming! I'll have to go to bed now, it was a long day, will comment in the morning.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2008
9:50 PM

Post #5700793

I'm WAY too far behind to catch up! I'll just say GREAT photos, everyone, and I ditto what Sidney said to each of you. Thanks, Sidney for making my job easy! LOL! I do want to tell you, Sally, that is a beautiful buffet(sideboard) that you have your applesauce, etc. stored in.

Good news on my computer. A friend reminded me that I needed to defrag and run a disk clean-up every so often! Well, DUH! How long has it been since I have done that--like I can't remember when!! So I did the necessary "housekeeping" and everything seems to be going fine, now.
Sure hope you get your computer "fixed", Deb.

We have been having some absolutely beautiful autumn weather. Rain coming in tomorrow night, though and supposed to be cooler later in the week.
Currently it is 74 and partly sunny/cloudy. Low tonight to be 53.

I didn't take this photo--a friend did and emailed it to me. It is similar to EB's photo of the bridge in his post above. This was taken on Petit Jean Mountain here in Arkansas.

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 21, 2008
11:17 PM

Post #5701199

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on October 21, 2008
92 F / 33 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 14%
Dew Point: 36 F / 2 C
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h / 3.6 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 29.93 in / 1013 hPa (Falling)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 30000 ft / 9144 m
(Above Ground Level)

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2008
1:00 AM

Post #5701627

Sharon, if my hib really starts throwing a hissy fit I will send it to you but you have to mail it back in May but if it grows at the speed it did this summer it will probably be too big and you will get to keep it. Which I know is your goal. LOL. I got it early summer and it was only 6 inches tall at most. Now it's over 2 feet. Must really like my clay soil. lol

It is raining and raining good now. Will hang around til Friday for sure, Saturday maybe. Chance of flurries mixing in with it this week too. All of my tropicals except my rain lilies and bulbs that are waiting for a killing frost are in now so I just have to wait on my annuals to die and I'm done for the season.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2008
1:05 AM

Post #5701646

FREEZE here tonight!
Hustling to get the rest of the plants protected.

Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2008
1:52 AM

Post #5701867

Sorry, Kiska. I can be such a dork in the mornig. And the afternoon. ☺

Thanks, Sidney. I will do what you said. I really want to keep my Inky Fingers. The others, I have seed for.

Hi, Mau!!! Pretty bridge.

A pretty day today. It was a little chilly but the sun felt good.

We did take the new "toy". LOL That's the fastest we've even made it up that canyon. Heh heh heh

We saw this sign in one of the shop windows. I'm glad our "Dr." told us to go. ☺

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #5702079

Currently 42F with a few rain showers lingering in the area. A high of only 46F and sunshine forecast for tomorrow. Highi in the upper 50's for Thursday and Friday with more sunshine. It's all down hill after that, 6 days of rain and temps in the 40's.

It was an absolutely glorious day here in NW Pa. A cold biting wind, rain, dark foreboding skies all made better by the occasional shafts of sunlight providing some great light for photography.

kwanjin...Love the sign! Great sunset and moose photos too.

billyporter...We've made quite a bit of applesauce this year. I still have 4 bushels of Romes picked and still more on the tree. Haven't picked the Winesaps yet.

kiska...My DIL said she saw some wet snowflakes today. Bummer.

Kelli...Isn't it funny how the plants that can do you the most harm have the best fall color.

Sharon...Mr. Squirrel is a hoot!

Here are a few photos from today: Fishing for steelhead in Elk Creek.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2008
2:35 AM

Post #5702086

Farm scene...

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2008
2:36 AM

Post #5702090

Another view...

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2008
2:39 AM

Post #5702106

And finally, here's one for Billy. I bet we could make quite a batch of apple butter in this kettle. This was given to me last week. I put my hat on it for size reference.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2008
2:45 AM

Post #5702134

I found this loaded apple tree growing wild on a State Game Lands.

early_bloomer

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2008
8:36 AM

Post #5702778

Good morning!

There's snow on the ground this morning, cloudy skies and 32F.

We're still in the freezer and things are gradually going from bad to worse ...

Great photos EB :-)

Rann
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2008
9:56 AM

Post #5702809

Celia Did yall go for a joy ride in the Ferrari? It is a beautiful machine.
Kiksa Hope your sister arrived safely. I know you will enjoy the visit. Beautiful snow picture!
Sally Yuck, they make quite a mess and stick too. What more can one ask for, huh? LOL!
Deb Hope your computer just needs an easy fix. See you soon!
Adina Pretty mums!
Marsue Glad your computer issue was an easy fix! Beautiful picture!
Pepper LOL! Busted : ) I really wish wed get a 2 day drizzler. We need a good soaker.
Celia - love that sign LOL! DH got a ticket last night. He has a serious lead foot, it was only a matter of time sigh
E_B The Fall colors are gorgeous! Great pics of the farms and storm clouds. That is without a doubt the largest kettle Ive ever seen, now you can go raid that loaded apple tree! LOL!
Rann Is there any sign of improvement in your economy?

58.5 F / 14.7 C
Clear
Humidity: 73%
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Steady)

Today
Mostly sunny. Breezy. High 76. Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 25 mph.

It's really pleasant out right now! Zebra Longwing taken yesterday evening.

Thumbnail by MySharona

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 22, 2008
10:30 AM

Post #5702856

Good Morning all! We've got changing weather in the forecast for today. We have a cold front heading our direction bringing with it storms and much cooler temperatures. It's currently 66. We're supposed to get up to the lower 70s before the temps drop to the 40s tonight. I need to get out and sprinkle my poppy seeds before I head out to work!

Here's a picture from the Japanese Gardens at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #5703465

Sharon - no improvements. Things just seem to be getting worse. I think people's patience is wearing thin, since we're not getting much news of how things are progressing ... According to the Financial Times there's been a "rescue packet" assembled by the IMF and some nordic nations .. that hasn't been confirmed yet, but it seems pretty clear that the IMF will be involved whatever the end result will be. In the mean time the icelandic press has been kept pretty much in the dark ...

Meanwhile we're still being treated like terrorists, this is our answer to that: http://www.indefence.is/index.php

Stephanie - gorgeous photo :-)

Rann

This message was edited Oct 30, 2008 5:33 PM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2008
4:12 PM

Post #5703926

Pretty butterfly, Sharon. We don't get those. How is Gary doing? So glad he's getting better.

Rann, you're still in my thoughts every day.

Very nice, Stephanie. I love Japanese gardens.

No, we didn't take the Ferrari for a joyride! LOL That would have been fun, though.

34F wiht 59 for later.
Feels like: 34F

Barometer: 30.6 in ↑
Dewpoint: 24
Humidity: 67%
Sunrise: 7:47 AM
Sunset: 6:35 PM

"I don't want to sit by the bear, Mom."

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2008
6:16 PM

Post #5704344

Cold, windy and rainy.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2008
6:22 PM

Post #5704366

I thought some of you might be interested in what a DGer did for a poor kitty...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/911796/

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2008
9:27 PM

Post #5705116

Deb, I hope you get your computer cleaned up. Doesn't that make you want to scream!

Adina, those are sunshine bright mums!!

Marsue, thanks. The veneer is really well matched on the front with a butterfly pattern. I feel sorry for the family that let it go. I think a defrag wouldn't hurt mine either. It's been acting up, but we're still on dial-up. Beautiful picture!

No Pepper, you have a green thumb! My rain lilies are in the garage waiting to die down too. I still have to dig dahlias, glads and callas.

Run Ric run!

Kwanjin, I love that sign!! Bet that was a neat ride!!

Early, it's time to buy a cider press!! I hope I made enough applesauce to get us thru the winter. I have two buckets of Criterion left to do whatever with. Beautiful pictures! Ohhh, it's a beautiful kettle!! Given to you? How lucky!!

Rann, onh no, snow already! Stay warm! I pray for you a lot!! How are the girls?

Sharon, cool pic of the zebra on the fly!!

Stephanietx, Beautiful Japanese garden!! I'd love to have that bridge!!

Rann, the newspaper article makes my heart ache.

Kwanjin, that is so funny!, now it's heartbreaking. What a lucky cat!!

59* grey and a chilly breezy day. It spit rain a couple of times this morn, but not much coming yet. I love days like today!!

Kwanjin, I loved how you said ''We're all on the same planet, we all see the same sun, we all share this life.'' That is so beautiful!

This morning's sunrise. Shortly after it turned grey.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 22, 2008
9:45 PM

Post #5705168

I'm not sure I'm on the same planet.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on October 22, 2008
93 F / 34 C
Clear
Humidity: 5%
Dew Point: 13 F / -10 C
Wind: 14 mph / 22 km/h / 6.2 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 21 mph / 33 km/h / 9.3 m/s
Pressure: 29.99 in / 1016 hPa (Falling)
UV: 5 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2008
10:16 PM

Post #5705262

Stephanie Gorgeous Picture!
Rann - That is a shame. Just let us know if you need anything. We can ship a care package in no time : ) Our prayers are with you and all of Iceland.
Celia Gary has been a little ill today. He had chemo yesterday. Darrell is cracking me up! LOL! He really looks like he didnt want to sit there LOL! Awww to the kitty story
Sally I love when the sky turns pink : )
Kelli -Ooooh Hot...

