calf help needed

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have a friend and she wrote this
sarah says:
got a 3 week old that i got at the sale barn, he got scours and we have had hi on meds for that and he dehydrated but is ok with that now BUT now he can't get up and when you pick him up he can baerely stand and he is not gaining any weight. he eats a full 2 qt bottle of milk twice a day plus a bottle of electrolytes
the vet came last saturday (not yesterday) and gave him antbiotics and an iv but he is still down
he is alert and wants his bottle as he will reach for it when it is sittign on the bale of hay while i feed the others he just can't get up to get it

any help appreciated

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

My guess is that he knows he is weak and is afraid of falling. Can you devise a sling that would support most of his weight. We rigged up something like that for a sick ewe (150-200#). You'll need a wide band of something like canvas or even a tractor size innertube, strong rope, a pulley system to hang it from a strong beam. Spread the support as much as possible from chest to flank. Lift the animal high enough to just leave his feet in contact with the ground. Doing this for a few minutes several times a day will encourage him to try to use his legs. If he is reaching for the nipple while he is in the sling, he will use his legs to get to where he wants to go. As he gets stronger, raise him a bit less so he also puts weight on the legs. Be sure that when he is lying down that he is turned from side to side, and is also up on his sternum with his front legs folded under him. Let us know how it goes.

I seem to remember a thread here about lifting a larger animal with a tractor bucket, and it had pictures.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

This may be the thread you are remembering Mary. It shows the calf held up in a sling attached to the tractor bucket:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/875211/

Hope your little one is feeling better soon martha.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

That's the one! Thank you.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

For a calf of that size we used to use a burlap feed sack. Do they even put feed in burlap sacks anymore? We made like a jacket out of it and tied it to a rafter in the barn roof. When the calf was laying down we propped it on it's chest by putting bales of hay on either side of it.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Did this calf ever get up ?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i dont think so-will ask her and let you know!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

here is the message i got today
sarah says:
yes he is up and doing great!!!!!!!!! the power of prayer is sure a good thing!!!!!!! i had our chuirch do a special prayer request for red!!!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Good to hear!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

God loves the animals.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Happy to hear the little one is feeling better.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images