71.4 F / 21 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 62%
Dew Point: 58 F / 14 C
Wind: 4.3 mph / 6 km/hfrom the ENE
Wind Gust: 5.0 mph / 8 km/h
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 76 F / 24 C
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 3600 ft / 1097 m

Tonight
Increasing cloudiness and warmer with a 20% chance of showers. Low 61. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Another of the Zebra Longwing

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 22, 2008
11:45 PM

Post #5705554

Sharon: that Zebra Longwing is gorgeous. I don't think I've ever seen one.

So! I got rid of the evil malware/spyware thing. Took a while. I was tearing my hair out! The most annoying thing. Whoever created it shoulld be imprisoned! Arrrgghh! ;->

Ok, better now. :)

Clear and 57F. Dyson Dark.
Deb
(Snail Vine/ P. Caracalla)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2008
12:11 AM

Post #5705670

Still raining...

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2008
12:16 AM

Post #5705688

Kelli, maybe you're from Mars ;o)

Sharon, when chemo is done is he done with everything? The zebra is just floating. Good shots!!

Deb, they need to be imprisoned with free access to a computer infected with the worst that is out there. Oh my gosh, I love snailvine. Wow! That's the best picture I've seen of one!!

It's 52* and Dyson dark here too. Still breezy.

Hanging on to summer

Thumbnail by billyporter

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 23, 2008
12:32 AM

Post #5705761

I'd say it was more like Mercury. It's not cloudy enough to be Venus. It's too hot to be Mars.

Deb, we use Trend Micro AntiVirus and have not had any major problem. (Knock on wood!) DH probably got it at Staples or Office Depot. We found that it the compatibility is better if you buy a new program every year than to renew it on-line. I don't know why that would be, but it is for us. I also use the free Spybot Search and Destroy.

Picture from Saturday at the Aquarium of the Pacific.

Thumbnail by Kelli

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #5705852

Kelli, you are so smart!!! I googled the fastest planet because we all now you are a speed demon and guess what? You ARE from Mercury!!!

Mercury owns the record at 47km per second

M - 47.9 km/s
V - 35.0 km/s
E - 29.8 km/s
M - 24.1 km/s
J - 13.1 km/s
S - 9.6 km/s
U - 6.8 km/s
N - 5.4 km/s
P - 4.7 km/s

Cool jellyfish!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2008
9:32 AM

Post #5707029

46*, Dyson Dark and windy!

Zebrina Hollyhock still going till a hard freeze takes it down.

Thumbnail by billyporter

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2008
10:06 AM

Post #5707047

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARYLYN!!

Thanks everyone The ZLW does float more than flutter, but they are a little more shy than the Gulf Frit. Ive seen more of them this year than last.
Deb Cool snail vine Ive never seen that before. Glad the lap top is better. Maybe its time I do mine too LOL!
Sally We hope. Gary was ill yesterday from chemo that was a first. Usually he gets tired and weak, but this was different. He has 10 days off then begins again for (hopefully) the last time. These last 2 cycles are more maintenance than anything. Thats a beautiful picture.
Kelli Wow wow wow, neat picture!
Sally Pretty hollyhock!

68.2 F / 20.1 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 61 F / 16 C
Wind: 5.9 mph / 9.5 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the ENE
Wind Gust: 11.0 mph / 17.7 km/h
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 3500 ft / 1066 m
Mostly Cloudy 7500 ft / 2286 m

At 518 am EDT National Weather Service Doppler radar indicated scattered showers centered 3 miles north of Talbot Island...moving west at 10 mph. This area of showers will affect areas around Talbot Island...Little Talbot Island...Fernandina Beach...Amelia City...Yulee...Oceanway and Jacksonville International Airport through 615 am EDT.

Wind Advisory in effect until 6 PM EDT Friday...
High surf advisory in effect from 2 PM this afternoon to 2 am EDT Saturday...

Today
Very windy. Mostly cloudy with a 50% chance of showers. High 72. East winds increasing to 25 mph with gusts to 40 mph.

It's raining - apparantly a nice slow drizzle most of the night :) One more and we'll move on...it is a pretty butterfly. I always run outside when I see one - they prefer the neighbors lawn...hmmm wonder what he has over there?

This message was edited Oct 23, 2008 7:38 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2008
10:52 AM

Post #5707099

Good morning!

It's windy this morning, snow on the ground again and 36F. It snowed yesterday morning after I posted for at least an hour, which made my drive to physical therapy and back pretty scary. I then waited in line for 2 hours to get the tires changed ... (grrrr). I wish I could be more organised and get that done in time... that's never happened. lol There's a big storm just off the west coast, so things might get nasty this afternoon. It all depends on the position of the storm system; we're hoping it'll stay offshore.

Some great photos, sorry I don't have time to comment on them all.

Celia - thanks for posting a link to that thread about the cat. Such a touching story. He sure is a lucky cat and deservedly so.

Here's a bit of good news for a change. They're "scooping up" huge amounts of herring from the sea just outside the harbor of Stykkishlmur (where we took our island trip from). They're getting a good price for it (from the Russians) so at least we're getting some currency there :-) Herring was our "gold of the sea" around the mid-20th century. It has been very elusive for the past decades so it's quite a coincidence that it's here in such incredible numbers now when we need it the most ... or maybe it isn't a coincidence?

Rann

This message was edited Oct 30, 2008 5:29 PM
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2008
10:54 AM

Post #5707101

Sharon - we cross posted. I hope Gary will be feeling better soon! That's a very pretty butterfly :-) I remember those from when I lived over there ;-)
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2008
2:09 PM

Post #5707654

Happy Birthday Marylyn!!!
Hope you are having a great time and can hardly wait for pictures. I do hope you want some coleus cuttings on your way home.
It rained here nice and steady this morning.
73.8 F / 23 C
Rain Mist
Humidity: 57%
Dew Point: 63 F / 17 C
Wind: 7.6 mph / 12 km/h from the ENE
Wind Gust: 12.8 mph / 20 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Rising)
Someone will know what this butterfly is on my thriving porterweed.
;)

Thumbnail by sugarweed

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #5707729

That's a Gulf Fritillary
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #5708045

Rain went away overnight and now the sun is back!!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 23, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #5708106

21 7:30am; dark
Today
Snow developing this morning.
Snow accumulations up to 2 inches. Highs in the upper 20s to mid 30s. We've about 6".
North winds 10 to 20 mph. Gusts to 30 mph
My sister arrived Tuesday afternoon and I've put her right to work helping move the glass studio from one area of the basement to another. Once the kiln/glass is moved, we can start making items.
It's been snowing a lot and is beautiful out. Deep and fluffy. We're going to Anchorage today to buy glass.
Happy Birthday, Marylyn~have a wonderful day.
Hi to all and will be off and on for the next couple of weeks.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5708259

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARYLYN!!

Lovely day here... 60's and sunny...
rain is supposed to move in tonight

Rann GOOD NEWS on the Herring!

Kiska enjoy the snow!
I'll let you know when to release some down here.
Probably the 12th of never! LOL!

Sorry to hear about Gary's reaction but Glad to hear he's in the home stretch!

Ric
Ric

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #5708277

Of gosh! I need to catch up some time soon! LOL

Great pic, all.

I need to get outside and get some peonies in the ground.

41F with 57 for the high later. It's sunny and pretty out.
Feels like: 36F

Barometer: 30.4 in
Dewpoint: 24
Humidity: 51%
Wind: 7 mph S
Sunrise: 7:48 AM
Sunset: 6:34 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2008
4:38 PM

Post #5708292

Happy Birthday Marylyn!

It's been snowing for most of the day, since the temp's above freezing it's all slush. Still I'm very glad I stuck it out in that line yesterday and got the tires changed.

Taken this afternoon at the Reykjavik botanic garden

Thumbnail by rannveig

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #5708305

Very pretty, Rann. But brrrrrrrr!

I forgot to add...HAPPY BIRTHDAY...Marylyn!!!!!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2008
9:50 PM

Post #5709326

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARYLYN!!

Nope, ya''ll--Kelli isn't from Mercury--like the rest of us women--she is from Venus. Men are from Mars! LOL
Neat photo of the jellyfish, Kelli!
Deb--glad you got your computer "fixed". Mine still is not acting right. I just have to sit and wait for it to catch up with me.
Sharon: sorry to hear that the treatment made Gary sick.Still praying for him. That's a beautiful ZLW--I have never seen one around here.
BP: pretty sunrise and hollyhock
Celia: loved both signs in the window and the photo of Darrell and "friend"! Neat story about the kitty in that link you provided.
Stephaie: loved the photo of the bridge at the Botanic Gardens
Ric: thanks for passing my "hello" along to Marcy. She emailed me afterward.
Rann: about the herring--call it "God-incidence"
Kiska: I am with Ric--you can send us snow on the "12th of Never"--LOL

We had a little rain during the night. It was cooler today--a high of around 58 I must bring my poinsettia and succulents inside--and my orchids. I need a greenhouse! Tonight's low to be around 43. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be around 65

3 Cloudless Sulphurs on the Hot Lips Salvia. The sun ws so bright when I took this photo that the sulphurs were washed out so I darkened the photo enough so that they would show up better. That's Red Dragon Persicaria to the left (little white blooms)--a veritable bee magnet.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #5709331

The joke's on me--that's the wrong photo--LOL that's Coral Nymph Salvia which I got at a recent RU.

Here's the photo I spoke about in the post above:

Thumbnail by marsue

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 23, 2008
10:01 PM

Post #5709347

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MARYLYN!
Great pics everyone ! I'm at home, on vacation...not resting, but cleaning, dusting and fixing what needs to be fixed arround the house. Just had a worker putting a plexiglass foil on the gates so the little pups can't come inside...they were just too many !LOL
I'll try to keep you posted on what's going on. For now is warm and sunny, but soon it's going to rain and get really cold...I hope not freeze!
Here is DH supervising the gates!LOL
HUgs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 23, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #5709357

And Buck too!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 23, 2008
11:09 PM

Post #5709563

Happy birthday, Marylyn!

Meanwhile in Planet Kelli,

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on October 23, 2008
92 F / 33 C
Clear
Humidity: 4%
Dew Point: 5 F / -15 C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s Variable
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1013 hPa (Falling)
(Above Ground Level)

I think these are different kinds of wrasses. Whatever they are, they start life as females and as they get older, some turn into males. It doesn't get much stranger than that.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #5709586

48F and clear this evening after a sunny day in the 50's with temps expected to fall into the mid 30's overnight. Mostly cloudy tomorrow with a high of 58F then 5 days of rain. Spent the day staining and sealing the garage.

Marylyn...Happy Birthday!!!

Billy Porter...Great colors and clouds! I really would like to get a cider press someday.
I have way too many apples and you can only eat so much applesauce.

adinamiti...You've lived out in the country for a while now. How do you like it?

Photo: I was taking a few photos near a stream and took one of my truck sitting in a tunnel of autumn colors.

early_bloomer

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2008
12:07 AM

Post #5709742

BP: Thanks, the Snail vine is hard to photograph sometimes. Cool pic of the seed pod.
Kelli: Oooo! Love the glowing jelly fish.

Sharon: Sorry Gary's having a bad time with the chemo. Hope next time really will be the last.
I adore that butterfly! Let us know if you find out what's attracting him to the neighbor's yard!

Rann: Hang in there. Please just say if you need anything.
Marilyn: I hope you're having a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Adina: Buck is adorable!

I found out where the Cloudless Sulphurs sleep. Under the Boston Fern. :)

57 and clear and dark.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #5709746

Oh, also. This little Gulf Frit. must've recently had a close call. He flies a little lopsided. :)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2008
12:45 AM

Post #5709889

Lovely pictures! ALL of them!

Adina I see puppies are the same around the world.
Laying on insulation in the Sun! Smart Puppy!

The snow is lovely Rann... like Kiska's ... best seen from afar... lol!
Though the 'S' word is creeping into our forecast too... errrrrr!

We are going to put up a temporary Hoop GH this weekend.
They only take an hour or so to build and should buy us about 4 weeks...

Here's some of the plants I adopted from Marcy.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2008
12:45 AM

Post #5709891

Kelli: "Planet Kelli"--I like it! Oh--what are "wrasses"? That's wierd about the female to male.
EB: your truck looks very serene there in the autumn woods. ;o))
Adina: Buck is so cute! That's a good way to keep the pups out.
Wow, Deb! Great photo of the cloudless sulphurs! Poor lopsided GF.

I brought in my tender plants this evening. Hope I didn't bring in any unwanted critters with them. One year I discovered a toad residing happily in one of the pots! LOL
Currently 50 and due to drop down to lower 40's later tonight.

I went out and took a photo of my flower bed along the back fence. I figure this will be the last "hurrah" for the blooming plants this season.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2008
12:47 AM

Post #5709900

Ric: we cross-posted. Marcy's plants look very warm in that sunshine. I am sure you will be a good "adoptive" parent!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #5709911

Very pretty last gasp marsue!

Here's the east window

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #5709924

A REALLY odd orange double hibiscus

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2008
12:57 AM

Post #5709940

DON'T LOOK KISKA!

One of our European Wall Lizards sunning himself on a log yesterday.

Thumbnail by henryr10

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 24, 2008
2:08 AM

Post #5710139

Marsue, wrasses are a family of fishes. I think they're all salt-water fish.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2008
4:17 AM

Post #5710580

Thank you, everyone! We're having a wonderful time, and are trying not to realize that tomorrow is our last day here. Sidney & Sharon (and Deb if you're available... I didn't realize you lived that close! I should have d-mailed you before we went to Savannah), do you want to meet us somewhere for breakfast/brunch Saturday morning on our way home? Call/d-mail me! :-) I'd LOVE some coleus cuttings, Sidney!! You'll have to give me instructions, too.

I love all of your photos! Rann, I'm grateful with you for the herring! I'll comment more fully later... I'm using my brother's computer and it keeps overheating and crashing, so I want to send this while I still can. :-)

Overcast (actually, it's raining)
68F (20C)
Humidity: 88 %
Wind Speed: NE 9 MPH
Barometer: 30.24"
Dewpoint: 64F (18C)
Visibility: 7.00 mi.

Overnight: A chance of showers before 1am, then rain likely, mainly after 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 66. Breezy, with a east wind around 20 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Friday: Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 72. Breezy, with a east wind between 21 and 24 mph, with gusts as high as 37 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Apparently we aren't going to be hanging out on the beach tomorrow... Good thing I bought that play-doh before I came! I'm thinkin' it's going to come in handy.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 24, 2008
4:17 AM

Post #5710581

23 Snowing ~
ric~hope you get the 4 weeks you want for your plants; thanks for warning; but I was doing a quick scroll and was too late~after my stomach settled I took another quick look~don't know how you ever get used to them; or do you?
Adina~you've been busy, as usual. The puppies will be surprised, I bet.
marsue~it looks just beautiful; good job this summer.
deb~the Sulphers/and Gulf Frit are sweet; the bright orange is just in time for halloween.
E_B~what gorgeous setting for a photo. Very pretty.
kelli~planet kelli~has a good ring to it:) Interesting about the wrasses.
We went to Anchorage today, bought glass and have
projects now in the kiln. Will open it tomorrow and see how they turned out.
Late today; my sister and I. (me in pale green).

This message was edited Oct 23, 2008 8:19 PM

Thumbnail by kiska

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2008
10:40 AM

Post #5710907

Good morning!

The worst of the storm blew over last night, but it is still very windy. Rain on and off this morning and 37F.

Kiska - that's a great photo of you and your sister :-) It's so wonderful you get to spend this time together - sounds like you're having a great time :-)

EB - gorgeous photos :-)

marsue - about the herring - those were my thoughts as well ;-)

Deb - great photo of the sulphur butterflies :-) Well ... it looks like we could be needing a Christmas tree ... but I think the shipping cost would be too great ;-) lol

In all seriousness when I heard on the news last night that there might not be any imported Christmas trees this year I got incredibly upset. The domestically grown ones are just a small fragment of the entire market and there's no way they could supply enough trees ... Christmas without a Christmas tree is just un-thinkable to me. It hadn't occurred to me until they mentioned it that that could be a problem. I've always had a live tree because of the scent ... I really wished we had a synthetic one stashed away in the garage right now. I might go check if there are any left over from last Christmas in the stores somewhere ... I know it's silly to be worried about such superficial things when there are people in the world starving to death ... I just can't help it. We will be trying to get our hands on one of those domestically grown trees - that's for sure.

Please check out this link: http://www.indefence.is/

The Reykjavik botanic garden is situated in "Laugardalur" which could be translated as "Spring Valley". It's named after hot springs there that were used by the women in Reykjavik to do their laundry in during the 19th and early 20th century. This is now in the middle of the city, but back then it was about 3 km long walk over rough terrain and a few streams. The laundry trip could take from 5 - 12 hours depending on the weather I guess. Here's a photo of one of the old laundry basins ... the iron bars over it were put up around 1900 to prevent accidents ... after at least 3 women had accidently slipped and fallen in, sustaining fatal burns.

This message was edited Oct 24, 2008 10:43 AM

This message was edited Oct 30, 2008 5:32 PM

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2008

Post #5710917

Another photo. The house frame now "houses" information about the springs ... there used to be a laundry house there to provide the women some shelter from the elements. It blew away in a storm in 1857. Another one was erected in 1888 and was in use until the 1930's.

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2008

Post #5710920

Here's one of the photos from the information boards ... this is the second wash house, the photo is taken sometime just before 1900.

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2008
10:56 AM

Post #5710929

Here's another one - a lunch break sometime just after 1900. The woman in the center is heating coffee which the boys seem to be waiting for with anticipation. Working-class children started drinking coffee at an early age since milk was a luxury their families couldn't afford.

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2008
10:59 AM

Post #5710937

One more, probably early 20th century ... I didn't include the capiton with the photo when I took the picture so I can't remember ;-) lol

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2008
11:07 AM

Post #5710948

And finally a glimmer of hope :

A transcript of a phone conversation between the Icelandic and British finance ministers that supposedly triggered the British over-reaction two weeks ago was published last night. It pretty much confirms what we've been saying all along ... the financial times have come to the same conclusion today after reading it. Hopefully this will start to unwind this horrible mess ... here's a copy of it - you can judge for yourselves ... http://icelandreview.com/icelandreview/daily_news/?cat_id=16539&ew_0_a_id=314205

and the financial times report : http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/42c0e23c-a153-11dd-82fd-000077b07658.html

If I knew how to post those smiley faces I'd put in a whole row of them ... I'm beaming from ear to ear right now ! :-) Ever hopeful ;-) ...

This message was edited Oct 24, 2008 11:27 AM
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2008
12:55 PM

Post #5711192

Took the day off and am heading out to cast my vote. I'll be back later to comment. It's raining. Here's the weather

70.0 F / 21 C
Light Rain
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 67 F / 20 C
Wind: 3.2 mph / 5 km/hfrom the SSE
Wind Gust: 4.4 mph / 7 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa(Rising)
Visibility: 5.0 miles / 8.0 kilometers
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 1800 ft / 548 m
Mostly Cloudy 3700 ft / 1127 m
Overcast 8000 ft / 2438 m

Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 6 PM EDT this afternoon...
High surf advisory in effect until 2 am EDT Saturday...

Today
Windy. Showers and chance of thunderstorms in the morning...then showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Locally heavy rainfall possible. High 74. Southeast winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts to 35 mph. Chance of rain near 100%.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 24, 2008
1:31 PM

Post #5711293

Ric: it looks as if you took Marcy's plants to your place of business and that they will have a good home there. Cute lizard (sorry, Kiska)
Kiska: great photo of you and your sister. I know you all are enjoying each other's company. However, you can most certainly keep the snow up there in Alaska--LOL
Rann: those photos of the "laundry" certainly make one appreciate today's washers and dryers! I have a silk Christmas tree that I would be more than happy to send you if the cost wouldn't be prohibitve. I wonder if it would get there in time for Christmas? Is there a tree in your garden that you could decorate and have a "living" Christmas tree outside? Thanks for the informative links on the situation there. I wouldn't know anything about it if you had not been keeping us informed. I haven't heard a word on our local or national/international news about Iceland's problems.
It was foggy earlier this morning but it is starting to dissipate somewhat. However, at the current temp of 43 being outside does not seem to be too inviting.
Today
Partly Cloudy
High 67F
Precip 20%
Wind: SW 10 mph
Max. Humidity: 64%
Sunrise: 7:22 AM CT
Avg. High: 71F
Record High: 90F (2003)
Tonight
Clear Overnight
Low 41F
Precip 10%
Wind: WNW 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 82%
Sunset: 6:22 PM CT
Avg. Low: 45F
Record Low: 28F (1981)

Sheer Magic

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 24, 2008
2:37 PM

Post #5711494

18F
Highs in the 20s
Mostly cloudy. Isolated snow showers.
North winds 10 to 20 mph.
rann~so glad to see the glimmer of hope~very good news. The series of the laundry is so interesting.
MySharona~looks as if you've got a blusterday ahead.
marsue~Sheer Magic certainly lives up to it's name; very pretty. Good that the fog is lifting; it's one my least favorite weather conditions to be driving in.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2008
4:27 PM

Post #5711833

So glad things are looking better for your country, Rann! ☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺☺ I can't imagine doing laundry that way! But you do what you have to do, I guess. Always nice to get a history lesson. Thanks, Rann.

Mau, Sheer Magic really is magic! Lovely! Glad you had a good time at the RU.

EB, nice pic of your truck. Love the color of the foliage.

Adina, LOL at Buck! So cute. He really knows how to relax.

Planet Kelli is a beautiful place to live. ☺ Your photos are wonderful.

Those plants look happy, Ric!

39F with 61 for later today. I got 5 peonies in the ground yesterday. Spread worm castings on everything and pulled what are probably the last of the weeds for the season. Now it's time to trim the roses.
Feels like: 39F

Barometer: 30.3 in ↑
Dewpoint: 21
Humidity: 46%
Sunrise: 7:49 AM
Sunset: 6:33 PM

From our Park City trip.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2008
8:42 PM

Post #5712559

marsue - you are so sweet, thank you - I'm fairly certain the shipping would be prohibitively expensive. We'll take our chances on getting one of the domestically grown trees ... if all else fails I guess we'll just have to get creative ;-) Yes those washers and dryers are something aren't they? :-) Sheer Magic is gorgeous - is there a scent to go along with that gorgeous bloom?

Kiska - thanks :-) It's cooled down in a hurry there, 18F already!?!

Celia - thanks to you too :-) Yeah, I guess a history lesson once in a while is useful in reminding us just how good we have it, despite our troubles ;-) OK how do you do those smiley faces ?? lol

We've had rain, sleet and snow today, now the wind's turned and is blowing briskly from the north and the temp's have dropped below freezing - the roads are very icy from all the wet stuff earlier today. Currently 30F.

There was a news conference this afternoon where it was announced that Iceland will apply for assistance from the IMF. They think it'll take about 10 days for the application to be approved by the IMF and hopefully then things will start to improve on the currency market. We still have some rough months ahead, but at least it's not all doom and gloom now since they can move ahead with the IMF even though they haven't settled things with Britain yet. That's a tremendous relief since it doesn't look like that issue will be settled any time soon. According to the IMF Icelanders are extremely flexible, with a flexible economy so we're likely to adjust quickly to this drastic change ... I hadn't realised we had all this flexibility going for us, but thinking about it I think there might be something to it ... at least I've been thinking of which tree I could prune to make a makeshift Christmas tree ;-) LOL If any of you dream of visiting Iceland, now is the time to do it ... you can buy so many kronas for a dollar, that it's "almost" cheap now ;-) lol

Have a good night everyone :-)

Rann

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2008
9:22 PM

Post #5712635

Hold down your ALT button and press 1. Let go and...☺ Voila!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2008

Post #5712733

shooot it doesn't work on my computer ... must be because I have a different character set ... oh well, I'll just have to stick with these :-) Thanks anyway :-)
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2008
10:15 PM

Post #5712764

For those of you needing winter tires, check these out. An Icelandic invention ;-) I've used them for years and wouldn't drive on anything else in winter ... http://www.greendiamondtire.com/concept.html
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #5713008

Chilly. 49 deg outside now. Today was sunny, windy and cold. Our high was only in the low 50s.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 25, 2008
12:01 AM

Post #5713088

Interesting tires, Rann. BTW, we've always had an artificial Christmas tree as far back as I can remember and I turned out all right. ;-)

Not as hot today - might be pretty decent next week. Rain would be nice, but there is nothing in the forecast.

Updated: 4:51 PM PDT on October 24, 2008
86 F / 30 C
Clear
Humidity: 9%
Dew Point: 21 F / -6 C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 29.94 in / 1014 hPa (Steady)
UV: 1 out of 16

Thumbnail by Kelli

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #5713124

Hello all, I've been gone about a week and just caught up on the threads. It is rather gloomy here today, cloudy with a spot of sun now and then. Our total rainfall this month is less than 0.10 inch - we are about 2.25 inches behind. Guess that is because it didn't rain here, huh?

They say we should get a good soaking rain tomorrow. - Just like they told us last week. The hard freeze we had Sunday and Monday nights killed everything but the daylilies. Had several mornings of 22 degrees. Feels like we may have an early and extended winter. With the lack of rain we got this summer, we may be blessed with 8-10 ft. of snow this winter.

On the other hand, - I am living with one I love, we are warm and have food to eat and know how to prepare it. We are blessed.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2008
1:11 AM

Post #5713293

Rann that IS good news!
I have a quick and easy artificial tree for you.
Robyn uses them troughout the yard for our Holiday Decorations.
Just take a tomato cage turned upside down and wrap lights and evergreen garland around it.
Or use wire fence or mesh and make a cone and wrap it... we do both.
Even if you don't use it indoors the girls would probably love helping you make one.
And they look cool out in the yard lighting up the night.

I personally think the local trees would be great.
Plus it will help those in your area who make a living selling them.
The thought not the tree is what's important.

Here's my favorite Christmas Tree...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2008
1:21 AM

Post #5713332

Rainy and cool here today. 48 now
A good soaking Fall rain.
A cold front has now moved thru.
Temps will be in the 50's thru next weekend... w/ mid 30's at night.
Tomorrow we will be putting up a hoop house for sure.
In fact we may use it as a permanent solution this winter.

Kiska reptiles are a fact of life here in the lower 48.
All are vermin or bug catchers so really are beneficial critters.
Even Alligators have their niche.
These lizards are imports from Europe.
In fact Adina should be familiar w/ these guys.
Bugs is all they eat... I've seen them clear out slugs like a kid eating candy.
Plus the cats love chasing them. Rarely catching them though.

Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 25, 2008
6:32 AM

Post #5713969

Ric, yes, I am familiar with lizards, they are all over the field here, even in the city...though, not like here, at the house ! The doggies are eating them and are so funny trying to catch them : they are jumping like cangaroos , I can see them through the tall weeds !LOL The little ones are funny when they come with a lizard in their mouth, half coming out !LOL I'll have to take a picture, they are too funny! I love the way Marcy's plants are at your window. Is that a special room for plants ? Looks so much like mine ! Your yellow hibiscus is gorgeous and I had to take a picture of mine, the red one, just bloomed yesterday!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 25, 2008
6:45 AM

Post #5713981

Rann, I'm glad things are getting better for your country, I knew it would, they couldn't let you go down ! I also love the natural Christmas trees. But they are too expensive , if it's a nice one and not so beautiful if cheaper. Also, a couple of years ago, we went to buy one on a huge snow storm and since then, we decided to buy an artificial one which we still have and it's beautiful, wouldn't want a natural one now! Still, I buy some wreaths made of conifer leaves for the smell and for decoratiing the house. I can hardly wait for the season to make some more decorations of my own and share with each other!
E_B, I love living in the country, we've always dreamed of having a house and now our dream has come true! Love the forrest turning!
Kelli, wow, such beautiful fish!
Celia, is that you ?
Kiska, glad to meet your sister, you both are looking great!
Deb, such wonderful butterflies, great pics!
Me and DH worked hard yesterday to finish the terrace...we had to clena it with a special oil so the white left from the cement would clean up.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2008
10:23 AM

Post #5714122

Good morning!

It's partly cloudy, the sun is out, looks fairly calm out there and 30F. There's still some snowcover on the ground. Today is "officially" the first day of winter and it sure looks like it :-)

Ric - thanks - that's a great suggestion. Love that christmas tree - very exotic ;-) lol I wouldn't mind having some lizards and frogs around to eat the slugs ... ;-)

Adina - The terrace is looking great!

Kelli - LOL - I guess it comes down to what you grew up with. As flexible as we might be, we're pretty set in our ways when it comes to Christmas traditions ;-)

Hope you have a great day!

Rann
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2008
12:26 PM

Post #5714311

Brrr! Kiska, 18! It's 38 here this morning and that feels cold to me. Supposed to warm up into the 70's later and then hit 80 tomorrow. That won't last, though--heading back down into the 60's for highs on Tuesday.
Hey, Celia, they certainly have some interesting "people" in Park City? LOL
That was funny about Adina asking if that was you! LOL
Rann--glad things seem to be looking up over there in Iceland!
Ric, that's a great looking "Christmas" tree--LOL. Those are some good ideas you gave Rann about how to make a tree. I might try that, myself for yard decorations--just happen to have some tomato cages lying around. I need to find some lizards to put in my flower beds--I didn't realize they ate slugs. However, I'm not too sure about alligators having their "niche". They can keep them down in Florida (although we do have alligators in the swamps in southern Arkansas).
Adina: the terrace is lovely--and so claen! The place where your DH is standing in the photo looks like a great place for a flower or veggie garden in the spring. That's a beautiful red hibiscus.

Yesterday the fog lifted, the sun came out and it turned out to be a lovely afternoon. I saw two small golden-colored butterflies in my flowerbed I had never seen that kind before. I managed to get a pic of one of them. The top side of the wings are darker than the underside. This butterfly is just a little bit bigger than the gray hairstreak which I have had in my flower bed before.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2008
12:33 PM

Post #5714328

Kelli: I meant to tell you that the photo of the fish is really great. The blue fish with the little "smile" doesn't even look real!

This is Change of Heart--very similar to Sheer Magic above and yet a different rose. My roses are all suffering from black spot right now---GRRRR!
edited to add: neither of these roses is fragrant. My two most fragrant roses are Angel Face (a lavender rose) and Sunsprite (a yellow rose)

This message was edited Oct 25, 2008 7:37 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2008
12:52 PM

Post #5714379

Good morning! It's my last Saturday off until after Christmas. Actually, I'd rather have a day off in the middle of the week as it breaks up my week and it makes it easier to schedule appointments. Also, if I need to go to the store, it's much less crowded on a weekday than on the weekends. (Did you all need to know that?!? LOL)

Marsue: Try this on your roses to get rid of the black spot.

Mix 4 teaspoons (about 1 rounded tablespoon) of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of horticultural oil into one gallon of water. Spray lightly on foliage of plants afflicted with black spot, powdery mildew, brown patch and other fungal diseases. Avoid over-using or pouring on the soil. Potassium bicarbonate is a good substitute for baking soda. Citrus oil and molasses can be used instead of horticultural oil.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today's going to be a perfect day weather-wise! I love these types of days.

Currently:

Fair
45F
(7C)
Humidity: 80 %
Wind Speed: Calm
Barometer: 30.08" (1018.4 mb)
Dewpoint: 39F (4C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

Today: Sunny, with a high near 80. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 53. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

Today, I hope to get out in my big flower bed and put down some compost and mulch for the winter. I also need to spread my native seeds!!

My Katie's Pink Ruellia is still going strong.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 25, 2008
1:30 PM

Post #5714524

Marcy, your roses are awesome ! Also the butterfly! The place you are atlking about, in the back of our house will be a lawn...DH's request! Still I sugested a few lilies in the back, along the fence. I still don't know how will the garden look like, but I'll think of it as soon as we'll finish the darn cleaning!LOL The terrace took about 3 days of cleaning until it got to look like that...ugh! I had lots of blue words for the workers !LOL The spreaded all over the terraces outside paint and cement which were very hard to be cleaned.
Stephanie, beautiful Pink Ruellia !
It's very cold today and it rained last night, but tehy say it's going to get warmer again in a day or two.
Here's a sunrise from where I live, a few days ago.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2008
1:30 PM

Post #5714526

Also for roses...NEVER water the foliage...
or if you must they have to have a chance to dry completely.
So on a hot windy dry day it's OK.
The reason roses look so killer in lower CA and AZ, NM, UT etc is the low humidity.
Of course I'm talking the desert and dry mountain areas... Los Angeles is a desert BTW.
(Their rose garden outside the Natural History Museum is legendary.)
Black spot thrives on the water drops on the leaves.
There are roses developed for the South.
They are resistant to black spot.
If you grow them they need early morning sun to dry any dew fast.
I grew up helping my neighbor w/ her roses.
She had a test garden for Jackson & Perkins... it was dust dust dust all Summer... lol!
BTW Ramblers are pretty much immune to black spot and almost need no care.
The also don't need full sun and are usually fragrant.
That's why we grow them.

48 here and cloudy and 57 is the forecast.
So of course it's sunny... LOL!

Lovely Hibiscus Amina!

Check the Sulfers here for the Butterfly.

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/taxonomy?f=15&sci=Pieridae&com=Whites and Sulphurs

Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2008
2:07 PM

Post #5714628

Thanks for the "recipe", Stephanie. Where does one get "horticultural oil"?
Ric: I think the reason my roses are suffering from black spot is because of our rainy autumn (ever since Gustav came along) plus the cooler temps. I never water the foliage and my roses do get sunshine at leat 8 hours every day. However, I can't do anything about the weather! LOL I have just been removing the affected leaves and trying to keep the bed free of leaves that have dropped. In the spring I will spray them with a preventative (perhaps Stephanie's recipe) when the new growth starts coming on. I also plan to move 4 or 5 of my roses that are not in good places. I tried a corn meal "tea" earlier in the summer but it didn't seem to help at all.
That butterfly link was really informative. I had no idea there were so many kinds of sulphurs. I think mine may be a type of the clouded sulphur which is apparently smaller than the cloudless sulphur. Confusing, huh? LOL
Stephanie, my dwarf blue ruellia is still going strong, too, but it will most likely slow down after our low temperature of last night!
Adina: beautiful sunrise!

Currently 42 and sunny. DH and I are meeting friends for lunch today and then on to DGS's little league football game. Have a good day everyone!Another shot of the sulphur on Hot Lips Salvia

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 25, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #5714740

16F and dark. Dyson Dark, at that.
Snow likely in the afternoon. Snow accumulation around 1 inch. (added to the several already).
Highs in the 20s. Variable wind 10 mph.

Momma Moose on the lower deck provided great entertainment last night; her twins were below the window, of the sunroom, so it was wonderful being just a window pane away from them all.
Ric~I'm taking this all in, but still have stomach-lurch just reading about them..Sounds like a good project and one you'll have done before you know.
Adina~thanks; the terrace is beautiful; good project, too.
rann~Ric's got a great idea; hope it can work for you, at least outdoors.
:)) to all I've missed.
Taken in April.

Thumbnail by kiska

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2008
4:43 PM

Post #5715039

Sharon: Are you going out to vote early for the pres. election?
Ric: Very handsome lizard.

I'm not yet caught up, but just checking in briefly to say we had 6.5 inches of rain between 11am and 11pm yesterday!

Gotta run. BBL.
Deb
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 25, 2008
6:02 PM

Post #5715214

Moments ago, my sister, watching momma moose.
Windchill: 4F
Temp: 17F
Deb~that's a lot of rain in such a short time. Love your comment to Ric:))

Thumbnail by kiska

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2008
7:19 PM

Post #5715386

Marsue~I get citrus oil or orange oil from Lowe's, but you can get them at many garden centers and feed stores or organic garden centers. I've even seen the orange oil at Wal-Mart during the summer.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2008
8:35 PM

Post #5715694

Sunny and warm. Very nice!! :~)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2008
9:29 PM

Post #5715917

Hola, all!!! No time. Again. Thanks for the pics. I enjoy each and every one of them.

I'm trying to talk hubby into helping me get more topsoil. ☺ I have seeds to get into it this winter.

66F
Feels like: 66F

Barometer: 30.2 in ↑
Dewpoint: 18
Humidity: 14%
Wind: 3 mph SE
Sunrise: 7:50 AM
Sunset: 6:31 PM
UV Index: 4 Moderate

A friend of mine had her baby about two weeks ago. This is Baby Zeke in his Halloween costume.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 25, 2008
9:51 PM

Post #5715978

I am having one of the best days in a long while. We have had a steady pouring down rain all day. So far we have 2 inches. No runoff yet here as it is sinking into the grass and flower beds. Temps in the 55 degree range today and scheduled to go up to 65 deg tomorrow. I spent a pleasant day at home with my hubby.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2008
10:52 PM

Post #5716185

Stephanie, your Katie's Pinks are lovely! I have the purple ones, but they have stopped blooming already. :(
Rann: Forgot to say earlier how interesting I found your pics of the springs.
Kiska: Looks warm and toasty in your kitchen. :)
Se_eds: You must be getting the rain we had yesterday. By the time it was over, we had broken a record at 6.5" in 12 hours.

Nice today, though. Sunny and in the upper 70s.

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 25, 2008
11:00 PM

Post #5716213

Ric is correct - very little rose disease problem here. No Japanese beetles, either.

I'm glad you all liked the fish pictures. I didn't take very many because I didn't know how they would turn out.

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on October 25, 2008
92 F / 33 C
Clear
Humidity: 10%
Dew Point: 27 F / -3 C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h / 1.5 m/s from the South
Pressure: 29.95 in / 1014 hPa (Falling)
(Above Ground Level)

We went to the beach today. As you know if you've been following this thread for a while, when it is hot at my place, it is a lot cooler at the beach.

Point Dume, Malibu, California (PWS)
Updated: 3:58 PM PDT on October 25, 2008
72.1 F / 22.3 C
Clear
Humidity: 56%
Dew Point: 56 F / 13 C
Wind: 9.0 mph / 14.5 km/h / 4.0 m/s from the West
Wind Gust: 10.0 mph / 16.1 km/h
Pressure: 29.94 in / 1013.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 77 F / 25 C
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
(Above Ground Level)

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2008
12:58 AM

Post #5716644

Adina, Small world!
Our Red Double from Marcy started blooming yesterday too!

Kiska I love 'Moose Time'!
The yard's looking Winter already!

Deb that's a TON of rain!
Lovely 'shroom shot!
That's a Photo Contest shot!!

Stephanie what a lovely Pink Ruellia.
I've never tried them... that will change! Thanks!

The baby Bengal is a HOOT kwanjin! LOL!

Our day here turned out to be quite nice.
Sunny and mid 50's... Perfect construction weather.
Mid 60's tomorrow!
We got a lot done on the FPR.
Lots of demolition and we got the east wall corner and sill framing finished.
Turned the corner as it were.
Tomorrow we'll be working on the last wall.

Very cold weather due by mid-week... upper 40's as a high.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2008
12:11 PM

Post #5717628

Good morning!

Cold and blustery this morning, northerly winds, partly cloudy and 34F.

Have a good day everyone!

Rann

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2008
12:21 PM

Post #5717655

Going to be another beautiful day here. Perfect for working outside, but only after we go to church and then watch the Cowboys play. Not going to predict whether they'll win or lose, but I hope they do better than last week!

Fair
57F
(14C)
Humidity: 78 %
Wind Speed: S 3 MPH
Barometer: 30.03" (1016.5 mb)
Dewpoint: 50F (10C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.
Today: Sunny, with a high near 83. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northwest.
Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 45. North northeast wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.

Fall is arriving in North Texas.

Thumbnail by stephanietx

kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 26, 2008
3:22 PM

Post #5718120

15F Dark ~ lots of twinkling stars 7am
Highs in the 20s.
Northeast wind 10 to 20 mph. Local gusts to 30 mph.
Skies becoming mostly sunny by noon..
kwanjin~ Baby Zeke is a doll~
se_eds~sounds like a very nice day, indeed.
Hope the game goes your way, stephanietx.
Have a wonderful Sunday everyone.
Matanuska River is beginning to freeze.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2008
3:55 PM

Post #5718240

Kiska: I can't imagine moose outside my window and rivers freezing over!
Celia: Baby Zeke is precious! since he is dressed as Tigger--who is going as Pooh Bear? :o))
Deb: cute mushrooms!
Kelli: a day at the beach--lucky you! No oceans close to me but we do have a lot of very nice lakes in our state.
Ric: pretty red flower
Steph: good photo of the leaves and berries. Our trees are beginning to turn colors.

Today Sunny
High 75F
Precip 10%
Wind: W 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 53%
Sunrise: 7:24 AM CT
Avg. High: 70F
Record High: 83F (1992)
Tonight: Clear
Overnight Low 41F
Precip %
Wind: N 13 mph
Max. Humidity: 59%
Sunset: 6:19 PM CT
Avg. Low: 44F
Record Low: 28F (1994

Coconut Lime coneflower

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #5718248

Not much going on today. Going to try again getting Darrell to help with topsoil. He ended up at his mom's installing a doorbell, peephole, new locks on the doors and a new screen door lock. Now, if something happens, we can get in. I may let him enjoy his Sunday and just do it myself.

Pretty scene, Kiska! I love the travalogue we get every day.

42F with 69 for later today. High clouds and a slight breeze. Perfect.
Feels like: 38F

Barometer: 30.4 in ↑
Dewpoint: 31
Humidity: 65%
Wind: 6 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:51 AM
Sunset: 6:30 PM
UV Index: 4 Moderate

Thye need more snow before the ski resorts can open. Park City.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2008
4:03 PM

Post #5718261

We crossed, Mau. I love that coneflower. Do you get seeds from it?
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2008
5:22 PM

Post #5718550

Just got home. Gary spent much of the weekend at the hospital. We couldn't get his pulse below 108. We'll be so glad when this is all over.

I'll catch up later
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2008
7:34 PM

Post #5718901

Warm, Fair. nice. hope the same for others.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2008
7:51 PM

Post #5718950

Marilyn, how did I miss your birthday??? Happy Belated!!

Rann, that is good news!!! We were trying to eat sardines for our health and I found I couldn't choke another one down. Now we have discovered smoked herring and I have 8 tins of it in the closet. Prayers for you and your country!!!

Kiska, a glass studio! How exciting!! I can't wait to see pictures of what you make! Great picture of you and Sis!!

Earlybloomer, a cider press is a great investment. I don't even know how old mine is. It was from a great uncle and the steel grinders are like new.

Rann, you're just trying to keep your world normal. I hope you find a tree. Wow, those are really neat pictures of the women doing laundry! We are ever hopeful too!

Ric, you and your wife makes neat trees!

Adina, your patio cleaned up nice. Beautiful sky!!

Kwanjin, baby Zeke is adorable!!

Sorry to not comment on all the pictures. The computer is so slow today!!

50* and extremely windy. The walnuts are flying off the trees. We've had a total of 8/10'' rain over the last few days.

Early, my Dad and the cider press. My Mom's uncle gave it to them and they gave it to me. It's a nice large one.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #5718955

The grinders.

Thumbnail by billyporter

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2008
8:11 PM

Post #5718995

Sharon: so sorry to hear about Gary's fast pulse. Still praying for him and your family!
Celia: the coneflower is a hybrid and won't come true from seed. If it comes back in the spring, I will divide it and send you a start. Park City definitely needs some snow!
BP: what a neat cider press and it's nice that it came from a family member!

Another beautiful autumn day here in central Arkansas--not a cloud in the sky! We are supposed to get cooler later in the week--down to 32 on Tuesday night! BRRR--I'm not ready for this! :o((

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 26, 2008
9:08 PM

Post #5719257

Sharon, I'm sorry to hear about Gary, that's a very high pulse! I pray he recovers and get well when the treatment is over.
Ric, my yellow-pink hibiscus bloomed too yesterday. Your red one seems so much like mine!
Kiska, no wonder it's getting cold here too ! Poor moose, he maybe was hungry! Your sister is from Alaska too?
Mau, beautiful coneflower, never seen a white one before!
Celia, what a cutie!
BP, seems you are busy making the cider with your dad. What is it made of?
Deb, what cute mushrooms!
It's been sunny today, about 52, but the morning started with a thick fog.This is what I saw from my bedroom window.
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 26, 2008
9:12 PM

Post #5719270

Both my hibiscus blooms. You can see the yellow bud and the flower is pink.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2008
9:24 PM

Post #5719312

Marsue, it does make it special. I feel all my relatives gather around, enjoying the press every time we use it.

Adina, since I don't have many on my trees, we make cider from the neighbor's apples :o) She has Johnathons and another friend has Grimes Golden. The last batch was from Criterions. That is some fog!! The hibiscus are beautiful.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

October 26, 2008
9:24 PM

Post #5719315

The pink hibiscus.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 26, 2008
9:59 PM

Post #5719438

Celia, when does ski seaon usually start at Park City? Maybe when they get some snow, we'll get some rain here. Have you ever been to Antelope Island? I picked up a flier on it when we were going through the area. It looked pretty neat, though I don't know when we'd ever be out that way again.

Sally, making cider will make good memories for the kids, if there are any around. We used to do it at may grandma's house using a sausage press. I have great memories of doing that and making cornmeal.

Prayers and best wishes for Gary!

Adina, will your hibiscus bloom indoors all winter?

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on October 26, 2008
89 F / 32 C
Clear
Humidity: 11%
Dew Point: 27 F / -3 C
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1016 hPa (Falling)
UV: 5 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)

paperwhite narcissus

Thumbnail by Kelli

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2008
10:02 PM

Post #5719443

Howdy all,
Just running through.
Love the pictures.
Sharon, Marylyn and I figured Gary's health was not going well when we had breakfast yesterday. Many prayers.
Loved meeting her, Charles and the bunnies.
They were angels at Denny's. I really enjoyed the whole experience.
More later.
Hugs all,
Sidney
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 26, 2008
10:03 PM

Post #5719450

We went over to Orcutt Ranch today because supposedly they have tours on the last Sunday of the month. There was no tour so we just walked around some. It's only a couple miles from our house so it's no big deal that there was no tour. Since you all liked the previous set a pictures, I took some more of some different things.

rose garden and gazebo - People can rent out the house and lawn for weddings or whatever else.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 26, 2008

Post #5719454

This looks like a type of rose that would smell good. It was behind a hedge so I couldn't try it.

Thumbnail by Kelli

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #5719457

Lovely Adina, is it a houseplant?

Kelli, I do hope to make memories with the grandkids! Ooohhhh, 89*. We are barely 48* and will freeze tonight :o(
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 26, 2008
10:06 PM

Post #5719461

yellow rose

Thumbnail by Kelli

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2008
10:06 PM

Post #5719462

It's gorgeous too Kelli!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 26, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #5719472

It really is. Sometimes it seems like I live in a magic, blessed land. It's easy to forget about the fires and 100+F days and all that nonsense.

another section of rose garden, the gazebo, Three Graces pergola, and grotto

Thumbnail by Kelli

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 26, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #5719586

Sorry to get in the middle of your pictures Kelli. That is a beautiful place! Yes, you could forget all the ''bad stuff.''

My last rose of the season.

Hawkeye Belle

Thumbnail by billyporter

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 26, 2008
10:35 PM

Post #5719594

That looks like a kind that would smell good. Does it?
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2008
10:46 PM

Post #5719629

Ric: Thanks for that nice compliment on my 'shrooms. :)
Marsue: Good pic of the Coconut Lime. Now that's a perfectly named flower.
Celia: Yup. That's be some difficult skiing as is!

Sharon: So sorry Gary's having such a rough time.
Dyson: Thanks, we had lovely weather today, too.
Adina: That fog is what I believe the English might call a "Pea Souper".
Beutiful rose pics, Kelli.

63 now, but we got up into the mid-70s today. Sunny and lightly breezy. Perfect!
Low tonight around 50, which is normal for now. May have a chance of a frost tomorrow night, but I doubt it.
Deb
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2008
11:02 PM

Post #5719698

Sunny, warm and windy. Veeerrrry windy.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2008
1:31 AM

Post #5720200

Admina those are some nice looking 'biscus! Good Job!

Kelli is showing a perfect example of the CA roses... they'll look that good for at least a month or so!
There was a pretty good showing even at Christmas.
What a beautiful place!

That Cider Press and Grinder bring back memories.
We used to go to pressings every Fall...
Then in Spring drink the Jack that had fermented!

Well the last of the windows are in... now it's just wrapping and a bit of sheathing to go.
Then some finish roof work and siding... the easy stuff!

61 here!!!!
29 by Tuesday morning!!!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #5720294

Debi, thanks for shooting that rain up here. We had light breeze and temp in the mid 60's today. Beautiful!!

I used to have my kids and I pick apples and take them to a local Amish cider press. We drank galloons of cider - (8 of us) - shared with our relatives, Poured apple juice in gallon jars with 'mothers' in them to make apple cider vinegar also. I wonder how long the 'mothers' last? I know I had some for at least 5 years. And if you don't know what mothers are - you probably would not be able to stand them! LOL

And yes, we drank up all the applejack!!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

October 27, 2008
6:44 AM

Post #5720804

Wow! A long day and I missed a lot while I was busy. Grocery shopping, shopping at Lowe's and Home Depot, and a side trip to Pier 1.

Too tired to catch up. I'll do it tomorrow. For now...good night, sleep well my friends.

Monty communes with the Bhudda...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2008
10:01 AM

Post #5720889

I'll try to catch up later this morning. Looks like I missed a lot.

Coolest morning this season.

53.4 F / 11.9 C
Clear
Humidity: 72%
Dew Point: 44 F / 7 C
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Steady)

Today
Mostly sunny. Breezy. High 72. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph increasing to 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon.

Prissy needed to go potty, but didn't want to after she stuck her nose outside :)

Thanksgiving cactus budding

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2008
2:03 PM

Post #5721485

Morning!
Overnight low was 49. Now it's 57. Should get up to low 70s today. Sunny! Still no fall color of any note.
bbl...

Deb
kiska

(Zone 3b)

October 27, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #5721603

14 Dark but again, the starry sky is beautiful; 6:30am.
Today
Highs in the upper teens to mid 20s
Sunny. . North winds 10 to 15 mph.
Local gusts to 25 mph in the morning.
MySharona~hope the week brings better health to Gary.
Adina~my sister lives in California; it's about 2,500 miles south of here.
Except for the kiln, the glass/supplies are moved and the area is so much better/brighter than where it had been located.
bp~very interesting; bet it's a satisfying job once the processing is complete.
hi to all~will check in this evening.
One of the twins.

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2008
3:00 PM

Post #5721722

Adina: lovely hibiscus--not so lovely fog!
Sidney, it sounds as if you had a good time with Marylyn and her family. It's fun getting to meet DGers face-to-face isn't it?
Sharon, my cactus looks like yours with new buds. Maybe we will both have blooms by thanksgiving! :o))
Kiska, if a moose can be "cute", then your little twin is "cute"--LOL
Kelli: what a beautiful place for a wedding--or just a walk! Looks can be deceiving--I have some beautiful roses that have absolutely no fragrance whatsoever--unfortunately.
Ric: the addition appears to be progressing nicely! 29--brrr!
Pepper: it's windy here, too, but probably not as windy as your area.
It's cooler today by about 20 degrees! :o((
Today Sunny / Wind
High 57F
Precip 20%
Wind: NW 21 mph
Max. Humidity: 39%
Sunrise: 7:25 AM CT
Avg. High: 70F
Record High: 84F (1999)
Tonight Clear
Overnight Low 32F
Precip 10%
Wind: NW 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 63%
Sunset: 6:18 PM CT
Avg. Low: 44F
Record Low: 28F (1994)

BP: your Hawkeye Belle is lovely! This is my Peach Belle--also most likely my last rose bloom of the season. Several of my roses have buds on them which I need to go out and cut this afternoon. If I bring them inside and stick them in a vase they will open up and I can enjoy them indoors for a few days.

Thumbnail by marsue

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 27, 2008
3:01 PM

Post #5721727

41 degrees out, sunny and windy still. We were supposed to get a heavy frost/freeze last night but don't know if it got that low or not.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2008
3:31 PM

Post #5721871

Good morning! We're happy to be home. It was very fun to meet Sidney! We've been worrying about Gary, Sharon, since we couldn't reach you. I sure hope he is doing much better today.

I need to edit/crop/brighten/weed through the photos from our trip, and then I'll post some of them. First I have a doctor's appointment. :-P

The high today is only going to be in the 60s and the lows tonight will be in the low 40s. Fall arrived while we were gone! It'll be back up in the 80s by the end of the week, though. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 9:53am CDT (22 min ago)
Temperature 60 F 16 C
Dew Point 25 F -4 C
Humidity 26%
Pressure 30.59 in 1035.8 mb
Wind Speed 21 MPH
G 31 18 kts
G 27
Wind Dir N 10
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
Remarks Peak Wind: 30 kts from 020 (14:27 GMT).
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 61.0F / 16.1C

Severe Weather Statements
Type Issue Time Expire Time Expires In
High Wind Statement Sun, Oct 26, 8:52pm CDT Mon, Oct 27, 5:00pm CDT 6 hrs, 44 mins
Fire Weather Statement Mon, Oct 27, 6:44am CDT Mon, Oct 27, 6:00pm CDT 7 hrs, 44 mins

What is this gorgeous flowering vine, does anyone know?

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 27, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #5722071

Welcome back, Marylyn!! Looking forward to seeing your vacation photos! Is that a mandevilla?
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #5722356

That's a Mandevilla and they smell like Heaven!
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #5722937

Celia: I love Monty with Bhudda!
Sharon: My T-givg. Cactus isn't even considering a bud yet. Not sure why. Perhaps the neglect I've provided over the summer. :)
Kiska: Love those little moose(s). ;->

Well, yikes! Our lows the next three nights are to be in the mid 30s. It's EARLY to have that! Normal would be round 50! Doggone it.

Brought in the rest of the orchids and anything else that doesn't like it below 50.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2008 6:06 PM
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 27, 2008
10:01 PM

Post #5723258

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on October 27, 2008
95 F / 35 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 9%
Dew Point: 26 F / -3 C
Pressure: 30.04 in / 1017 hPa (Falling)
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)

... Red flag warning now in effect until 8 PM PDT Tuesday due to
an extended period of low humidity...

The red flag warning is now in effect until 8 PM PDT Tuesday.

A long duration of single digit humidity levels will continue
through Tuesday evening... mainly in the foothills and throughout
the Santa Monica Mountains... with humidity levels only recovering
to between 15 and 25 percent.

A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions
are occurring. A combination of low relative humidity... very warm
temperatures... and critical fuels will create explosive fire
growth potential. Please advise the appropriate officials or fire
crews in the field of this red flag warning.

I've got all of you beat. ;-)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 27, 2008
10:02 PM

Post #5723263

a couple pictures from hiking today - buckeye butterfly

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 27, 2008
10:03 PM

Post #5723266

Pacific tree frog

Thumbnail by Kelli

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2008
10:46 PM

Post #5723359

Good evening!

It was a clear, cold day today and quite breezy. The temps didn't make it above freezing today - not sure what the high was, probably around 30F I'd guess, now at 10:30 pm it's 24F. Definately the coldest it's gotten so far this winter ... winter's definately here!

Lots and lots of great photos everyone :-)

Sally - Thanks :-) They're still scooping tons and tons of herring out of the sea ... it's made us a lot of money through the years, but we don't really eat that much of it. And when we do it's marinated, not cooked. I've never tried smoked herring ... It's kind of funny, it's the same with the cod another of our main exports ... Icelanders mostly eat haddoc ... maybe because we can't sell it abroad ?? lol That cider press is a real treasure, must be neat to be able to make your own cider :-)

Sharon - hope Gary will be feeling better soon!

Marylyn - welcome home :-) Looking forward to photos from your trip! I'm glad you and Sidney had a chance to meet :-)

Adina - lovely hibiscus! And some very thick fog! We very seldom get fog here ... I always feel there's something romantic about it ... lol

Ric - looking good! You're making some very nice progress :-)

Kiska - nice to see the moose again. The little one is very cute :-)

Kelli - gorgeous rose garden there :-) Bad news about the fire warning, hope nothing comes of it ...

Celia - Monty looks so regal :-) lol

Hi to everyone else I might be forgetting :-)

Have a good evening everyone!

Rann

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2008
10:59 PM

Post #5723394

Kelli, it has a nice scent. Not real strong.

Ric, that will be a nice room! I love the low windows. Why are some of the rafters shorter?

Seeds, mothers can be very old, passed on, and a good mother sells for a lot of money. The first tree we did was the Johnathon. The straight line winds pushed the tree over on it's side. The apples ripened, but not completely. I noticed after the jars cooled and I was taking the canning rings off, a jelly mass was on the bottom. I'm not sure if that's a mother or not. I've read about it, but never really saw one. I've never had Jack, but it sounds good! Maybe good for a headache too, causing not curing :o)

Kwanjin, Monty looks pretty relaxed!

Sharon, I feel the same way Prissy does :o) That's going to be pretty when it blooms!

Kiska, the twin is cute! I really enjoy it. When DH worked, I did it all by myself. Now my Dad and brother come up.

Marsue, Peach Belle is lucious!

Pepper, we didn't freeze either.

Marylin, welcome home! Glad you had a good time. That is a beautiful color!

Deb, bundle up! :o)

Oh Kelli, I hope nothing combusts!! That is so pretty!! Love the butterfly pic! I'm suprised the tree frog isn't on the end of a watering can :o)

Rann, I really like it smoked. One brand is better than the one we get now. It's jucier and less smoky. Smells better less smoky too. I really love that press!

It was 43* tops, cloudy and breezy. It didn't freeze last night, but it will tonight. I'm ready.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2008
11:18 PM

Post #5723452

Okay here I go LOL!

Marsue _ Sheer Magic is truly that!
Celia Were missing a touristno wait, shes in your park waiting for a complimentary hand treatment LOL!
Rann Im so glad your economy is starting to look up. I can always send a plastic flamingo for you to dress up for Christmas! It would be cheap to send since they dont weigh anything LOL!
Adina Your hibiscus blooms are beautiful and the terrace looks awesome!
Ric I think Im going to give the tomato cage a try this year.
Stephanie I like that pink Ruellia very pretty!
Adina Laughing at the Blue Words! Its nice to know them in different languages, that way no one else knows what you are saying : )
Deb Yes I early voted. Thats a lot of rain. Neat shrooms!
Kiska Love the picture of your sister watching the moose!
Celia Zeke is precious : )
Stephanie How did the Cowboys do?
Marsue The Coconut Lime Coneflower sure is pretty
Celia When will Park City get snow?
Adina We call that pea soup fog!
Kelli Great pics of Orcutt Ranch. The gazebos and grounds are beautiful.
Celia Monty and Buddha have a common denominator the belly! Give that big boy some belly kisses for me!
Kiska Cute moose!
Deb - LOL! I ignore them water once in a while half of one died, the other half is fine. Theyll come back. If not, Lowes is about 3 miles away!
Kelli That is not fair LOL! Cute butterfly and frog.
Rann & Sally Ive never had Herring.

61.2 F / 16 C
Clear
Humidity: 32%
Dew Point: 32 F / 0 C
Wind: 7.0 mph / 11 km/h
Wind Gust: 11.0 mph / 17 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Rising)

Tonight
Clear and colder. Low 42. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Occasional gusts up to 30 mph in the evening.

We got cold really fast this year. I'm hoping my E. Hookeri buds make it through this cold blast. East of Jacksonville will be in the 30's tonight. I have 3 Brug blooms.

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2008
12:41 AM

Post #5723786

Freeze warning in effect for tonight. Will get down to around 23.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2008
12:44 AM

Post #5723803

41F with rain and snow expected through Wednesday. Sunny and back into the 50's on Thursday and Friday. My daughter called from college this afternoon and said it was a virtual whiteout there but nothing was sticking to the ground. She's just 20 miles north of here.

Sharon...I hope Gary is doing better.

Billy...That cider press is exactly what I need. I'm going to start looking for one.

Kiska...How do you manage to attract so many moose to your yard?

marsue...Nice cone flower. I tend to go for unusual colors.

Ric...Looking good! You're getting that project buttoned up just in time for winter.

Deb...I can't believe you tracked those butterflies down!

Kelli...Nice tour. I think every part of the country has its good and bad points. I'm surely not looking forward to winter!

Photo: McConnell's Mill State Park an hour south of me. That's the famed Slippery Rock Creek running past the mill. The mill still has all of the original equipment--3 floors worth. Quite an interesting place.

early_bloomer

early_bloomer

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2008
12:44 AM

Post #5723804

Sharon, lovely brugs! They are an annual here :o(

Herring is good and good for you. It tastes better than sardines! More like fish.

We were saying Yum!

Thumbnail by billyporter

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2008
12:46 AM

Post #5723810

Just downstream from the mill is this covered bridge. It was a dull overcast day so the photos are a bit flat.

early_bloomer

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #5723889

Early, I completely forgot we had a few flurries around 9:30 pm last night. But a white out? Nooooo! I hope you can find a press. It's worth it!!

Wow, neat mill! It would be interesting. We have a small one at Wild Cat Den in the next town, but I don't think you can tour it. I haven't been there since I was a teen and we hiked the trails. I would love to do a jig saw puzzle of that picture. It has everything!

There aren't too many covered bridges left. So nice to see one being taken care of. Sorry to get in the middle of your pictures. I seem to be getting good at that!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5723901

Thanks to all!
No time for much reading tonight... I'm still trying to program the new HD Directv box..
Pretty easy but time consuming.

We dodged the freeze at least tonight... but it was so cool here today we finally fired up the furnace.
No solar gain and 40's temps will cool any house down...

The reason the rafter tails are different lengths is we had to sister a bunch of them and at 24" on center we doubled the number of them up there.
This weekend we will trim and face them.
And hopefully get the last little bit of sheathing done.
We'd like to get some shingles up soon too...

Ric

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2008
1:18 AM

Post #5723962

I see. I thought maybe vents were going in. I hope you get it done before it gets too cold.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #5723995

The overhang area will be vented to control the humidity buildup too.
Originally the overhang was to be 24" but as we bayed the wall it's now more like 12".
Should be enough to keep the rain from hitting the East windows.

Ric

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #5724015

Yes, and give you a good view of the sky when you're looking out.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

October 28, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #5724082

Evening All! I hope that you all didn't think that I gotten lost, but I've been rather busy. :) I had to take a civil service test today for one of the jobs that I had applied for w/ the DNR...Keep your fingers crossed! :D
I went to work this morning (at 5:00 am) & the temp was 51, but when I came home at 1:00 pm the temp was 48. I had to go to Bluefield to take the test & it was snowing. We're supposed to have up to an inch of accumulation thru tonight & tomorrow. The high tomorrow is supposed to be in the low 30's. Prime temp for a really good snow! :D But living in the valley, it probably won't snow to amount to anything. :( But it's a nice thought! :D
There is no way that I can possibly catch up with you all, but I will give it a shot tomorrow afternoon.

This is a "path" that Jack & I walk daily...It's an 1803 wagon road that goes in front of my house.

Good night all! :D
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2008
3:08 AM

Post #5724453

YooHoo Brand new Thread!! Come on over!!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/917896/
Sidney
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2008
3:13 AM

Post #5724474

Blessings on you Joey - and good luck with the job search. That is a pretty trail.

We had a high today f about 55 early afternoon, then steadily cooler. At least we didn't have the snow that some of the western part of the state had. I planted the last of the tulips- now the rest of the garden can fend for itself until early spring. Wow, Great, Tired.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America